Author Topic: Distant Cousin: Reincarnation, The Epilogue (the last chapter)  (Read 6003 times)  

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
    • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
Epilogue, location 7585

I felt I was taking a risk with the addition of the epilogue, a 28 page (in the printed edition) wrapup after the main action of the story concluded. It just felt right to me. A literary agent or a publisher might not agree. They might well think that a story that ends with a big bang sells better. What did you all think, in general? Unnecessary? Too long? Too short? Any opinion?

The epilogue contains a number of set scenes which more or less come together in the last several. First, we have the Mendez family en route, where we learn what's ahead.

Then we have the two lawyers, Benning and Braithwaite (pronounced "braffit") getting snockered at the hunting camp up in the mountains. Rob Coombs joins them and we see their interaction and learn a few more details.

Third, Michelle Stratemeyer and the older women socialize. Michelle is a less-than-perfect fit in their group. She shocks her mother, for one thing, and seems to mean to do so.

By the way, West Texans do say "all" for "oil," and hunting camps do indeed provide West Texas wives with some quality time. I can also tell you that West Texan males cuss up a storm in their hunting camps, EXCEPT, if they are hunting deer, they never, but never, mention the word "deer." Did you know that? Did you know that when a young boy kills his first deer, his father will often mark his face with the deer's blood? How old, and how superstitious, do you reckon those customs are, anyway?

Next, Michelle and Rob are out front awaiting Darcy's arrival. You can tell they're getting interested in each other (can't you?). Coombs is astonished when he sees Darcy. Why?

Once the Mendez family arrives, the social scene gets hectic. I could have drawn this out, but instead I cut to the day afterward, with Michelle and Rob playing around up at the hunting camp, and being interrupted by the Mendez family.

The Mendez family had to head back to the ranch house when they saw the rest of the guests arrive. Everyone mixed for a time and then they had their main banquet, with the presentations and ceremonies afterward. Did you enjoy those?

Finally, all but Dr. Sledd, who tired early and went home to bed, went to the McDonald Observatory to take a peek through the telescope at Thomo.

The final scene has Darcy and Matt getting ready for bed in the Williams' #1 guest suite. Up to that point you might have thought the title of the book came from Darcy's adventures among the Sedlaks, but something in this scene might have caused you to think again. Did it?

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    Re: Distant Cousin: Reincarnation, The Epilogue (the last chapter)
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:03 pm »
    Liked it, but it did seem kind of long for an epilogue.  I might have just made this the last chapter of the book, although it was a change of pace and it did wrap up the various threads nicely, so it does fit the definition.  Just curious, when you finished this book, were you planning on writing another?
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline jpmorgan49

• Joliet, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:54:53 am »
    I enjoyed the epilogue also.  I get very wrapped up in a book and I like to find out what's happening to the characters.  There was a lot of controversy over the epilogue in book 7 of the Harry Potter series.  I was one that really enjoyed the epilogue, I think it wrapped up the series, and it made me "feel good"
    jp

Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/jpmorgan49/
    Kindle Touch July 2012
    I'm really one of a Kind...le!

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »
    I enjoyed the epilogue also.  I get very wrapped up in a book and I like to find out what's happening to the characters.  There was a lot of controversy over the epilogue in book 7 of the Harry Potter series.  I was one that really enjoyed the epilogue, I think it wrapped up the series, and it made me "feel good"
    jp

I read the first Harry Potter book to see what all the fuss was about, but I left the others to my wife. Thus I can't say anything about the epilogue at the end of book 7, JP. I'll take your word for it, of course.

Frankly I like the epilogue at the end of Reincarnation, even though I had reservations about it at first. Now, I wouldn't change it if I had it to do over again. For one thing, it was the nature of Ana Darcy Mendez's life to stay out of the public eye and avoid crowds whenever possible. She had a number of friends and acquaintances, but most of them were on a one to one basis with her. Few knew any of the others. I wanted to let them come together and see what happened.

For another thing, while there's plenty action in Reincarnation, I see the story as being fundamentally about the characters, and I like most of the characters. That is, the point isn't merely to race them through the story and then, as soon as that's over, type "The End." I like to round things off gracefully and satisfyingly, if I can. That's not the normal formula, I know. I just finished Michael Connoly's The Lincoln Lawyer, a legal thriller, and it screeched to a halt in only a couple pages. It wasn't bad, but then I wasn't so involved with the characters, either. If I had been, I'd have savored a little more windup.

The next Distant Cousin volume should be out soon, and once again I tried something a bit different at the end. It's all because of the head of the English Department I worked under for many years. When I handed her a copy of Distant Cousin, volume 1, the first thing she did was turn to the back pages and read them. I was in a group of friends at the time, and several called her on it, saying she was cheating, it wasn't fair, and so on. She claimed she couldn't read a story without knowing how it was going to turn out. So in volume 4, I laid a trap for her. That's all I'll say about that for now!

Offline Monica of NY

• Upstate NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:39:33 am »
    I very much enjoyed the epilogue.  Actually, I add my own imagined epilogue to any story, book or movie, that I feel needs it.  In Reincarnation, the story's loose ends were very nicely tied up.  I had hopes for Scott and Ianthe and there it was!  I'm not sure if I have ever read a good book that was too long.  The length of the epilogue seemed just right.

The final scene has Darcy and Matt getting ready for bed in the Williams' #1 guest suite. Up to that point you might have thought the title of the book came from Darcy's adventures among the Sedlaks, but something in this scene might have caused you to think again. Did it?

I have to admit that I did not at first relate the title of the book to anything other than the Sedlak connection, however, on re-reading the last scene, Matt clearly puts the concept out there when he says to Ana that they have created each other again and she agrees -"Two brand new people.".

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:55:14 am »

I have to admit that I did not at first relate the title of the book to anything other than the Sedlak connection, however, on re-reading the last scene, Matt clearly puts the concept out there when he says to Ana that they have created each other again and she agrees -"Two brand new people.".

Aha! I'm glad I asked the question, then! I was afraid the nod to the title might have been too subtle, but it would have been too obvious to have Matt or Ana use the word "reincarnation." I'd rather be too subtle than too tedious.

Thanks, Monica!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:58:02 pm »
    I ALWAYS read the end of the book after I get into the first part of the book.  I love to see how the story evolves.  I have been called down many times by "elite" readers for doing this.  It does not ruin the fun of reading the story either.  So I'll be prepared for your trap!  >:(
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
    OK, Dona, we'll grant you that much slack.

I mean, think about it, people: any book you like enough to read a second time? You've already read the end. Right? But you enjoy the trip anyway....

Not sure how many might read mine twice, though....

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
    HRUMPH I have read yours twice already and am sure I will read them all again.  They are nice and soft and don't give me nightmares and leave me with a fuzzy feeling.  So there !  :P

;)
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Monica of NY

• Upstate NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:53:12 am »
    Loved these stories.  I certainly intend to reread the three books that I have!

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 06:58:31 am »
    HRUMPH I have read yours twice already and am sure I will read them all again.  They are nice and soft and don't give me nightmares and leave me with a fuzzy feeling.  So there !  :P

;)

Loved these stories.  I certainly intend to reread the three books that I have!

Well, how sweet! So I'll tell you why I've been so quiet lately. I've been getting DC4 headed into publication, so you won't have to reread the same three books all the time.

(I tell you, it's terribly unfair how long it takes me to write one, and then how little time it takes you to read one. That just ain't right.)

I hope you'll like it. It's going to be a bit different (again)....

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »
    Well, how sweet! So I'll tell you why I've been so quiet lately. I've been getting DC4 headed into publication, so you won't have to reread the same three books all the time.

Cool ;D  Any hints what this one's going to be about?
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline jpmorgan49

• Joliet, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
    Can't wait for #4 Al!!!!!!

Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/jpmorgan49/
    Kindle Touch July 2012
    I'm really one of a Kind...le!

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
    • Rubber Room #960
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »
    Cool ;D  Any hints what this one's going to be about?

Something old, something new....

The twins are 12, and starting to bump into the teen issue thing....

The big problem is a kind that is totally new to the series, though not to fiction in general, of course....

OK. I'll stop now.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement