Author Topic: So you didn't like the Paperwhite/Voyage, now what? The solutions thread  (Read 75956 times)  

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
I thought it might be helpful to start a thread for those of us who are looking for an alternative after whatever disappointment they had with the Kindle Paperwhite. We already have a perfectly good thread for discussing the exchanges and display issues and whatnot (here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,128460.0.html), so this not about those, this is about the alternatives to looking for the perfect PW... Also, I know many people are perfectly happy with their Kindle Paperwhites, so this thread is not for them. Be happy and in peace. :)

I'm thinking here we could discuss the alternatives and solutions. For those of us who were disappointed by the Kindle PW and are returning it, or are not going to use it as their main Kindle, or want to mod it to be suitable, what are you going to do or read on instead? What is your solution? I know I certainly faced this question when I came to the conclusion I just don't want to read on the frontlit screen in the dark (my review: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129852.0.html) which is my main reading time (I may still use it in well lit situations, though, because it works well there for me)... What alternatives have you pondered and what did you decide?

To start off, I had three ideas I'm planning to explore or explored. First one I put into action today by ordering the new black baby Kindle. I'm hoping the new version is a slight upgrade from the baby Kindle 4, which I think might serve my needs well. I am adding to it a new case, since I was disappointed with the old Amazon lighted cover. I'm trying the TeckNet Kindle Lighted Leather Cover With Integrated Flexible Reading Light Book Style. I'm not perfectly satisfied with my old Kindle 4 setup to go back to it and my old Kindle 3 is in other use... and Kindle 2, while still perfect and adorable, is just feeling like it belongs to a museum.

I also had an alternative that I didn't do, but did ponder: modding my old Kindle 4 Amazon lighted leather case to fix the most glaring issue with it - the glare. It shines in my eyes when reading in the bed, so I looked for some purpose made shield to put on it (I didn't find any though) or wondered if I could minimize the glare with a piece of masking tape or something. This could have made my existing Kindle 4 more bearable in the now-necessary longer run... But in the end I chose the upgrade above. I'm hoping the new baby Kindle and a new, more suitable case will tide me over to whenever Amazon comes up with something new I just have to have again.

The other thing, funnily enough, I'm going to keep me eye on is the possibility of a lighted third-party case for the Kindle Paperwhite, because I'm not returning the PW for various reasons. I know this may sound a bit crazy, but turning the frontlight to minimum, in a lighted room does create a fairly nice result. If Amazon could allow turning the frontlight completely off, it would be even better. A lighted case for the Kindle PW might be the solution for me, because I don't like using a table lamp or the frontlight, but do like the PW best otherwise. Maybe even a small penlight or something might be suitable, I did use something similar with Kindle 2 way back when.

So, I'm also looking for a third-party lighted cover for the Paperwhite as well. If anyone has any suggestions on that, I'd be pleased to hear.

Not optimal, but this is my dual approach. What is yours?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    Re: So you didn't like the Paperwhite, now what? The solutions thread
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:36 am »
    I returned my PW.   I won't go into all the reasons here - except that I need/want page turn buttons.  So for now - I am happily engaged with my K3 right now.. reading under my lamp.  And I sent an email to Amazon requesting a PW with buttons or else a K3 with that screen.  Actually - I would really prefer the latter so I can reuse all my Oberon covers.    I think they will eventually do something for those of us that are not "touch" lovers for whatever reason.

Offline Me and My Kindle

• One of Amazon's best-selling Kindle bloggers
      • View Profile
      • Throw in the Vowel
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55:43 am »
    I like the Paperwhite.  My only real issue with the Paperwhite is that sometimes that light just doesn't feel natural.  At the end of the day, I shut down my computer, and I like to think that I've freed myself from all that technology and electronic gizmos.  So for now, I still find myself going back to the older Kindles sometimes - and the fact that they're not lighting up feels comforting and old-fashioned -- almost like it's a traditional Kindle.

So for that reason, I was going to suggest that people might want to try to find a Kindle DX if they don't like their Kindle Paperwhite.  Instead of a brighter screen, it gives you a larger screen.  So it's improving contrast the old-fashioned way. Also, besides the larger screen, I hear Amazon is discontinuing them -- they've stopped listing the Kindle DX at Amazon.  

So that makes it feel like a quaint collector's item! :D
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:41:31 pm by Me and My Kindle »

Co-author of the new game
                     "Throw in the Vowel"

One of Amazon's best-selling
              Kindle word games!

Now also available on Kindle PAPERWHITE!

Just released! Try it now!

A fun, challenging, and original new word game

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:02 am »
    you are going to have to trust me on this but try a regular 69 kindle has a very white screen & nice dark text... this reader should not be confused with last years, this years has a black bezel & newer screen, just a suggestion , I do want a PW but I want to see it fixed first...
    Larry

Offline parakeetgirl

• RI
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:39:31 am »
    you are going to have to trust me on this but try a regular 69 kindle has a very white screen & nice dark text... this reader should not be confused with last years, this years has a black bezel & newer screen, just a suggestion , I do want a PW but I want to see it fixed first...
    This is what I decided to go with after I canceled both PW orders. The new basic Kindle has a great screen. I have it in a lighted case that I got for $18 but I also use the KF HD for most of my in the dark reading.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »
    Thank you for the suggestions guys! I'm sure our ideas can be helpful to many. (And yes, I am now going to try the $69 Kindle next.)

The other thing, funnily enough, I'm going to keep me eye on is the possibility of a lighted third-party case for the Kindle Paperwhite, because I'm not returning the PW for various reasons. I know this may sound a bit crazy, but turning the frontlight to minimum, in a lighted room does create a fairly nice result. If Amazon could allow turning the frontlight completely off, it would be even better. A lighted case for the Kindle PW might be the solution for me, because I don't like using a table lamp or the frontlight, but do like the PW best otherwise. Maybe even a small penlight or something might be suitable, I did use something similar with Kindle 2 way back when.

I gave this idea of using the Kindle Paperwhite, frontlight to a minimum, a go with my existing Amazon lighted leather cover for Kindle 4. Of course the PW won't fit, and the unadjustable light on this cover is far from optimal anyway, but placing the PW on top gives some idea how its display would behave in such a case. I took the thus-modded PW with me into a dark room and the result looks good. The frontlight disappears completely and while the lighted cover doesn't generate an uniform light, instead it hotspots on the top as usual for these lights, but it also doesn't create any other distinct unevenness and most importantly for me it also lights up the bezels and surroundings a bit so it feels more like reading a book under a light than reading a screen... On the downside, compared to the Kindle 4, the fonts do seem less black on the PW than on the Kindle 4 even in this setup. And I think having the option to turn off the frontlight alltogether would be best. Perhaps Amazon could add that and tweak the PW fonts to become darker in a future update. The other downside to this, in my view, is that the PW couldn't power the light like the baby Kindle 4/5 can, so adding batteries would add bulk to any such case.

I think Kindle PW with a lighted cover could be a good solution for some. Use the frontlight in well-lit situations and the light on the cover when reading in complete darkness, especially if one could find a case with an adjustable light... Amazon, an option to turn off the frontlight and darker fonts, please.

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:05:32 pm »
    If you have the k4 non touch, you can always just use your lighted case on the new basic 69$ kindle. exact same specs and ppi. have gotten a few threads on how much better the new basic is in regard to font and contrast than the k4 nt which i have and think is great. I saw this tip on another thread but you can just flip the orientation for the screen and have the light come up rather than down which may be better for you. 69 dollars for the smallest/lightest amazon ereader on the market (and supposedly great screen) is a steal (seems completely negligible when viewing the specs but holding the PW in one hand and my k4 nt is very noticeable and i find myself saying "if only the PW was this small and light). 
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »
    I  don't dislike the PW and I'm keeping it. I had enough Amazon reward points that I paid less for it and the case than for a Baby Kindle. However, there are a couple of things that keep me from being truly happy with it - the Airplane feature is a PITA to get to and if I'd known you couldn't go forward or back a chapter easily I wouldn't have bought it. My guess is I'd be happier with a Baby Kindle except, and it's a big except, I live way out in the country, have no wifi unless I drive 15 miles, and need 3G. So I'm keeping the PW and using it in preference to the K3 right now because of size and the light for reading in bed.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »
    I bought the new $69 kindle yesterday and love it.  My K4 (silver) is still good, so I didn't have to buy the new one, but I love the darker black text and the black frame.  I use a clip-on light for most of my at-home reading, but I don't take out the clip-on light, because it turns itself on in my bag. 

A lot of people don't like the Mighty Bright Xtra Flex 2 (they say it's too heavy), but this is the only one that is bright enough for me.  I can position it perfectly for even light on the screen.  I appreciate this light all the more after seeing customer photos of the PW lighted screen.  I have had kandles that don't work at all now (bulbs burned out).  I also have the Verso-like Nook clip on light, but it's not bright enough for me and the short neck has limited range.

I also have the K4 Amazon lighted cover.  I find it OK but not as satisfactory as the MB XtraFlex2.  Light is a little uneven and shines in my eyes if the Kindle tilts forward a little.  I occasionally use it anyway, mostly for reading away from home (although most of that reading is on the subway, bus or office breaks where there is enough light not to use the cover's light).
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »
    Thank you for the great tips on lights, cases and experiences on the new small Kindle. I agree, it sounds promising and I look forward to sharing my experiences on that compared to the PW.

As for anyone wondering why I don't go back to an older Kindle instead of PW, I wasn't completely satisfied with the Kindle 4. The cover was the biggest culprit, but also the contrast and the looks good be better. I used it anyway, but it was a bit mixed bag. The last generation I was fully satisfied with was Kindle 3, which I have given away to family. But I do prefer now the smaller form factor of non-keyboard Kindles anyway, so it isn't as simple as trying to get that back or buying a new Kindle 3 Keyboard. I was really looking forward to the PW as something that would move me forwards from the lackluster Kindle 4 experience (granted, most of which was because of the poor Amazon lighted cover that generation), while keeping that small form-factor... Last year I kind of settled on the Kindle 4, but now I don't want to settle with the PW or with the 4, but finally find a solution I'm fully satisfied with. So, I will try to get it either with the $69 Kindle and/or with new cases and lights. Or maybe something else someone suggests here. :)

Oh the darn progress of technology, I was perfectly happy with my Kindle 3 back then...

Offline xtine911

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 01:03:54 am »
    Interesting thread :)

I've read of a lot of people with otherwise "defective" screens still enjoying using their PWs during the day. I wonder if by using an external booklight at night, but still turning up the built-in PW lights, a nice white screen could be achieved, sans the pink/green blobs?

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 01:45:31 am »
    Well that was quick, my black "$69" Kindle just walzed in. I'll start comparing it with the Kindle 4 and Kindle PW later today. It will take until next week before I'll get my new third-party case for it, though, but I at least I can report my experiences on the reader itself - which is probably most interesting for any readers here anyway. Externally the new "$69" baby Kindle is packaged just like Kindle Paperwhite, in that same kind of black Kindle box. The side simply reads Kindle instead of Kindle Paperwhite. It also shipped without any external packaging in Europe too, just that black box.

I've read of a lot of people with otherwise "defective" screens still enjoying using their PWs during the day. I wonder if by using an external booklight at night, but still turning up the built-in PW lights, a nice white screen could be achieved, sans the pink/green blobs?

I will try that later too. That's a good question.

Offline xtine911

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:52:41 am »
    I will try that later too. That's a good question.

I hope it works :) I'm in a similar boat as you, in that I have a PW coming to me overseas via a forwarder, so returning a "defective" Paperwhite would be a huge and expensive hassle. I'm thinking I may just live with whatever is sent to me, maybe using it with a book light as well, if the screen does turn out to have problems.

Offline JamescCamp

• Toronto
      • View Profile
      • My Amazon Author profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:43 am »
    This may be blasphemy on this forum, but ...

I like having a full tablet. That way I can use the Kindle app, but also other e-book apps to get a different selection of books, and I can read comics and magazines on it.

I was hoping Kindle was going to release a colour e-ink device this fall, but for some reason they still think the market 'isn't ready for it', and so I bought a Nexus 7 instead. I love it.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:00 am »

I like having a full tablet. That way I can use the Kindle app, but also other e-book apps to get a different selection of books, and I can read comics and magazines on it.

I was hoping Kindle was going to release a colour e-ink device this fall, but for some reason they still think the market 'isn't ready for it', and so I bought a Nexus 7 instead. I love it.

My understanding is that it's not so much that the market isn't ready, as the technology isn't.  People will expect certain things with color -- video, image manipulation, etc -- that isn't yet possible with color eInk. 
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:14:47 am »
    Since I don't often read in bed, I use my good ole KK for much of my reading. For those times when I just HAVE to read in bed I use my Fire HD. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but I've never had a problem reading on a back-lit screen, although I don't really enjoy reading on my computer monitor. So, as an alternative, might I suggest the Fire HD?
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline TraumaDoll

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 09:01:36 am »
    Having participated in a similar discussion elsewhere, some thoughts:

--If you like and can read books on tablet, possibly a Kindle Fire, or the iPad Mini should be announced officially on Oct 23 (probably worth waiting to buy until then, as they may be priced very competitively)

--Kobo Glo has decent reviews and should be available in US soon (fingers crossed). Yes, this would mean needing to 'free' your Amazon books and may not be worth the effort for some, but the lighting does seem better.

For those keeping older Kindles, I've seen the following lights recommended a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-TravelFlex-Light-Silver/dp/193500932X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350575848&sr=8-1&keywords=travelflex

http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-Eluminator-Booklight-Universal-un1-e3-abs-w/dp/B0080A56RE/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350575862&sr=1-3&keywords=m-edge+e-luminator+book+light

(I think you can get this one for free if you buy a case directly from M-Edge)

This one looks interesting if you want a light powered by your Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Grantwood-Technology-SimpleLight-Attaches-Keyboard/dp/B0057WTEWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350575941&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+keyboard+light

(Think Amazon lighted case but cheaper and no case.)

My personal solution for now has been to revert to using my Kindle Keyboard, snagged a new case and the TravelFlex light linked above. It's a little bulky but it was a cheap interim solution.

Offline teralpar

• Rosi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 09:33:26 am »

I feel the same way about reading on my Nexus 7. For me, it's much easier on my eyes than the original Kindle Fire. On the original KF, I could only read on the Kindle app using the Sepia background, the white background was hurting my eyes. On my N7, I can read fine on the white background, it almost reminds me of reading on the Paperwhite, except the light on the N7 is even. Of course, in a lit room or outside I still read on my beloved Kindle Touch. So buying a PW would be unneccessary for me at this point.
    ~Terri~
    Kindle owner since 1/7/2010

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 11:24:53 am »
    Well that was quick, my black "$69" Kindle just walzed in. I'll start comparing it with the Kindle 4 and Kindle PW later today. It will take until next week before I'll get my new third-party case for it, though, but I at least I can report my experiences on the reader itself - which is probably most interesting for any readers here anyway. Externally the new "$69" baby Kindle is packaged just like Kindle Paperwhite, in that same kind of black Kindle box. The side simply reads Kindle instead of Kindle Paperwhite. It also shipped without any external packaging in Europe too, just that black box.

I will have to leave comparisons of the new $69 Kindle, Kindle 4 and PW until later, but I did unwrap the new baby Kindle I got as a potential solution to my PW disappointment. First impressions: Packed like PW. It also is very nice black and, boy, after all the question marks about the screen on the PW... This one is just perfect. Not perfect in the sense that PW can be, you know with just slight issues, but perfect in the sense true e-ink experience is perfect. No questions asked perfect. Perfect.

We are off to a good start, the new baby Kindle and I. Will report back with details later on.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »
    I will have to leave comparisons of the new $69 Kindle, Kindle 4 and PW until later, but I did unwrap the new baby Kindle I got as a potential solution to my PW disappointment. First impressions: Packed like PW. It also is very nice black and, boy, after all the question marks about the screen on the PW... This one is just perfect. Not perfect in the sense that PW can be, you know with just slight issues, but perfect in the sense true e-ink experience is perfect. No questions asked perfect. Perfect.

We are off to a good start, the new baby Kindle and I. Will report back with details later on.

Wow your description of your new $69 Kindle reminded me of my old Sony PRS-505. I had to go find it again. ;)

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »
    I  don't dislike the PW and I'm keeping it. I had enough Amazon reward points that I paid less for it and the case than for a Baby Kindle. However, there are a couple of things that keep me from being truly happy with it - the Airplane feature is a PITA to get to and if I'd known you couldn't go forward or back a chapter easily I wouldn't have bought it. My guess is I'd be happier with a Baby Kindle except, and it's a big except, I live way out in the country, have no wifi unless I drive 15 miles, and need 3G. So I'm keeping the PW and using it in preference to the K3 right now because of size and the light for reading in bed.

I think it's been discussed before but isnt the chapter thing a software issue? If so, with enough complaints they could send out a fix for it. I would like that too.

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »
    I think it's been discussed before but isnt the chapter thing a software issue? If so, with enough complaints they could send out a fix for it. I would like that too.

Yeah, it's a software thing.  If they bring it back, hopefully its something you can toggle on and off.  I don't like swiping up/down to jump chapters as I rarely need to jump chapters and it's too easily to do accidentally.  And it's nice being able to swipe up/down to get a speck of dust of the screen without jumping chapters/pages too.

But some people do jump chapters a lot, so they should add an easier option for doing so for those who need it.

Offline berfles

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »
    I kind of want to get the $69 Kindle to "upgrade" from my K3 keyboard, but I think I'd miss the keyboard...  I do use it from time to time, and moving around with a directional pad seems like it would be a complete pain.

Are there any comparisons between the K3 keyboard and $69 Kindle screen?

Offline sparklemotion

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
    Are there any comparisons between the K3 keyboard and $69 Kindle screen?

The new $69 kindle has much better contrast.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:32 am »
    So, starting my experiences with the new $69 Kindle vs. Kindle PW and other models. For brevity, I will name the new black "$69" dollar non-touch Kindle as the "Kindle 5". I will refer to the previous generation, grey "$79" Kindle as the "Kindle 4".

The box:

As I said before, Kindle 5 comes in black, angled and rip-sealed a box very similar to Kindle PW - so it has the dark look, instead of the brown boxes of past generations. On the side reads Kindle on shiny black, instead of Kindle Paperwhite. Inside the USB cord (white) and a couple of pieces of paper, just like on the PW.

The looks:

At first glance the Kindle 5 is just like the Kindle 4, only black, with a white Kindle logo on top (where as Kindle 4 is two-tone grey with a grey logo). The buttons are the same: power on the bottom, two page change buttons on each side and four buttons + the five-way controller on top.

From the top Kindle 5 looks a little shinier, where as the Kindle 4 is bit more matte. Things are reversed on the back, which is more matte on the Kindle 5. The black back of Kindle 5 feels a little more rubbery than the grey-painted back of Kindle 4, there may be either a change of material or coloring process on the back.

Kindle 5 colors are pretty much like those on the Kindle Paperwhite, although PW has a rubbery edge, where as Kindle 5 edge is plastic. Of the three, the grey Kindle 4 seems least prone to fingerprints, Kindle PW most prone - and Kindle 5 in between. It is possible that the bezel on Kindle 5 is the same material as Kindle PW, but Kindle 5 did feel a little less prone to fingerprinting than PW.

Overall, the differences between Kindle 4, 5 and even PW are very subtle. PW is a little larger and certainly heavier, but overall all three devices look very similar next to each other. I do prefer the dark, singularly black look of the Kindle 5 and Kindle PW over the grey fourth generation, the two-tone grey is a little busy on the previous generation. The fifth generation black may look a little more plasticy than the fourth generation grey due to being a little shinier, but it also looks more durable and in the end, probably helps the screen pop out better too.

Amazon lighted leather cover:

Kindle 5 obviously fits the (disappointing) black Kindle 4 lighted leather case from Amazon. The holder part of the case is black or dark grey, much darker than the grey Kindle 4, but lighter than the Kindle 5. So the lighted leather case fits both Kindle 4 and Kindle 5 equally well or bad, however you want to look at it, neither blend in with the case colors. Not that it really would bother anyone. If you like the Amazon lighted cover for Kindle 4, it will work equally well with the Kindle 5 too. (I don't like the case on either one and am looking forward to receiving an alternative I have ordered. More on that when it gets here.)

Safe to say, the black Amazon leather case for Kindle PW is miles above and beyond the Kindle 4 leather case. The official PW case is very high quality and the magnetic closing mechanism (which turns Kindle PW on and off as needed) is obviously a great bonus over the Kindle 4/5 case, which has no such feature and is inferior in quality too. So, if you can live with the PW and without a case light, the Kindle PW leather cover from Amazon is certainly wondeful.

The software:

The new Kindle 5 runs software version 4.1.0, exactly the same as has been updated to my grey Kindle 4 - so functionally expect these devices to be identical. Of course this version is a far cry from the Kindle PW software, missing cover view, missing changeable fonts and missing X-Ray. It does have parental controls and panel view for comics, though, but it is a much simpler, more traditional Kindle experience. If you want the latest goodies, you better keep your eyes on the touch-enabled Kindles.

Kindle 4/5 does have some things Kindle PW doesn't, though, such as easy chapter skip, reading progress bar on the bottom and four-way screen rotation, since Amazon has decided to simplify certain software features in the PW.

The screen:

This was, of course, the (at least temporary) deal-breaker on the Kindle PW for me. I like the pure e-ink experience without integrated lights - and the screen-likeness - adding those introduced to e-ink. Obviously Kindle 5 is pure e-ink, no capacitive touch layer or frontlight light guide layer like on the Kindle PW. Just that magical e-ink right there, on top of the screen.

When the frontlight is set to minimum on the PW in a well-lit room, it doesn't really look all that different compared to the Kindle 4 and 5, so those additional layers on top aren't that much of distraction when the frontlight is not visible. The topmost layer on all three Kindles shines under a light in a very similar way, so in a lighted room without the Kindle PW frontlight glaring, they look quite the same.

Differences in the screens start to appear when looking closer. Compared to Kindle 4/5, the Kindle PW screen, even with the frontlight to minimum, looks more washed out. The fonts are not nearly as black on the PW. Although font-to-font differences are part of the reason, I doubt they are the whole reason. It seems that the higher resolution and those two additional layers on top of the PW screen are resulting in a lower contrast on the PW compared to the higher-contrast Kindle 4 and 5.

Comparing the new Kindle 5 to Kindle 4, I can confirm the differences many have reported here. While the technical specs are roughly the same, it is clear that there is more than just a bezel-color change going on. The black bezel on Kindle 5 does increase the contrast somewhat, but the text on Kindle 5 is definitely darker than on Kindle 4 and darkest of the bunch here. (My old Kindle 2 looks really washed out next to the Kindle 5.)

I don't know how much it is because of a new screen or font adjustments on the Kindle 5 - I'm guessing it is a new screen, because the software on my  Kindle 4 and 5 is the same.

The verdict:

I am yet to get a satisfactory reading lamp for either the Kindle 5 or Kindle PW (if I'm ever going to get such a thing), so comparisons in the dark will have to wait. I will also do comparisons with Kindle 3 Keyboard and more PW testing later on, as has been suggested above. But for now, in a lighted room, which one of these feels the best when reading?

Holding in front of me, without covers, all three: Kindle PW, Kindle 5 and Kindle 4... it is clear that two of these look better and one is the best. Unfortunately for the PW, the ones that look better are Kindle 4 and 5. Even though the PW can be made whiter by turning the light up, it still doesn't really feel white, as much as glowing - and the e-ink magic, to me, is lost. Kindle 4/5 may be "pocket book drab" in the color of their page, but the great contrast, black text, flawless screen (no light unevenness to think about, like on the PW) just put the baby Kindles miles above the PW. They are just that much better.

The PW does have an edge when displaying pictures due to the added resolution, but when displaying text it seems to loose that - the text on Kindle 4/5 looks sharper, crisper, where as the added resolution on the PW seems to just make the text feel more shallow somehow.

As for the best of the bunch, clearly Kindle 5 is superior to all of the three. The difference compared to Kindle 4 is distinct enough. Whether it is the bezel color or the screen or whatever, definitely the blackest text can be had on the new Kindle 5.

Wow. It's just wonderful. I better go read now! I'll look into lighted cases, PW under lighting, Kindle 3 Keyboard comparisons and so forth later, when I get the goods and the times.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement