Author Topic: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions  (Read 27227 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 02:51:06 pm »
Items are only removed from the Carousel until the next time they are used?  Or are you saying they are showing up even thou you haven't used or opened the item?

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline etnad

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »
    It is books form the cloud,deleted them 3 or 4 times since last night,  did not read or open them.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:56 pm »
    Hmmmmmm....  Anyone with a Fire HD having this happen?

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »
    My carousel is behaving as expected. . . .items show up if you open them.  You can remove from carousel and they go away until the next time you open them.

I have noticed that I've accidentally opened some apps I didn't mean to so of course they showed up on the carousel.

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »
    I hadn't exactly planned on getting the new Fire HD 7 but I did.  :)  Overall different feel from the old version.  The screen seems to be more responsive than previously, in some respects and a bit sluggish in others.  Need to make notes if I'm going to post on here.  I wanted it mainly for games and found that a lot of the games aren't available for the HD version.  As others have said, I'm sure the app developers are working overtime to roll out the new versions.  I LOVE to play Pogo games while sitting on the couch and the iPad just gets too danged heavy after a while. 

Question...  have you noticed the back getting hot... warm... whatever?  It seems to be near the strip on the back.. whatever that is or is for. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  About the bad*ss Battery Monitor.  I found the monitor works but it isn't the advanced version as I previously had AND the Icon app doesn't work at all.  Bummer!!  Hopefully that update will be done soon. 

I love this but on the other hand, I'm feeling a bit dumb. 

Oh, another question.  Have you found that the 5 minute Screen Timeout doesn't work?  I don't think it worked on my old Fire either.  The magnet in the case works great!!  So perhaps I should put it back to 5 minutes and turn it off by closing the cover.

Sorry for the rambling... just putting down random thoughts.  I bought the new Fire because my old one was really messing up... battery issues.. and was prepared to take this one as I found it.  So far, I'm finding it very good indeed.   ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 04:11:35 pm »
    I hadn't exactly planned on getting the new Fire HD 7 but I did.  :)  Overall different feel from the old version.  The screen seems to be more responsive than previously, in some respects and a bit sluggish in others.  Need to make notes if I'm going to post on here.  I wanted it mainly for games and found that a lot of the games aren't available for the HD version.  As others have said, I'm sure the app developers are working overtime to roll out the new versions.  I LOVE to play Pogo games while sitting on the couch and the iPad just gets too danged heavy after a while. 

Question...  have you noticed the back getting hot... warm... whatever?  It seems to be near the strip on the back.. whatever that is or is for. 

I haven't noticed it being any warmer than any of my other android devices when being used.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  About the bad*ss Battery Monitor.  I found the monitor works but it isn't the advanced version as I previously had AND the Icon app doesn't work at all.  Bummer!!  Hopefully that update will be done soon. 

This one works on the HD7: If you also have the one that used to be listed as for the Fire, I'm guessing that it will be updated soon, or at least when the 8.9's come out

I love this but on the other hand, I'm feeling a bit dumb. 

Oh, another question.  Have you found that the 5 minute Screen Timeout doesn't work?  I don't think it worked on my old Fire either.  The magnet in the case works great!!  So perhaps I should put it back to 5 minutes and turn it off by closing the cover.

I set my time out to 15 minutes and it does work.  Though I usually do end up sleeping it manually anyway.  Note that if you have a bluetooth device connected it won't sleep properly as it keeps wanting to talk to the bluetooth thing.

Sorry for the rambling... just putting down random thoughts.  I bought the new Fire because my old one was really messing up... battery issues.. and was prepared to take this one as I found it.  So far, I'm finding it very good indeed.   ;D

The original Fire isn't a year old yet. . .and has a 1 year warranty. . . you might want to contact Kindle CS and see what they'll do for you.  Probably replace it.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
    « Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
    Thanks Ann.  The Fire is the only android device I have so nothing to compare to.  I bought the old Fire from Best Buy so not sure what Amazon would do about it.  And the problems seem to be intermittent.  I will probably do the Amazon Trade-In program with the old one and go with the HD.  I really like this new one, don't you?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:02 pm »
    Zinio appears to be a bit buggy, it keeps closing itself. :/ Hopefully, they will update soon as well.  I have several magazine subscriptions there that I like to read on the Fire.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »
    Thanks Ann.  The Fire is the only android device I have so nothing to compare to.  I bought the old Fire from Best Buy so not sure what Amazon would do about it.  And the problems seem to be intermittent.  I will probably do the Amazon Trade-In program with the old one and go with the HD.  I really like this new one, don't you?

Amazon will still provide warranty support, no matter where you bought it. 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline crca56

• Forney, TEXAS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:18 pm »
    my carousel is repopulating too...hopefully someone can figure out how to fix that and my library is slower to load than my old fire, but i didn't have all 3700 books on the old one. i'm sure that makes a difference. those are the only complaints i have so far and they are minor compared to the improvements. i love the sound and the hd, so far i haven't played with the bluetooth, or many of my other apps but it's been fun.
    carolyn

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 12:05:14 am »
    Nobody's mentioned the promised external volume controls.  Do they really exist?

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 01:32:14 am »
    Yes, there is an external volume control.  :)

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 01:46:17 am »
    I heard a rumor there is a Kindleboards Volume Control on the new Fire HD.

I don't believe it, though.
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:37 am »

And on the home page there's only two lines of text that says

Read Harry Potter for free
    with Amazon Prime

I'm not even seeing that.  All I see, right now, that is... is Customers Also Bought.

The dumb question of the day - What do the screensavers look like in w/o SO?  I'm not finding them objectionable either... yet! :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 09:09:59 am »
    The 'print ad' on the home screen is now

The West Wing--available now
    to Prime members at no additional cost.

At's at the bottom left of the screen. . .to the right is the favorites star.

The one or two sleep images I saw before offers downloaded were very similar to those on the original Fire.  Sort of artistic graphic images of arty/writing/bookish things -- pencils, typewriter keys, old cassette tapes, etc. . . . .in color.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline kindlegrl81

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:35 am »
    Zinio appears to be a bit buggy, it keeps closing itself. :/ Hopefully, they will update soon as well.  I have several magazine subscriptions there that I like to read on the Fire.

How did you get Zinio to load on it?  I downloaded the app like I did with my last Fire and when I click on it to open the download all it does is show me a bunch of file folders, it doesn't load anything.

Offline James Lauren

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Inane Ramblings of a Discordant Mind
    « Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 10:02:12 am »
     >:(

Damn this thread, the Fire HD isn't out in the UK until 25th October and I'd finally convinced myself I did not want it, then I come across this thread...

I really gotta get me one of these babies!!  ;D

One question for all you lucky HD owners - does this display your library as a bookshelf with cover images? I don't mean the carousel, I mean if actually browsing your library of books.

Also, I presume you can sideload books like on the Kindle WiFi?

See my author pages at Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk & Smashwords

Offline crca56

• Forney, TEXAS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 10:14:12 am »
    yes, the covers display in your library....beautifullly
    carolyn

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:42 am »
    How did you get Zinio to load on it?  I downloaded the app like I did with my last Fire and when I click on it to open the download all it does is show me a bunch of file folders, it doesn't load anything.

I assume this means we can still download "outside" apps on the HD (since Amazon's Zinio for Android still doesn't show as being compatible with the Fire)?   I've pre-ordered the 32GB and that was one of the things I had a little concern about - although it's also something that would be hard to walk back from now that they've established the precedent. 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:13 am »
    On the HD7 there is still the option to allow apps from 'unknown' sources.

I expect most apps that aren't already compatible with the HD will soon be updated to work. . . . .
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 11:51:20 am »
    Thanks Ann - I really thought I'd probably cancel my pre-order (I've been happy with my Fire) but the extra memory, along with the other new features, really has me wanting it now! 
    em

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
    I hear ya! 

I only ordered the HD7 because I didn't want to wait for the 8.9.  I figured I could play with it a while and then give it to the Boy. . . . . But I am REALLY liking it. . . . . .and I'm not entirely sure I'll like the larger form factor as well!  Ah well. . .the Boy will get something, no doubt. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »
    OK, the 7" HD has twice the memory 8GB vs 16GB but are the HD apps twice the size? smaller or larger?

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »
    The 'print ad' on the home screen is now

The West Wing--available now
    to Prime members at no additional cost.

At's at the bottom left of the screen. . .to the right is the favorites star.

The one or two sleep images I saw before offers downloaded were very similar to those on the original Fire.  Sort of artistic graphic images of arty/writing/bookish things -- pencils, typewriter keys, old cassette tapes, etc. . . . .in color.

I'm still not seeing this.  On the home screen, in portrait, I have the list of Shop, Games, Apps, etc. then under that the carousel and under that "Customers Also Bought" then under that is the Favorites Star but nothing on the left side.  That's strange because I think I remember seeing a very small text ad at some point.  Maybe before the Fire upgraded itself to the current version 7.1.5 .  In landscape mode, it's only the list, carousel and favorites star.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
    Re: Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
    « Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
    Has anyone tried installing go or another launcher?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

KBoards.com

• Advertisement