Author Topic: Week 4: Chapters 6 & 7  (Read 2841 times)  

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
Week 4: Chapters 6 & 7
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:59 am »
I've got to do some other things this morning, and will post some discussion thoughts later today. But I wanted to get this thread started. Anyone else want to start? Anyone have first-hand opinions about the 2009 flu pandemic that never was? I've got a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk that is left over from then. Did the media/government/someone overhype it and cause unnecessary worry? Or was it good practice for some future pandemic? I know my workplace began discussing more seriously what would happen in a pandemic, and how they'd keep things running (some people working from home, etc.).

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    Re: Week 4: Chapters 6 & 7
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:31:56 am »
    Sorry, I got sidetracked with the new Stephanie Plum, Michael Connelly, and Harry Dresden novels! I'll catch up tomorrow and be back soon :)
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »
    I remember all the hype about that 'flu that never materialized.  I don't usually get flu shots and people would look at me like I was a leper if I said I hadn't had one. :o  I also very very very rarely get sick with more than a cold (knock wood).   

I'm still in chapter 7 which I'm finding very interesting -- about Bayesian probability theory.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
    • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
      • View Profile
      • Eltanin Publishing
    « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:27:14 am »
    I've never gotten a flu shot, either. I know I probably should. My mother has an egg allergy, and so never got a flu shot, and although I don't have an egg allergy, I guess her habits trickled down. I heard on the news that scientists feel this year's shot is a good match for the flu (as Silver said, the virus mutates each year, so they have to guess what it's going to do and make a vaccine ahead of time, so I guess it's not always a good match).

So, which is worse - a "false alarm" (predicting a worse disease outbreak than what actually happens), or the opposite - failing to predict a really bad outbreak? Of course Silver wants a more accurate prediction - getting it right.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement