Author Topic: So you didn't like the Paperwhite/Voyage, now what? The solutions thread  (Read 75982 times)  

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
Re: So you didn't like the Paperwhite, now what? The solutions thread
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:14 am »

- One is how easily Kindle PW gets fingerprints on the bezel. Out of my Kindle 2, 3, 4, 5 and PW, the PW is easily the most prone to this, while the matte Kindle 4 and older are the least prone to this problem. If this bothers you (it doesn't bother me), aside from a case that covers the bezel, many have used "skinning" as the solution. A black skin (or any skin of course) would also allow hiding the white Kindle logo, if that is distracting for you. DecalGirl is recommended by many: http://www.decalgirl.com/

I agree with this. I found the black was a fingerprint magnet, more than any other Kindles have been. I put a skin on it to solve that problem. I also realized I didn't like the black so much which is why I ordered the $69 in graphite.

- Second is the suggested books on the home screen that appear on Kindle PW even when it is not a special offers model. I haven't tried the trick myself, but using Parental Controls to hide the Kindle Store behind a password is said to hide those book suggestions. Also, you can use List View for the home screen to hide the suggestions, although that hides all book cover pictures as well.

Keep in mind that in cover view, the panel of four other books (today, "Popular Mysteries & Thrillers") only show on page 1 of the home screen. Once you swipe to the next page, you'll see six of your books, nothing else.

I find List View much more practical than cover view, IMHO.

L

Leslie Nicoll

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sunshine22

• San Diego
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:38 am »

I find List View much more practical than cover view, IMHO.

L

Agree, especially on the home page.  What would be perfect, IMO, would be if we could use list view for the home page and then cover view once we were in a collection, because I do like seeing the book covers.

And I also agree with the dislike for the black matte bezel, I much prefer the dark silver bezel of my KTouch... but a Decalgirl skin fixed that problem!

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: October 20, 2012, 05:50:16 am »
    I am returning both 3G and wifi Paperwhites due to shadows, mottling, sallow screen, short battery life, and lack of contrast.  Like Happy Guy, I am reading on my Fire HD.  It has a pure white background, great contrast, no shadows or mottling, and decent battery life.  :)

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: October 20, 2012, 06:19:57 am »
    The finger prints are a bit annoying.  I love the black bezel otherwise though.  I like black gadgets in general, and for reading I like the contrast of a black border around a white screen--be it my PW or reading on my black iPad 2.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:31 am »
    Tried the parental controls on my PW and using them does hide the suggested books on the home page and allows one more row of the first page of books to show (like said above, other pages of own books always show full page, so the suggestions are only an issue for the first page). The problem with that is the Store is disabled, instead of just password protected. I had to go turn off parental controls before I could access the store.

Offline manou

• Hong Kong
      • View Profile
      • DRESSED by Manuela on Etsy
    « Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
    Wow! Thank you for your very detailed review! I have been thinking about updating from KK to K5 (not interested in PW for many reasons). I now see NO reason to do so and will go kiss my KK and give it some over-due love it so deserves!
    I'm in the same boat, I was mulling over updating from my dearly beloved KK to the PW - whenever it might be available in Hong Kong. Looking at several pictures posted and the reviews here, on mobile read as well as on Amazon I decided that there is absolutely no good reason for me to do so. I love TTS, I love the page turn buttons and I love the e-ink screen (espcially after the last firm ware update). Instead I rewarded my KK with a new name (Esmerelda Weatherwax) a new cover and a new pink clip on book light  ;)
    Feel free to pm me for custom orders of covers, sleeves and tote bags or visit my shop at:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DressedByManuela

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: October 20, 2012, 08:31:30 am »
    I'm in the same boat, I was mulling over updating from my dearly beloved KK to the PW - whenever it might be available in Hong Kong. Looking at several pictures posted and the reviews here, on mobile read as well as on Amazon I decided that there is absolutely no good reason for me to do so. I love TTS, I love the page turn buttons and I love the e-ink screen (espcially after the last firm ware update). Instead I rewarded my KK with a new name (Esmerelda Weatherwax) a new cover and a new pink clip on book light  ;)

I just got my PW yesterday and I will be posting a review soon.  One of the main reasons I ordered the PW was no book-light needed. Would never would carry a book-light with me, and hated those times when the light was just a little too dim.  So the K5 would not be a option for me over my KK.

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:10 am »
    I just got my PW yesterday and I will be posting a review soon.  One of the main reasons I ordered the PW was no book-light needed. Would never would carry a book-light with me, and hated those times when the light was just a little too dim.  So the K5 would not be a option for me over my KK.

I have noticed that clip-on lights are fairly popular on this forum (a newbie observation). However, I'd personally never want to use any kind of clip-on light that wasn't an integral part of the cover. It would seem like a hassle having a light with you. I'm looking for a more integrated solution personally (having used the Amazon lighted covers on Kindle 3 and Kindle 4).

So, to CAR and others opposed to carrying book lights, are you also against using Kindle covers that include an integrated light? The Amazon lighted leather cover for Kindle 3 for example, I felt, was a pretty excellent leather case, that also included a reading light for those occasions that the regular lighting wasn't enough.

This picture has the Kindle 5 (right) in the lighted Amazon case:

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:18 am »
    I have noticed that clip-on lights are fairly popular on this forum (a newbie observation). However, I'd personally never want to use any kind of clip-on light that wasn't an integral part of the cover. It would seem like a hassle having a light with you. I'm looking for a more integrated solution personally (having used the Amazon lighted covers on Kindle 3 and Kindle 4).

So, to CAR and others opposed to carrying book lights, are you also against using Kindle covers that include an integrated light? The Amazon lighted leather cover for Kindle 3 for example, I felt, was a pretty excellent leather case, that also included a reading light for those occasions that the regular lighting wasn't enough.

This picture has the Kindle 5 (right) in the lighted Amazon case:

Yes its kinda funny, my wife has a lighted cover for her K3 and she still uses a book light sometimes.  BTW on that picture was the PW light on 24?  The text contrast on my PW looks much better at 18.

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: October 20, 2012, 11:35:03 am »
    CAR, yes the PW was on 24. It is blacker on lower settings I guess, but even when the light is to minimum, the text is not as black as on $69 Kindle 5:

Offline manou

• Hong Kong
      • View Profile
      • DRESSED by Manuela on Etsy
    « Reply #60 on: October 20, 2012, 04:33:36 pm »
    I have Amazon's cover with the built in light as well for my KK and love it, especially when travelling. However sat home sometimes I prefer to read with a clip on light.
    Feel free to pm me for custom orders of covers, sleeves and tote bags or visit my shop at:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DressedByManuela

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: October 20, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
    wow. the font darkness on the 69 dollar kindle next to the pw in that in the dark picture is crazy. the pw font looks terrible next to it. reminds me of when i first turned on my k3 and said "wow, these fonts are beautifully black." might have to sell my k4 and pick that new basic up. crap that font looks good. loving the pw screen texture though. perplexing because the ppi on the PW is 216 and the basic is the same as the k4. *shrug*
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:06:16 pm by northofdivision »
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »
    wow. the font darkness on the 69 dollar kindle next to the pw in that picture is crazy. the pw font looks terrible next to it. reminds me of when i first turned on my k3 and said "wow, these fonts are beautifully black." might have to sell my k4 and pick that new basic up. crap that font looks good. perplexing because the ppi on the PW is 216 and the basic is the same as the k4. *shrug*

Well you do have a extra layer you are looking thru that is not really being used in that picture.   FearIndex you had me convinced to try the $69 Kindle and the lighted cover. Until I looked at the reviews for the lighted cover... did you have problems with the page turn buttons with the cover on?

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: October 21, 2012, 12:14:03 am »
    Well you do have a extra layer you are looking thru that is not really being used in that picture.   FearIndex you had me convinced to try the $69 Kindle and the lighted cover. Until I looked at the reviews for the lighted cover... did you have problems with the page turn buttons with the cover on?

Actually, I don't like the official Amazon Kindle 4/5 lighted cover either. I like the idea of a lighted cover that takes its power from the device - the Kindle 3 Keyboard Amazon lighted cover for example is, in my view, excellent. However, the Kindle 4/5 official lighted cover is not the best: the light has a tendency to shine in your eyes when reading in bed and the quality of the cover is a little suspect.

The cover has also interfered with the page turn buttons for some people. For me, it was really minor with the Kindle 4 - not a problem. And for some reason with Kindle 5 there is no problem at all, is it the new slicker material or is it a hair smaller or something. My main gripes with the official Kindle 4/5 cover were the light angle and the quality (not worth the price in my opinion).

I am currently thinking the TechNet lighted cover for Kindle 4/5 would be a better solution, because the light is adjustable and its design is such that it shouldn't affect the page turn buttons either, it also takes its power from the device and the reviews are good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008635H4M/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: October 21, 2012, 12:23:31 am »
    wow. the font darkness on the 69 dollar kindle next to the pw in that in the dark picture is crazy. the pw font looks terrible next to it. reminds me of when i first turned on my k3 and said "wow, these fonts are beautifully black." might have to sell my k4 and pick that new basic up. crap that font looks good. loving the pw screen texture though. perplexing because the ppi on the PW is 216 and the basic is the same as the k4. *shrug*

It is really perplexing. One would thing the increased resolution in the PW would allow for sharper fonts, not the other way around, but definitely the crisper fonts are in the $69 Kindle 5 - and Kindle 4 too. Even Kindle 3 Keyboard is a tad bit darker/crisper than the PW, even when the PW frontlight is to the minimum. I'd attribute a part of this on the new PW screen and the two layers (touch, light) on top of it, part on the software. So I think there is some hope that future updates bring a little darker fonts to the PW. Indeed currently Caecilia and Helvetica fonts are darker than other fonts on the PW, the one in the pictures is Caecilia though, so it is using one of the darker fonts already. Swap to Baskerville or Palatino and the PW will look even less dark than in those pictures.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: October 21, 2012, 01:54:04 am »
    I have been doing these comparisons between other Kindles in this thread...

$69 Kindle 5 vs. Kindle Paperwhite vs. $79 Kindle 4 here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129956.msg1921055.html#msg1921055
    And Kindle 3 Keyboard vs. $69 Kindle 5 vs. Kindle Paperwhite here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129956.msg1921549.html#msg1921549
    And my Kindle PW review is here: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129852.0.html

Now it is time to put the venerable Kindle 2 against both the Kindle PW and the $69 Kindle 5. Is either a good upgrade from Kindle 2?

The looks:

The white Kindle 2 has held up remarkably well. While I think Kindle 1 was a bit weird looking, Kindle 2 already has that timeless design most Kindles have. Kindle 2 is, however, next the Kindle PW and Kindle 5, absolutely huge which makes its 6" screen seem smaller than the rest although it is the same size.

Out of the three, I think Kindle PW looks, with its very simple lines and rubbery sides, the best and Kindle 5 and Kindle 2 are tied for second position. All look good, Kindle 2 is just a lot bigger and heavier than the rest.

$69 Kindle 5 is the smallest and lightest, if that is a consideration. It is a LOT lighter than Kindle 2 and even Kindle PW.

Amazon lighted leather cover:

Kindle 2 didn't have a lighted Amazon leather cover, but it did have a very good regular leather cover from Amazon, much like the Kindle 3 non-lighted cover. Kindle PW also has a very nice non-lighted leather cover from Amazon, which closed up actually looks a bit like the Amazon 2 cover because they both have a metallic Kindle logo on them - something Kindle 3 or Kindle 4/5 lighted cases didn't have.

Only lighted case is for the Kindle 4/5, but as far as non-lighted cases go, Kindle 2 and Kindle PW have the better ones. Kindle 4/5 also have an official non-lighted case, but it lesser quality of all these. Kindle PW case is the best with the magnetic closing mechanism and the device sitting tightly inside it. Kindle 2 case lets the device wobble a bit in its metallic clips, but is otherwise a very solid, high-quality cover.

So, if you are used to and like the Kindle 2 cover from Amazon, upgrading to Kindle PW with Amazon cover is a safe bet. The Kindle 4/5 official case is a bit more of a mixed bag. Perhaps consider an alternative there, for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008635H4M/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

The software:

Unlike Kindle 3 Keyboard, which still runs pretty much the latest Amazon features (not quite all, but most), Kindle 2 software is starting to show its age. It too did get a 2.5 software update, which brings crisper fonts, collections and social media support, but there is a lot more missing than on the Kindle 3 Keyboard which is fairly equal to Kindle 5 in software-terms.

Some new things Kindle PW and Kindle 5 would bring to a Kindle 2 owner are the option for partial page refershes (instead of blink after each, this is not available on Kindle 3 either), support for panel view comic books and children's books, parental controls and some other smaller features. Kindle PW would also include X-Ray, translator, cover view for books etc. that Kindle 2 or Kindle 5 don't have.

Not to mention that the new devices are inherely a lot faster and run their software better. So, in terms of new software features, the upgrade certainly carries weight. However, again as a reminder, Kindle PW or Kindle 5 do not support audio of any kind! So if you need audiobooks or text-to-speech, consider upgrading your Kindle 2 to Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard (still sold by Amazon).

The function:

There are a couple of things I must mention about the Kindle 2, when compared to Kindle PW and Kindle 5. First is, since it is bigger, the second generation Kindle does probably have the best hardware keys and page change keys of all Kindles. PW obviously is touch only (but works well both in page changing and virtual keyboard), Kindle 5 has smaller page change keys that are harder to hit (not hard, but harder than Kindle 2) and no hardware keyboard, so if you must have a keyboard, Kindle PW's virtual one is better than the scroll-character-by-character Kindle 5 keyboard which is fine for short search words, but not much else. Kindle PW's virtual keyboard may be the best keyboard in any Kindle. The Kindle 5's 5-way controller is a bit better than the control knob on Kindle 2, in my opinion, though.

The second thing is the overall speed at which the devices operate. Kindle PW is fastest, Kindle 5 is fast enough and Kindle 2 slow as molasses. So, the newer Kindles change pages faster, operate menus faster, do everything faster. It is a quite distinct difference between Kindle 2 and later Kindles. Even Kindle 3 Keyboard is a lot faster than Kindle 2, which is in a slow-league of its own.

If you need hardware keyboard, an upgrade to Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard might be useful. It is a lot faster than Kindle 2 and has a better screen.

The screen:

Kindle 2 screen was a controversial star of its time, not unlike Kindle PW now. It had less contrast than the first Kindle and the infamous sun fade problem plagued some units.

Looking side by side at Kindle 2, Kindle PW and Kindle 5... I can safely say that the controversial-in-itself Kindle PW has finally found an earlier Kindle which is beats in text blackness. So if you are upgrading from Kindle 2 to Kindle PW, you should see an increase in text blackness on the new device (the PW frontlight is a different consideration though, you might or might not like it, remember it can't be fully turned off). The Kindle 2 is clearly the most light-texted one of these all and it also has a darker background than the others. The Kindle 2 software update up to 2.5.8 does make the fonts a little crisper compared to 2.3 though, but still not enough to touch the Kindle PW.

However, again, the undisputed king of black text is the $69 Kindle 5. It is so much blacker than either of the two competitors, new or old, that it isn't really funny anymore. For me, best of bunch is again the $69 Kindle 5. Kindle 5 has by far the best pure e-ink experience and for plain old reading its size and feature-set are pretty much perfect, if that is sufficient for your needs. If you need audio features or hardware keyboard and are coming from Kindle 2, consider the Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard instead - it is still sold by Amazon. If you want all the latest software tricks, Kindle PW is the way to go, but beware of the frontlight - you may love it or hate it.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: October 21, 2012, 09:07:36 am »
    Maybe some of you guys with experience on third-party lighted Kindle covers or clip-on lights want to chime in, how would you light up the Kindle PW (assuming frontlight-dislike)?

Still thinking about lighting up the PW as well, not sure, but looking at it. I am yet to find any real good covers that would include a light, I'm guessing some third-party Kindle Touch cases might be workable, but they seem awfully bulky and I dislike the idea of covering the Kindle PW bezel with a cover. I'd like to keep it as lightweight as possible, that's why I have preferred the Amazon lighted leather cases that have been very slim and light for what they are.

One option would be some kind of a clip-on light. This page lists some clip-on lights: http://www.squidoo.com/light-for-kindle

These two looked fairly interesting to me. Especially the first one seems kind of nice:

Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (Graphite)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verso-Clip-On-Reading-Kindle-Graphite/dp/B003FZA1OW/

Verso Rechargeable Arc Light for E-Readers - Graphite - Frustration Free Packaging
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verso-Rechargeable-Arc-Light-E-Readers/dp/B004D39RM2/

First one is probably the less intrusive of the two, but having to swap batteries every five hours of reading does not appeal to me at all - considering I've been spoiled by Kindle-powered reading lights since the Kindle 3 and Amazon lighted leather cover. The rechargeable model would at least be separately rechargeable without battery swapping. Still, the idea of adding a separate light, and one that doesn't get its power from the Kindle so needs charging/battery swapping, to my reading setup does not seem all that appealing. I like having a Kindle (with light) that is like a book, just open it and read, charge from one port both the device and the light. A separate clip-on light would indeed ruin that...

If anyone comes across a lighted cover that is suitable for Kindle Paperwhite, do post a link. Thank you. At least until I have setlled onto a satisfactory lighted case for the $69 Kindle 5, I'll keep looking at Kindle PW lighting solutions as well. And judging by the posts above, others who like PW but dislike reading it in the dark, might be interested in such solutions also.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: October 21, 2012, 10:00:16 am »
    For my money, the front light Kindle PW is vastly superior to any clip-on or case-mounted lighting I've used -- and I've had a Kindle since July of 2008 -- the original wedge shaped "K1".  I've used the "kindle kandle", the flex light, and one or two others I can't recall the name of.  All did the job, but none as well as the integrated lighting of the PW for me.

All clip-on lights or case-mounted lights, in my opinion, have the problem of a 'glare point'.  You can work around it depending on how you hold the device, but it's there. 

And, FWIW, I think the lighted case for the K4 is extremely cleverly designed.  A great improvement to the lighted case for the K3K which I actually never bought because I didn't like how it lighted the device, and felt like the extending arm could easily be broken.  It also added weight, mostly at the top, which made the whole thing feel a bit top heavy to me.  The K4 case really solved all those problems, but there's still the 'glare point'. :-\

So. . . .I clearly don't have the problem . . . .but I can say that when looking for lights for my K1, K3, and K4, I looked for light weight lights that were flexible.  I did not want too much weight that could affect how I held the device or made it more fatiguing.  And flexibility meant I could move the light source to minimize glare rather than having to tilt the kindle.  More generalized, or 'soft', light sources also made for less glare.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:34 am »
    Agreed.  For me the PW beats the crap out of any clip on light I used with my K1, K2, or K3.  They all have the glare point Ann notes, I always found it hard to get the screen lit etc.

The PW is clearly not for everyone as some have commented that they think it looks too much like an LCD screen when the lights up, some can't find one they don't notice color blotches on etc.  So its definitely a YMMV situation as everyone's eyes, preferences, quirks etc. are different.

I personally don't mind reading on LCD screens, so that's moot for me.  And I still find the PW screen is easier on the eyes than an LCS as the light isn't shining directly out form the screen as the screen is just glowing.  So it's near perfect for my needs.  Nice, evenly lit screen, whiter background with the light on (hate the drab grey of e-ink) etc.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: October 21, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
    Appreciate the comments Ann and mooshie78.

On the topic of Kindle 3 lighted cover, I never broke mine or felt it would be easily broken during the years of use. It is very durable and high quality. Also the Kindle 3 light doesn't shine in the eyes when reading in bed because the light points more downwards, unlike the Kindle 4 cover which many people comment does shine in the eyes when reading in bed. Kindle 4 does light the screen from the middle which some may prefer, whereas Kindle 3 case does it from the side though, which may affect preferences of course. I own both Kindle 3 lighted cover and Kindle 4 lighted cover from Amazon (Kindle 3 passed onto family now though). I greatly prefer the Kindle 3 case, both from lighting perspective and quality perspective, over the Kindle 4 case from Amazon.

It is true that the light both Kindle 3 and Kindle 4 Amazon lighted covers produce has hotspotting (in other words, an intense ball of light in one place) and from that bright spot it falls gradually darker towards the edges. However, personally I find that more pleasing to the eyes than the unevenness of Kindle PW frontlight and especially the LCD-likeness of the frontlight. I do appreciate that your mileage does vary, so anyone pondering this should try the lighted cases and the PW frontlight themselves to see which they like the best.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:39 am »
    My favorite reading light is the Lumatec - its very light and the LEDs are soft.   The light is big enough that it doesn't glare like some of the others

http://www.amazon.com/Lumatec-Everest-Reading-Light/dp/B0001FUJLO

It also has a cord that you can wrap around your neck instead of attaching it to your cover.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:17:49 pm by bordercollielady »

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 01:16:38 pm »
    Thanks for the great tip bordercollielady!

This also looks promising, great thing about it seems that it charges through micro USB, so it could be charged using the same charger as the Kindle:

Verso Rechargeable Wrap Light for E-Readers - Graphite
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004D39RMW/

Offline tiktokman

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: October 22, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

After sending back two Paperwhites that I could not read on for more than 15 minutes without getting a headache I received my $69 Kindle on Friday. The contrast is so much better and the text much more crisp on the $69 Kindle. I read with the smallest font setting, typeface 'condensed', line spacing 'small' and WPL at 'default'. I have read for several hours over the last few days with no fatigue and the finally have the ability to get lost in a book again.

If I need to read at night in a dark room I'll just use my iphone or ipad with the background set to black and the font set to white.

For me the Paperwhite is one or two revisions from being usable (if ever). I had the Kindle Touch and loved it so there must be something with the 3rd overlay that breaks the reading experience for me.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »
    Agreed.  For me the PW beats the crap out of any clip on light I used with my K1, K2, or K3.  They all have the glare point Ann notes, I always found it hard to get the screen lit etc.

The PW is clearly not for everyone as some have commented that they think it looks too much like an LCD screen when the lights up, some can't find one they don't notice color blotches on etc.  So its definitely a YMMV situation as everyone's eyes, preferences, quirks etc. are different.

I personally don't mind reading on LCD screens, so that's moot for me.  And I still find the PW screen is easier on the eyes than an LCS as the light isn't shining directly out form the screen as the screen is just glowing.  So it's near perfect for my needs.  Nice, evenly lit screen, whiter background with the light on (hate the drab grey of e-ink) etc.

Totally.

And I think the new PW screen...one that is not defective...is great.  Have used one and like it.

OTOH, I ended up buying the Fire HD yesterday, lol. After weighing many factors.

Love everything about it except the extra weight. But the reading screen, with the Sepia setting, makes for a very nice "softer" reading environment IMO.

If I have anything left after the holidays, I may still splurge and get the PW but my K Keyboard still functions just fine for home reading. The Fire will commute with me.

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: October 22, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
    Yeah, I don't mind reading on a back lit screen at all.  I just have no real use for a 7" tablet--I need the 9.7" iPad screen for a lot of my work PDFs and other tasks.  And I don't really want two tablets in different sizes--and also don't like that pretty much all tablets other than the iPad are 16x9 widescreen ratios rather than 4:3.  I find 16x9 screens too narrow for reading in portrait orientation, and too wide in landscape.

So I just keep a Kindle as I like the smaller and lighter form factor for curling up and reading a novel.  The longer battery life is nice too.  But I do still do a good bit of reading on my iPad between newspapers and PDFs of scholarly journal articles for work.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement