Author Topic: Front lit Kindle on the Horizon?  (Read 5413 times)  

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
Re: Front lit Kindle on the Horizon?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:26 am »
BN trying to beat Amazon to the market? http://bit.ly/Hzmsol

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
    BN trying to beat Amazon to the market? http://bit.ly/Hzmsol

Holy [email protected]* - it's available for pre-order ($139, $40 more than basic Nook).

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469?ean=9781400501717

Though, I still don't get how B&N can claim that Nook is "Worlds #1 Reader". They don't even sell outside the US! My only guess is that they are counting the nook color (which many people buy and hack as a general purpose tablet), and they are using numbers from before the Fire came out.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:00:49 pm by Eltanin Publishing »

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »
    Any idea how this will work for older eyes?   I find the E-ink so much easier on them.   I wouldn't want to give that up.

Offline izzy

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • A Life In Gummi Form
    « Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
    With the discontinued colored lighted cases from kindle I'd be really interested in this.
    My blog: Rabidgummibear.wordpress.com
    I review lots of romance, scifi/fantasy, and YA.

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:51 pm »
    Any idea how this will work for older eyes?   I find the E-ink so much easier on them.   I wouldn't want to give that up.

If it's done well it will be great.  Even better than e-ink with a clip on light since the lighting would be more even.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »
    Holy [email protected]* - it's available for pre-order ($139, $40 more than basic Nook).

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469?ean=9781400501717

Though, I still don't get how B&N can claim that Nook is "Worlds #1 Reader". They don't even sell outside the US! My only guess is that they are counting the nook color (which many people buy and hack as a general purpose tablet), and they are using numbers from before the Fire came out.

This looks exactly like what I've hoped Kindle would do.

When I can, I'll go check it out in the store and see how it looks.

Offline cc1013

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:49 am »
    I've viewed my KTouch as the perfect Kindle for me.  I never even though of frontlighting as I though e-ink technology didn't have the ability to integrate lighting (guess that was backlighting though).  If Amazon were to launch a KTouch with integrated lighting as BN just did with the Nook, I would happy hit the buy button immediately!  While I love my lighted leather case, a slim Kindle with no case and a light that would be less bothersome to my husband while I read in bed would be amazing.

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 08:07:28 am »
    This looks exactly like what I've hoped Kindle would do.

When I can, I'll go check it out in the store and see how it looks.

It probably won't be in the stores until it's available to ship, which is May 1.

Here's a couple of video reviews:

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/04/barnes-noble-nook-with-glowlight.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57413113-1/barnes-noble-beats-amazon-to-the-punch-with-lighted-e-ink-nook-hands-on/

I'm pondering the justification that it would help for me to be able to see how the books we publish look on the Simple Touch....
    « Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:53:17 am by Eltanin Publishing »

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:27 am »
    I'm really hoping Amazon comes out with something similar after seeing the video of the nook
    Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline IdRatherDrum

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:35 am »
    I don't have a kindle at the moment but I want one really badly.  Now I might just have to hold out until the light is announced...

Offline IdRatherDrum

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:07 am »
    I don't have a kindle but now with this announcement I may have to wait even longer to get mine!

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 11:48:48 am »
    If it's done well it will be great.  Even better than e-ink with a clip on light since the lighting would be more even.

If that's the case.. I'm interested!  I think i have tried every clip on light on the market and they just don't do a very good job at lighting the entire screen evenly.   But I'm willing to wait for Amazon!

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »
    I am getting it. The lighted kindle cover makes the kindle heavy in my handbag. I got spoiled when my kindle was naked, but I needed a light.

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 04:33:40 am »
    I'd have to see one first before I'd jump on the bandwagon.  I'm not convinced front lighting would be an improvement over back lighting as far as eye strain.  And any loss of screen contrast would be a total deal breaker for me.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 05:29:54 am »
    I posted similarly in a different topic -- I am interested to see, but admit to some skepticism about whether I'll want to get it.

First, the pictures I've seen make it look like it actually glows.  There are 'mock up' pictures of Kindle which I don't really trust for accuracy, but also what are purported to be actual pictures of the new nook.  They don't seem like subtle soft light to me, but more like they'll still be a bit strong for a dim room.  They don't look much different that back lighting to me.  BUT, I'll reserve judgement until I can see it in person -- hopefully in dim lighting -- because it's the sort of thing that's really hard to capture well in a photograph.

The other thing is that, if they only put the feature on the Touch model, I'll probably pass.  I'm not interested in a touch version of an eInk kindles.  And, after all, I have a "touch" Kindle that's already back lit and has color: Fawkes, my Fire! :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline laurie_lu

• I've owned a lot of Kindles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 08:26:16 am »
    First, the pictures I've seen make it look like it actually glows.  There are 'mock up' pictures of Kindle which I don't really trust for accuracy, but also what are purported to be actual pictures of the new nook.  They don't seem like subtle soft light to me, but more like they'll still be a bit strong for a dim room.  They don't look much different that back lighting to me.  BUT, I'll reserve judgement until I can see it in person -- hopefully in dim lighting -- because it's the sort of thing that's really hard to capture well in a photograph.

Those are exactly my thoughts as well.  The photos look sorta 'fake'.  That type of illumination almost looks no different than a back lit LCD reader.  If that's the case I probably would pass.  But if it's a gentle light that compliments the eInk, then I would be very likely to upgrade if Amazon offered a device like this.

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:22 am »
    Well, the lighting on the Nook is adjustable so you could turn it down for reading in dark, up for dim lighting etc.  But it may still bother those unfortunate to have sensitive eyes.

As I said in the other thread, I'd love this if done well if I didn't already have a K3 and an iPad 2 I can use for dim lighting.  Thankfully my eyes don't bother me with backlighting at all.  Though that could be from not reading for hours on end like many do.  I rarely read for more than an hour at a time.

Offline Cardinal

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:42 am »
    I can't wait for this, I wish it was out right now!   ;D

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:10 am »
    If that's the case.. I'm interested!  I think i have tried every clip on light on the market and they just don't do a very good job at lighting the entire screen evenly.   But I'm willing to wait for Amazon!

I have a SimpleLight which only works with the K3 so far...unless they have their new ones out by now...and it goes on the side and uses the K battery, which I love. It's super light and fits with my flip-top case.

Re: my next K....this will tempt me sorely but they have GOT to update the K software from it's very basic and flat book organizational structure.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

I'm not sure how they claim it's the "first" reader to be lit like this - Sony tried it a couple of years ago.  It didn't do well, hopefully B&N and Amazon learned from Sony's mistakes. 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 05:08:28 am »
    I'm not sure how they claim it's the "first" reader to be lit like this - Sony tried it a couple of years ago.  It didn't do well, hopefully B&N and Amazon learned from Sony's mistakes. 

Well, they can say "first" if it's a somewhat different technology than Sony used.  Which I gather it is.  But, yeah, Sony's effort at the concept wasn't very successful. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 05:55:37 am »
    Yeah, it's a totally different lighting scheme.  The SONY, if I recall correctly, was front lit.  Where this is more of a glowing backlight type thing.

So they are the first with this new tech, and are touting that since Amazon is rumored to have the same type of thing coming out and they managed to beat them to the punch.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:19 am »
    The Sony was 'side lit': in that there were lights in the bezel that shone sideways across the screen.  I don't know what kind of lights, and they apparently were only on one side which is partly why they were less than 100% successful.  One side of the screen still wasn't particularly well lit.  And I gather it really sucked up the battery.

I have the impression this new technology is similar in that it is also side lighting (you can't back light an eInk screen since it's opaque) but that the lighting is somehow smoother and maybe all the way around.  And, apparently, adjustable.

We'll see! :D
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:04:06 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 06:49:42 am »
    Ah, I had the impression the Nook lighting was a layer over the e-ink screen that glowed.

• Charlotte, VT
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 06:53:50 am »
    Ah, I had the impression the Nook lighting was a layer over the e-ink screen that glowed.

There is some sort of layer, and they are downplaying any decrease in contrast caused by that layer by calling it a "free screen protector". There are LEDs across the top bezel, and the layer is what makes the light diffuse relatively evenly down the page.

What I referenced wasn't that they were calling this the first ereader lit this way - they were saying "World's #1 ereader" which seems impossible considering that they don't even sell it outside the US.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement