Author Topic: trendy digital sleeve,,not that nice  (Read 2846 times)  

Offline brenjmull

• View Profile
trendy digital sleeve,,not that nice
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:58 am »
I just recieved this yesterday,, it arrived super quick, but the seams are peeling up. I am so mad. I love the way it looks. my kindle goes in VERY tightly though and I have trouble getting it out,, which has me worried as I have a skin coming and with the skin on I may never get it out...I dont know if I should just return it for something else or try another one. Someone posted about another sleeve here that works well with a skin on but I cant remember which sleeve it was. I got the red one,, I am also worried that the screen would not be real protected if something were to fall on the case as it is not real thick,, all in all it looks nice but the quality is not the best.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    Re: trendy digital sleeve,,not that nice
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:25:43 pm »
    Sorry to hear this is not working out too great.  Hope you find a case that works for you.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »
    Definitely contact them about a return immediately.  I've had mine for months and there's not a spot of damage on it, even on the seams.  Yours absolutely shouldn't be falling apart so quickly! 

In regular use, this sleeve loosens up within a week and a fully skinned Kindle will slide into or out of it with less effort.  It will never be "loose", otherwise it would worthless as protection since the Kindle would fall out too easily.  The same goes for most sleeves--a snug fit is a necessity.  As an FYI, it's easiest to remove a Kindle from a semi-rigid sleeve by compressing the edges of the sleeve towards the middle, most people quickly learn how to do this with one hand, using the other to pull the Kindle free.  Unlike my husband, who tried removing my Kindle a number of ways, all guaranteed to break the damn thing, before I yanked it away from him.  LOL

Regarding protection--very few of the covers, and virtually NONE of the sleeves I've seen will handle the direct impact of something falling onto the Kindle screen.  Most seem designed at best to deal with actual Kindle drops rather than things that impact the device.  I've managed to accidentally drop my Kindle in the TD sleeve, the Oberon cover, and the Mivizu Sleek minisuit cover with no damage to the Kindle.  Some drops were on edges or corners, a few times the Kindle has landed flat. 

But only a very thick, sturdy cover is at all likely to protect the screen against something landing on it or banging into it.  The Oberon/K2 combo survived a direct headbutt from a 50 lb. standard schnauzer in full flight one night.  Frankly, only that or the Noreve I also own are likely to minimize the potential damage from that kind of impact!  The Amazon cover is fairly flimsy (I've pulled one apart & there isn't much there), the Mivizu is basically the absolute thinnest leather over cardboard, the Borsa Bella sleeve is all fleecy padding with no rigidity to spread the impact, and the TD sleeve as you said is thin & a little flexible.  I also tried the Octo sleeve; hated both the quality and the performance on that one.

Unfortunately, at this point you can have a lightweight cover/sleeve with less protection, or a heavy one that you're reasonably certain will prevent most damage.  Nothing on the market that I've found so far offers both.
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline brenjmull

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:17 am »
    I sent an email through amazon and got a reply from amazon that they forwarded it to trendy digital and I have not heard anything from them. I guess I will need to call. I got my skin from decalgirl and you are right, it is getting easier to get my kindle in and out of the sleeve. I really hope they will replace it as I like it alot. I keep pushing the seams back together and they hold for a day or two and split again.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:25:26 am »
    Trendy Digital is a sponsor here. . . I'd contact them directly even if you ordered via Amazon. . . .let them know you're a KB person. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:12:11 pm »
    Even though you bought through Amazon, I second Ann's comment.  Contact them directly.  Again, mine has no splitting whatsoever, and it's endured a lot more use than yours has in the scant few days you've had it.  What you're experiencing shouldn't be happening, and there's absolutely no reason you should have to use a defective product.  Give them the opportunity to handle the situation appropriately.

The customer service address they have listed for Amazon is [email protected]  Start there and don't wait!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline ElaineOK

• Oklahoma
      • View Profile
      • Dowling Law Offices
    « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:26 am »
    I bought a Trendy Digital sleeve in the faux leather reddish brown color.  The seams broke loose and started peeling up within a week or two.  Unfortunately, I did not keep pictures.  I contacted them by email.  They told me to return it, and they would replace it only charging me for return postage which they charged to the credit card I used to buy it in the first place.  So, I paid postage both ways.  I don't remember what I paid to ship it to them.  They charged me $6.25 for return postage.  The replacement has held together better than the original, but I have since gotten the JavoEdge pink croc leather sleeve for the same price I paid for the Trendy Digital.  (Ok, so I got a good sale code off this board that also waived shipping charges.)  There is no comparison between the two products.  The only drawback with the JavoEdge is you had better like pink.  It is thinner, feels better in the hand and to my eye much better made.  JavoEdge has my business.

Elaine
    Norman, Oklahoma
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:39:17 am by ElaineOK »

Offline angelad

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 03:49:53 pm »
    I bought a Trendy Digital sleeve in the faux leather reddish brown color.  The seams broke loose and started peeling up within a week or two.  Unfortunately, I did not keep pictures.  I contacted them by email.  They told me to return it, and they would replace it only charging me for return postage which they charged to the credit card I used to buy it in the first place.  So, I paid postage both ways.  I don't remember what I paid to ship it to them.  They charged me $6.25 for return postage.  The replacement has held together better than the original, but I have since gotten the JavoEdge pink croc leather sleeve for the same price I paid for the Trendy Digital.  (Ok, so I got a good sale code off this board that also waived shipping charges.)  There is no comparison between the two products.  The only drawback with the JavoEdge is you had better like pink.  It is thinner, feels better in the hand and to my eye much better made.  JavoEdge has my business.

Elaine
    Norman, Oklahoma

Excellent opinion here, definitely should be kept in mind.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement