Kindle Forum banner

Best Overall Song of Ice and Fire Character? POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JLaw 
#1 ·
Who is your best character in all the books?

When I started the first book, I easily picked Jon as my favourite, but I've since met other characters I love as well.

For now Barristan Selmy is my best. One of my friends, (who, I am proud to say, I infected with the ASOIAF fever) describes him as 'totally bad*ss' and I agree.

I have a thing for Arthur Dayne, even though he is dead.

Of course I love Tyrion, who doesn't?

I have a crush on Rhaegar Targaryen

The Night's Watch would totally not be the same without Dolorous Edd (I love that guy!)

#2 ·
It was Jon and Danerys.  But Daenerys really got on my nerves in ADWD.  I don't really care for her anymore.  Jon remains at the top of my list.  Tyrion, of course, as well, though occasionally I want to smack him.  I always liked Robb and Catelyn too...

I admire Selmy, but I'm weary of him.  He's loyal to Dany simply because she's a Targaryen - even though we not only haven't seen that she'd be a capable ruler, but we've seen plenty of very incompetent ruling by her.  But Selmy wants her back in Westeros anyway.  Surely Westeros has seen enough incompetence on the Iron Throne.  I mentioned this in the regular book klub discussions here, but these dynasties bother me on an ethical level.  Dany has no rightful claims to the Seven Kingdoms beyond that her ancestors ruled there.  But they conquered the Seven Kingdoms by force.  Why be shocked that someone took their throne away by force?  Robert was no more the Usurper than the first Targaryen King was.  I don't think Dany has any rights to the Iron Throne - and Selmy's blind belief that she does is grating.  :)

#3 ·
It's a toss up between Jon and Sansa for me. I'm most invested in their futures / resolution of their stories, including the well-deserved payback for their enemies.

Barristan Selmy's self-righteousness gets on my nerves. He recognized Robert for what he was, yet he supposedly stood by all those years ago and let Aerys do whatever he wanted and seems ready to let Danaerys do the same. Admittedly, she's avoided the truth about her father but I would have thought Selmy 2.0 wouldn't let the past cloud his judgment any more. 

#4 ·
Lisa J. Yarde said:
It's a toss up between Jon and Sansa for me. I'm most invested in their futures / resolution of their stories, including the well-deserved payback for their enemies.

Barristan Selmy's self-righteousness gets on my nerves. He recognized Robert for what he was, yet he supposedly stood by all those years ago and let Aerys do whatever he wanted and seems ready to let Danaerys do the same. Admittedly, she's avoided the truth about her father but I would have thought Selmy 2.0 wouldn't let the past cloud his judgment any more.
That's exactly what I was trying to say about Selmy!

Sansa is an interesting choice. A lot of people hate her because she betrayed her family in GOT. I never hated her and with the later book she is definitely beginning to grow as a woman. I do wonder how she will turn out - and hopefully she will play a big role in avenging her family against the Lannisters (and Littlefinger.)

#5 ·
You're both right of course.

I was too impressed with his legendary fighting skills and his undercover days as Arstan Whitebeard to think clearly about everything else.

Dany has more right to the throne of old Valyria than she has to that of Westeros but the Targaryens, more than conquerors were a unifying factor for the kingdoms, which is what she will (may) be, especially now with the divisions everywhere.

I believe Sansa still has a very important role to play, there's a prophesy that alludes to that, I think. I wish she would smarten up faster though.

#6 ·
Tyrion for sure. Dude is a pint sized James Bond :) I love how he feels compelled to be a smartass, even though he KNOWS it will get him into trouble. My other fav is Arya, followed closely by Asha. Women who ACT, follow through, and are not held up by social conventions. Brienne tries too hard to emulate an ideal she will never be given and Dany just chases a dream handed to her by someone else.

#8 ·
I loved Gendry/Edric storm, mostly because I thought Robert Baratheon was such an amazing character, and I wanted so bad to see something come of his sons.

Robb Stark was awesome.. RIP

I really came to love Jaime too after his transformation, which was sick becuase I hated him so much for so long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.