Author Topic: How is Amanda Hocking doing?  (Read 9501 times)  

Offline boydm

• Seattle
    • View Profile
    • Boyd Morrison author site
Re: How is Amanda Hocking doing?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop in and lay out the facts about what happened with my sales because I've seen a lot of speculation on other websites. I can't comment on how S&S felt about my sales figures; they cancelled the Roswell Conspiracy contract (a one-book contract, not three-book) based on "acceptability" of the manuscript, which is a standard clause in most traditional publishing contracts. It's intended to protect the publisher from authors who phone in their work and turn in a crappy manuscript just to collect the rest of the advance.

The Ark earned out in about a year, counting all the different format sales (hardcover, ebook, audio, paperback, large print, and book club), which is not bad for a debut novel. Rogue Wave also earned out in a year and went into a third printing. The Vault had only come out in hardcover, ebook, and audio when my new contract was cancelled; the paperback didn't come out until two months later. The Catalyst came out a little more than a month before S&S cancelled.

I will let you draw your own conclusions about the business acumen of S&S. But I will say that Little, Brown UK is pleased with my sales history, particularly because The Noah's Ark Quest (the UK version of The Ark) was the number six bestselling debut novel in the UK in 2010.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop in and lay out the facts about what happened with my sales because I've seen a lot of speculation on other websites. I can't comment on how S&S felt about my sales figures; they cancelled the Roswell Conspiracy contract (a one-book contract, not three-book) based on "acceptability" of the manuscript, which is a standard clause in most traditional publishing contracts. It's intended to protect the publisher from authors who phone in their work and turn in a crappy manuscript just to collect the rest of the advance.

The Ark earned out in about a year, counting all the different format sales (hardcover, ebook, audio, paperback, large print, and book club), which is not bad for a debut novel. Rogue Wave also earned out in a year and went into a third printing. The Vault had only come out in hardcover, ebook, and audio when my new contract was cancelled; the paperback didn't come out until two months later. The Catalyst came out a little more than a month before S&S cancelled.

I will let you draw your own conclusions about the business acumen of S&S. But I will say that Little, Brown UK is pleased with my sales history, particularly because The Noah's Ark Quest (the UK version of The Ark) was the number six bestselling debut novel in the UK in 2010.
    Good heavens. Are they idiots?
    I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
    • Reader and writer of fantasy
      • View Profile
      • United States of Vinland
    « Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 03:05:21 am »
    If I didn't have her friended on FB, I'd've known Amanda's books were out because... (keep in mind that I live in Australia) ... I was wandering through my local Big W and saw a display of her books out in the middle of the aisle. *boggle* That's some impressively aggressive marketing.

Yep, I saw shop window displays in bookstores here in Australia. I think she got a fair push.

The United States of Vinland is out now!
    Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline EB Mazza

• Rochester, NY
      • View Profile
      • EB Mazza
    « Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 07:43:53 am »
    I'm actually an avid follower of Amanda Hocking's blog and it should be noted that she knew signing the contract with St. Martin's was going to decrease her sales. She knew she could make more continuing with her self-publishing, but when you're already a millionaire, what does it matter? She was excited to finally be published in the traditional sense--it had been her dream for a long time--and she was excited that she would now have a team of people at St. Martin's to help her. Everyone knows how much work goes into self-publishing. Well, now she can spend more time writing because a lot of that work has been divvied among others to handle.
    If life were as interesting as we all pretend it to be, we wouldn't have fiction :)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:23 am »
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop in and lay out the facts about what happened with my sales because I've seen a lot of speculation on other websites

Boyd,

thanks for letting us know some of the details.  Looking forward to your next book!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline 13500

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:44 am »
    Absolutely, Boyd!^^

I saw one of Amanda's books on the shelf at Target the other day.  :)

Offline Colin Taber

• Australia
    • Reader and writer of fantasy
      • View Profile
      • United States of Vinland
    « Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:47 am »
    I'm actually an avid follower of Amanda Hocking's blog and it should be noted that she knew signing the contract with St. Martin's was going to decrease her sales. She knew she could make more continuing with her self-publishing, but when you're already a millionaire, what does it matter? She was excited to finally be published in the traditional sense--it had been her dream for a long time--and she was excited that she would now have a team of people at St. Martin's to help her. Everyone knows how much work goes into self-publishing. Well, now she can spend more time writing because a lot of that work has been divvied among others to handle.

