Author Topic: Where have all the regulars gone?  (Read 16120 times)  

Offline IB

• View Profile
    • facebook
Re: Where have all the regulars gone?
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »
Membership or posts?
There are more non-author members, but the authors are more vocal.
(The authors will tell you that they are readers too!)

Sherylb, Good point. I'm such a newbie here that I didn't parse my own question enough. So you're saying that you think there are far more non-authors, but the authors post the most? (And yes, I agree that authors are readers. If not, "down goes Frazier!")

Anyway, my follow-up question would be, if authors post the most by far, is KB really an authors' website? I came here to learn about indie publishing and to meet other indie authors and, for that, it's been great. Already, I've PMed with some interesting authors and hope to meet more.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #126 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »
    No, KindleBoards really is still about Kindles.  Everything that happens here, including the structure, is set up to benefit Kindle owners.  The Writers' Caf, though, is definitely an author hangout...

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline IB

• View Profile
      • facebook
    « Reply #127 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:01 pm »
    No, KindleBoards really is still about Kindles.  Everything that happens here, including the structure, is set up to benefit Kindle owners.  The Writers' Caf, though, is definitely an author hangout...

Betsy

Betsy, Thanks for replying. I was hoping you'd chime in! I tend to frequent The Writers' Cafe so that's probably why I have a skewed view of the KB world.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: April 05, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »
    But let me say that as a non-author, non-admin (just a reader with a Kindle), I like it that authors are hanging out in the Cafe and posting in the Bazaar... I get to find out about neat new books this way.
    And I have met some incredible people who have written some incredible books.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Neekeebee

• View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: April 07, 2012, 11:52:40 am »
    I used to post a ton here, probably too much for many members... but had a pretty rough 2011 and didn't spend a lot of time online. I have definitely been in lurk-mode for most of the past year at least. I find it funny that the first time I come back and actually start browsing (as opposed to viewing replies to my posts) I see this thread at the top of the first page.

KB is awesome!

Sorry to hear about your rough year, Jason.  Glad to see your post, though...I'd been wondering if you were still on KB. 

N :)

Offline Riverrun

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: April 07, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »
    I read 'regularly' but don't post much - because I guess I don't yet feel part of the 'club'  ;D  I have only had my kindle for a few months - how long, I wonder, before I become a regular? Sounds like hard work but a fun challenge! Take care, everyone - I enjoy reading all your posts!

Best,
    River
    "The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means."

"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

(Oscar Wilde)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #131 on: April 08, 2012, 02:14:39 am »
    Sorry to hear about your rough year, Jason.  Glad to see your post, though...I'd been wondering if you were still on KB. 

N :)

That's the great thing about history -- it's in the PAST! 2012 has already been a great year and I only see it getting better! Glad to be hanging out with my friends here again, too! :)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:25 am »
    That's the great thing about history -- it's in the PAST! 2012 has already been a great year and I only see it getting better! Glad to be hanging out with my friends here again, too! :)
    Well I believe that all of us are REAL glad you are able to actively post with us again.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #133 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:54 pm »
    Thanks Geoff!

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #134 on: April 09, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »
    Glad to be hanging out with my friends here again, too! :)
    We're glad to have you back and that your life's improving.

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:50 pm »
    We're glad to have you back and that your life's improving.

and we're glad you're posting again too....

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #136 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
    I'm still here...well, I am a relatively recent regular...but I have really enjoyed chatting with people in here.  I am in a particularly good mood for a Thursday.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Pushka

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »
    Thank you so much for the bookmark tip to limit the "new posts" to just a few threads Betsy! This makes it so much better for me to keep in touch with issues I am interested in. 2011 was a pretty tough year, actually, so was the last part of 2010. Hopefully on the up now.

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: April 15, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »
    I think it is fair to ask about the long-time members.
    I joined just before the K2 was delivered.
    Guess I followed Leslie's breadcrumbs as well as others.
    I enjoyed some like BJ (who was incredibly talented graphically) but was also put-off by him.  Was sorry to see his wife be loyal to her man and go too.  And then we lost some incredible members because of it - Robin Goodfellow and eventually Vampy.
    but
    There were others that just seemed to fade away. Like chynared21 and NeverSleepsAWink and more recently Sugar and Sailor.  Some have deceased like Dona.
    Hey people who are passionate about their toys (Kindles and books) eventually have to go back to work and their families.
    And sometimes you want to know about something but once you have that knowledge, the site becomes less useful.
    I love the "new" members.  Since the site mgmt has restricted "author-talk" to the Bazaar and Cafe, the remainder of KB has been fine.
    Sure most posts today occur inthe Cafe, so use the techniques that Betsy showed us.  I personally find checking on responses to my posts (I post in threads that interest me) to handle most of my needs. And I skim around here and there to find new subjects of interest.
    But I made a lot of friends with the "original" authors - Like Jeff Hepple and Margaret Lake, and Mike Hicks, and Ed Patterson and so many others.  But I have enjoyed finding new ones - like the two Davids. Both write good books and are a gas.  Victorine provides such nice balance.  And I love Chris Marks and Carolyn Kephart.  I have discovered Brendan Carroll and R.J.Keller and Thumper.  And I have fouind a jewel - A. Sparrow. 
    More recently I found Sara Meine - makes Amanda Hocking look like the children's books that they are (IMHO).
    And Monique Martin and Dawn McCullough White and D.A. Boulter and Kathy Bell and Ian Hocking just make my day.
    I love going into the Bazaar and the Cafe and just reading threads.  Sometimes I will post - if I feel that I can add anything, or just to be social.
    I believe that the mods are overworked (and definitely underpaid) and I have great affection for them.  And yes it is true that I do not always agree with the decisions made or the sometimes curt method in which a problem is handled. But you know what?  I respect and love them for the incredible job they do of herding us cats.
    This is a virtual family for some of us.  We hurt when a member dies and also when some member has a "real" family problem.  We sometimes share these issues and try to help - come look at the stop smoking thread.
    So I have written a lot of words.  Many of you already know how I felt.  But if you didn't then I hope this helped with something, somehow.

Just sayin.....
    This is why we love you.  (just sayin...)  ;)
    Fight the Battle-Win the War

KBoards.com

• Advertisement