Author Topic: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions  (Read 26901 times)  

Offline wavesprite

• View Profile
Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »
Apparently, no, it won't take away the "also bought" row....

Betsy

Ugg, I find them so ANNOYING!  I'll get used to it I guess. Maybe I find them more annoying because most of them are things that I already have "bought"....so it's not "smart" enough to realize that I've already bought it?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #101 on: September 19, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
    Ugg, I find them so ANNOYING!  I'll get used to it I guess. Maybe I find them more annoying because most of them are things that I already have "bought"....so it's not "smart" enough to realize that I've already bought it?

As I said in the other place you posted this question, note that, though for some content, the "also bought" row shows "also boughts," for some apps, it shows options within that app.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:50 am »
    Ugg, I find them so ANNOYING!  I'll get used to it I guess. Maybe I find them more annoying because most of them are things that I already have "bought"....so it's not "smart" enough to realize that I've already bought it?

Well, everyone's mileage may vary, but speaking personally, I appreciate also-boughts.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I've OneClicked more books I've checked out based on also-boughts than I have based on Amazon reviews. By a wide margin.  ;D
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:40 am »
    Well, everyone's mileage may vary, but speaking personally, I appreciate also-boughts.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I've OneClicked more books I've checked out based on also-boughts than I have based on Amazon reviews. By a wide margin.  ;D

Yeah. . .they don't really bother me either. . . .it's like browsing a bookstore and seeing similar books in the same area of the shelves.  OR easily ignored if I so choose. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
    • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
      • View Profile
      • Amy Corwin, Author
    « Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:16 am »
    Yeah. . .they don't really bother me either. . . .it's like browsing a bookstore and seeing similar books in the same area of the shelves.  OR easily ignored if I so choose. :)

I love the also-boughts, as well. That's one of the most valuable things--it's helped me find alternatives and all kinds of books that I probably wouldn't have stumbled-upon in any other way. I LOVE the also-boughts.

Offline Bob327

• Frederick Maryland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:02 am »
    I purchase a new fD Fire for my wife as a gift and it arrived yesterday...Only messed with it for a few hours BUt I like it a heck of a lot more then my original FIRE..especially the SOUND..

So far I sure miss the little gear icon on top..and I have not yet figured out how to get out of some apps BUT that will be her problem....(lol) I also miss the GREEN charging light..ALLOT !

Anyway I put a battery App on it and while the App  does work..t starts up with a message  that I DO NOT OWN the APP... (?????)   has a box that says to see details press here..but that does nothing..

Anyway my initial reaction is that the HD is VERY MUCH a better device then my original.. I may be trading my original Fire in for a HD...

Bob G

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 06:37:38 am »

I don't mind the "Also Boughts" on Ann's device  :D.  As I pointed out, there's useful information about your apps in there as well as the actual "also boughts."  However, I do think there's a difference between seeing "also boughts" when you go to a storefront and having them on your personal device, and can see why it would bother some.  I think that's a personal choice and what's right for one person isn't right for another. 

I would encourage people to remember Amazon's 30 day return policy and see if you can live with the Also Boughts.  I didn't find them intrusive, and liked the "extras" for the focussed app, but that's me.

Betsy

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
    • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
      • View Profile
      • Amy Corwin, Author
    « Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:03 am »
    I purchase a new fD Fire for my wife as a gift and it arrived yesterday...Only messed with it for a few hours BUt I like it a heck of a lot more then my original FIRE..especially the SOUND..

So far I sure miss the little gear icon on top..and I have not yet figured out how to get out of some apps BUT that will be her problem....(lol) I also miss the GREEN charging light..ALLOT !

Anyway I put a battery App on it and while the App  does work..t starts up with a message  that I DO NOT OWN the APP... (?????)   has a box that says to see details press here..but that does nothing..

Anyway my initial reaction is that the HD is VERY MUCH a better device then my original.. I may be trading my original Fire in for a HD...

Bob G

Bob - that is a lot of very useful information and I'm so glad you included it. I hadn't thought about those things, but they do make a difference. I used to like the gear and green charging light too. :(

Offline wavesprite

• View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:12 am »
    I think I'm going to get used to them, I love the new Fire too much to give it back. There are so many other great features of it!!   Thanks for pointing out that they are not always ads and point towards things inside of the apps!!  That is going to be helpful!!

Offline khrunner

• Life is mostly attitude and timing
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 08:28:14 am »
    I'm one of the new Fire HD people who really doesn't like the Customers Also Bought piece on the home screen. I thought it should have gone away with the ads for the $15, and I wrote Amazon customer support about it. It's really the only thing I don't like about the new Fire.

This is part of the reply I received: Customer feedback like yours is important to us. We frequently receive requests for new features and I have forwarded your comments, expressing your desire to remove this feature on your kindle, to our Kindle development team, so that they can take notice of it, take them into consideration and most probably provide the option to remove this feature as an update in the near future.

So if you don't like the Customers Also Bought feature, you might want to let Amazon know. I'd like to see removing it as an option, since some folks like it and find it useful. I'd also like to see an option for keeping the favorites screen visible, but you can't have everything. :) I liked the way the carousel was set up on the original fire.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 08:38:14 am »
    Definitely contact Amazon using their feedback if there are things you dislike,or like.  Is the Feedback still there in the Settings (formerly the gear).

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 10:23:31 am »
    Definitely contact Amazon using their feedback if there are things you dislike,or like.  Is the Feedback still there in the Settings (formerly the gear).

Betsy

Yes. . .there's a pretty obvious Help and Feedback icon in Favorites and it's also available by dragging down from the top and taping 'more'.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »
    Thanks for letting me know about how to sync.  :D

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: September 24, 2012, 12:47:08 am »
    When the Fire HD was announced I wasn't sure I was going to get one, after having some issues with my 1st Gen Fire I decided to go for it. Amazon replaced my original Fire, then I sold it to a friend & got the Fire HD.

I love the Bluetooth & the 16gb (2 of the main reasons I upgraded) & the camera (altho I haven't tried it yet). Better battery & screen are great too.

Some of the changes I'm not fond of are the "Customers also bought" Bar, I miss the favorites being under the carousel instead of the new star popup window. I really miss the charging light on the power button, don't like having to wake the Fire up to see if its done charging.

Last I really wish they would have added carousel settings that would allow you to tell it what NOT to auto add to it (like they did with websites). I don't use my Fire to read books & I really don't like the fact that when you buy it book it auto sends the book to all Fire carousels listed in your account. My roommate & I share an Amazon account & both have a Fire, but I read many more books then she does. We even tried turning Parental controls on the 1st Gen Fire, it blocked the books page & required a password to actually download a book but the cover still auto appeared in Carousel on the Fire even if I bought the book from my Kindle Touch. I hope Amazon adds this feature in a future software update or even in the new parental controls that are coming soon (I sent them my feedback).

Now I just have to wait for the Kindle Paperwhite to get here.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #114 on: September 24, 2012, 05:02:18 am »
    Some of the changes I'm not fond of are the "Customers also bought" Bar, I miss the favorites being under the carousel instead of the new star popup window. I really miss the charging light on the power button, don't like having to wake the Fire up to see if its done charging.

Good feedback, Dawn!  Glad you're enjoying your new Fire...  I love reading these posts, I'm living vicariously until I get my Fire 4G.

The "Customers Also Bought" isn't entirely without merit--if you move the focus to one of your apps, it will have options pertinent to that app.  Or, for subscriptions, a link to back issues.  Hope this will make you be less "not fond."  ;) 

I agree that I'd like the charging light to still be there...surprised that its gone.  :-\ 

Betsy

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 04:13:17 pm »
    I'm not minding the "Customers also bought" too much, sometimes it is kind of interesting. I REALLY miss the charging light as well, though. 

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: September 24, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »
    When I hold my KFHD in landscape mode (which is most of the time, except when reading a book), I don't see the also boughts.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the book reading experience on the fire HD.  I expected it to hurt my eyes, but so far it's been good in sepia with brightness dimmed down.  Have to dim it a lot more when reading in a dark room.  I don't read books on my ipad2.  Tried it and never got very far with it.  (I still love reading on e-ink readers, of course.)
    New York, NY
    Flutist, Legal Services Professional
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:21 pm »
    I'm not minding the "Customers also bought" too much, sometimes it is kind of interesting. I REALLY miss the charging light as well, though. 
    The worst part is that the charging light is hardware and obviously can't be fixed by a software upgrade.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:57 am »
    Hmmm.  I noticed the light wasn't there.  But I guess it doesn't really bother me.  I usually put it on the charger overnight anyway.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline RoseOhio

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:05 am »
    I received my Fire HD last Thursday.  I love it!  I had the original, just sold it so I could order the new one.  I love everything about this new model.  A major improvement is the sound quality. Movies play so much better, no buffering.  I finally signed up for Prime, very excited about movies and free 2 Day shipping.  I am waiting for my case, ordered a cheapo from RooCase.  I have had 3 from them and really like them.  They are inexpensive yet very nice, great colors.  I ordered an apple green slim case.  All in all, I am very impressed with the new HD. :-*

Rose
    Ohio
    Rose

Offline mommacomet

• View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 03:33:30 am »
    I have the original Fire and I have the new Fire HD on order.  I am wondering if its worth it or not to "move up to new and improved".  I use the original for watching movies/tv (Netflix/Hulu), playing a few games, night reading, and a little bit of surfing the web.   

Those of you that had the original and moved up to the HD version is it worth it? 

Thanks

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: September 26, 2012, 05:33:22 am »
    If you use the original for movies and TV, I think you'll be even happier with the screen and sound quality on the new one. (That is, the HD model.)

And you can trade in the old one to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics-tradein&field-keywords=Kindle  You can get up to about $83 for it which goes a long way toward recouping the cost of a new one.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:10 am »
    just picked this up yesterday  (HD version) & am totally hooked great improvement on Fire1, wife gave me the OK as I have been in the dumps since a hospital stay the other week & continued issues with my health but this really brightened my day, I'm to get the PW but  and I'm a gadget guy and this is was a great surprise & was up with it late, great job amazon...movie I watched (prime member) with the HD was great sound was outstanding...
    Larry

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #123 on: September 28, 2012, 06:20:06 am »
    Sorry to hear about your health issues, Larry, hospital stays are no fun. Glad you can enjoy the Fire!  Can't wait to get mine...

Betsy

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: September 28, 2012, 07:57:44 am »
    One of my personal favorite features is the instant on, when you have the Amazon cover.
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

KBoards.com

• Advertisement