Author Topic: M-Edge e-Luminator 2 Review  (Read 7159 times)  

Offline stargazer0725

• Texas
    • View Profile
M-Edge e-Luminator 2 Review
« on: July 30, 2009, 08:16:46 am »
I received the latest model of the M-Edge e-Luminator booklight the other night and have had a chance to compare the upgrade against the older model.  Heres how it stacked up:
The E2 is the same relative size as the E1 and lays neatly along the spine of the M-Edge case. 

There have been several modifications to the design all of which are an improvement over the old design:

Power Switch The power switch now resides on the side of the light housing, instead of the tip.  Center position is off, and on either side of center resides the low intensity and high intensity beams.  Very simple to access and operate.  There is a slight difference between the 2 intensities, but not a significant one.  I'll probably just use low for the time being.

Flexible Neck The neck is now made out of enameled flexible steel.  It is VERY flexible and maintains its position exceptionally well (unlike the previous version which was a bit like bending a rubber tube with a pipe cleaner in the middle).

Battery Compartment The battery compartment now houses a AAA battery, making the compartment larger.  And although the basic design of the battery compartment cap is the same, they have upgraded the materials and it seems to be a much better fit with less likelihood of stripping or popping off.

Swivel Point This is my only concern where it comes to the new design.  The swivel point was designed in the center of the battery compartment, so when you swivel the light arm up from its stored position, the top of the battery compartment descends deeply along the spine of the cover.  However, if you keep rotating the light 180 degrees, the battery compartment will pass over the spine completely and lay neatly alongside the spine.  Not sure how this will hold up over time with the battery compartment cap rubbing against the inside of the spine every time you use the booklight, but time will tell.  My preference would have been to position the pivot point HIGH on the battery compartment, so a smaller portion of the battery compartment would rub on the inside of the case.

Battery Life - TBD

All told, I am very happy with my purchase and I believe M-Edge made some very good improvements to the design.  Some people would like to see an AC adapter port for use with rechargable batteries, but I much prefer traveling lean and mean (which I believe is the intent of this particular light design)...one extra battery for a week long trip should probably suffice.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jesslyn

• Los Angeles Area, CA
      • View Profile
      • My Kindle Stuff
    Re: M-Edge e-Luminator 2 Review
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:19 am »
    I find that my cover (M-edge Prodigy) no longer closes evenly.  The top cover now seems shorter than the back cover.  The Kindle and back cover now are slightly visible.  I'm bummed.  I have the GO! cover which has a small extra space, but no pocket for the light and the Prodigy cover that no longer fits as well.  I really don't want to spring for another cover.

Kindleboards Member #195 and Proud Kindler since 2008
    Samsung Note 3
    Nexus 5
    Kindle Fire 8.9 (rooted)
    Nexus 7
    Kindle Keyboard
    Kindle Touch
    Apple iPad mini

Offline Athenagwis

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:03 am »
    I find I can use the light without swiveling it at all, I did not like the pivot point either and the way it rubbed on the cover, I wish the had that point higher, but I have found that I can angle the light just fine without pivoting it at all, which is easier anyway.

Rachel

Offline stargazer0725

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:49:47 am »
    I agree, Athenagwis.  The design of the flexible next is MUCH better.  Easier to position, much more flexible and it STAYS PUT!

Offline skanter

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33:32 pm »
    The swiveling is a confusing issue.

On mine, and i assume all of them, there are points at which the unit stops and needs more force to keep swiveling - 45deg. 135deg, 180 deg. I find that the best is right between 90 degrees and 180 degrees - 145deg. I see no reason to push up to full 180 degrees, as it seems to stress the joint anyway.

Does this make sense, and is it how others are using it?

BTW, mine does not rub against my Executive case at all when swiveling.
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:38:34 pm by skanter »

Offline skanter

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »
    I find I can use the light without swiveling it at all, I did not like the pivot point either and the way it rubbed on the cover, I wish the had that point higher, but I have found that I can angle the light just fine without pivoting it at all, which is easier anyway.

Rachel

Do you mean you keep it in the storage position with no swiveling up? Doesn't seem possible, as neck is not long enough to position for reading without swiveling.

Offline Athenagwis

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »
    Do you mean you keep it in the storage position with no swiveling up? Doesn't seem possible, as neck is not long enough to position for reading without swiveling.

I keep it in the storage position and just position the light kind of out to the side instead of the top, works fine for me and no glare.

Rachel

Offline skanter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:01:26 pm »
    I keep it in the storage position and just position the light kind of out to the side instead of the top, works fine for me and no glare.

Rachel

That wouldn't work for me, as I couldn't get the light into optimum position. Mine tilts up 145 degrees, its then perfect.

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:07 am »
    Just got one today and love it, love the flexibility
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

KBoards.com

• Advertisement