Author Topic: Health  (Read 1577 times)  

Offline maggie

• View Profile
Health
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:58:33 am »
Has the Kindle caused any neurological problems? I'm worried that the "jump" or "flash" that occurs each time you turn a page could trigger a seizure in those with seizure disorders ???

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    Re: Health
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:07:07 am »
    I would wager it is unlikely. The thing has been out almost a year, and I haven't seen one reported case about anything like that. People do occasionally say the flashing gives them a headache, but I haven't seen that too often.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline colleen

• Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:16:02 am »
    Some people refer to the refresh on the page turning as a "flash" and I think that's rather misleading.  It does not get suddenly brighter or anything like that (which to me is what the word flash implies).  It really sort of dims out and then changes.  It's not irritating to my eyes in the slightest.

If it does bother you, I'd suggest timing a nice refreshing eye blink with your page turn button hit.  By the time you open your eyes your page will be waiting for you!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
    It's not a flicker like a TV or computer screen, just a single flash, so probably wouldn't be a problem.  Also, since it's not back lit so it's not like it's really a flash, just a quick picture change.  But' I'd guess it's something the amazon people checked out so ask them if you're concerned.  Or go to 'see a kindle in your city' and find someone near you.  See one in the flesh and figure out if it bothers you.

I don't think you'll have any problems. . . good luck.
    (I think Colleen's got it right: do a slow blink as the screen changes. . .)

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Sailor

• California
    • Babe of the Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:21 am »
    The syndrom you are discribing is caused by a constant/continuing flashing such as video games or strobe light effects.  When I play those games with hubby, boy am I a bit 'whacky' feeling afterwards and I can't play long.  But an occasional page turner on Kindle really shouldn't have any impact on setting off any triggers...in my opinion..since there isn't any backlighting on the screen.  There could always be that super sensitive person out there that 'anything' can trigger something off though.  You can always try to remember to do a blink at the time you change the page and you should have no problem if you think this could be a trigger for you.
    That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
    It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:09:08 pm »
    I have noticed no discomfort or increase in eye strain... it has been the oposite for me. So far my reading experience on the Kindle with no name has been most enjoyable. The computer screen on the other hand is beginning to give me a headache!  :-\

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:08:57 pm »
    Angela:

You should name your K......Kwinn for Kindle with no name.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:00:26 am »
    Angela:

Now that's a great suggestion!

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:46:18 pm »
    Angela:

Lucky that is an excellent suggestion! It also lends itself to not being gender specific... I am liking it! I think I will mull it over for a while and get back to you that  :-\

I have to go for now... too much time at the computer the last 2-3 days and my neck and shoulder need a break! See everyone later!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement