Author Topic: iPad Mini Accessories  (Read 9983 times)  

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
iPad Mini Accessories
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »
Now that I have been enabled in buying the Mini, what cover/case are you buying? I want to get one that has the wake/sleep function.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline mkelley

• View Profile
    Re: iPad Mini Accessories
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:19 am »
    I got Apple's Smart Cover, way overpriced but I needed that sleep/wake function myself.

It's early days yet, and while there are a few things available (and many, many more announced) pickings are going to be slim for a while.  I will say that I don't like the mini Smart Cover as much as I liked the bigger brother version on my iPad 3.  Because the mini is so, well, mini, the cover itself feels a bit uncomfortable in my hands.  For long reading periods I tend to just take the cover completely off (which is okay, as it goes back on in an instant, but it does kind of beg the question as to why you have it.  I just don't want to leave my mini nekked around the house, though, and particularly if I take it with me somewhere).

Here's the deal: if you are used to an iPad or an iPhone and think "boy I really need a case/cover" you may want to rethink things.  The mini is just perfect as it is, the perfect size, weight and thickness for easy holding and using.  Adding anything to it, any sort of thickness in any direction, just messes it up big time.  It's not like an iPhone where any added bulk is insignificant (because the device itself is so small) or the iPad where any cover is so small in relation to the rest of the device is basically unnoticed.  The mini is so great precisely because it's right where it needs to be.

What I really think is necessary is some sort of carrying case -- putting in my pocket (assuming I had a pocket big enough, which may not be likely) with just the Smart Cover on wouldn't work well, as the cover isn't so secure it couldn't move.  So I'm looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/STM-Jacket-Padded-Devices-DP-2138-1/dp/B005LUQFB2/ref=br_lf_m_1000844061_3_72_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1413569462&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000844061&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02QJK4RYCY7WY5JT8Z3J

which would be nice if I tossed the mini into my backpack or the backseat of the car.

Offline mkelley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:17:58 am »
    Oh, and even though you asked about covers/cases in your post, the subject of this thread might lead some to look for other things and I'll note that the 10w charger (which does not come with the mini -- the 5w comes with it) that came with my iPad 3 charges the mini MUCH faster than the one that came with it. 

Apple doesn't sell it anymore, but they do sell the 12w, which I assume will work at least as fast as the 10w.  While it's early days, I found I could charge from almost zero to full in under 3 1/2 hours with the 10w, whereas it was around 5 1/2+ hours with the 5w. 

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »
    Great advice, mkelley! I just pre-ordered the iPad Mini itself & nothing else. I wasn't sure on the smartcover for the mini, so I didn't get it. I got a smartcover for my iPad 2, so I do know that I love the wake/sleep function. I also love the travel bags from Borsa Bella. I got the black bag that is water resistant on the inside & out. I use that for any of my 7" devices if it rains outside. I'll wait & see what the offerings are first. I did not know that about the charger. I will be sure to get that. Thanks!
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:42:11 pm by Toby »

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:31 pm »
    DecalGirl just announced today that they have skins for the Mini now. And I have a pink Smart Cover.

I also ordered this:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:46:54 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline kwajkat

• The Good Washington
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »
    I have the MoKo case with the hand strap. MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case for Apple iPad Mini 7.9 Inch Tablet, BLACK(with Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep Feature). It is $6.98. It is really a nice case and reasonably prices. I normally go with Marware CEO Hybrid cases which run $45. This case is almost the same and is available now while Marware are backordered.

I find the cases with the hand straps work best for me when it comes to holding it.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:38:02 pm »
    I was looking last night and found this one, last night the price was $1.98 plus shipping - now it's $9.98 plus shipping!   :-X  Still haven't totally decided to go with the Mini...but I like this and I like the auto wake/sleep feature on my Fire HD.  (It does come in other colors.)

MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smartshell Stand Case for Apple iPad Mini 7.9-Inch Tablet, PINK (with Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep)

But since I've found I prefer the back-only cases on my 1st gen iPad and my original Fire, I might just go with something like this:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:29:59 pm by Meemo »
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:25:24 pm »
    Here's one currently $3.48 plus $4.50 shipping:

It popped up on my recommendations because I was looking at the cover Meemo posted.  :D

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even see the Moko one, the smartshell cover one, when I went browsing at amazon. I ordered the Pink Moko one, Meemo. Heather is trying to enable me in the beautiful DecalGirl Decals, which I love as well. ;D Thanks Heather! I'll take a look.

Offline mkelley

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:40 pm »
    One other thing I've noticed is the mini fits into a pocket on my cargo shorts, quite easily (in fact, it even works fine when I sit down).  So I've decided I don't need a carrying case, I'll just leave the Smart Cover on (until I read -- I still prefer to read with it off, as it fits in the hand really nice without anything else needed).

Although... if it does rain then I might need something else (as the pocket it fits into doesn't quite close).

Offline MagentaSunset

• Southeastern Pennsylvania
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:03:04 am »
    I got the SmartCover and will use it most of the time.  But I was concerned about scratching the back while traveling, so I also got a Belkin case. 

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:07:22 pm »
    So after playing with DH's Mini some more, and watching the price of the pink cover go up overnight, I went ahead and ordered my two most likely choices.  Once again putting the cart before the horse like I did with the HD.  Now to decide whether I want to keep the HD (I like things about both, but I'm cheap...)

em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »
    I'd ordered a couple of free iPhone 5 cases from ZooGue and they came today, and I like them a lot.  I just noticed a couple more offers - they're currently offering a free (pay for S&H - it came to $3.99 for me) stylus/pen combo.  http://www.zoogue.com/tablet-stylus/

And they will be offering the same case I got for my iPhone (the "Social Pro") free for the mini iPad "soon" - you can sign up to be notified when it's available to order for just S&H.  It's a back-only case - I like my phone case enough I wish I'd waited on ordering the back-only case for my Mini that's been shipped.   http://www.zoogue.com/ipad_cases/ipad_mini_cases/

em

Offline nicknicknick

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:28 pm »
    I bought one called STM grip mini ipad case. It's perfect. Very tough,light and simple. Am most happy with it.

http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/iPad-mini-case/grip-ipadmini/

They're in Australian stores now and apparently will be in the US in Dec.

