Author Topic: ACOK the book vs GOT season 2  (Read 1541 times)  

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
ACOK the book vs GOT season 2
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »
Anyone want to compare/contrast season 2 of GoT with A Clash of Kings? I have some pretty strong feelings on a couple of things. Overall I liked it (they REALLY salvaged some stuff with that last ep!) but they made some odd departures, probably for budget and casting purposes. I hear ASOS is going to be split into 2 seasons so maybe we won't get such a truncated experience for the next book.

Anyway, through out some thoughts. I'll post my critique in a bit. Still in morning that I'll have to wait 10 months for more GoT :(

BTW, anyone score the ASOIAF cookbook? Soooo many good ideas in there!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline DYB

• NYC
    • Now Reading: "'Salem's Lot"
      • View Profile
    Re: ACOK the book vs GOT season 2
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
    Well, I enjoy the show a lot.  But I had some reservations for the changes they made.  I don't get them and others just flat out disagree with.  Like what they did to Stannis.  Him...ahhh...frolicking with Melisandre (and the shadow baby killing Renly looking just like him) turns him into a villain.  And in the books he's really not.  He's uncompromising, but honorable.  In the movies they have completely changed that and I don't really like it.

They have completely wasted Bran.  So little depth to him this season, whereas in the books he awakens to his - still mysterious - powers. 

They have also made Cersei so much more likable  on the show than she is in the books.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The only really major change I did enjoy was bringing Tywin and Arya together.  Those scenes were fun and it's fascinating watching a young newcomer going head-to-head with a pro like Charles Dance - and holding her own.

Also, Theon comes across as a bit more likable on the show, which is fine.  Liked the scene (not in the book) where he executes Ser Rodrik and Rodrik says: "You are truly lost, Theon Greyjoy."  Powerful moment.

Jon was also somewhat disappointing.  I didn't like most of his scenes with Ygrette.  She's really annoying on the show.  I wish he'd killed her!  :-\

I also don't love Petyr Baelish.  Partially because I don't really like the actor.  I find him awkward.  But his character also does too much shuttling between the various houses (highly unrealistic) in the second half of the show.  And he makes some ridiculous mistakes, like basically telling Cersei he knows about her affair with Jaime.  The Petyr of the books is much too smart and subtle to be that stupid.

I do like the actor playing Varys a lot.  He's perfect.

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:35:54 am »
    Yeah, the show is stuck in a difficult place with regards to the actors. ASOIAF is just too diverse with too many unconnected storylines to make for easy viewing. No way they could just not show Robb for a whole year, for example. Then they have to worry about casting someone for a single scene (like if they introduced the Reed siblings or Ramsey/Reek) and then try to carry them on for later seasons. So those roles get condensed or reassigned.

I'm most upset with Robb. It is one thing to have him fall for a maiden Jeyne Westerling while healing from a wound and being relatively isolated from good counsel. It is a whole different matter to have him fall for an exotic vagrant despite having his MOTHER right there telling him it is foolish. Makes Robb seem much weaker IMHO. I also didn't much care for having Jon and Ygritte run around so much instead of him and Quorin on the run together. I think Quorins death would have been much more powerful if it stayed true to the book. Plus the decision to have the land beyond the wall be a treeless frozen tundra, while pretty, makes getting lost or anything really silly when you are wearing jet black against white. And where the hell was Ghost?

I liked what they did with Dany in Quarth. I've always wondered why no one just killed her and took the dragons. Of course in the book she had a greater number of dothraki with her, but still, it was nice to see someone try to push her around.

I'll have to go back and watch it again, but I did find a description of Ser Dontos' breastplate in ASOS. IIRC on the show he had a sorta "Captain America" color scheme that seemed odd. The book design is similar with stars over stripes, but the colors are a bit different. Probably a meaningless change, but just can't help but wonder if there was a dig in there somewhere.

I can understand why they reduced the number of rulers of Harrenhall, but no Vargo Hoat makes me wonder how they will handle some of the parts of ASOS (trying to keep this spoiler free). Maybe the Brotherhood without Banners will stand in for Vargo.

I didn't mind the Stannis sex. I'm a proponent that it is true to the books anyway. Shadowbabies probably come from blood rather than semen but I'm not gonna argue :P

While I didn't mind Roz last season, I didn't enjoy her as much this one. Maybe the move away from sexposition made her irrelevant. Of course they must still have plans for her if Varys is wooing her from Littlefinger. I guess Roz is the mechanism to keep Littlefinger in the show.

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:13:15 am »
    Some of the changes on the show mystify me, for example:
    -Still giving Sandor's lines with Sansa to LF
    -LF actually confronting Cersei with damning knowledge about her
    -Talisa vs. Jeyne Westerling and Robb succumbing to LOVE rather than his sense of honor
    -Bronn and Sandor sparring before Blackwater
    -Last shot of the Others and wights ignoring Sam - is he that pathetic they don't even want him in the army of the dead?

The changes I really liked were a more sympathetic (though angry drunk) Cersei and Daenerys actually having something to do onscreen.

I'm not a book purist (and think the books have their own faults), but if a change is made, it should at least make sense or not significantly alter a character or storyline. Now I'm looking forward to a certain wedding and some character departures onscreen, because they've already been butchered. 

Lisa J. Yarde | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+ | youtube

Offline DYB

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:43:40 am »
    Some of the changes on the show mystify me, for example:
    -Still giving Sandor's lines with Sansa to LF
    -LF actually confronting Cersei with damning knowledge about her
    -Talisa vs. Jeyne Westerling and Robb succumbing to LOVE rather than his sense of honor
    -Bronn and Sandor sparring before Blackwater
    -Last shot of the Others and wights ignoring Sam - is he that pathetic they don't even want him in the army of the dead?

The changes I really liked were a more sympathetic (though angry drunk) Cersei and Daenerys actually having something to do onscreen.

I'm not a book purist (and think the books have their own faults), but if a change is made, it should at least make sense or not significantly alter a character or storyline. Now I'm looking forward to a certain wedding and some character departures onscreen, because they've already been butchered. 

I agree with all of these!  Except possibly Cersei being more likable.  Although it's true that she's drunk at the time.  As far as the Wedding, my guess is it won't happen for a few seasons because they are splitting book 3 in two parts and will begin folding future books into it.  So at the earliest I think it will be in season 4.  Although it'd be a great cliffhanger for end of 3 too!  But my guess is they will try to keep that character around for as long as they can since this person has a fan following.

And with Sam at the end - didn't understand that at all.  I mean, I get that they needed to show the (CGI) Others and wights, but they didn't need Sam to be there in the middle of the horde.  And nobody tries to kill him?  Where is that storyline going?

Offline jason10mm

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:03:36 am »
    My guess is that they don't want to show the battle at the fist, so Sam will run into the survivors later. Wish the Others were on spiders though.....

I think the wedding will be ep 9 of season 3, they may even do them both together :) probably not though. ASOS has a lot after those events though, way more than could be done in just a few eps, so maybe?

Anyway...

I don't much care for LF popping up all the time as it shows his hand too early, but I like the actor ( and the sexposition:p so I'll forgive it! The Hound is taking a beating on the show, he is probably the least developed, though this should change next season.

As for Dany, are we gonna get strong Belwas and Arstan? Now that she is looting instead of getting gifts from Illyrio I still hope those two show up. I heard a rumor/theory that Roz was gonna be sent to her by Varys, perish the thought! She would be the most travelled whore on the planet! She could pull off Belwas' tiny vest though :p

What about Osha staying with Bran? I think the Reeds will still show up, but then they lose a moderately famous actress. Tough choices.

Offline DYB

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:33 am »
    My guess is that they don't want to show the battle at the fist, so Sam will run into the survivors later. Wish the Others were on spiders though.....

I think the wedding will be ep 9 of season 3, they may even do them both together :) probably not though. ASOS has a lot after those events though, way more than could be done in just a few eps, so maybe?

Anyway...

I don't much care for LF popping up all the time as it shows his hand too early, but I like the actor ( and the sexposition:p so I'll forgive it! The Hound is taking a beating on the show, he is probably the least developed, though this should change next season.

As for Dany, are we gonna get strong Belwas and Arstan? Now that she is looting instead of getting gifts from Illyrio I still hope those two show up. I heard a rumor/theory that Roz was gonna be sent to her by Varys, perish the thought! She would be the most travelled whore on the planet! She could pull off Belwas' tiny vest though :p

What about Osha staying with Bran? I think the Reeds will still show up, but then they lose a moderately famous actress. Tough choices.

What would Roz do with Dany?  Whose side is Varys on anyway?

Well, Arstan should already be cast, no?  I just got to that part in the book...  ;)  Actually, someone just pointed out to me that The Mountain is played by different actors in the two seasons so far.  The original actor is doing "The Hobbit."  So there might be other actors they lose if they're not using them consistently.

The Reeds are definitely showing up next season.  They've already been announced by the showrunners.  But I do agree with you about losing Natalia Tena as Osha.  She is moderately famous.  Would they want to lose her?  Maybe they'll keep Rickon and Bran together for a while.  (It's for that same reason I wonder if RW will come later rather than sooner.  They can keep a certain someone around longer.)  For example, we see nothing of Theon Greyjoy in book 3.  Will they really do that in the show?  Absolutely not.  So they'll pull his stories from later books into season 3.  Which will add some time, and they can really push book 3 into more than just seasons 3 and 4.  That book can keep going into season 5.  (Although I'm not sure what the RW victims will do for all that time, but no doubt they can come up with something silly.)

Offline Lisa J. Yarde

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Lisa J. Yarde, Author
    « Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:50 am »
    What would Roz do with Dany?  Whose side is Varys on anyway?

Well, Arstan should already be cast, no?  I just got to that part in the book...  ;)  Actually, someone just pointed out to me that The Mountain is played by different actors in the two seasons so far.  The original actor is doing "The Hobbit."  So there might be other actors they lose if they're not using them consistently.

That's easy; Varys is on his side, always has been. As for what Dany could do with Ros, just keep reading and remember Dany's handmaiden Irri (who they killed off for some reason).

I miss the actor Conan Stevens who played the Mountain last season. The new guy just doesn't have the physical presence. Tall yes, but he lacks Gregor's ferocity.

Lisa J. Yarde | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+ | youtube

Offline KindleGyrl

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:46:37 pm »
    Help me with my confusion please :).  Did season 2 consist of parts from Book 3?  I was discussing season 2 with a coworker, and he mentioned some things, that I didn't remember from Book 2. 

Offline DYB

• NYC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:59 pm »
    Help me with my confusion please :).  Did season 2 consist of parts from Book 3?  I was discussing season 2 with a coworker, and he mentioned some things, that I didn't remember from Book 2. 

Yes, season 2 of the show pulled a few things from book 3.  It also made up things that don't happen in any book.

Offline KindleGyrl

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »
    Thank you!! :)

Yes, season 2 of the show pulled a few things from book 3.  It also made up things that don't happen in any book.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement