Kindle Forum banner

Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?

88K views 641 replies 77 participants last post by  Trophywife007 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread like (hopefully ;D ) the historical romance thread (over 2000 posts now!). 

What are your favorite Paranormal Romance and/or Urban Fantasy books/series and why?  What about your disappointments?

I got started on these genres with the Sookie Stackhouse, Blackdagger Brotherhood, and Fever series -- all recommended by people on these boards.  The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning is probably my favorite and I feel lucky for stumbling upon the first in the series as a freebie right after I got my first Kindle.  I wouldn't necessarily call it "romantic" but in the end, it was a romance in an urban fantasy setting.  The quality and consistency in Moning's writing throughout the series was outstanding, I thought.  Very compelling story and characters I thought.

Blackdagger Brotherhood continues to be a favorite and I like the way J.R. Ward weaves different story lines together in one book.  Maybe there are some characters and stories I prefer over others, but Ward's writing continues to intrigue me.

I don't know what to say about Sookie.  I loved the series in the beginning, through about the 7th or 8th one, but for me it has been downhill since then.  I've been pretty disappointed in the direction the series has taken and though I will read the final installment next May, I don't have high hopes.  I loved Sookie as a character, but something has changed with the overall feeling of the series over the last 4 (ish) books.  Okay, I admit I love Eric Northman and really hate what Charlene Harris has done with him and Sooks.

Please start listing your suggestions, both yeas and nays.  There are so many offerings, and I and many others will be interested in your views!

See less See more
#2 ·
I COMPLETELY agree with you on Sookie.  Although I did not make it to 7.  I really enjoyed about the first 3 and then...I read a couple more.  But yanno.  Just didn't hold up.

My favorites:

Frank Tuttle's Markhat series
John Levitt's  Dog Days series
Patricia Briggs  Alpha and Omega series.  Her Mercy Thompson is pretty awesome as well.  I also LOVED her "When Demons Walk."
Ilona Andrews The Kate Daniels Series is great.  The first in The Edge was AWESOME and probably my favorite of hers.
Let's see...
Skin Deep by Mark Del Franco.  I've only read the first in the series and really enjoyed it.  Have the second ready to go.
Blade Song by J.C. Daniels.  Will be interesting to see if the series holds up, but the first was AWESOME.  IT's also on sale for 1.99 in Amazon's 100 books for the month sale (I think.)

I have some others on my blog that I Reviewed that are pretty good...

Illegal Magic by Arlene Blakely - Decent read.
Maggie for Hire by Kate Danely
Unicorn on Speed Dial by Jeanette Cottrell  -- I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book, but it's stand alone.  Still worth a read, but not a series. 
Maggie Get yo

#3 ·
I am going to love this thread.  ;D. I was not very familiar with PNR or UF. Although when thinking back when I was a teenager and early 20's, I devoured a german series called John Sinclair. He was a ghost hunter that went after all the bad creatures like ghouls. I read a lot of horror and stuff at the time and I am not sure what genre other than pulp fictions those are or how they compare to UF.

So I had to go back in my records and I think I started with Twilight with the PNR. Technically I guess all the time travels I read are also PNR, so I was already used to that aspect, but the vampire and werewolf in a romantic setting was new to me.
I am sure I am going to mangle a lot of the names. Why do PNR and UF writers sometimes have weirdly spelled names  :D
Anyway
I then read some Sherrilyn Kenyon some Larissa Ione and her Demon series. I loved the first one, have to keep reading.

I also read the Sookie series, 8 or so, I'll have to check to see where I stopped. I read about 7 of the Anita Blake series, which I also loved. Haven't gone past that yet though.

My favorite so far is the Fever series, I devoured that series in like a weekend. I waited until all the books where published though  :p

I read I think 2 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and I won't continue with that one. Just too much annoying stuff in there to be honest. I kept skipping over the baby powder stuff and the terminology the author uses is a total turnoff for me.

I wasn't to enamored with Kresley Coles "A Hunger like no other either". The heroine was whiny and the other women are described a bit too um, you know B***. Not a fan of that.

I started the Chicago Vampire series about Merit by Chloe Neill and I love love love it. I love the humor in it. Its what is missing in a lot of these UF series I think. I am reading book 4 right now.

I started Jeaniene Frost with Bones and unfortunately after book 4, I got turned off both Bones and cat. I read the book in between about Mencheres and they came across really bad. I also thought I think it was book 3 or 4 it was just too depressing. They did nothing but bicker and people died left and right. Not sure if I am going to continue.

I also started Mercy Thomson - Patricia Briggs , I am 2 books in and I love that one too.

I started Nalini Singh and the Psy series, one book in. It was very interesting to me. Not 100% sure if I like continue on it right now, but it was really good. Unique in the sea of others.

I also started Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews and that is the one that reminds me most of the John Sinclair I used to devour back in the day. I really like that one. Something about the atmosphere is very vivid there.

I also loved the Iron Duke, although I guess that is more Steampunk? I am not sure where the lines are drawn, I kind of throw everything into PNR  :D
Tairen soul is another series I started recently, very good too.

#4 ·
Big fan here... Where do I start on favorites?

Jeaniene Frost - Cat & Bones
Patricia Briggs - Alpha & Omega, Mercy Thompson
Darynda Jones - Charley Davidson
Kim Harrison - Rachel Morgan/Hollows
Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels
Karen Marie Moning - Fever

I'm sure I'm missing some. I read so many different ones!

Disappointments,

Dresden Files they're actually decent, but I can't read too many in a row because the author info dumps too much in each book
Sookie: gave up after the first 3 or 4
Black Dagger Brotherhood: Totally not my style

#5 ·
Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London  (for the Americans, for some unknown reason the US publishers renamed it Midnight Riot) - a good portrayal of London with a light touch.

Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares novels.  Are they urban fantasy? Well, they're fantasies set in a city, and I like them -  - fast, furious, lots of action, and a heroine who kicks ass. But I suspect not quite what the OP intended.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files - good, effective, and fun.

And finally Emma Bull's War for the Oaks - the first Urban fantasy I ever came across,  back in 1987, before the term had been coined.

#7 ·
LOL, I've heard many who are put off by the fakey "gangsta" (sp?) speak on BDB, and frankly that isn't my favorite part either!

I've heard lots about the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews but haven't gotten around to starting it.

I've enjoyed the Alpha/Omega series by Patricia Briggs a lot but haven't had the chance to start Mercy Thompson.

Nalini Singh: I've read many of her Guild Hunter series and have really enjoyed them so far:

I've read the first three of the Chicagoland Vampires and enjoy that series as well -- really, really like the main character I had been holding off on reading them, waiting until a few more are released so that in case there's a cliffhanger I can get past the hump, so to speak. With Fever I held on to the fourth one and read it after the fifth one came out.

#8 ·
Yeah, the cliffhanger warnings with Fever made me wait. It wasn't a very long wait, I started reading that series shortly before the last book #5 came out.  ;D

I forgot to mention the Dresden files. I was a bit disappointed with that one. I read 2 of them now and I am not sure if I want to continue. Harry to me is written like a 13 year old boy. Very simplistic and juvenile. To me he is what I usually describe a TSTL heroine in other novels.  :D. Just not finding him engaging. I am also not too hip on the simplistic way the author describes and writes about women. Just not getting into that writing style I guess.
In the reviews I keep reading that it is suppose to get better. I can get them at the overdrive library, so I am not out of anything.

I am going to try Kevin Hearne too, which I guess is about some Druid dude.  :p

I have figured out though that as a whole I prefer PNR and UF that is geared towards adult, not YA. I am not a big fan of YA so that might be it.

I am already getting a few more to try out in this thread so this is good.

I have on wait list at the library in paper Robin D. Owens "Heartmate", first in a series. The library has to purchase first and its not on overdrive. It sounded interesting.

#10 ·
I got lucky on the Fever series--I found it after they were all published.  It was recommended to me a couple of months ago and I read the entire series in 10 days.  Loved it!  I would have hated having to wait as they really had cliffhanger endings.

I love the Dresden Files and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. Atunah, if you don't like the Dresden Files you may not like the Iron Druid series, they have a similar feel to them.

Audible.com just had a sale and I took a chance and bought the entire Kate Daniels series.  I started listening to the first one this week.

I'm really glad to see this thread.  This a pretty new genre for me and I appreciate seeing the series that people have really liked.

#11 ·
These are so many PNR & UF series that I want to read & haven't had to the chance to read yet. Of the ones I have read, I enjoyed these....

Karen Marie Moning - Fever series
Lara Adrian - Midnight Breed
J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series, Alpha & Omega series
Jeaniene Frost - Night Huntress series
Darynda Jones - Charley Davidson series
Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunters series (hit & miss, loved some & some were just okay)
Thea Harrison - Elder Races series (I've only read the 1st two so far)

#12 ·
I have Darynda Jones on my wishlist at the library. Would have to read as paperbook.

