Author Topic: BIG books  (Read 9030 times)  

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
Re: BIG books
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 06:28:12 pm »
Yes, I feel exactly that way. I feel I'm saying Goodbye to a friend. With some big books, I deliberately allow myself only so many pages per day so that our time together is longer! Nuts, I know! But that's me!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 06:30:19 pm »
    Youre a crackup.

Offline Selcien

• Indiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 06:30:28 pm »
    Jeff,

I guess that I should have mentioned that I did find Anthem, it seems that everybody has it.

As far as Mark Twain goes, it's really a matter of language. With The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, at least the beginning of it (I only read a little), his writing is meant to be that of the character, and I can't stand it. I know what he was doing but the result is reading something that's poorly written, in my opinion of course.

Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, outside of trying to figure out where the story is supposed to start, has the main character running into characters that speak a very old language, might as well be trying to read Shakespeare.

I also tried reading a story called 1601 but I was never able to figure out where the story starts, or even if the story was there, what little I did read was a story about the story, not interesting...

I did take a peek at The Fountainhead (using Amazon's "Look Inside" feature) and it's very readable for me.

Basically, if the author uses a modernish writing style than it's worth a shot. I'll be reading samples first so no harm can possibly be done.

Oh, and good to know about your book, if I get it then I'll get the whole thing at once. I'm going to go ahead and get the sample for your book (and for The Pillars of the Earth), as I'm getting a bit impatient to find out whether I'd like them (putting them off has made me really curious to try them).
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:32:59 pm by Selcien »

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »
    Just to remind you, The Treasure of la Malinche has a lot of rough language in it. When I finished it I was afraid that Id unintentionally written a mans book, but the women in my life said that they liked it. Im not sure if they were just being nice because so far only men have bought it.

JH

Offline Selcien

• Indiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
    Just for the record, I'm male. My icon, if that is what threw you off, will change to match whatever I happen to be reading at the time. I'm reading The Mermaid Chair so I have an icon of The Mermaid Chair. I already have an icon waiting for when I start The Graveyard Book.

Oh, before I go any further. Jade green eyes. Very nice touch. :)

I didn't bother reading even half of the sample as I didn't need to (I start from the beginning of a book so the more of a sample that I read the more I have to re-read). It's very well written and the character interactions have brought smiles, I see no reason why I won't enjoy your book.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:39 pm »
    Just for the record, I'm male. My icon, if that is what threw you off, will change to match whatever I happen to be reading at the time. I'm reading The Mermaid Chair so I have an icon of The Mermaid Chair. I already have an icon waiting for when I start The Graveyard Book.

Oh, before I go any further. Jade green eyes. Very nice touch. :)

I didn't bother reading even half of the sample as I didn't need to (I start from the beginning of a book so the more of a sample that I read the more I have to re-read). It's very well written and the character interactions have brought smiles, I see no reason why I won't enjoy your book.

My face is red.  :-[ I should have looked at your profile instead of relying on the avatar.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Selcien

• Indiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »
    It wouldn't have done any good as I had neglected that portion of my profile until I read your post. Oh well, got it fixed now. :)

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:14 pm »
    I won't make that mistake again, I hope.  ::)

Jeff

Offline Sailor

• California
    • Babe of the Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: November 05, 2008, 08:11:23 am »
    I love all books and especially big books that I can get totally lost in for days.  I would be more inclined to purchase more of them because the Kindle will make holding, storing and carrying them easier now.  Also, I love to lay in bed and read before falling asleep and I want to lay on my back and hold a book above me, or slightly at my side with one hand.  Big books have to be propped up against pillows, my cats, hubby...anything I can find to give me the right highth...then to hold the pages open...yikes!!!  The Kindle will help with all of that.  The Harry Potter series was a pain to read in bed as the volumes continued to get bigger and bigger...LOL, I haven't read the last book, just started watching the movies as they came out instead.  Kindle would have helped me there.  I tend to look for bigger books because if they are good, I can be lost in the content for a long time, vs a movie that is over in a few hours. And I would buy from an unknown, with Kindle you get to 'test the waters' and see if you like the style, I think that is totally awesome.  BTW...Kenny will be arriving today or tomorrow USPS...can hardly wait!!!
    That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
    It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:50 am »
    Sailor,

Another good reason for JK to let us have Harry on Kindle. If you haven't noticed, they are doing a pitiful job with the later movies. With the last movie, if I had not read the book I would have been at a total loss as to the plot. You MUST read the last book or else you just won't get the movie, I suspect. In a lot of ways, Book 7 was one of the best. "I laughed, I cried........." hehehe

Offline Sailor

• California
    • Babe of the Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
    Yeah LuckyRainbow...the movies were complicated if you didn't read the books.  The first movie I was explaining lots of things to hubby so he could understand more of the story...he got things after I explained them...after the second movie he thought "why bother", cause he didn't 'get it' without me explaining it to him...we lost interest in it.  We never did see the last of the Potter movies and he never read any of the books.  I will just wait for the series to get Kindle-ized and then I'll read it start to finish that way...Hope JK gets cooking on that brew for us.
    That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
    It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

Offline Sailor

• California
    • Babe of the Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:38 am »
    Jeff, thank you sooo much for the free book.  Now explain something since I am new here on the boards and to this ebook thing and authors and such.. and haven't recieved my 'Kinny' yet.  Did you write this book???  If so, this will be my first book to read that I actually...well 'virtually' know the author of a book!!!  If you didn't write it, thank you for the book also.  This will be the first book I read as soon as I can figure out how to get it off my computer and onto Kinny.  I guess there is software and a USB cable and it should be as simple as that.  I have the other 2 free books from amazon that I got before they took them down a few days ago, but I will read this one first.  So, since it has rough language will this give me a 'Sailor Mouth'...LOL

As for guessing how you knew the story...were you a publisist (sp) and read the book to see if it was good enough to submit to the general public?

I really like Mark Twain also, though I haven't read too many of his works thus far...but I LOVE Tom Sawyer again and again.  I LOVE Twain's 'wit'.  If you read Mark's works, a lot of people don't catch his funny enuendos (sp)...{{{we need a spell checker on here}}} and I love that about his works.  I have large unabridged leather volumes of his works but yet again, they are so heavy and combersome that I don't pull them out much.  Also, a couple of years ago I got to see the ACTUAL cabin where he wrote all of his stories at here in California.  It is so small.  Amazing how a great mind actually lived and walked in the forested area and cleared his head and thought of great literature.  Been to Calavaras too but didn't watch the frogs jump...too crowded with bikers every year.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:06:43 am by sailor »

Offline vg

• View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 09:17:41 am »
    I prefer big books - the story and characters really have a chance to develop and I can lose myself in a story that won't be neatly wrapped up in a few hundred pages.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 09:20:47 am »
    Im reluctant to say "Hi Sailor", especially since your profile omits your gender so...

Yes, I wrote the book. It has no copy protection so you can read it on your computer before your Kindle arrives. Just install the Mobipocket reader:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/default.asp?Language=en

Im not sure if I understand your question about how did I know if it was good enough to submit but Ill take a shot. I know what I like to read and I enjoyed writing The Treasure of La Malinche so it seemed logical that people who liked the same books that I like would like my book. Hows that for a confusing sentence?

Those bikers have no respect for frogs, do they?

Thanks for trying my book and please tell me what you think.

Jeff

Offline Sailor

• California
    • Babe of the Voyage
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: November 05, 2008, 09:39:14 am »
    This is a little off topic but Ive been puzzled for years. In about 1989 my wife read Pillars of the Earth and gave it to me when she was finished. I read about a chapter and told her that Id read it. She said that wasnt possible because it was just published. I then proceeded to tell her the whole story line. Anybody know how that might be possible?

Jeff

Jeff,  this was what I was trying to answer to your post that I didn't make clear...and your answer was good...LOL  This is my answer to your above question as I love mind-bogglers:  As for guessing how you knew the story...were you a publisist (sp) and read the book to see if it was good enough to submit to the general public?

And, I will go to the mobipocket site and download the software, I guess I need it for other books from other sites from what people are talking about.

And, I guess you don't say "Hi Sailor" to just anyone do you...LOL

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 09:50:55 am »
    Sailor,

To get books onto Kindle from your computer does not require any software, only the USB cable. Or you can e-mail the file to your Kindle, this works really well and although Amazon says they will charge you $.10, no one reports ever being charged.

LR

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #66 on: November 05, 2008, 10:05:26 am »
    Sailor,

I wasnt very clear in my previous post. You only need the Mobipocket reader to read my book BEFORE your Kindle arrives.

JH

KBoards.com

• Advertisement