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »
    I just received this case and I love it. It's white and silver and matches my iPad perfectly. It hardly adds any extra weight or bulk.

I also got this stand last week. It's on sale for $19.99 and I had a $12 rewards coupon. It's only available at Staples right now though.

http://t.staples.com/skava/static/product.html?type=StaplesProduct&input=%7B%22url%22%3A%5B%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.staples.com%2FFelix-TwoHands-Tablet-eReader-Stands%2Fproduct_SS1093866%22%5D%7D

It's an amazingly simple design (one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas) and it works great in both landscape and portrait, even with my case. I can also use it with my Kindle.

The pink cover I posted earlier is okay, but I don't think it offers quite enough protection. I like the idea of the Apple Smart Cover, but don't like how it keeps popping off.

Offline Toby

• MA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:20 pm »
    I got the Moko Pink Cover yesterday. See pics/ link above as someone posted this already.
    It's a pretty pink. Same style as Heather's cover. Heather, yours is a pretty color. I like the fact that the cover is slim & lightweight as well as having the wake/sleep function.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »
    I'm still waiting on my back-only case (canceled the other one, I just prefer the back-only style).  But this time of year my hands are so dry, and the Mini is so thin & light I was paranoid about dropping it.  So I pulled out my old, but still gorgeous, black Oberon Wild Rose cover (velcro style).  The Mini fit in it beautifully, and I kept it that way for a few days.  But gorgeous and convenient as it was, it just added too much weight, wrecking one of my favorite things about the Mini.

So for now when I'm not using the Mini I'm keeping it in the Octovo K2 sleeve I bought for my husband a while back (but he never used).  Once the back cover gets here I'll switch over to a Vera Bradley eReader sleeve.
    em

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 01:07:47 pm »
    I thought about using my Taupe dragonfly Oberon for the mini, but decided that it would just be too heavy. I really wish I could find a use for that

Offline Vet

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »
    Hi Heather, have you decided to get a DG skin? I'd love to see a picture!  :)
    Yvette

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 04:28:13 pm »
    Hi Heather, have you decided to get a DG skin? I'd love to see a picture!  :)
    Yvette

I haven't decided yet, but I might get the composition book skin.

Offline Vet

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »
    That would be nice with the white and silver case.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:09 pm »
    Sooo, I got tired of waiting for the back-only cover, which apparently is being delivered by Pony Express, and the ZooGue covers like my iPhone covers that will be free for a time are still listed as "Coming Soon", so I got impatient and ordered this one:

It was $9.95 when I ordered it Saturday, now it's up to $12.95.  (From the reviews it started at $5.)  I ordered green because it was one of the colors that had free Prime shipping - for some reason not all the colors do.  

It came today - I like it.  Nice & slim, pretty shade of lime/grass green, auto wake/sleep works well, my only concern is how well it'll hold up over time.  It seems like it could get a little ragged around the edges, but I might just be borrowing trouble, and I do have the Vera Bradley sleeve to put it in in my purse where it would take the most abuse.  Time will tell.  I'm relieved to have something protective on it!  
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:57:19 pm by Meemo »
    em

Offline maries

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 05:08:32 am »
    Sooo, I got tired of waiting for the back-only cover, which apparently is being delivered by Pony Express, and the ZooGue covers like my iPhone covers that will be free for a time are still listed as "Coming Soon", so I got impatient and ordered this one:

It was $9.95 when I ordered it Saturday, now it's up to $12.95.  (From the reviews it started at $5.)  I ordered green because it was one of the colors that had free Prime shipping - for some reason not all the colors do.  

It came today - I like it.  Nice & slim, pretty shade of lime/grass green, auto wake/sleep works well, my only concern is how well it'll hold up over time.  It seems like it could get a little ragged around the edges, but I might just be borrowing trouble, and I do have the Vera Bradley sleeve to put it in in my purse where it would take the most abuse.  Time will tell.  I'm relieved to have something protective on it!  

At that price, you could get different colors and trade off.    I just ordered this one in black for the mini I bought my husband so glad to read your comments on this.    I am eyeing up the red one for me for when I get myself a mini!   ;D    I like the green too though.   It reminds me of the green Amazon used for the KK covers.     I also like the pink!    Maybe the price will go down again and I will get all 3!   

Offline maries

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 05:16:10 am »
    Any other accessories that are must haves?   I bought my husband a mini while secretly hoping he hates it and gives it to me!   :-[   I originally bought him the Nexus 7 but since he uses an iphone I thought he would be more comfortable with the mini plus he can use the same apps.   All that decreases the liklihood of me adopting it though.   :(

I ordered a cover and made note of the comment above to look for a 12w charger.   I ordered the fuzzy cleaner and also a How To book.  I don't know if he would use a separate keyboard enough to spend a lot on one at this time.

Anything else?    Do I need a screen protector?  Stylus?   If so, any brands you would recommend?   Thanks.

Marie

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:10 am »
    I do find a stylus handy for certain apps - I started with a pack of 3, then after the grandkids got hold of them I ordered a pack of 10!  It's nice to have one in my purse, one by the bed, etc. 

I haven't used a screen protector, it depends on who you might have playing with it (kids can be rough on screens).  You might want an extra lightning cable, nice to have for charging in the car or in another room. 
    em

KBoards.com

• Advertisement