Author Topic: Has anyone's else's Amazon sales flatlined?  (Read 16846 times)  

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
Re: Has anyone's else's Amazon sales flatlined?
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »
Being #1 somewhere won't give him manners and won't make him human. Even if he would be the greatest, the best author in this so colorful world, he shouldn't ride a high horse and should keep his manners. And personally until he can't show the minimal signs of basic civilized manners in a simple conversation, but just mocking others, I won't give a d*mn about his bestselling rank. And his readers won't either. That's my point, Lisa.

Personal attack  ::)

His readers don't need to care about this rank, since they are too busy buying his books off Amazon.

Krista D. Ball

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline George Berger

• no longer welcome here
      • View Profile
    « Reply #201 on: October 21, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
    Sorry, but this is not about platforms. It's about a book sells or not. If a book sells on Amazon, it should have at least a minimal trace elsewhere. But yours have almost none. Smashwords, Sony, Kobo, B&N... heck, my most expensive book which sells the slowest has a better trace at these places than yours. And not because my book sells well. But because it doesn't have phantom sales and has readers, who read and review.

Your "most expensive book" has one questionable review on B&N, and no sales rank. Alondo's most expensive Nook title has 19 reviews at B&N and a sales rank of 96,408.

Want to try again?

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
      • The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction Books
    « Reply #202 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:04 pm »
    Sorry, but this is not about platforms. It's about a book sells or not. If a book sells on Amazon, it should have at least a minimal trace elsewhere. But yours have almost none. Smashwords, Sony, Kobo, B&N... heck, my most expensive book which sells the slowest has a better trace at these places than yours. And not because my book sells well. But because it doesn't have phantom sales and has readers, who read and review.

I'm sorry, it may be because I'm new at this, but I don't understand the word "trace" in the context you are using it. If you mean "presence", then i just checked Barnes & Noble for the first time in ages, and my first book has 23 reviews there and 30 reviews on Goodreads, so I can't make sense of what you're saying. Are you saying you have more reviews there than me? If so, then good for you. If not, then I really don't know what you're on about.  

I already explained that I'm not on kobo because I can't crack the technical thing. As far as the other platforms I haven't checked but then, so what?      
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:14:02 pm by Alondo »
    The Lodestone Series of Science Fiction

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #203 on: October 21, 2012, 01:56:27 pm »
    People haven't heard of me outside of the local con scene. Who cares? I sell well there. People haven't heard of me outside of a small group of writers. Who cares? They are excited about my new writer's guide.

As for free, Spirits Rising does not sell. At all. Select has not worked for me. I'm still in it (and will renew it) because I want the free days for when I have #2 out. It worked for me (in a tiny way).

And, let me tell you, me who hates free books, sold 5 copies at full price within 36 hours of my last free period ending (I only gave away 270 copies). The previous month? I sold 2 copies of that book.

Hey, an increase is an increase, right? 

Offline Guardian

• Somewhere between two realms
      • View Profile
      • Crystal Shade: Angeni - Official Homepage
    « Reply #204 on: October 21, 2012, 01:56:48 pm »
    Personal attack  ::)

No, it's not a personal attack. It's called as truth. People love to mix the two, but you would see if I would make personal attacks. It has a very different style. But until this time none of my responses had any true personal attacks, just solid and inconvenient truth what people doesn't love to hear as it hurts their flowery soul.

His readers don't need to care about this rank, since they are too busy buying his books off Amazon.

Naive dreams. He will play this only once at a wrong plce and he won't have readers anymore. I've seen many great and brilliant mind falling this way. Well, if he want to follow their example, it's his privilege. I warned him. My conscious is clear.
    "As above, so below. As within, so without."

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #205 on: October 21, 2012, 01:58:41 pm »
    Being #1 somewhere won't give him manners and won't make him human.

Oh shoot, good point. Is Brian human? I've just always assumed he was. But without verifiable DNA it is open for debate.

Angel books in movie development
    Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #206 on: October 21, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »
    You think, but I don't, especially as he forgot where his place is and started his mock crusade. I won't say sorry, because his parents forgot to teach him the basic manners.

Forgive me, but you're not doing yourself any favours with an attitude like that.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
    • Hybrid Level 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #207 on: October 21, 2012, 02:01:30 pm »
    Hey, an increase is an increase, right? 

And it helps bring in new readers to my work.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Vera Nazarian

• View Profile
    « Reply #208 on: October 21, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »
    Being #1 somewhere won't give him manners and won't make him human.

No, it does not, Guardian.

But, have you looked at yourself recently?

1) You enter this perfectly friendly and commiserating conversation and immediately address Krista with a condescending "my dear" -- that's the point at which many of us picked up the popcorn.

2) You immediately accuse Amazon and most everyone else here of lying.

3) You belabor your point despite factual details that other people present to counter your arguments.

4) You denigrate Brian and bring the notion of children (his or hypothetical child-rearing, it does not matter, you have no right to address another adult as a child simply for disagreeing with you) into the conversation.

5) You sputter and defend your position of dubious authority with vacant platitudes. Maybe you are Number One somewhere else, but it's certainly not here.

So now, my question is -- are *you* human?  Where are *your* manners?

Offline Guardian

• View Profile
    « Reply #209 on: October 21, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »
    Your "most expensive book" has one questionable review on B&N, and no sales rank. Alondo's most expensive Nook title has 19 reviews at B&N and a sales rank of 96,408.

Want to try again?

Oh, here comes Berger, my other favorite who hyped his book as a great bestseller, while only Kindleboards authors has ever reviewed it during the hype period. It was fun. As the announcer said in Starship Troopers; would you like to know more? Honestly in your place I would stay silent. But if you want to know the details regarding my B&N stuff; until June or July it was distributed via Lulu and now it is distributed via Smashwords. The primary sales was via Lulu, then as there was a glitch with the author credits, I needed to redistribute the book via Lulu (As I couldn't use the same ISBN for redistribution the B&N part was redistributed via SW.). However, now as I check since that time I had sale, one exactly, via SW/B&N as well, so I don't have a clue why it doesn't have sale rank at all. But honestly, I don't really care about it. But I can send you letters regarding this matter what I've exchanged with Lulu as their system screwed has my distribution a bit which leaded to this. And Berger, all my reviews are authentic and real. And I'm really proud of it. :)
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:20:24 pm by Guardian »

Offline Guardian

• View Profile
    « Reply #210 on: October 21, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »
    1) You enter this perfectly friendly and commiserating conversation and immediately address Krista with a condescending "my dear" -- that's the point at which many of us picked up the popcorn.

The "my dear" is a friendly title where I live. I don't have any problem with Krista, so I addressed her with it in the hope it that she will react friendly as well. But it seems the "my dear" is offensive at the other side of the ocean, so please accept my appology for this. I didn't know that.

2) You immediately accuse Amazon and most everyone else here of lying.

Actually, because #1, Amazon rarely tells the truth. #2, I have the very bad habit; I know when people lie.

3) You belabor your point despite factual details that other people present to counter your arguments.

When I have to, I tell them. No one asked for detals and I didn't want to go into it deeper as I have other things to do. I already spent more times here than what I originally planned.

4) You denigrate Brian and bring the notion of children (his or hypothetical child-rearing, it does not matter, you have no right to address another adult as a child simply for disagreeing with you) into the conversation.

I have every right to do that. Maybe this habit has extinct few thousand miles away, but here, if adults can't behave, you address them on the way that may help them to wake up.

5) You sputter and defend your position of dubious authority with vacant platitudes. Maybe you are Number One somewhere else, but it's certainly not here.

I'm not defending anything. I just state what I see or experienced.

So now, my question is -- are *you* human?  Where are *your* manners?

Yep, I'm a human and I have manners. But I won't use manners with a person who forget what manners is. Everyone gets what gives.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:18:21 pm by Guardian »

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #211 on: October 21, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »
    Alondo, just had to put aside my bowl of spectator popcorn and say, way to go! You *are* doing great and keep it up! I certainly believe you and see no reason not to.

I also see no reason to suddenly decide, after all these years of successfully dealing with Amazon and promptly getting paid, that it is some kind of lying monster that's holding back my $5 bucks. In fact, I am getting a serious ROFL out of that notion.

All was trying to do (many posts ago) was to make the point that indies can actually make a living doing what they love. It's hard work, and the "freebie" thing is just one tool that can be useful, but I and others are living proof that it can be done.

I agree that to conclude that Amazon is a liar and a cheat is pretty ludicrous. I do think they have technical glitches from time to time, but that's a horse of a different colour. In fact, since they are running a worldwide real-time sales update system, I would be astonished if it worked perfectly all the time!      

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
    • Hybrid Level 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #212 on: October 21, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »
    And Berger, all my reviews are authentic and real. And I'm really proud for it. :)

EXCUSE ME *I* am one of the people who reviewed his book BECAUSE I LIKED IT. If you notice my account, I don't review very many KBers. I took the time to review his because I wanted to.

As for his hype period, looks like the Goat is still an Amazon Single, making 70% per sale.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Guardian

• View Profile
    « Reply #213 on: October 21, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »
    EXCUSE ME *I* am one of the people who reviewed his book BECAUSE I LIKED IT. If you notice my account, I don't review very many KBers. I took the time to review his because I wanted to.

I know that Krista, but I'm speaking about something else. Berger presumably knows it. So in his place I would stay out of this conversation.

Offline dalya

• View Profile
    « Reply #214 on: October 21, 2012, 02:16:54 pm »
    When my sales are flatlining, I apply these to my career:

And when that doesn't work (and it doesn't), I argue with other writers on WC!! Because that is almost as useful!!!!

Offline BrianKittrell

• View Profile
      • Late Nite Books
    « Reply #215 on: October 21, 2012, 02:20:14 pm »
    Brian's place: Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #133 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
    #1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Lifestyle & Home > Puzzles & Games > Role Playing & Fantasy

His other paid place:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9,041 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
    #4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Lifestyle & Home > Puzzles & Games > Role Playing & Fantasy
    #6 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Gaming

There's another paid one in a decent spot, but it's been a slow month.

Brian. First, get down from the high horse or I will get you down from it by crushing the tiny crystal reality you live in.

Who's on the high horse, exactly? If you think you can say factually wrong things and no one is going to correct you, you've got another thing coming. This is the real world.

I'm not your pal that with you can speak as you want.

Forgive me. I wasn't aware that it was common courtesy to tell other people how to raise their children.

First, I usually know what about I'm talking and this is the reason few doesn't like what I say.

No, the reason people don't like what you say is because you don't know what you are talking about. You would have us believe:

- Amazon is racist.
    - Amazon hates international authors and sellers.
    - Amazon is actively trying to destroy your sales.

That's not just wrong. It's sickening.

That's not my problem.

When you offer an opposing viewpoint, it becomes your problem. You've inserted yourself and your viewpoint into a conversation, and you are expected to defend your points.

And do you know what is the best in the so called conspiracy theory and theorists? #1, Conspiracy theorists used to be called as conspiracy theorist because they tell the incovenient truth what some doesn't want to hear as truth is shadowing their illusive world they live in.

The inconvenient truth? What, that Amazon is actively trying to put you down? What purpose does that serve? Do you actually think Amazon is afraid of money in whatever form it comes?

#2, I never said it's a conspiracy theory, but you guys claim it continuously, when I say what you don't want to hear.

It's because it's all the same thing. You say that Amazon's racist. You say that they hate you because you have an ethnic-sounding name. It's simply unreasonable.

#3, I never lie because truth hurts much more in this forsaken century. It's the best weapon and I love to fight with the best weapon.

I think someone sold you the wrong weapon. You might want to get it checked out.

So I don't have any reason to lie.

Sure you do. Everyone lies at some point. If you say that you don't lie, I'd call you a liar.

And don't worry. I'm not intending to intimidate you.

Whew. Load off my chest.

I just want to present that your parents forgot to teach you the basic manners and it would be good if you would realize this, kiddo.

Condescension and agism. Let me let you in on a little secret: where I come from, respect is earned. If you want politeness and respect, you'd best show some. You don't gain either by making foolish statements the likes of which you've been saying. What exactly have you done that I should bow down and offer you politeness and respect other than insult me and speak your hate message? Sorry, not going to happen.

I'm patient, but others won't be.

Others are sensible people, too. Most people don't buy into the stuff you're shoveling.

And I'm not an internet though guy. I'm the very same IRL; honest.

You tell people they're bad parents to their face or make comments like this about their parents IRL? People in your country must be very forgiving indeed.
    - Brian Kittrell, Late Nite Books | Twitter | Facebook

Author pages: Amazon

Offline Librarian

• The Library
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #216 on: October 21, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »
    Hey, hey. Be polite or I'll have to call Betsy or Ann.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
    • Me
      • View Profile
      • Lisa Grace
    « Reply #217 on: October 21, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
    I'm happy for George's success with his Amazon single. I'm happy for all the authors here. (Whether they have verifiable human DNA or not.) It's hard to hit publish and wait on others' opinions on your work.

Sales are fickle and betting on which book will take off when, is like gambling.
    Instead of putting authors down, why not be happy for them?

I'm glad Alondo  and others share their success and I get really sick of those who like to insinuate people are lying.

What would be the point to lie?

Angel books in movie development
    Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Alondo

• England
      • View Profile
    « Reply #218 on: October 21, 2012, 02:25:06 pm »
    Oh, here comes Berger, my other favorite who hyped his book as a great bestseller, while only Kindleboards authors has ever reviewed it during the hype period. It was fun. As the announcer said in Starship Troopers; would you like to know more? Honestly in your place I would stay silent. But if you want to know the details regarding my B&N stuff, until June or July it was distributed via Lulu and now it is distributed via Smashwords. The primary sales was via Lulu, then as there was a glitch with the author credits, I needed to redistribute the book via Lulu (As I couldn't use the same ISBN for redistribution the B&N part was redistributed via SW.). However, now as I check since that time I had sales via SW/B&N as well, so I don't have a clue why it doesn't have sale rank at all. But honestly, I don't really care about it. But I can send you letters regarding this matter what I've exchanged with Lulu as their screwed has my distribution a bit. And Berger, all my reviews are authentic and real. And I'm really proud of it. :)

I hate to do this, but it seems to be the only way to counter your continual accusations that I am a liar and that my sales figures are hype. Here is one month's royalty report JUST on the US site alone. Read 'em and weep.  

ASIN   Transaction Type*   Units Sold   Units Refunded   Net Units Sold or Borrowed**   Percentage of Borrows***   Average List Price   Average Offer Price   Average File Size   Average Delivery Cost   Royalty
                       (USD)    (USD)    (MB)    (USD) (USD)

B005BSZEX4   35%   17   0   17   N/A   3.99   N/A   N/A   N/A   23.80
    B005BSZEX4   70%   142   2   140   N/A   3.99   3.99   0.73   0.11   380.80
    B005BU9KJ6   Free - Price Match   1963   1   1962   N/A   0.99   N/A   N/A   N/A   0.00
    B005GP8CAO   35%   18   0   18   N/A   3.99   N/A   N/A   N/A   25.20
    B005GP8CAO   70%   131   4   127   N/A   3.99   3.99   1.26   0.19   337.82
    B006OOC5MC   35%   837   7   830   N/A   6.99   N/A   N/A   N/A   2033.50
    B006OOC5MC   70%   3665   23   3642   N/A   6.98   6.98   2.33   0.35   16914.88
                                       Total    19716.00

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #219 on: October 21, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »
    Yeah, I know that Krista, but if you check, always the very same people claim it's working. Always the very-very-very same. However the problem is, no one ever heard about these people outside Amazon (And when I check even their Amazon reviews, about 80% of them are full of bogus 5 stars by the first glance.).

Guardian, then how about these people: Jennifer Blake and Christina Skye. Both are bestselling authors in the trad pub world.

Jennifer Blake has 80+ titles that have sold 20 million+ copies in print. Go ahead - check these authors out. I'll wait. Shouldn't take too long because they have been around a while and have won many, many industry awards. They have titles that have not only been national bestsellers in the US, but international bestsellers.

Do you know who just gave away 46,000 copies of her brand-new book over the last 5 days? Jennifer Blake. If you look quick, it's #1 in the Free store on .com right now. Now why would someone who still has books in print with traditional publishers (she released a trilogy through Mira - a division of Harlequin last year, and Sourcebook's Casablanca line routinely republishes her older titles) GIVE away copies if it didn't make sense to?

ETA: Oops, typo. That should be 30 million+ copies in print (which means "sold").
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:29:56 pm by Phoenix Sullivan »
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline Vera Nazarian

• View Profile
    « Reply #220 on: October 21, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »
    The "my dear" is a friendly title where I live. I don't have any problem with Krista, so I addressed her with it in the hope it that she will react friendly as well. But it seems the "my dear" is offensive at the other side of the ocean, so please accept my appology for this. I didn't know that.

Calling a perfect stranger "my dear" is always offensive on any side of the ocean, because it is condescending. It makes the speaker come across as either ignorant or tone-deaf. And yet you do this multiple times, even after Krista echoed you with a "my dear" to show her valid displeasure -- you persist. Apparently you are done-deaf.

Actually, because #1, Amazon rarely tells the truth. #2, I have the very bad habit; I know when people lie.

Your statement in regards to Amazon needs to be backed up by facts -- where, when, and under what circumstances has Amazon not told the truth or lied -- be specific, show your work. Otherwise you may be in for legal recourse from Amazon, for potential slander.

As for you knowing when people lie, you then are psychic. Wow, I am impressed.

When I have to, I tell them. No one asked for detals and I didn't want to go into it deeper as I have other things to do. I already spent more times here than what I originally planned.

Someone is asked for details usually when serious accusations are made.

I have every right to do that. Maybe this habit has extinct few thousand miles away, but here, if adults can't behave, you address them on the way that they may help them to wake up.

Who gave you this curious right?

I'm not defending anything. I just state what I see or experienced.

You make claims without proof of your substantiations, and then act belligerent when people question your claims.

Yep, I'm a human and I have manners. But I won't use manners with a person who forget what manners is. Everyone gets what gives.

Having manners means always using them under any circumstances and with anyone. Manners are not clothes to be put on or taken off at a whim.

You have no manners.

Offline dalya

• View Profile
    « Reply #221 on: October 21, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »
    I want this thread to be made into a movie.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #222 on: October 21, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »
    Folks, this thread has some interesting and thoughtful posts, but is rapidly deteriorating into personal attacks. Locking the thread while we discuss in the Admin board.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement