Author Topic: Where have all the regulars gone?  (Read 16126 times)  

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
Re: Where have all the regulars gone?
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the reminder about signatures and avatars.  I just went and switched off both.  Most avatars are quite clever, but I don't want to see everyone's expensive boob jobs in all their glory.  This is easier than having to complain about them individually. :)

what!!??   *how do I turn avatars back on again?*.  :)

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SamIam

• View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:21 am »
    lol  ;D

Offline luvshihtzu

• View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 05, 2012, 01:15:18 am »
    Sure got some attention from the guys. :)

I have only seen a couple, but it was more than enough for me.  They usually are clothed, but just a bit too prominent and pushed out there just to make everyone really notice.

Offline Pushka

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:37 am »
    I'm one who has drifted away. I did use the "see new posts" link and it was mostly author discussion about which I have no interest. Maybe I will check out the other suggestions for reading this forum. :)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:45 am »
    (shrugs) It looks to me like the vast majority of the discussion is in the Writer's Cafe. That is cool and a perfectly logical turn of events but it is not of interest to me. Not a big deal, things evolve and sometimes you move on because it it.

I do not think it is good for the Authors that most of the discussion is happening there. While it is great for them to be sharing info, it does limit how many people are reading their posts and learning about their books.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: April 05, 2012, 07:47:19 am »
    If you pay attention you even will see cameo visits by some of the old members - Sailor actually posted once in the past week.

So keep watching this space......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:04 am »
    I do not think it is good for the Authors that most of the discussion is happening there. While it is great for them to be sharing info, it does limit how many people are reading their posts and learning about their books.

I think it's great that authors talking about their books is limited to the Cafe. Honestly, I'm not interested in a constant barrage of people advertising their books or in reading their self-referential posts ("well, in my book I did it this way...").

Mike

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #107 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:00 am »
    I'm finding myself visiting and posting much more now that I have my fancy new bookmark to show me new posts only in the categories I'm interested in. It's really making a big difference! Thanks again, Betsy!
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #108 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:59 am »
    Another useful link that I use is
    https://www.kboards.com/live/

which shows posts live as they happen.  You can pick out the "happening threads" and click on "new" for a thread, a members name to see the latest posts by that member, the board to see posts in that board or, near the top, your PMs, all from this page.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:42 am »
    I am assuming that Authors are interested in discussing things outside of books and hence could start more conversations in other boards. Call me silly, but I think that Authors drink tea, coffee, use rice makers, enjoy purses, and might even be able to spark an interesting discussion or two on things like attitudes towards copyright law, piracy, and the like. I am glad that they have a place to discuss being authors, that makes sense, and I know some branch out. Hanging out mainly in the Writers Cafe is not going to help sell their books because most non-authors don't check there.

The topics at Mobile Reads are all over the place and involve many different folks. I do think that it means that Lets Talk Kindle might need to be given a little bit more leniancy in what topics are discussed there. I don't check the book corner and would not find Harry Potter info there. The fact that the books are now available could easily have been left in the more general area and would have attracted more eyes. Perhaps renaming the section would help. I know that I have started several topics and found them in areas I do not frequent and wondered how many people really check into those areas.

Any way, that is my two cents.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:38 am »
    I'm still here lol just browsing for interesting conversations life is busy right now and so far 2012 has been difficult.  So I don't post or get to read like I like too. hoping that changes
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:53:52 am by mistyd107 »
    Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:48 am »
    911Jason, I'm sorry you had a difficult year. You've been missed. You could never post too much.
    ITA
    Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: April 05, 2012, 10:58:23 am »
    Another useful link that I use is
    https://www.kboards.com/live/

which shows posts live as they happen.  You can pick out the "happening threads" and click on "new" for a thread, a members name to see the latest posts by that member, the board to see posts in that board or, near the top, your PMs, all from this page.

Betsy
    How totally entertaining.
    I did not know this existed.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #113 on: April 05, 2012, 11:00:45 am »
     ;D

Harvey posted about it at some point...I collect these things...

Betsy

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 11:02:08 am »
    I'm finding myself visiting and posting much more now that I have my fancy new bookmark to show me new posts only in the categories I'm interested in. It's really making a big difference! Thanks again, Betsy!

I agree - I put that link on my Firefox toolbar so it's easy to find.  Much mo' better!!  Thanks Betsy!
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
    I thought about this a lot before responding..  I can only speak for myself - but when I first got my Kindle - I needed a lot of help understanding how to use it,  was anxious to read all the reviews about the device, covers, etc..  and it was just a lot of fun sharing my new found love with everyone.   As the years have gone by - I realize I don't need a gazillion covers,  and I don't have as many technical issues with my kindle.   When I do stop by - its in Book Corner since I still am very interested in others' book reviews, recommendations, etc.   I  suspect some of us have progressed to the same point as I have.    For those that are new - I'm sure they pour over every post which they should.   There is so much to learn here. 

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:30 pm »
    The topics at Mobile Reads are all over the place and involve many different folks. I do think that it means that Lets Talk Kindle might need to be given a little bit more leniancy in what topics are discussed there. I don't check the book corner and would not find Harry Potter info there. The fact that the books are now available could easily have been left in the more general area and would have attracted more eyes. Perhaps renaming the section would help. I know that I have started several topics and found them in areas I do not frequent and wondered how many people really check into those areas.

Any way, that is my two cents.

PC--

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Mobile Read, being a forum that covers all ereaders and ereader issues, has a single sub board for Kindles, and so, many topics are grouped there.  That works for them.  They, like us, don't believe in too many sub-forums.  Being a dedicated Kindle forum, our needs are a bit different, though we also don't believe in too many sub-forums.  I believe our structure works for most members here.  By and large, we get more compliments than complaints about our organization.

Let's Talk Kindle has always been for the discussion of the Kindle device, its past, present and future.  I don't see that changing.  As for the HP books, there were threads started in Let's Talk Kindle about their availability; those were rightly moved, in my opinion, to the Book Corner, where the people who frequent that forum were likely to see them.  And signposts were left behind in LTK that would be readily visible to any who use the "new" indicator to browse that forum.  Leaving book discussions in LTK would mean that people who go to the Book Corner for information would possibly not see them.  *shrug*

Using the bookmark convention discussed earlier in the thread gives you the best of both worlds.  A well-organized forum for new folk and a way to custom-browse new threads across the forums that interest you.

My .02 worth in return.  ;D

Betsy

Offline IB

• View Profile
      • facebook
    « Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:10 pm »
    I just saw this thread and I find it fascinating. I have a question to those of you who've been around here for a while: Did you find that KB went from being mostly readers to being mostly authors?

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »
    I am lazy, the bookmark thing is too time consuming for me, and I suspect others.

Most of the discussions I particapte in at MR are in the General Discussion and News section. I guess I see Let's Talk Kindle as more General Discussion/News then just Kindle discussion only. But that is me. The moving of topics seems to have picked up in the last 6 months or so. Maybe it is that more people had been posting in the right areas and fewer are now or maybe it is because you guys decided to be more vigilant in catagorizing things. I do think one of the side effects has been a decrease in the amount of conversation because you have lazy people, like me, who don't use bookmarks and don't want to scroll through 6 pages of new topics to find the few that are of interest, and who don't naturally think "Big new release happened let me check the Book Corner."

If we have an area to discuss technical help and the Fire and book announcements and accessories, I don't really see that much of a need for a specific Kindle board. Something more generic e-reader based might help to spur conversations that are important (DRM, Copy Right Law, Law Suits, Comparison Shopping) and would generate more conversation. Then again, the aversion to discussion DRM and all that type of fun might be a good reson to leave things as they are.

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #119 on: April 05, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »
    I'd be happy to create the link for you....  ;)

But I do see discussions comparing the Kindle to other readers (i.e., comparison shoppingi) in Let's Talk Kindle now, and that seems an appropriate place.  And no, DRM discussions aren't appropriate here,  :)  gotta leave something for those other forums.  :D  Not sure what you want to discuss about law suits and copyright law?  We do have a general discussion board--Not Quite Kindle.

Betsy...
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:26:28 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: April 05, 2012, 01:32:07 pm »
    I just saw this thread and I find it fascinating. I have a question to those of you who've been around here for a while: Did you find that KB went from being mostly readers to being mostly authors?

It seems like, but its probably just that they post more

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Bob Mayer

• Write on the River TN
      • View Profile
      • Cool Gus Publishing
    « Reply #121 on: April 05, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »
    They went over there.

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #122 on: April 05, 2012, 01:45:55 pm »
    Showing this again for those who missed it...

OK, here's a link that shows all new replies for the following boards (the number is the board identifier that the forum software uses):
    Let's Talk Kindle (1), Fire Talk (80), Accessories ( 8 ), Book Corner (9), Tips, Tricks & Troubleshooting (2), Not Quite Kindle (4), Buy, Sell, Trade & Barter (5), Special Deals & Discounts (11)

https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,80,8,9,2,4,5,11

Other boards that you might want to add:
    Reviews (26)
    Book Bazaar (42)
    Photo Gallery (10)
    Introductions (3)
    Kindle Apps (53)
    Other Readers (54)
    Apple Devices (56)

Don't see a board you want to add, such as one of the book klubs, or the Writers' Caf?  Go to the home page for that board and see what the board identifier is.  For example, here's the link to the Book Klub for A Song of Fire and Ice:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,65.0.html

The link tells me that board identifier number is 65.

Add it to the above link, with no spaces between it and the comma before.  Take out any that you don't want to see.

So this link adds the Book Klub to the orignal link above:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,80,8,9,2,4,5,11,65

And this one is only Let's Talk Kindle, the Book Corner, Tips, Tricks & Troubleshooting and Not Quite Kindle:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,9,2,4

You get the idea.  (A side benefit of looking at the board identifier numbers is you can see the order in which KB was built.  It's like an archeological dig. :) )

Then add it to your bookmarks.  Easiest way is to build the link, paste it into your browser, and once there, mark it as favorite or bookmarks.  If you know how to add it to the "Bookmark Bar" on most browsers, it will be as readily available as the current "Show all unread."  If you don't know how to add it to the Bookmark Bar on your browser, and want to, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Betsy

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: April 05, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
    I am lazy, the bookmark thing is too time consuming for me, and I suspect others.

Most of the discussions I particapte in at MR are in the General Discussion and News section. I guess I see Let's Talk Kindle as more General Discussion/News then just Kindle discussion only. But that is me. The moving of topics seems to have picked up in the last 6 months or so. Maybe it is that more people had been posting in the right areas and fewer are now or maybe it is because you guys decided to be more vigilant in catagorizing things. I do think one of the side effects has been a decrease in the amount of conversation because you have lazy people, like me, who don't use bookmarks and don't want to scroll through 6 pages of new topics to find the few that are of interest, and who don't naturally think "Big new release happened let me check the Book Corner."

If we have an area to discuss technical help and the Fire and book announcements and accessories, I don't really see that much of a need for a specific Kindle board. Something more generic e-reader based might help to spur conversations that are important (DRM, Copy Right Law, Law Suits, Comparison Shopping) and would generate more conversation. Then again, the aversion to discussion DRM and all that type of fun might be a good reson to leave things as they are.

I'm lazy too - that's why Betsy's link (now my bookmark on my toolbar with a couple of tweaks) was perfect for me.  It eliminates my weeding through the new posts on boards that don't interest me, and lets me just see the ones that might interest me.  I guess we all show our laziness in our own way.   ;)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline sherylb

• Pacific Northwest
    • Member 47
      • View Profile
      • IndigoRuby Designs
    « Reply #124 on: April 05, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

Membership or posts?
    There are more non-author members, but the authors are more vocal.
    (The authors will tell you that they are readers too!)

IndigoRuby Designs
    www.indigorubydesigns.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement