Kindle Forum banner

Week 4: Chapters 6 & 7

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Eltanin Publishing 
#1 ·
I've got to do some other things this morning, and will post some discussion thoughts later today. But I wanted to get this thread started. Anyone else want to start? Anyone have first-hand opinions about the 2009 flu pandemic that never was? I've got a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk that is left over from then. Did the media/government/someone overhype it and cause unnecessary worry? Or was it good practice for some future pandemic? I know my workplace began discussing more seriously what would happen in a pandemic, and how they'd keep things running (some people working from home, etc.).

#3 ·
I remember all the hype about that 'flu that never materialized.  I don't usually get flu shots and people would look at me like I was a leper if I said I hadn't had one. :eek:  I also very very very rarely get sick with more than a cold (knock wood). 

I'm still in chapter 7 which I'm finding very interesting -- about Bayesian probability theory.

#4 ·
I've never gotten a flu shot, either. I know I probably should. My mother has an egg allergy, and so never got a flu shot, and although I don't have an egg allergy, I guess her habits trickled down. I heard on the news that scientists feel this year's shot is a good match for the flu (as Silver said, the virus mutates each year, so they have to guess what it's going to do and make a vaccine ahead of time, so I guess it's not always a good match).

So, which is worse - a "false alarm" (predicting a worse disease outbreak than what actually happens), or the opposite - failing to predict a really bad outbreak? Of course Silver wants a more accurate prediction - getting it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.