A timely reminder.

I'd love to be just left to write. Well, at least to be left to write more knowing I have backup for some of the other stuff. If I got a good offer I'd look at it.

The very best of luck to her - and to Boyd.

The United States of Vinland is out now!
    Colin Taber | author website | Facebook | New Release Alerts

Offline MegHarris

• Suffolk, Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 04:11:09 am »
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread, because Amanda posted today on her blog about how she was doing:

http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-am-i-doing-now.html

She seems quite happy with how things are going so far. Switched is already in its fifth printing.

Offline kea

• View Profile
      • Kea Alwang Author website/blog
    « Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 04:22:19 am »
    Actually, the BN near my in NJ does have a display of Hocking's Books in the YA section. It's a separate metal rack facing the aisle. But I do remember looking at her new covers and realizing that if I hadn't read the Trylle series earlier, these new covers would not have drawn me in. The cover on Switched online is what got me to read the blurb.

The Based of a Dream Series: Young Adult Fantasy
    Kea Alwang | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
      • View Profile
      • N. Gemini Sasson
    « Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 05:05:06 am »
    I saw one of Amanda's books on the shelf at Target the other day.  :)

Good selection of them at our local Target and Kroger's, too. I think the new covers are gorgeous, although they don't necessarily stand out from the other books in the same subgenre. Since they are being presented to a new audience, it was probably part of the intention that a customer should be able to take one look at the book and instantly know what kind of story it is. The same thing happens with other genres (HF = headless gowns, thrillers = big block letters, etc.).

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:23 am »
    Something to think about on Trylle in particular is that millions of sales happened before she turned over the rights to St. Martins. That's a huge chunk of the potential audience who has no need to buy the new eBook versions. I predict that when Watersong comes out, if it's got as much YA appeal as Trylle did, Amanda Hocking will be the new it girl in publishing.

I was lucky enough to receive an arc copy. I had a thread here congratulating the KBrs she recognized in the acknowledgments. She did include new material in the paperbacks to make it enticing to fans who already had her earlier edition.

Angel books in movie development
    Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:47 am »
    To the OP,

Keep in mind this factor, also: Her first three books that were put out traditionally (the Trylle series) were basically re-edited reprints by her print publisher. She offered them and they printed them largely because of the movie option (which happened before she was signed by a trad-pub).

Also, keep in mind that Amanda was approached by the screenwriter herself on that movie option. While her agent handled the details, she never sought to have a ton of input on the movie herself... so when you write that she doesn't have much input on the movie, that's not something she sought, and also it's not something the trad-pub "did" to her.

There's dual thinking on the part of her publisher, here: 1) If the movie gets made and hits anything close to big (like, TWILIGHT or HUNGER GAMES big), the print sales and ebook sales will be huge. But, 2) she'd already sold a lot of copies of the original indie version at a much lower price, so I don't know that they were expecting sales to be Top 10 or anything. Not with the Trylle series, at any rate.

Also, they didn't offer $2M for the Trylle series. That was a throw in, a slight risk on their part, a gamble that the movie gets made and could do well.

What they paid her $2M for was the all-new, never-before-published WATERSONG series she's writing. Which I think is mermaid-y stuff.

For that series of four books, you can bet they're going to put a lot more muscle behind it, because they paid a premium advance on it. They want to make money on it, so they're highly motivated to push the WATERSONG books hard.

That said, I've seen the Trylle releases in my local B&N (and even at Costco) with a window poster for the first one, and standees for each of the releases, and featured on special New Release tables in the stores.

So, for a slightly lower-profile re-release, I think Amanda's getting decent results and decent push.

And I expect the really big push will come when the first Watersong book comes out this fall.

Amanda's currently finishing up Book 3 of that series, according to her blog. I think they kept her schedule for Trylle light because they wanted her to not be too distracted in writing the series they laid out big money for.

$500,000 per installment is a gigantic advance, in this day and eBook age, for a "first-time to be traditionally published" author. :) If that series does well and she decides to sell another series to trad-pubs, I expect the bidding war will be even bigger.

Time will tell.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:35:07 am by CraigInTwinCities »
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 05:50:01 am »
    To Craigintwincities -  Her film deal happened after she had an agent, and in conjunction time-wise with the paperback deal.

Here's the announcement about the film deal: http://www.mrcstudios.com/pages/news_reader.aspx?page=1&articleid=74713083-c27b-444f-b3db-9eb70126c4f7
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:27:09 am by LisaGraceBooks »

Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
      • Ruth Nestvold's blog
    « Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:02 am »
    Thanks for this thread, folks. I too read the Passive Guy article. This is a great corrective.

Ruth Nestvold

Blog   Twitter

Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF

Offline Septemberlynngray

• St. Louis, Missouri
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:05 pm »
    I don't have any real numbers, but I can say that everytime I went to Wal-mart Switched was either sold out or maybe there was one copy left that first month. I'd say that's a good sign.

Offline Paul Clayton

• Third Planet from the sun.
    • Paul Clayton
      • View Profile
      • Carl  Melcher Goes to Vietnam
    « Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
    I was in Drug Barn.  Next to the Sympathy cards.  How far I've fallen.  I need a drink.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 03:38:58 pm »
    To Craigintwincities -  Her film deal happened after she had an agent, and in conjunction time-wise with the paperback deal.

It was probably closer-aligned in time, as you suggest, behind the scenes.

But I do know the screenwriter approached her and the film negotiation was handled by her agent. It was part of why she sought out an agent, as I recall.

She was probably already having her agent auction the rights to Watersong by fall 2011, or preparing to, but she didn't publicly announce the print-pub deal until late winter/early spring 2011, whereas she was talking about the film deal as early as late fall/early winter 2010, because the screenwriter contacted her a couple months after the summer 2010 release of District 5.

I know she announced having an agent in late summer/early fall of 2010, and the film rights were being handled by the agent.

The agent handled the auctioning of rights to Watersong in the winter and I believe her trad-pub deal was finalized in March or thereabouts.

That's how I recall it, anyway; I did a huge interview with her around August/September 2010, before everything went wild for her. By the time of my interview, she had her agent secured and was talking about a possible film script by the District 5 screenwriter, but Watersong had not been auctioned off yet and she was mum about it at that point, never even mentioned it.

By winter 2010/2011, her life got really busy and successful and that's when she wasn't able to stop by here as often.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:42:39 pm by CraigInTwinCities »
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »
    It was probably closer-aligned in time, as you suggest, behind the scenes.

But I do know the screenwriter approached her and the film negotiation was handled by her agent. It was part of why she sought out an agent, as I recall.

I was approached the first time, (by a producer I did not sign with) a year before the second one did and that was when I only had the hardcover. Then there were talks. But that doesn't mean there is a deal. It took over five months, (after receiving the contract in writing) of negotiations before my deal was signed, and I'm sure (from what I've read) she secured her agent before a contract was offered. I emailed my offer emails to agents (trying to secure one) before I got my contract, but it didn't happen, so I hired a lawyer instead.

I believe I'm one of the first self-publishers to sign a movie deal without an agent or a book deal on the table.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 04:01:20 pm »
    I was approached the first time, (by a producer I did not sign with) a year before the second one did and that was when I only had the hardcover. Then there were talks. But that doesn't mean there is a deal. It took over five months, (after receiving the contract in writing) of negotiations before my deal was signed, and I'm sure (from what I've read) she secured her agent before a contract was offered. I emailed my offer emails to agents (trying to secure one) before I got my contract, but it didn't happen, so I hired a lawyer instead.

I believe I'm one of the first self-publishers to sign a movie deal without an agent or a book deal on the table.

Well, I don't know about your history. I take your word for what you did/experienced.

I know some of Amanda's history at that time, because I interviewed her and the timing of my interview.

Amanda's film deal was a bit nontraditional.

It wasn't like she was approached by a film company, production house or anything like that.

The writer of DISTRCT 5 actually read her Trylle books (actually, I think only two of them were out at the time, the third hadn't been released... not sure), or had at least read SWITCHED, and contacted Amanda directly through her Web site.

Also, as I recall, it wasn't a super-formal production agreement deal. It was the screenwriter contacting her as a fan of SWITCHED and saying, "I'd like to develop this. I think I can do something with it, sell it, and get it made, but no guarantees."

Around the time that was happening, Amanda sought out and secured an agent to handle the details.

It was not linked to the book deal with her print publisher, though. She didn't have a print deal for another half-year or so.

Offline NoCat

• View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
    Do you mean District 9, the SA alien film? What's District 5?

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »
    Well, when memory is foggy, it always pays to go back and LOOK. ;)

On Amanda's blog, I discovered this:

SWITCHED was released in June-July 2010.

TORN was released in November 2010.

In between there, she secured her agent.

December 2010, she delayed the release of ASCEND because "good things" were happening that she couldn't talk about.

One of those things was the District 5 screenwriter contacting her, as later entries revealed.

The other thing was her agent putting Watersong up for auction, and promising her that he'd try to secure a print re-publishing deal on the Trylle trilogy in the process, so that there would be extremely well-edited versions of those books out and available by the time/if the movie came out.

All that happened and played out.

So yeah, it was closer. But as Amanda relates it, the screenwriter did contact her as a fan of SWITCHED and things started from there.

Wait. I thought Switched and the other Trylle books were already out. Are these new books in the series?
    No. Switched, Torn, and Ascend were previously self-published, but St. Martin's bought the English world rights to them in early 2011. I unpublished all three books in mid-2011. Since then, they've gone through an editing process and are being re-released in both ebook and paperback. Switched came out January 3, 2012, Torn February 28, 2012, and Ascend April 24, 2012. There are still only 3 books in the trilogy.

http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/p/whats-deal-with-movie.html

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/trylle-trilogy-film-rights-are-sold/

So, the film rights being sold was finalized a week after she signed with St. Martins, in March 2011, though the origins of the deal go back earlier. I was remembering the origins of her contact with Terri Tatchell, whereas this is the final, formalized deal.

Ms. Tatchell, who is married to Neill Blomkamp, the director of “District 9,” brought the Trylle books to the attention of Media Rights Capital, she said. She developed an early relationship with Ms. Hocking, e-mailing her soon after “Switched” was published. “I was mildly obsessed,” Ms. Tatchell said. “She wrote back right away, and we immediately hit it off.”

So Ms. Tatchell contacted Ms. Hocking in the summer of 2010. Before she had secured the agent and before Watersong was sold. The formalizing of the deal took about nine months and was handled by the Axelrod Agency, but the formal stuff sprung out of personal contact between Hocking and Tatchell, much earlier than March 2011. The journey started in Summer 2010.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:33:30 pm by CraigInTwinCities »

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »
    The ones who contacted me read the book(s) and loved them too. Producers and screenwriters do start out as fans.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »
    Do you mean District 9, the SA alien film? What's District 5?

You're right, of course. District 9. I remembered the film name incorrectly.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »
    The ones who contacted me read the book(s) and loved them too. Producers and screenwriters do start out as fans.

Cool, isn't it?

Charlaine Harris' TRUE BLOOD deal came about because the HBO producer behind the show, Alan Ball, had just finished up his previous HBO series, SIX FEET UNDER, and was looking for a new property. He spotted a copy of DEAD UNTIL DARK in an airport bookstore, the tagline "Maybe dating a vampire wasn't such a good idea" or something like that, appealed to him. He read it on his flight, and contacted her shortly thereafter.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 06:24:54 am »
    Just thought I'd add this to the "How is she doing" thread...got this email today from Amazon:

And, for those tempted to click, as I am....here's the link: Wake*

Betsy

*This is not self promotion.  I am not Amanda Hocking, nor am I related to her, employed by her or know her.  I am not an employee of Amazon or her publishing company. Link provided only because I clicked through to check out the book and thought others might be interested, too.
    ;) 
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:34:26 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement