Author Topic: Deleting??  (Read 3057 times)  

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
    • View Profile
Deleting??
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:43:47 am »
Okay - I know this is a dumb question so please don't yell at me!!!  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to delete a sample that I decided I don't want.  I won't pretend I do much other than actually read on the kindle, I haven't done much with the other options.  Can someone please tell me how to do that?  Thank you in advance, sorry for the dumb question!
A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Re: Deleting??
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:48:11 am »
    It's not dumb and I'm glad you asked.

On your Kindle, open the content manager. Tick the titles of the samples you want to delete, then use the scroll bar to bring up the menu and choose the option to remove from the Kindle. That's it, easy as pie!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:21 am »
    Duh, thanks Leslie!  I hadn't tried to delete anything yet and was trying to do it right from the sample.  Thanks for your help!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Offline Khabita

• Roswell GA
    • I am the Wombat! Koo-koo-ka-choo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:26 am »
    Definitely NOT stupid, or I am as stupid as you are!  :D

I did the same thing when I first got my Kindle, before I read about how to use the Content Manager. I selected the sample on the Home page, and looked for some sort of "Delete" option.

Then I smartened up and read the User Guide, plus purchased Leslie's wonderful Kindle FAQ. And now I'm practically a genius! (I swear, Leslie's FAQ alone upped my IQ by at least 20 points)
    Last Kindle Book read: The Iliad (Homer)
    Reading Now: The Brain That Changes Itself (Norman Doige)

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:17:12 am »

Then I smartened up and read the User Guide, plus purchased Leslie's wonderful Kindle FAQ. And now I'm practically a genius! (I swear, Leslie's FAQ alone upped my IQ by at least 20 points)

Oh my cheeks are red! Thank you!

You can also delete samples (or any content) using the USB cable. I know there are lots of owners that have never even taken the cable out of the box, and that's fine. But last month when I was in Switzerland, I used it alot (no Whispernet) and sort of got into the habit. If I want to do a mass deletion...say, delete all my copies of the New York Times for a whole month...I find that the cable is a little faster and easier. But it's a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other type situation and whatever is comfortable and easiest for you is probably best.

L

Leslie Nicoll

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:59:43 pm »
    Glad to know that I am not the only one. I ran through most of the functions a couple of days ago when I first got my lovely. Today, I went to get rid of some stuff and found myself saying "Now how do I do this?"

Ethan

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 04:27:02 am »
    Can you delete in Switzerland?

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 04:50:19 am »
    Can you delete in Switzerland?

Yes. And you can read in Switzerland too but there is no Whispernet!! None, zero, nada!  ;D

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 06:59:55 am »
    Leslie, you had me scared as I was reading your FAQ book.  To delete I have to connect to my computer via USB cable.  Please, no.  I finished your FAQ book and started reading the User's Guide again.  Aaaaaah.  I can delete without connecting to "la machine" ('puter").  I was happy about that.  I am a K.I.S.S. girl.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 07:08:54 am »
    Leslie, you had me scared as I was reading your FAQ book.  To delete I have to connect to my computer via USB cable.  Please, no.  I finished your FAQ book and started reading the User's Guide again.  Aaaaaah.  I can delete without connecting to "la machine" ('puter").  I was happy about that.  I am a K.I.S.S. girl.

As I said over on the FAQ thread (Amazon) just yesterday...if you live in an area with Whispernet, you never need to even take the USB cable out of the box!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 05:02:34 pm »
    If I want to do a mass deletion...say, delete all my copies of the New York Times for a whole month...I find that the cable is a little faster and easier. But it's a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other type situation and whatever is comfortable and easiest for you is probably best.

L

I don't know about deleting files on a Windows box, but on a Mac, you need also to empty the trash to actually get rid of the files to recover the space. I have an XP computer, but I always use the Mac to hook the Kindle up to (since it's right by my easy chair).

I wondered why I was using up main memory space so quickly on the Kindle, then emptied the Trash and got back 100 megabytes, heh. If you use the Content Manager, you don't have this problem, of course.

Mike

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 05:21:17 pm »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement