Kindle Forum banner

Shepherds a Sci-Fi thriller - romance

13K views 145 replies 3 participants last post by  jdrew 
#1 ·
Olga, a genetically engineered mermaid and her two shipmates live aboard the Factory raft, Homestead, where they herd domesticated tuna on the open ocean using trained dolphins instead of sheep dogs. Confronted finally with the chance to meet the mother who gave her up to an uncaring multinational conglomerate, she wrestles with a decision whether to go or not. Before she can decide, she finds that other shepherds are being killed, apparently without reason.
Meanwhile, Toivo Nurminen, an independent trawler captain, discovers the murdered crew of a shepherd's raft, and unwittingly puts himself and his crew directly in line to be murdered. Radioing in his findings seemed like the right thing to do, but his choice may cost them all their lives.
The ruthless pirates aren't far away, and soon Toivo must join forces with Olga and her shipmates and dolphins to fight against overwhelming odds as they are pursued by a relentless enemy whose obsession for money lets nothing stand in the way of their profits. Survivors and witnesses are loose ends that need to be taken care of permanently! But Toivo has a few surprises of his own that the cutthroats aren't prepared for.

See less See more
#2 ·
J. -------------------

Welcome to KindleBoards, and congratulations on the book! :)

This is just a friendly reminder that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

#6 ·
Shepherds has about a month left in the Lending Library for Amazon Prime members.  After that I will probably remove it.  I am planning to do something soon with promotional paperback copies I have.  Info on that will be at my website soon - maybe here too.  In the meantime, $2.99 remains the e-price at Amazon.

#7 ·
Well, time has run out and Shepherds is no longer free on the Lending Library.  The strange thing from my perspective is that more copies were sold than borrowed for free during that run.  I wish I knew what that indicates.  Oh well, at least it is still selling here and there.

#8 ·
Anyone interested in a promo hard copy (I only have a few) go to my website, jdrewbrumbaugh.com, click the contact the author button and e-mail me your name and address and I'll send you a copy - autographed if you want, no charge, until I run out of books.

#9 ·
I saw a documentary called "The Last Ocean" at the Cleveland International Film Festival last weekend and it reminded me how I got started writing Shepherds.  As wild fish stocks disappear, something will have to be done, something different than any of the current solutions.  Shepherds looks at one possibility and uses that as the setting for a tale of murder and suspense.

#10 ·
A few good reviews.  I still am willing to send the couple of remaining promotional hard copies I have to anyone who will e-mail me from my website, which is listed below.

#11 ·
Only a couple of promo print copies left.  Anyone who wants one, e-mail me through my website and I'll mail you one postage paid.  Of course, a review would be appreciated.

#12 ·
Don't know how I missed this. This looks like a in depth story that should catch my interest. Always had a thing for mermaids in some aspects. Have to keep an eye on this and download when I have the time.

Thanks for making this book, keep them coming.
Shane

#13 ·
Shane,
Glad you saw Shepherds this time.  Yes, mermaids sort of are a key part of the story.  They are the main reason this is a science fiction novel.  Let me know what you think when you've had time to read it.

#14 ·
The oceans are dying, over fished, poorly managed.  One possible improvement is to herd fish like cattle on the open range - er, ocean.  Changes this big always lead to their own problems. 

#17 ·
Shepherds is still my best seller.  It combines a bit of science fiction, an unlikely love story, and a tough group of well funded drug dealing pirates bent on killing those who get in their way.

#18 ·
Olga has been genetically engineered to live in the open ocean.  She has "herd" dolphins and shipmates to help manage the school of tuna that they are responsible for.  Her life isn't wonderful, but liveable, that is until someone starts killing shepherds.

#19 ·
For those who keep track of such things, Shepherds will soon have a new cover.  For a free downloadable sample visit www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.  The book covers below are links to Amazon where you can buy any of my books.

#20 ·
The new cover for Shepherds is still pending. For samples from Shepherds, excerpts from my other published works, info on future projects and my scheduled appearances, please visit my website at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.

#21 ·
Shepherds is sci-fi.  Olga is a shepherd, bio-engineered to live on the open ocean and control the herds of factory tuna with the help of herd dolphins.
It is fantasy.  Toivo, an independent commercial fisherman talks to his pair of dolphins and discusses everything from where the few remaining wild tuna are to the philosophy of life.
It is an action-suspense story.  A drug cartel is killing off shepherds and both Olga and Toivo will end up directly in their sights.
And Shepherds has a romantic element as Toivo, a Finnish bachelor, is forced to join with Olga to figure out how to stay alive.
So like many novels, it is hard to classify.
See more at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com or buy it today by clicking on the book cover link below.

#22 ·
Shepherds is my feature novel at the Virtual EBook Fair on Facebook going on all weekend at the URL listed here. Sample sections will be posted over the weekend. Drop by if you have time. And have a great weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/161621307364389/?hc_location=stream

The cover links below will take you to Amazon where you can purchase any of my title.

#23 ·
The new cover is here.  Same great story:

They should never have met. 
Olga is a shepherd born to live at sea herding factory tuna.  Her home is a submersible raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Toivo is an independent fisherman who depends on two industrious dolphins to help him make a living catching what few wild tuna are left.  But, someone is killing shepherds and fate pushes Olga and Toivo together forcing them to battle heavily armed drug smugglers bent on killing anyone who gets in their way.  This action-packed drama hurtles toward a startling conclusion that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

#24 ·
Shepherds has a new cover, which leaves me with a copy with the old cover. I'll send it free to anyone in the USA who visits my website and e-mails me with a name and address. My website is www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com. Click on the contact author link and let me know if you want it signed. Or if you want an e-book, the covers below are live links.
Have a good day.

#25 ·
New cover is out, so old cover copies will likely go as giveaways on Goodreads. Those of you on GR may sign up to win a printed copy once that begins. Or if an e-book is what you prefer, easy enough to buy a copy at links here.
For Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NGO2TO
For Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002NGO2TO
Also available at Apple and B&N - links at my website www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.

In any case enjoy the day and take time to read a good book.

#26 ·
The Goodreads giveaway has begun for copies with the old cover. You can sign on to Goodreads and look for the giveaway or visit my website where you'll find a link to the giveaway on the page for Shepherds. Below are links if you want to buy an e-copy.

For Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NGO2TO
For Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002NGO2TO

Also available at Apple and B&N - links at my website www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.

In any case enjoy the day and take time to read a good book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.