I read the first one of Christine Feehan "Dark Prince". Its another one of those series with a gazillion books in it. I really did not like Dark Prince at all. It was so purply prosish and just weird. I wonder if later installments are better, but I don't want to waste my time if its anything like the first. I gave it a generous 2 stars on goodreads. Maybe I am getting picky.

I still have to read another of the Kenyon one, the dark hunter, or whatevers. I am having a hard time figuring out what the next in the series is as its so broken up in series within a series. It makes me not want to read when it gets that confusing. :eek:. I am skipping all the novella stuff as that is overdoing it for me.
I have Night embrace on wait list at the library which is the next for me in series. I hate reading in paper, but no way am I paying $7.99 for a kindle book that has been out since 2006.

I am getting a bit confused at what series I have started and where I am at. I mean its all in goodreads, but I started so many now I am going :eek: :eek:. And everything is a series in PNR/UF now isn't it.

drenfrow said:
I love the Dresden Files and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. Atunah, if you don't like the Dresden Files you may not like the Iron Druid series, they have a similar feel to them.
I think for me its the writing. I am hoping I like Hearne better. Dresden just is so cardboardish for me. I don't have the words to describe what is missing for me, but I am just not getting a sense of any of the characters, including Harry. He seems more like an outline of a character to me than filled in. I am really bad at explaining things. But reviewers keep saying it gets better from book 3 or 4 on, so maybe I'll try one more time with book 3.
Its sad because I like the subject of the Dresden books, the world and the "things" in it.

I am just trying to mix it up because I can already tell that I am going to get worn out by gung ho Zena warrior type female leaders of series. Especially since most of this stuff is in 1st person and that is always hard for me.

And here I am adding more stuff to my list when I am already overwhelmed with the amount of series I started :D Help :D

#13 ·
Atunah said:
I have Darynda Jones on my wishlist at the library. Would have to read as paperbook.
You must read these. They are fantastic (and hilarious at times)

I couldn't get into Feehan's Carpathian series (Dark Prince). I think I read the first two and gave up. I do like her Drake Sisters and Ghostwalker series though.

I think my problem with some of the PNR series is that I don't like the Alpha male with the weak, virgin female type books. I like strong, kick-butt, female characters.

#14 ·
Atunah said:
I still have to read another of the Kenyon one, the dark hunter, or whatevers. I am having a hard time figuring out what the next in the series is as its so broken up in series within a series. It makes me not want to read when it gets that confusing. :eek:. I am skipping all the novella stuff as that is overdoing it for me.
I have Night embrace on wait list at the library which is the next for me in series. I hate reading in paper, but no way am I paying $7.99 for a kindle book that has been out since 2006.
I agree, I remember that every site I look on had them listed in different order. I ended up printing a reading order list form Sherrilyn Kenyon's website, but I think it's pretty close to the goodreads order. I think that following the goodreads order would work out.

Atunah said:
I am getting a bit confused at what series I have started and where I am at. I mean its all in goodreads, but I started so many now I am going :eek: :eek: . And everything is a series in PNR/UF now isn't it.
I have so many series started that I had a hard time keeping track too. I love http://www.fictfact.com/ for keeping track of my series! As you read a book, the next book in line shows up on your list & they also keep track of upcoming books in your series. If one of your series isn't listed, you just hit the "Recommend" button & they usually have it up there the following day. :)

#15 ·
I started listing my series on fictfact, but then I kept forgetting to update and its bad enough keeping up with goodreads :D

I am just going with the flow :p

I'll go by the Goodreads order with the Dark Hunter series. As much as I need to go by order, there are so many in the series, who knows if I ever get anywhere near the end anyway.

I feel like that with the "In Death" series too.

Luvmy4brats said:
You must read these. They are fantastic (and hilarious at times)

I couldn't get into Feehan's Carpathian series (Dark Prince). I think I read the first two and gave up. I do like her Drake Sisters and Ghostwalker series though.

I think my problem with some of the PNR series is that I don't like the Alpha male with the weak, virgin female type books. I like strong, kick-butt, female characters.
See I am torn on this. I cannot stand banshee screeching super woman Zena warriors when they are way over the top. Not sure if I can describe this better. I would have never picked up either the Chicago Vampire series or the Mercy Thompson based on the covers. Those covers with the "badass" looking females is not a draw for me at all.
For example Kat from the Jeaniene Frost series is already grating on my nerves with the rah rah I'll kick anything that walks attitude. I need some more balance. And I need equally strong male characters in a series. I don't like it if the men are just neutered side kicks to the women.

But I don't want super whiny ladies either. But I'd rather have a strong alpha guy and a female that is not super Zena and just strong by character and actions. I have no issue with that.

I tend to lean more towards PNR where at least one of the couple is human. But as one can see with my list, I have found the exceptions that I like. But when I usually hear kick-butt heroine, I tend to get turned off as my initial reaction. It takes reviews from people here or those I follow on Goodreads for me to try anyway.

So yeah, I am a bit torn and I will take it by case to case basis. I am thinking that I will probably stop some of the series just because the heroine will start to grate. I am only in early stages on many of them.

I think part of the problem for me is 1st person. If there is already a crack in the likability for me, it makes it really hard for me to get over the 1st person writing.

#16 ·
I love to read PRN and Urban Fantasy. I jump from series to series without going straight through, so I've probably read a little of everything.

I'm reading listening to Dance of the Gods by Nora Roberts. It is the second book in the Circle Trilogy. Vampires, witches, shapeshifters, oh my. This book even gave me a nightmare the other night. Teach me to fall asleep listening to vamps.

#17 ·
Atunah said:
I am getting a bit confused at what series I have started and where I am at. I mean its all in goodreads, but I started so many now I am going :eek: :eek:. And everything is a series in PNR/UF now isn't it.
I think for me its the writing. I am hoping I like Hearne better. Dresden just is so cardboardish for me. I don't have the words to describe what is missing for me, but I am just not getting a sense of any of the characters, including Harry. He seems more like an outline of a character to me than filled in. I am really bad at explaining things. But reviewers keep saying it gets better from book 3 or 4 on, so maybe I'll try one more time with book 3.
Its sad because I like the subject of the Dresden books, the world and the "things" in it.

I am just trying to mix it up because I can already tell that I am going to get worn out by gung ho Zena warrior type female leaders of series. Especially since most of this stuff is in 1st person and that is always hard for me.

And here I am adding more stuff to my list when I am already overwhelmed with the amount of series I started :D Help :D
I didn't like the Hearne ones--the writing is ... punchier than Dresden--quite good--very good... but...the main is a self-absorbed god. I read through chapter 6. I won't say more as it would contain spoilers, but rather than being out to save the world, he left me with the distinct impression of being concerned pretty much with himself only. I found Dresden flat as well (and not terribly logical in some of the actions.) I liked the Dresden character way better than the Hearne character, I will say that. Dresden is a nice guy, a bit bumbling. The Hearne character came across as, oh never mind. You'll have to try it. I think those first 6 chapters are still free on the author's website. I was so excited to read this book, but after the first 6 was really glad I didn't run out and pay full price for it.

#18 ·
MariaESchneider said:
I didn't like the Hearne ones--the writing is ... punchier than Dresden--quite good--very good... but...the main is a self-absorbed god. I read through chapter 6. I won't say more as it would contain spoilers, but rather than being out to save the world, he left me with the distinct impression of being concerned pretty much with himself only. I found Dresden flat as well (and not terribly logical in some of the actions.) I liked the Dresden character way better than the Hearne character, I will say that. Dresden is a nice guy, a bit bumbling. The Hearne character came across as, oh never mind. You'll have to try it. I think those first 6 chapters are still free on the author's website. I was so excited to read this book, but after the first 6 was really glad I didn't run out and pay full price for it.
Hmm, you give me things to ponder. I have Hearne on the overdrive wait list at the library, so once it comes up I can read a bit and see if I like it. I am not sure I can like a main character that is too self absorbed.

And that is the thing about Harry Dresden that frustrates me. He does seem to be likable, but its just not complete for me. So because of that I keep hoping it gets better and he acts more his age :D. He does act like a doofos, there was some stupid stuff in the last book I read. Its like a bad horror movie where everyone knows you are not suppose to go in this room and the character does it anyway, with big doe eyes :D. And then he does it again and again ::)
And again, I think for me because of the 1st person, it grates more.

Is everything now written in 1st person? Seems like everything I start lately is like that. I don't like it as much though.

To add:
I finished #4 on the Chicago Vampire series by Chloe Neill and I am still :eek: :eek: :eek:. I rushed and grabbed #5 from the library right away. But I am still going "What the hell, I can't even...."

#19 ·
Atunah said:
To add:
I finished #4 on the Chicago Vampire series by Chloe Neill and I am still :eek: :eek: :eek:. I rushed and grabbed #5 from the library right away. But I am still going "What the hell, I can't even...."
I'm reading this one right now... heard about certain things beforehand, so that's why I waited until #5 and #6 were out.

I recently finished Penmort Castle, which I found on the bargain book ($2.99) thread here. It has a castle and a ghost, so it's apropos for Halloween

I do like that the author was able to get me involved with the main characters... an element in the end was a bit cheesy, but overall a pretty good read.

#20 ·
I think one reason I liked the Kevin Hearne series so much is that I listened to it.  The narrator was great and his voice for Oberon (the dog) was just perfect.  Having a great narrator on an audiobook can really bring the book alive.

#21 ·
Atunah said:
To add:
Aww, now you did it! :-\ That's one of the series that I want to read, but I've challenged myself to try not to start any new series this year! I've got over 50 books in my "up next series" shelf on goodreads that I'm trying to whittle down to a reasonable number. That means I have about 50 series already in progress, since I only have the next up book on the list & not the entire series! :eek: Some of the books on the list are upcoming releases & some series I'll never finish (like JD Robb's "In Death" series), so I'm concentrating in the series that I can knock out.... at least that's the plan! ;)

#22 ·
No no, no, you really need to start on the Chicago Vampire series.  ;D. I found it a nice break in all the other UF/PNR series I am reading. Its all in the heroine, Merit. She is so darn likable and her and her girlfriend are so witty. What are you waiting for.  :p.

I have a shelf like that on goodreads. Mine is called series-next-up. I am at 131 there for now. But I haven't added everything yet. These are all series that I either want to read, have started to read and so I put whatever the next book in series is in there. I need a series re organizing of my Goodreads shelfs though. I keep pushing it off as I have to go one by one to make sure its all the way I need it and I have over 3000 books total shelved.  :eek:

J.D Robb, I don't know if I'll ever finish that one. For every one I read, she releases 2 more  :D. My next up there is "Reunion in Death" which goodreads has marked as #14. This one for some reason is only available as an audiobook at the libraries I belong too. I am not on board with audio books yet. I keep trying, maybe one day. For now the only way I can listen to a audio book, is if I sit still on the chair or sofa with my eyes closed. As soon as I do anything else, I miss everything that happened. I don't know how to train my brain to do otherwise.

#23 ·
Great thread! I need some new series' to start. Right now I'm re-reading one of my favorites, the Cast series by Michelle Sagara. Wonderful books, with an amazing female lead, I love them. I think there are 8 in the series so far.

I think UF is probably my preferred genre, because of the plethora of strong females in the lead. But they have to be well done, and the vampires can get old fast.

I love Harry Dresden and Mercy Thompson, the Fever Series, Sookie and Rachel Morgan, some older Anita Blake and Princess Merry, and Lilith Saintcrow, didn't see her mentioned here either.

#24 ·
Atunah said:
Hmm, you give me things to ponder. I have Hearne on the overdrive wait list at the library, so once it comes up I can read a bit and see if I like it. I am not sure I can like a main character that is too self absorbed.

And that is the thing about Harry Dresden that frustrates me. He does seem to be likable, but its just not complete for me. So because of that I keep hoping it gets better and he acts more his age :D. He does act like a doofos, there was some stupid stuff in the last book I read. Its like a bad horror movie where everyone knows you are not suppose to go in this room and the character does it anyway, with big doe eyes :D. And then he does it again and again ::)
And again, I think for me because of the 1st person, it grates more.

Is everything now written in 1st person? Seems like everything I start lately is like that. I don't like it as much though.

To add:
Your comments on Dresden: EXACTLY. I can only take so much of the "I'm going to do this very stupid thing." EXACTLY, EXACTLY, YES< YES!!! DRIVES ME BATTY. The first book where he just conveniently goes into danger ... where is that spoiler tag...
without his magic staff even though he could have gotten it had he spent even a SMALL amount of time on WALKING UP SOME STAIRS TO GET IT
nearly had me tearing a page out.

Okay. Got that off my chest. Sorry. Hearne's character wasn't PRECISELY like that in his actions, but in the first six chapters, I kind of thought he was ignoring some pretty big clues. On top of being self-absorbed. And I say that and still have to admit the writing itself was strong. It's an oxymoron, I know.

As for first person, I think you're stuck with it because in the polls of my readers...and when I look at what sells across my books...it may not be because it's first person, but it seems that some readers have kind of "grown up" or gotten used to it in the UF segment especially. I do see complaints about it now and then though. I've gotten comfortable reading either. I don't even "see" it. I do refuse to read third person present though. ::)

#26 ·
I seem to be in the minority because I'm still enjoying Sookie Stackhouse. It's not a series where I'm dying to get my hands on the next one, but I think they are still fun, light reads. I like that Charlaine Harris
isn't afraid to kill off characters
, and I'm still hoping
that Sookie and Sam will realize that they belong together

For the younger crowd, I recently read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series and really enjoyed it. I'm interested in reading his other series now, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.