Author Topic: What is the failure rate for Kindles?  (Read 5417 times)  

Offline BevAnneS

• View Profile
Re: What is the failure rate for Kindles?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 06:50:01 am »
Seven Kindles and each one worked like a charm.  The last four I bought were refurbs.  I also never had a problem with the lighted cover either -- still using it.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:11 am »
    My wife and I have bought 2 Kindle 2s, one of them failed and was replaced by Amazon.

We have one Kindle 3 and 2 Kindle Fires.

So 1 out of 5 of our Kindles failed.

Offline Seleya

• Verona - Italy
      • View Profile
      • Outside of Dogs-A reviewer's Blog
    « Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 12:23:02 pm »
    I have one K3 and one K4, both have worked perfectly from the start, no problems whatsoever.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:51 pm »
    I had my K1 replaced, because the big page turn button got stuck. The replacement is still going strong, although its not used as much anymore. It still is my favorite design out of all as far as ergonomics go.

My K3 I have had since they came out. It did develop a crack in the lower right corner, but since everything else works on it, I just stuck a skin on it and its fine. I just wanted the crack to be out of sight. I can see the faint outline of it in the light and it hasn't gotten any worse in a year. Otherwise its good to go.

I use the heck out of my kindles, I am talking 100's of books a year so they are getting a workout.  ;D

To me though, none of the things I listed I would consider a failure. I never really worry while under warranty as Amazon is so great about it all.

And so far my fire is doing fine too.

But I do think that some people have real issues, with as many units as have been sold, there are bound to be a few lemons in there.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »
    K2--Used heavily, worked great, sold, sold again, still working for owner #3!
    K3 wifi--Part of the initial batch of K3s, problems with spontaneous reset that seemed to be frequent with the intial batch, returned to Amazon for replacement
    K3 wifi--(replacement) used heavily, given away, still working for new owner
    K3 3G--used lightly, still working
    K4--Used heavily, still working

So a 20% failure rate for me.  Though I suspect a software update would have fixed the K3 wifi resetting.  Kindle CS actually prompted ME to return it for replacement, I suspect they wanted to get a look at one that was having problems.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:23:29 pm by The Hooded Claw »
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline AshMP

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • Visit my author website for information on my books and upcoming event. Visit my blog--a day to day journey in the pursuit publication!
    « Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 06:07:10 pm »
    I had a bunch of problems with K3 ... until it was resolved that it was never the device but the case with hinges that was causing the problems.  All things considered ... and knowing what the issue was really ... 0% as well  :)

Ashley Mackler-Paternostro | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline annelb

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
    K1 - worked great right up to the time my husband stepped on it. I had it for a couple of years.
    K3 with SO - no problems at all
    Kindle Fire - Have had it for only a couple of days but I have not seen any problems.

Anne

Offline MagentaSunset

• Southeastern Pennsylvania
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 10:23:04 am »
    4 in our household - two K3s, a Fire and a Touch.  All have been fine. 

Offline Riverrun

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »
    Newish to Kindle, having bought 2 K4s (one for myself and one for dh) towards the end of last year. I was amazed to find both work without hassle straight out of the box. I had a freeze-up once, but I sorted it once by pushing on the power button for a count of around 30 seconds. Mine is in use daily, my dh's almost daily. We couldn't be without them now - and we're those people who swore that nothing could or should replace 'real' books.
    "The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means."

"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

(Oscar Wilde)

Offline tricia2475

• Buffalo, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:28 am »
    K2's~ 2 of them.  No problems at all.  Both were used at the time I bought them.
    K3~  Given to BFF.  Still working great.
    KT~  Pre-ordered it when it came out.  Works great.
    KF~  DH uses it everyday without any problems

Offline CoffeeCat

• in the woods
      • View Profile
      • My Reading Blog
    « Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:13 am »
    Kindle 2 US - Worked fine until it hit a wall and the screen cracked. :( Obivously wasn't the kindle's fault!

K3 Keyboard - Works beautifully never an issue.

KT - Have had to do one hard reset and one soft reset to fix little sluggish things, but nothing requiring replacement.

Excluding the (unintentional) kindle abuse, no failure rate here!

Offline Xopher

• East Tennessee
      • View Profile
      • Apodidae
    « Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 08:47:37 am »
    Wife's K1 worked flawlessly for over 1-1/2 years before it slipped from her hand, hit the floor and cracked the screen. She read on it every single day (including in the bath tub in a Ziploc bag). It was replaced with a K3 (3G) and has had no problems in its 1-1/2 year lifespan so far.

My K1 worked flawlessly for ~1-1/2 year until the scroll wheel started giving up the ghost. Everything else works fine (even if I have to scroll 20 clicks or so to move one line). It was retired just over a year ago (January) with a K3 (3G) that has worked great ever since.

Both of our daughters also have K3s and they have worked great ever since the original unboxing (one even went to Iraq while my daughter deployed for a year).

So, out of two K1s and four K3s, only one saw any type of issue, and that was probably primarily due to use, not manufacturing. None of them have had to go back to the mother ship for defects.
    - Unique memory game for Kindle Fire, Fire HD, Android, and PlayBook.

Offline tinytoy

• Boston, MA
    • Haleakala Sunrise
      • View Profile
      • My goodreads profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »
    I have a Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard WiFi and a basic K4.  I haven't had any problems with any of them. 

Offline slavetoabunny

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »
    My Kindle 3 froze up 2 days ago.  It wouldn't turn off or reboot. I had it for 17 months and it was out of warranty.  Kindle support couldn't do anything for me.  I ran out and bought a Kindle Touch yesterday.

Offline D/W

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
    My Kindle 3 froze up 2 days ago.  It wouldn't turn off or reboot. I had it for 17 months and it was out of warranty.  Kindle support couldn't do anything for me.  I ran out and bought a Kindle Touch yesterday.

If you still have the K3, you might try charging it overnight and then see if it'll turn off/reboot. To reboot, you'll need to hold the power button to the right for about 30 seconds.
    A smile can make someone's day. :) Life is short. Be kind.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »
    had a K2 that worked wonderfully until I dropped it. so it was replaced the replacement still works but I bought a K3 for the better contrast which I've had just over a year and no issues at all
    Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline slavetoabunny

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
    If you still have the K3, you might try charging it overnight and then see if it'll turn off/reboot. To reboot, you'll need to hold the power button to the right for about 30 seconds.

Already tried that.  We did get it to turn off and reboot once, but them it froze back up right away.

Offline pessimist

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 04:44:06 am »
    Consider me the skunk at the garden party, but I find the glowing encomia to the functioning of Kindles on this board to be unbelievable and even hilarious

I love the concept of Kindle -- will always have one.  The access it provides to books is revolutionary and wonderful.  But I've NEVER had a Kindle that lasted more than a year or so, and I've had a couple that failed almost immediately -- failing to turn on/off.  The "troubleshooting" advice was worthless -- the device just failed.  Because the Kindle is cheap enough for me to keep getting them, I'll always do so.  So don't get me wrong -- I endorse the product enthusiastically.  BUT THEY FAIL ALL THE TIME.  I guess it's built-in obsolescence.  Prepare to spend $120 a year or so for the wonderful privilege of owning one.  A bargain.

I suppose I don't need to say so, given my negative remark in the first paragraph of this post, but I have no pecuniary interest in Amazon.  Perhaps the lickspittles who are cheerleading (Why would someone go to the effort of doing that?  Isn't it routine for products to WORK?) might do the same.

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 05:04:11 am »
    DX 10 years, 2nd replacement battery.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 05:10:20 am »
    5 kindles active on my account -- ranging from 2 to 6 years old. And the older kindles were still working fine when I traded them in or passed them on to others.

See this post: from 8 years ago when this thread was first started: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,109654.msg1649305.html#msg1649305 

Between then and the ones I have now, 2 did 'fail' but only because they were stepped on or dropped. (It wasn't me! My brother is a bit touch on his electronics and they were ones in his possession. :) )
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:14:02 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 05:23:53 am »
    All of the kindles that I have purchased since 2008 are still working.  I don't use the older ones because I have gotten used to the lights, but they still charge, power on, and allow me to read.  Maybe you have just gotten faulty devices - I am sure there are some out there.  But the majority of folks on this board have had multiple models over the years with no problems.
    My current daily-use reader is a second-generation Oasis with a 7" screen.  It was purchased brand new in October 2017 and I think it was delivered the beginning of November.  It's been used pretty much every day since then.  The battery in this one is not as good as some of my others - I have to charge it several times a week. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 10:12:56 am »
    Consider me the skunk at the garden party, but I find the glowing encomia to the functioning of Kindles on this board to be unbelievable and even hilarious

I love the concept of Kindle -- will always have one.  The access it provides to books is revolutionary and wonderful.  But I've NEVER had a Kindle that lasted more than a year or so, and I've had a couple that failed almost immediately -- failing to turn on/off.  The "troubleshooting" advice was worthless -- the device just failed.  Because the Kindle is cheap enough for me to keep getting them, I'll always do so.  So don't get me wrong -- I endorse the product enthusiastically.  BUT THEY FAIL ALL THE TIME.  I guess it's built-in obsolescence.  Prepare to spend $120 a year or so for the wonderful privilege of owning one.  A bargain.

I suppose I don't need to say so, given my negative remark in the first paragraph of this post, but I have no pecuniary interest in Amazon.  Perhaps the lickspittles who are cheerleading (Why would someone go to the effort of doing that?  Isn't it routine for products to WORK?) might do the same.
    A what spittle? I don't even know what that word means. Hey, you do you. Thats fine. This is a first and foremost kindle board. Go back to 2008 and you'll see some of us already posting. About the very first kindle. K1. And by the way, mine still works and its now 12 years old. Its a little slow now and I don't read on it as I need a light now. My eyes aged along with my kindles.  ;D. I have actually never broken a kindle. I have had a couple replacements of newly ordered ones because of a screen type fault, but they all still work.
    There is no way I would buy a new one every year if the one I have still works. Unless there is a feature I just must have. I think in the early years, I bought a new one every 2 years. Not because the old one didn't work, but because they added something I wanted to have.  8). I sat outside the other day with my kindle keyboard, which I bought in 2010. Love those buttons still. Couldn't read it inside anymore, due to lack of light.

So yeah, its a kindle board. Of course you are going to find a lot of folks that like them. For many of us it was the first e-ink reader we had.

Sorry yours seem to break so fast. Its not the norm though.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 12:12:28 pm »
    I find the glowing encomia to the functioning of Kindles on this board to be unbelievable and even hilarious
    You should not; the vast majority have had nothing but good experiences with Kindles.

I am an early adopter as well as a purchaser of later models.  All continue to work perfectly.  Does reporting the truth make one a lickspittle? :)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: March 13, 2020, 02:41:55 pm »
    FWIW .... when I saw this post this morning -- tacked on to an 8 year old thread -- I figured it was trolling with en eye to eventually putting some spammy link in the post .... BUT, I also felt like it was fair to rebut the poster's contentions. And we have. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 03:01:19 pm »
    Sigh. I didn't even notice the age of the thread. I blame it on the Oak. Brain a bit fuzzy.
    Course I already posted on it 8 years ago too. Is why it popped up in my posted in threads.

Sigh, there are a few (ends-with-berry) trees I can also blame. And mold. And the dust from vanishing TP.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement