Author Topic: Thank You Book Goodies  (Read 5404 times)  

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Thank You Book Goodies
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
On January 20, 2016, Rarity from the Hollow, an adult literary science fiction novel was awarded a second Gold Medal. The first one was awarded by Awesome Indies on Novemer 6, 2015. I've shared this link before. This second one was awarded by Reader's Favorite:

https://readersfavorite.com/book-review/rarity-from-the-hollow

The novel is now in the process of republication and progress has been made on the second edition. A new cover is now on a new Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-Hollow-Robert-Eggleton-ebook/dp/B017REIA44/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= .

The most recent book review was published yesterday on Rebbie Reviews (excerpt):

"...The plot is really complex and in some places very dark and it keeps you wanting to turn pages, I've found myself almost missing bus stops and coming close to hypothermia in the bath tub when reading this book because I was promising myself I'd stop at the next chapter and then carrying on regardless...." https://rebbiereviews.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/rarity-from-the-hollow-robert-eggleton/

Neither of the above reviews are on Amazon or Goodreads as not all book reviewers / critics of the novel have been participants in programs that are affiliated with book sales. There is a link at the bottom of the author interview on the Rebbie Reviews blog that leads to an earlier book review of Rarity from the Hollow that you won't find on sales sites, as well. This one is the only book review to mention that Metallica is the feature band in the story, and is a fun book review to read, written by a long-standing and prominent book critic of science fiction novels, Barry Hunter.

On 1-17-16, a book reviewer in the U.K. joined the movement to introduce Lacy Dawn Adventures  to the world by posting a Spotlight on Rarity from the Hollow: http://jeanzbookreadnreview.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/promotional-spotlight-rarity-from.html

On 1-19-16, a book reviewer in the U.S. became the most recent member of the team by posting an absolutely beautiful spotlight with a brief synopsis of the novel: http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2016/01/spotlight-post-rarity-from-hollow-by.html

On 1-22-16 an Affiliate of Fantasy Fan Federation, an international organization that has been around since the 1940s and that holds an annual fantasy fiction contest, posted his review of Rarity from the Hollow on Amazon (excerpt):

"...Rarity From the Hollow begins with some rough stuff, hard to read, involving child neglect and child abuse. But it soon turns the corner to satire, parody, and farce, partaking a little of the whimsical and nonsensical humor of Roger Zelazny or even Ron Goulart...."

Also on 1-22-16, a poem based on the novel, "Our Real Warmth" SF Version, won 1st Place, Poetry, in the international Willy Con and WSC SF & F Club annual competition: http://wildcat.wsc.edu/clubs/willycon/zine/

Later today, a new and very detailed author interview is supposed to be published on a blog, the newest member of the movement to introduce Lacy Dawn Adventures to the world. I'll update you about this after it is released. I've updated the Lacy Dawn Adventures website some, but it needs a lot more work: http://www.lacydawnadventures.com The Lacy Dawn Adventures Facebook page stays current, but only shows the most recent entries: https://www.facebook.com/Lacy-Dawn-Adventures-573354432693864/?ref=hl

If someone wants to help with this project, please contact me by messaging me on Facebook or by my personal email, a direct link is on the website. If you remember, author proceeds have been donated to child abuse prevention, so it's a good cause.

Oh, and Stoners Against Child Abuse, a related project, has had a bunch of tweets in support of the concept of designating tax revenue from the legalization of marijuana sales to child abuse prevention as states enact legislation -- likes and retweets. The designation of Lottery revenue to senior services has been highly successful and it would be a natural fit for marijuana taxes to go to child abuse prevention. A wild book review of Rarity from the Hollow with a comment section to show your support is at: https://ghbooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/rarity-from-the-hollow-is-rare-indeed/ More significantly, if you and your friends would write to state legislators in your home states, this grassroots concept will grow.

Thanks for reading this long post. Take care.   

Ebook Giveaway & Interview: Robert Eggleton, Author of Rarity From The Hollow

For the next couple of weeks, you are eligible to enter a raffle to win a free copy of Rarity from the Hollow -- an adult literary science fiction novel, not for the prudish, faint of heart or easily offended. Just go to the site to enter: http://dabofdarkness.com/2015/12/30/ebook-giveaway-interview-robert-eggleton-author-of-rarity-from-the-hollow/

Review Excerpt: "...Rarity from the Hollow is detailed, dark and beautifully written by a competent writer who injects plenty of satire, sci-fi and fantasy elements into a work of thought-provoking and meaningful adult/fantasy fiction at its very best...."                                            -- http://walkerputsche.wordpress.com/

Several Other Review Excerpts are on the Lacy Dawn Adventures on Facebook Page

Purchase link if you don't win:  http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-from-the-Hollow-ebook/dp/B007JDI508

Author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse in West Virginia.

Review by Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine: "Imagine Wizard of Oz and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy smashed together and taking place in a hollow in the hills of West Virginia. Now you have an idea of what to expect when you sit down to read Rarity From the Hollow....
...unabashed, unashamed exploration of the life of young Lacy Dawn, as she learns that she is the savior of the universe. The naked, genderless android, Dot-com... Add her abusive father, her weak-willed mother, a sexually-abused ghost for a best friend...trees that talk to her, a dog that can communicate telepathically with cockroaches and so much more. There is so much to this story, and its writing is so unblinkingly honest...spares us nothing...her father beating her and her mother, the emotions...the dark creeping insanity that eats away at her Iraq-veteran father, and the life in general of people too poor, too uneducated to escape. In part, it is a grueling exposition of what children endure when ...abused. ...the only way...to escape is to learn that she is the savior... strong, tough, smart--all those attributes that any child should have--and she reminds us that children are survivors, adaptive and optimistic.

But don't think you're going to be reading something harsh and brutal and tragic. This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, satiric of almost everything it touches upon...The characters from the hollow and from the planet Shptiludrp (the Mall of the Universe) are funny almost to the point of tears. ...It's absolutely fantastic...."

Sample Chapter, Cozy in Cardboard:

Inside her first clubhouse, Lacy Dawn glanced over fifth grade spelling words for tomorrow's quiz at school. She already knew all the words in the textbook and most others in any human language.

Nothing's more important than an education.

The clubhouse was a cardboard box in the front yard that her grandmother's new refrigerator had occupied until an hour before. Her father brought it home for her to play in.

The nicest thing he's ever done.

Faith lay beside her with a hand over the words and split fingers to cheat as they were called off. She lived in the next house up the hollow. Every other Wednesday for the last two months, the supervised child psychologist came to their school, pulled her out of class, and evaluated suspected learning disabilities. Lacy Dawn underlined a word with a fingernail.

All she needs is a little motivation.

Before they had crawled in, Lacy Dawn tapped the upper corner of the box with a flashlight and proclaimed, "The place of all things possible -- especially you passing the fifth grade so we'll be together in the sixth."

Please concentrate, Faith. Try this one.

"Armadillo."

"A, R, M, ... A ... D, I, L, D, O," Faith demonstrated her intellect.

"That's weak. This is a bonus word so you'll get extra points. Come on."

Lacy Dawn nodded and looked for a new word.

I'll trick her by going out of order -- a word she can't turn into another punch line.

"Don't talk about it and the image will go away. Let's get back to studying," Lacy Dawn said.

My mommy don't like sex. It's just her job and she told me so.

Faith turned her open spelling book over, which saved its page, and rolled onto her side. Lacy Dawn did the same and snuggled her back against the paper wall. Face to face -- a foot of smoothness between -- they took a break. The outside was outside.
At their parents' insistence, each wore play clothing -- unisex hand-me-downs that didn't fit as well as school clothing. They'd been careful not to get muddy before crawling into the box. They'd not played in the creek and both were cleaner than the usual evening. The clubhouse floor remained an open invitation to anybody who had the opportunity to consider relief from daily stressors.

"How'd you get so smart, Lacy Dawn? Your parents are dumb asses just like mine."

"You ain't no dumb ass and you're going to pass the fifth grade."

"Big deal -- I'm still fat and ugly," Faith said.

"I'm doing the best I can. I figure by the time I turn eleven I can fix that too. For now, just concentrate on passing and don't become special education. I need you. You're my best friend."

"Ain't no other girls our age close in the hollow. That's the only reason you like me. Watch out. There's a pincher bug crawling in."

Lacy Dawn sat almost upright because there was not quite enough headroom in the refrigerator box. She scooted the bug out the opening. (delete here for word count) Faith watched the bug attempt re-entry, picked it up, and threw it a yard away into the grass. It didn't get hurt. Lacy Dawn smiled her approval. The new clubhouse was a sacred place where nothing was supposed to hurt.

"Daddy said I can use the tarp whenever he finishes the overhaul on the car in the driveway. That way, our clubhouse will last a long time," Lacy Dawn said.

"Chewy, chewy tootsie roll. Everything in this hollow rots, especially the people. You know that."

"We ain't rotten," Lacy Dawn gestured with open palms. "There are a lot of good things here -- like all the beautiful flowers. Just focus on your spelling and I'll fix everything else. This time I want a 100% and a good letter to your mommy."

"She won't read it," Faith said.

"Yes she will. She loves you and it'll make her feel good. Besides, she has to or the teacher will call Welfare. Your daddy would be investigated -- unless you do decide to become special education. That's how parents get out of it. The kid lets them off the hook by deciding to become a SPED. Then there ain't nothing Welfare can do about it because the kid is the problem and not the parents."

"I ain't got no problems," Faith said.

"Then pass this spelling test."

"I thought if I messed up long enough, eventually somebody would help me out. I just need a place to live where people don't argue all the time. That ain't much."

"Maybe you are a SPED. There's always an argument in a family. Pass the test you retard," Lacy Dawn opened her spelling book.
Faith flipped her book over too, rolled onto her stomach and looked at the spelling words. Lacy Dawn handed her the flashlight because it was getting dark and grinned when Faith's lips started moving as she memorized. Faith noticed and clamped her lips shut between thumb and index finger.

This is boring. I learned all these words last year.

"Don't use up the batteries or Daddy will know I took it," Lacy Dawn said.

"Alright -- I'll pass the quiz, but just 'cause you told me to. This is a gamble and you'd better come through if it backfires. Ain't nothing wrong with being a SPED. The work is easier and the teacher lets you do puzzles."

"You're my best friend," Lacy Dawn closed the book.

They rolled back on their sides to enjoy the smoothness. The cricket chorus echoed throughout the hollow and the frogs peeped. An ant attempted entry but changed its direction before either rescued it. Unnoticed, Lacy Dawn's father threw the tarp over the box and slid in the trouble light. It was still on and hot. The bulb burned Lacy Dawn's calf.

He didn't mean to hurt me -- the second nicest thing he's ever done.

"Test?" Lacy Dawn announced with the better light, and called off, "Poverty."

"I love you," Faith responded.

"Me too, but spell the word."

"P is for poor. O is for oranges from the Salvation Army Christmas basket. V is for varicose veins that Mommy has from getting pregnant every year. E is for everybody messes up sometimes -- sorry. R is for I'm always right about everything except when you tell me I'm wrong -- like now. T is for it's too late for me to pass no matter what we do and Y is for you know it too."

"Faith, it's almost dark! Go home before your mommy worries," Lacy Dawn's mother yelled from the front porch and stepped back into the house to finish supper. The engine of the VW in the driveway cranked but wouldn't start. It turned slower as its battery died, too.
Faith slid out of the box with her spelling book in-hand. She farted from the effort. A clean breeze away, she squished a mosquito that had landed on her elbow and watched Lacy Dawn hold her breath as she scooted out of the clubhouse, pinching her nose with fingers of one hand, holding the trouble light with the other, and pushing her spelling book forward with her knees. The moon was almost full. There would be plenty of light to watch Faith walk up the gravel road. Outside the clubhouse, they stood face to face and ready to hug. It lasted a lightning bug statement until adult intrusion.

"Give it back. This thing won't start," Lacy Dawn's father grabbed the trouble light out of her hand and walked away.

"All we ever have is beans for supper. Sorry about the fart."

"Don't complain. Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair. You can get lots of motion but you ain't going anywhere," Lacy Dawn said.

"Why didn't you tell me that last year?" Faith asked. "I've wasted a lot of time."

"I just now figured it out. Sorry."

"Some savior you are. I put my whole life in your hands. I'll pass tomorrow's spelling quiz and everything. But you, my best friend who's supposed to fix the world just now tell me that complaining won't work and will probably get me switched."

"You're complaining again."

"Oh yeah," Faith said.

"Before you go home, I need to tell you something."

To avoid Lacy Dawn's father working in the driveway, Faith slid down the bank to the dirt road. Her butt became too muddy to reenter the clubhouse regardless of need. Lacy Dawn stayed in the yard, pulled the tarp taut over the cardboard, and waited for Faith to respond.

"I don't need no more encouragement. I'll pass the spelling quiz tomorrow just for you, but I may miss armadillo for fun. Our teacher deserves it," Faith said.

"That joke's too childish. She won't laugh. Besides, dildos are serious business since she ain't got no husband no more. Make 100%. That's what I want."

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Faith took a step up the road.

"Wait. I want to tell you something. I've got another best friend. That's how I got so smart. He teaches me stuff."

"A boy? You've got a boyfriend?"

"Not exactly," Lacy Dawn put a finger over her lips to silence Faith. Her father was hooking up a battery charger. She slid down the bank, too.

He probably couldn't hear us, but why take the chance.

A minute later, hand in hand, they walked the road toward Faith's house.

"Did you let him see your panties?" Faith asked.

"No. I ain't got no good pair. Besides, he don't like me that way. He's like a friend who's a teacher -- not a boyfriend. I just wanted you to know that I get extra help learning stuff."

"Where's he live?"

Lacy Dawn pointed to the sky with her free hand.

"Jesus is everybody's friend," Faith said.

"It ain't Jesus, you moron," Lacy Dawn turned around to walk home. "His name's DotCom and...."

Her mother watched from the middle of the road until both children were safe.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:51:38 PM by robert eggleton »
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures
Adult Social Science Fiction

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1F779T

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Rarity from the Hollow: book review excerpt and sample
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:19 AM »

Welcome to KindleBoards, and congratulations on the book!  :)

This is just a friendly reminder that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Tragedy and Satire: Rarity from the Hollow SF/F
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
This is self promotion and I think that I'm in the right place.  If not, I apologize and please let me know.   
Three short Lacy Dawn Adventures have been published, two in print mags, and the following is the first novel.  It is available in print, ebook, and hardback preorder.
Thanks

RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW
ROBERT EGGELTON
411 Pages
Science Fiction/Fantasy
ISBN: 1907133062 / ISBN-13: 9781907133060
Dog Horn Publishing, Leeds, England

Author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse in West Virginia.

Review by Adicus Ryan Garton (excerpt), Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine

“Imagine Wizard of Oz and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy smashed together and taking place in a hollow in the hills of West Virginia. Now you have an idea of what to expect when you sit down to read Rarity From the Hollow….”

…unabashed, unashamed exploration of the life of young Lacy Dawn, as she learns that she is the savior of the universe. The naked, genderless android, Dot-com… Add her abusive father, her weak-willed mother, a sexually-abused ghost for a best friend…trees that talk to her, a dog that can communicate telepathically with cockroaches and so much more.

There is so much to this story, and its writing is so unblinkingly honest…spares us nothing…her father beating her and her mother, the emotions…the dark creeping insanity that eats away at her Iraq-veteran father, and the life in general of people too poor, too uneducated to escape.

In part, it is a grueling exposition of what children endure when …abused. …the only way…to escape is to learn that she is the savior… strong, tough, smart—all those attributes that any child should have—and she reminds us that children are survivors, adaptive and optimistic.

But don't think you're going to be reading something harsh and brutal and tragic. This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, satiric of almost everything it touches upon…The characters from the hollow and from the planet Shptiludrp (the Mall of the Universe) are funny almost to the point of tears.

...It's absolutely fantastic…."

First Chapter:
Cozy in Cardboard

Inside her first clubhouse, Lacy Dawn glanced over fifth grade spelling words for tomorrow’s quiz at school. She already knew all the words in the textbook and most others in any human language.

Nothing’s more important than an education.

The clubhouse was a cardboard box in the front yard that her grandmother's new refrigerator had occupied until an hour before. Her father brought it home for her to play in.

The nicest thing he's ever done.

Faith lay beside her with a hand over the words and split fingers to cheat as they were called off. She lived in the next house up the hollow. Every other Wednesday for the last two months, the supervised child psychologist came to their school, pulled her out of class, and evaluated suspected learning disabilities. Lacy Dawn underlined a word with a fingernail.

All she needs is a little motivation.

Before they had crawled in, Lacy Dawn tapped the upper corner of the box with a flashlight and proclaimed, "The place of all things possible -- especially you passing the fifth grade so we'll be together in the sixth."

Please concentrate, Faith. Try this one.

"Armadillo."

"A, R, M, … A … D, I, L, D, O," Faith demonstrated her intellect.

"That's weak. This is a bonus word so you’ll get extra points. Come on."

Lacy Dawn nodded and looked for a new word.

I’ll trick her by going out of order – a word she can't turn into another punch line.

“Don’t talk about it and the image will go away. Let’s get back to studying,” Lacy Dawn said.

My mommy don't like sex. It's just her job and she told me so.

Faith turned her open spelling book over, which saved its page, and rolled onto her side. Lacy Dawn did the same and snuggled her back against the paper wall. Face to face -- a foot of smoothness between -- they took a break. The outside was outside.

At their parents’ insistence, each wore play clothing -- unisex hand-me-downs that didn’t fit as well as school clothing. They’d been careful not to get muddy before crawling into the box. They’d not played in the creek and both were cleaner than the usual evening. The clubhouse floor remained an open invitation to anybody who had the opportunity to consider relief from daily stressors.

"How'd you get so smart, Lacy Dawn? Your parents are dumb *sses just like mine."

"You ain't no dumb *ss and you're going to pass the fifth grade."

"Big deal -- I'm still fat and ugly," Faith said.

"I'm doing the best I can. I figure by the time I turn eleven I can fix that too. For now, just concentrate on passing and don't become special education. I need you. You're my best friend."

"Ain't no other girls our age close in the hollow. That's the only reason you like me. Watch out. There's a pincher bug crawling in."

Lacy Dawn sat almost upright because there was not quite enough headroom in the refrigerator box. She scooted the bug out the opening. (delete here for word count) Faith watched the bug attempt re-entry, picked it up, and threw it a yard away into the grass. It didn't get hurt. Lacy Dawn smiled her approval. The new clubhouse was a sacred place where nothing was supposed to hurt.

"Daddy said I can use the tarp whenever he finishes the overhaul on the car in the driveway. That way, our clubhouse will last a long time," Lacy Dawn said.

"Chewy, chewy tootsie roll. Everything in this hollow rots, especially the people. You know that."

"We ain't rotten,” Lacy Dawn gestured with open palms. “There are a lot of good things here -- like all the beautiful flowers. Just focus on your spelling and I'll fix everything else. This time I want a 100% and a good letter to your mommy."

"She won't read it," Faith said.

"Yes she will. She loves you and it'll make her feel good. Besides, she has to or the teacher will call Welfare. Your daddy would be investigated -- unless you do decide to become special education. That's how parents get out of it. The kid lets them off the hook by deciding to become a SPED. Then there ain't nothing Welfare can do about it because the kid is the problem and not the parents."

"I ain't got no problems," Faith said.

"Then pass this spelling test."

"I thought if I messed up long enough, eventually somebody would help me out. I just need a place to live where people don't argue all the time. That ain't much."

"Maybe you are a SPED. There's always an argument in a family. Pass the test you retard," Lacy Dawn opened her spelling book.

Faith flipped her book over too, rolled onto her stomach and looked at the spelling words. Lacy Dawn handed her the flashlight because it was getting dark and grinned when Faith’s lips started moving as she memorized. Faith noticed and clamped her lips shut between thumb and index finger.

This is boring. I learned all these words last year.

"Don't use up the batteries or Daddy will know I took it," Lacy Dawn said.

"Alright -- I'll pass the quiz, but just 'cause you told me to. This is a gamble and you'd better come through if it backfires. Ain't nothing wrong with being a SPED. The work is easier and the teacher lets you do puzzles."

"You're my best friend," Lacy Dawn closed the book.

They rolled back on their sides to enjoy the smoothness. The cricket chorus echoed throughout the hollow and the frogs peeped. An ant attempted entry but changed its direction before either rescued it. Unnoticed, Lacy Dawn's father threw the tarp over the box and slid in the trouble light. It was still on and hot. The bulb burned Lacy Dawn's calf.

He didn't mean to hurt me -- the second nicest thing he's ever done.

"Test?" Lacy Dawn announced with the better light, and called off, "Poverty."

"I love you," Faith responded.

"Me too, but spell the word."

"P is for poor. O is for oranges from the Salvation Army Christmas basket. V is for varicose veins that Mommy has from getting pregnant every year. E is for everybody messes up sometimes -- sorry. R is for I'm always right about everything except when you tell me I'm wrong -- like now. T is for it’s too late for me to pass no matter what we do and Y is for you know it too."

"Faith, it's almost dark! Go home before your mommy worries," Lacy Dawn's mother yelled from the front porch and stepped back into the house to finish supper. The engine of the VW in the driveway cranked but wouldn't start. It turned slower as its battery died, too.

Faith slid out of the box with her spelling book in-hand. She farted from the effort. A clean breeze away, she squished a mosquito that had landed on her elbow and watched Lacy Dawn hold her breath as she scooted out of the clubhouse, pinching her nose with fingers of one hand, holding the trouble light with the other, and pushing her spelling book forward with her knees. The moon was almost full. There would be plenty of light to watch Faith walk up the gravel road. Outside the clubhouse, they stood face to face and ready to hug. It lasted a lightning bug statement until adult intrusion.

"Give it back. This thing won't start," Lacy Dawn’s father grabbed the trouble light out of her hand and walked away.

"All we ever have is beans for supper. Sorry about the fart."

"Don't complain. Complaining is like sitting in a rocking chair. You can get lots of motion but you ain't going anywhere," Lacy Dawn said.

"Why didn't you tell me that last year?” Faith asked. “I've wasted a lot of time."

"I just now figured it out. Sorry."

"Some savior you are. I put my whole life in your hands. I'll pass tomorrow's spelling quiz and everything. But you, my best friend who’s supposed to fix the world just now tell me that complaining won't work and will probably get me switched."

"You're complaining again."

"Oh yeah," Faith said.

"Before you go home, I need to tell you something."

To avoid Lacy Dawn's father working in the driveway, Faith slid down the bank to the dirt road. Her butt became too muddy to reenter the clubhouse regardless of need. Lacy Dawn stayed in the yard, pulled the tarp taut over the cardboard, and waited for Faith to respond.

"I don't need no more encouragement. I'll pass the spelling quiz tomorrow just for you, but I may miss armadillo for fun. Our teacher deserves it," Faith said.

"That joke's too childish. She won't laugh. Besides, dildos are serious business since she ain't got no husband no more. Make 100%. That's what I want."

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Faith took a step up the road.

"Wait. I want to tell you something. I've got another best friend. That's how I got so smart. He teaches me stuff."

"A boy? You've got a boyfriend?"

"Not exactly," Lacy Dawn put a finger over her lips to silence Faith. Her father was hooking up a battery charger. She slid down the bank, too.

He probably couldn’t hear us, but why take the chance.

A minute later, hand in hand, they walked the road toward Faith's house.

"Did you let him see your panties?" Faith asked.

"No. I ain't got no good pair. Besides, he don't like me that way. He's like a friend who's a teacher -- not a boyfriend. I just wanted you to know that I get extra help learning stuff."

"Where's he live?"

Lacy Dawn pointed to the sky with her free hand.

"Jesus is everybody's friend," Faith said.

"It ain't Jesus, you moron," Lacy Dawn turned around to walk home. “His name’s DotCom and….”

Her mother watched from the middle of the road until both children were safe.

<merged with existing thread.  Please, one thread per book.  Bookmark this thread so that you can find it again, thanks!  --Betsy>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:37:37 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Shane Ward

• London
  • I write Sci-Fi
    • View Profile
    • Author: Shane Ward
Re: Tragedy and Satire: Rarity from the Hollow SF/F
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »
Thanks for the post, I'll be sure to check it out.

Shane

Download the Terminus X Novel
Click above image.

For more information visit: -
(www.shaneward.net)

Main Topic | Terminus X Topic | Facebook | Twitter

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Rarity from the Hollow: Most Recent Review
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
A new review of Rarity from the Hollow was published last night in the Electric Review.  http://electricrev.net/2014/08/12/a-universe-on-the-edge/

In Baryonline 103, Barry Hunter concluded his review: "... I can almost hear a blue grass version of Metallica while reading this. I expect to see more from Eggleton and Lacy Dawn. Good satire is hard to find and science fiction satire is even harder to find." Mia, a book reviewer for Coffee Times Romance concluded her review: "...But I was surprised that as I read more of the book, the people had a way of touching a part of you that I was not expecting at all. A good read for any lover of satire and science fiction. A well written book."  After stating that Rarity from the Hollow was one of the most unusual books that he had read in a long time, Darrell Bain, 2005 Fictionwise Ebook Author of the Year and 2007 Double Eppie Award Winner, closed his review with, "...You'll enjoy the ride with Lacy Dawn and friends and family, but don't expect the ride to be without bumps and enough food for thought to last you a long time. 

Similarly, author William DeVault said in his review, "...one of those strange and exciting bits of literature that captures you with its uniqueness and then lingers on your mind, reasserting itself from time to time to remind you that your reality may not be everyone else's. A rich and original work, full of aspects and images that are certain to make it worth recommending to friends you wish to impress. Not for everyone, but for those ready to embrace the offbeat, a welcome surprise."

J.D. Nelson, poet, MadVerse, compared the writing to both Stephen King and Ray Bradbury (big compliments):  "Eggleton counters the story's dark mood with touches of warmth and humor, la Ray Bradbury. .. His frank and honest portrayal of poverty in rural Appalachia is reminiscent of Stephen King's use of "everyday horrors"....

Kevin Patrick Mahoney on Authortrek compared it to Dean Koontz (!!!):  "...the subject matter is dark and strong, unflinching in its portrayal of human darkness, and not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. Robert Eggleton is not afraid of employing complex style and structure to fit the needs of his story. The mixture of sci-fi, gritty reality, humour, and the mode of thriller reminds me a great deal of Dean Koontz's writing, and Robert Eggleton may indeed have the potential to follow in Dean Koontz's footsteps."

Evelyn Somers, Editor, The Missouri Review didn't compare it to any works by others but echoed Mahoney:  "Among its strengths are an ultra-convincing depiction of the lives, especially the inner lives, of the Appalachian characters. The grim details of their existence are delivered with such flat understatement that at times they almost become comic. And just when you think enough is enough, this world is too plain ugly, Lacy Dawns father (who is being "fixed" with DotComs help) gets a job and Lacy Dawn, her mother and her dog take off for a trip to the mall "out of state" with Lacy Dawns android friend, now her "fianc" (though as Lacys mother points out, he doesnt have any private parts, not even "a bump.") In the space between a few lines we go from hardscrabble realism to pure sci-fi/fantasy. Its quite a trip."

As previously promoted above, Adicus Ryan Garton, publisher of Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine said it was the Wizard of Oz  (L. Frank Baum) and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) smashed together.  I was elated as Hitchhikers is my favorite all time novel.

Now, my writing has been compared to Kurt Vonnegut's style!  Please check out the above cited review.  Thanks.

Robert 

Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
My Writing was Compared to Vonnegut!!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
The author has granted permission to reprint the following book review. If you share it, please credit the author and his blog. Below the book review is a Caution for readers interested in my novel. Thanks

A Universe On the Edge
RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW. Robert Eggleton. Doghorn Publishing.  Published 2012.

Lacy Dawn is a little girl who lives in a magical forest where all the trees love her and she has a space alien friend who adores her and wants to make her queen of the universe. What's more, all the boys admire her for her beauty and brains. Mommy is very beautiful and Daddy is very smart, and Daddy's boss loves them all.

Except.

Lacy Dawn, the eleven year old protagonist, perches precariously between the psychosis of childhood and the multiple neuroses of adolescence, buffeted by powerful gusts of budding sexuality and infused with a yearning to escape the grim and brutal life of a rural Appalachian existence. In this world, Daddy is a drunk with severe PTSD, and Mommy is an insecure wraith. The boss is a dodgy lecher, not above leering at the flat chest of an eleven-year-old girl.

Yes, all in one book.

Rarity From The Hollow is written in a simple declarative style that's well- suited to the imaginary diary of a desperate but intelligent eleven-year-old -- the story bumping joyfully between the extraordinary and the banal.

The central planet of the universe is a vast shopping mall, and Lacy Dawn must save her world from a menace that arrives in the form of a cockroach infestation. Look again and the space alien has made Daddy smart and happy -- or at least an eleven year old girl's notion of what a smart and happy man should be. He has also made Mommy beautiful, giving her false teeth and getting the food stamp lady off her back.

About the only thing in the book that is believable is the nature of the narrative voice, and it is utterly compelling. You find yourself convinced that "Hollow" was written as a diary-based autobiography by a young girl and the banal stems from the limits of her environment, the extraordinary from her megalomania. And that's what gives Rarity From The Hollow a chilling, engaging verisimilitude that deftly feeds on both the utter absurdity of the characters' motivations and on the progression of the plot.

Indeed, there are moments of utter darkness: In one sequence, Lacy Dawn remarks matter-of-factly that a classmate was whipped to death, and notes that the assailant, the girl's father, had to change his underpants afterward because they were soiled with semen. Odd, and often chilling notes, abound.

As I was reading it, I remembered when I first read Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" at the age of 14. A veteran of Swift, Heller, and Frederick Brown, I understood absurdist humour in satire, but Vonnegut took that understanding and turned it on its ear.

In the spirit of Vonnegut, Eggleton (a psychotherapist focused on the adolescent patient) takes the genre and gives it another quarter turn. A lot of people hated Vonnegut, saying he didn't know the rules of good writing. But that wasn't true. Vonnegut knew the rules quite well, he just chose to ignore them, and that is what is happening in Eggleton's novel, as well.

Not everyone will like Rarity From The Hollow. Nonetheless, it should not be ignored.

by Bryan Zepp Jamieson
-----------

Genre: SF/F Cross-Genre

ISBN: 9781907133060; 1907133062

Brief Synopsis: Lacy Dawn is a true daughter of Appalachia, and then some. She lives in a hollow with her worn-out mom, her Iraq War disabled dad, and her mutt Brownie, a dog who's very skilled at laying fiber optic cable. Lacy Dawn's android boyfriend, DotCom, has come to the hollow with a mission. His equipment includes infomercial videos of Earth's earliest proto-humans from millennia ago. DotCom has been sent by the Manager of the Mall on planet Shptiludrp: he must recruit Lacy Dawn to save the Universe in exchange for the designation of Earth as a planet which is eligible for continued existence within a universal economic structure that exploits underdeveloped planets for their mineral content.

Caution: Piers Anthony found that Rarity from the Hollow was "...not for the prudish." Kevin Patrick Mahoney, editor of the once noteworthy site, Authortrek, found that it was, "...not for the faint hearted or easily offended...."   An early voice in the 1st chapter speaks about things that no child should know. It is that of a traumatized child -- a voice most of us never listen to, or want to hear, but in real life is screaming. This passage is mild in comparison to some of the stuff that kids have said during actual group psychotherapy sessions that I facilitated over the years. By child developmental stage, it is similar to the infamous early adolescent insult in E.T: "penis breath." It is tame in comparison to the content of the popular T.V. series, South Park, which was devoured by millions of teens.   

Except for a scene involving domestic violence in the 3rd chapter, the early dialogue is the only graphic content. There are no graphic sex scenes in the novel. The renewed romance between the protagonist's parents does include sexual reference. The android coming of age during his pursuit of humanity is reality based. However, Lacy Dawn never lets the android get farther than to kiss her on the cheek. The android expresses no interest in sex -- he falls in love, all consuming love by the middle of the story. The "F word" is used once, but there is no other profanity.

Rarity from the Hollow is A Children's Story for Adults.

<merged with existing thread.  Please, one thread per book.  Bookmark this thread so that you can find it again, thanks!  --Ann>
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:08:24 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Shane Ward

• London
  • I write Sci-Fi
    • View Profile
Re: My Writing was Compared to Vonnegut!!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
You are getting a lot of good reviews. keep up the good work and write more...

Shane

Click above image.

(www.shaneward.net)

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
Thanks. I'm holding off on having the equel edited until I've achieve greater name recognition.
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Shane Ward

• London
  • I write Sci-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
I don't think you have to write a sequel quite yet, perhaps something different :)

Shane

Click above image.

(www.shaneward.net)

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
Maybe "sequel" was the incorrect term. Ivy is another Lacy Dawn SF/F Adventure, but very different. It pokes fun at U.S. military recruitment practices, big city drug dealers, and subliminal attempts by the government to manage the behaviors of individuals.

Thanks
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »
Maybe "sequel" was the incorrect term. Ivy is another Lacy Dawn SF/F Adventure, but very different. It pokes fun at U.S. military recruitment practices, big city drug dealers, and subliminal attempts by the government to manage the behaviors of individuals.

Thanks
You need more books so your fans can buy more of your work.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
Thanks cinisajoy. I just retired from my job as a children's psychotherapist, so maybe I will have more time to write, as well as to interact with others. My job was so emotionally draining -- one damaged kid after another, the horror of their victimizations -- I was simply too exhausted to write when I got home. I expect to improve productivity.

Maybe I have been wrong all along. I assumed that one must first achieve name recognition before self-promotion had a realistic chance of working. Small presses like the one I hooked-up with have very limited budgets to advertise. So, it has mostly been up to me. I hate marketing and wish that there was some magic way of telling readers about one's works.  Maybe I should concentrate on writing and make marketing a secondary concern. What do you think?

If you are interested in my novel, please read the following Synopsis and Caution first. Thanks.

Caution:

This novel is SF/F cross-genre. It combines elements of fantasy, soft science fiction, everyday horrors, paranormal, a little romance, mystery, and adventure. The content addresses poverty, domestic violence, child maltreatment, local and intergalactic economics, mental health issues including PTSD experienced by Veterans and medicinal use of marijuana for treatment of bipolar disorder capitalism, and touches upon Christianity: Jesus is everybodys friend, not just humans. It has a HEA ending. 

Piers Anthony found that Rarity from the Hollow was not for the prudish. Kevin Patrick Mahoney, editor of the once noteworthy site, Authortrek, found that it was, not for the faint hearted or easily offended.    An early voice in the 1st chapter speaks about things that no child should know. It is that of a traumatized child a voice most of us never listen to, or want to hear, but in real life is screaming. This passage is mild in comparison to some of the stuff that kids have said during actual group psychotherapy sessions that I facilitated over the years. By child developmental stage, it is similar to the infamous early adolescent insult in E.T: penis breath. It is tame in comparison to the content of the popular T.V. series, South Park, which was devoured by millions of teens.   

Except for a scene involving domestic violence in the 3rd chapter, the early dialogue is the only graphic content. There are no graphic sex scenes in the novel. The renewed romance between the protagonists parents does include sexual reference. The android coming of age during his pursuit of humanity is reality-based. However, Lacy Dawn never lets the android get farther than to kiss her on the cheek. The android expresses no interest in sex he falls in love, all consuming love by the middle of the story. The F word is used once, but there is no other profanity.

Rarity from the Hollow is A Childrens Story for Adults.

Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: 2015 Reviews of Rarity from the Hollow
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »
Since I posted the last couple of reviews a while back, following are excerpts of additional recent reviews of Rarity from the Hollow by book reviewers. For the complete review, you will need to go to the blogs, except for the latest review that will be in Tales of the Talisman when it is released any day, and which will only be available if you buy the print magazine. I did not include reader reviews because, for one thing, I don't have very many (hint, hint).

After checking out these excerpts, if anybody thinks that she or he would enjoy reading Rarity from the Hollow and contacts me via www.lacydawnadventures.com , within 24 hours of the time of this post, I will send you a free .mobi in exchange for an honest reader review.  However, this is not a YA novel. It includes serious social commentary and satire not necessarily intended to be consumed for the purposes of escapism.  It is not for the prudish or easily offended and contains enough marijuana smoke to cause Cheech and Chong to contemplate moving to a hollow between the hills of West Virginia. The story is not erotic but does includes some sexual references that could offend very conservative readers. If you've enjoyed the South Park TV show if you are not an adult and your parent doesn't object to you watching it, my story should be mild in comparison as to mature content. (I assume that this is an okay offer on this thread. If not, Betsy, please delete this portion of my post only so that I don't have to repost the review excerpts. Thanks.)

Also, although my project has been advertised (for free) on child maltreatment survivor forums, probably because author proceeds have been donated to child abuse prevention in my home state, the early chapters could trigger PTSD if you are a victim of child abuse. So, use your own judgement. The story line is victimization to empowerment, and as both a survivor myself and a retired children's mental health psychotherapist, based on input from another couple of survivors who read the story, it could also be regarded as a self-help instruction for victims. One victim called the story a biography of a mentally ill child suffering from Dissociative Disorder (delusions / hallucinations) due to severe trauma, and not a science fiction adventure at all. Again, if you are a victim, use your own judgement, but if in doubt I recommend that you pass on this story.   

Here's some excerpts of reviews:

"...I will say that the book drew me in well enough that I really wanted to know how they would pull it off, and I enjoyed the payoff."
     -- Errant Dreams, May 28, 2015

"...And I f***ng loved it. Because the authors writing style was absolutely brilliant. He weaved in first person and third person narratives like every other paragraph. And the imagination on this guy Damn."
     -- Glenn Hates Books, 6-13-15

"...I really enjoyed "Rarity from the Hollow". Robert Eggleton has woven a story packed full of adventure, desperation, pain, heartache,  romance, and humor. While this may be a book that might not be everyone's cup of tea I definitely think that everyone should give this book a try. Although, I do feel that this is a book not recommended for children because of the issues and certain events that are described within the book."  -- Mountain Rhinestones, 6-20-15 

"...I found it a little too disturbing for my tastes. I am a 19 year old who still enjoys Disney and can't watch a horror film because they are terrifying after all. But for fans of horror movies and Stephen King this book is perfect. It is psychologically disturbing at a different level to what I have seen before and this made it hard for me to read, especially the scene describing her friend's death...."
     -- The Reading Rose, 6-23-15

"...I didn't realize until half way through that the idiosyncratic spelling of the planets' name was Shop Til You Drop - and how deadly serious the powers-that-be were in making mindless but competitive shoppers of everyone in the universe - which ultimately consumes every resource and destroys every planet but the "winner". That will stay with me a long while."
     -- Wendy Tuck, Goodreads Reviewer, 6-23-15

The Midwest Review, reprint of the review that appeared in The Electric Review on 8-12-14 ("one quarter turn beyond Vonnegut")
     -- 7-2-15

"...This story is filled with great laughs and has a unique twist of science fiction. Usually when I read about stories with aliens is like about war, aliens taking over the world or the alien is the main character. The idea of the shopping mall is also genius.... If the book becomes a movie I see more of a Little Miss Sunshine type of movie (hint hint)."
     -- Where Stephanie Reads, 7-3-15

The Baryon Review, reprint of reviews in Warrior Patient by former editor of Reader's Digest on 5-18-15 ("most enjoyable science fiction I've read in several years..." and in The Baron Review on 12-31-12 ("...good science fiction satire is even harder to find..."
     -- The Baron Review, 7-8-15

"...I am sure that some will love this book, think it is brilliant. I am sadly not one of those people...."
     -- Pixies Can Read, 7-16-15 

"...This book has been described as a laugh-out-loud book, but I disagree with that. I found it to be very dark. Sure, it has humorous moments, but its not a comedy...Yes, the book is dark, but its also good. Its well-written and it makes you think...."
     -- Book Obsessed Human, 7-16-15

"...Theres a lot to like in this novel. Lacy Dawn is a clever and engaging character, who overcomes her difficult family situation, and her blossoming sexuality with homespun, common sense wisdom. Shes equally at ease talking to alien androids, her classmates, the trees, and ghosts. Eggleton makes an admirably smooth progression from the grim realities of Appalachian life to the broadly satirical look at the alien economics of consumerism and how a smart kid can find solutions to problems entrenched management have made for themselves...Unfortunately, I felt Eggleton undercut these strengths with an over reliance on potty and drug humor...."
     -- Tales of the Talisman Magazine, Vol. 10, Issue 4, 7-17-15 

Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 06:09:17 AM »
Rarity from the Hollo now has 30 book reviews on Amazon, the vast majority posted by book reviewers or book critics, and has a 4.2 rating at this time.

http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-Hollow-Robert-Eggleton-ebook/dp/B007JDI508

Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
Rarity from the Hollow made the front page of a magazine yesterday, not a magazine about books or even science fiction, but a magazine that has an Arts & Entertainment section along with sections on technology, leisure, science and which had Veterans Day coverage. The book cover and a blurb was followed by a link to the book review that prompted Rarity from the Hollow to have been awarded a Gold Medal by Awesome Indies last Friday. Check out the very cool magazine:

http://paper.li/Derek_Haines
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Raffle: Win a Copy of Rarity from the Hollow
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 06:35:06 AM »
Ebook Giveaway & Interview: Robert Eggleton, Author of Rarity From The Hollow

For the next couple of weeks, you are eligible to enter a raffle to win a free copy of Rarity from the Hollow -- an adult literary science fiction novel, not for the prudish, faint of heart or easily offended. Just go to the site to enter:

http://dabofdarkness.com/2015/12/30/ebook-giveaway-interview-robert-eggleton-author-of-rarity-from-the-hollow/

<merged with existing thread.  Please, one thread per book.  Bookmark this thread so that you can find it again, thanks!  --Ann>

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:40:46 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Named as One of the Best Books Read in 2015
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
Rarity from the Hollow was listed as one of the best books read in 2015 by a Bulgarian book reviewer:

"Since this is the last book I read before writing this article, I had little time to contemplate it deeply, but it was more than enough. 'Rarity from the Hollow' was surely one of the best novels I read this year. This has not only helped by its captivating story, but by its philosophy and view on the 'normal' life of a child that's had problems in the family -- problems that none of us would want to face. And that's what makes it beautiful."

"Read my review of 'Rarity from the Hollow' right here!"

http://codices.info/2015/12/top-5-for-2015-ventsi/

If you haven't entered the raffle for a free copy posted above, it's still going on. Thanks
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Named as One of the Best Books Read in 2015
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
A January Spotlight on Rarity From the Hollow, an adult literary science fiction novel that is not for the faint of heart. Excerpts from book reviews:

http://indiescififantasy.com/rarity-from-the-hollow-by-robert-eggleton/
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Rarity from the Hollow was Awarded A Second Gold Medal!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 09:03:43 PM »
On January 20, 2016, Rarity from the Hollow, an adult literary science fiction novel was awarded a second Gold Medal. The first one was awarded by Awesome Indies on Novemer 6, 2015. I've shared this link before. This second one was awarded by Reader's Favorite:

https://readersfavorite.com/book-review/rarity-from-the-hollow

The novel is now in the process of republication and progress has been made on the second edition. A new cover is now on a new Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-Hollow-Robert-Eggleton-ebook/dp/B017REIA44/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr= .

The most recent book review was published yesterday on Rebbie Reviews (excerpt):

"...The plot is really complex and in some places very dark and it keeps you wanting to turn pages, I've found myself almost missing bus stops and coming close to hypothermia in the bath tub when reading this book because I was promising myself I'd stop at the next chapter and then carrying on regardless...." https://rebbiereviews.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/rarity-from-the-hollow-robert-eggleton/

Neither of the above reviews are on Amazon or Goodreads as not all book reviewers / critics of the novel have been participants in programs that are affiliated with book sales. There is a link at the bottom of the author interview on the Rebbie Reviews blog that leads to an earlier book review of Rarity from the Hollow that you won't find on sales sites, as well. This one is the only book review to mention that Metallica is the feature band in the story, and is a fun book review to read, written by a long-standing and prominent book critic of science fiction novels, Barry Hunter.

On 1-17-16, a book reviewer in the U.K. joined the movement to introduce Lacy Dawn Adventures  to the world by posting a Spotlight on Rarity from the Hollow: http://jeanzbookreadnreview.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/promotional-spotlight-rarity-from.html

On 1-19-16, a book reviewer in the U.S. became the most recent member of the team by posting an absolutely beautiful spotlight with a brief synopsis of the novel: http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2016/01/spotlight-post-rarity-from-hollow-by.html

On 1-22-16 an Affiliate of Fantasy Fan Federation, an international organization that has been around since the 1940s and that holds an annual fantasy fiction contest, posted his review of Rarity from the Hollow on Amazon (excerpt):

"...Rarity From the Hollow begins with some rough stuff, hard to read, involving child neglect and child abuse. But it soon turns the corner to satire, parody, and farce, partaking a little of the whimsical and nonsensical humor of Roger Zelazny or even Ron Goulart...."

Also on 1-22-16, a poem based on the novel, "Our Real Warmth" SF Version, won 1st Place, Poetry, in the international Willy Con and WSC SF & F Club annual competition: http://wildcat.wsc.edu/clubs/willycon/zine/

Later today, a new and very detailed author interview is supposed to be published on a blog, the newest member of the movement to introduce Lacy Dawn Adventures to the world. I'll update you about this after it is released. I've updated the Lacy Dawn Adventures website some, but it needs a lot more work: http://www.lacydawnadventures.com The Lacy Dawn Adventures Facebook page stays current, but only shows the most recent entries: https://www.facebook.com/Lacy-Dawn-Adventures-573354432693864/?ref=hl

If someone wants to help with this project, please contact me by messaging me on Facebook or by my personal email, a direct link is on the website. If you remember, author proceeds have been donated to child abuse prevention, so it's a good cause.

Oh, and Stoners Against Child Abuse, a related project, has had a bunch of tweets in support of the concept of designating tax revenue from the legalization of marijuana sales to child abuse prevention as states enact legislation -- likes and retweets. The designation of Lottery revenue to senior services has been highly successful and it would be a natural fit for marijuana taxes to go to child abuse prevention. A wild book review of Rarity from the Hollow with a comment section to show your support is at: https://ghbooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/rarity-from-the-hollow-is-rare-indeed/ More significantly, if you and your friends would write to state legislators in your home states, this grassroots concept will grow.

Thanks for reading this long post. Take care.   

Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Rarity from the Hollow was Awarded A Second Gold Medal!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 05:39:14 AM »
Excerpt of Most Recent Five Stars Review -- Go Out of Your Comfort Zone

"...Youll either like it or you wont but its worth trying books out anyway. One thing Ive learned during my time blogging is that books can surprise you. When I started this book, I wanted to hate it. I wanted to hate it for no other reason than I disliked Lacy Dawns name! Thats how fickle we can be. Ive read horror books which Ive hated, when thats the main genre Id say I like, Ive read erotica books where the plot has blown other books out of the water.. you cant label everything. Just try something new, something out of your comfort zone.. something like this!
Lacy Dawn is an 11 year old girl living in The Hollow in West Virginia, shes living in poverty and dealing with domestic abuse, and shes asked to save the universe.. and its actually really good.

Theres really not much else I can say, not for fear of spoiling the plot.. but for knowing where to start.
I enjoyed this book, and I hope there will be more Adventures to come!

As well as being lucky enough to get this book for review purposes, Mr Eggleton has agreed to answer some questions about the book...."

https://rebbiereviews.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/rarity-from-the-hollow-robert-eggleton/
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Rarity from the Hollow Update and Giveaway
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 04:57:55 AM »
2-16-16 Rarity from the Hollow Update and Announcement A Giveaway!

If you dont yet have a copy of Rarity from the Hollow, a giveaway is scheduled for this Sunday. The host is from Egypt! Since 2006, she has been the Editor of the poetry and creative writing magazine, The Muse, and is the Editor-in-Chief of HR Revolution Middle East Magazine. Pretty cool, huh? Ill share the link later and good luck in the drawing. Please share with your friends.

Last night, a new spotlight on Rarity from the Hollow, with a detailed author interview was published on a blog, but it was so late that I decided to hold off on sharing it until today: http://inkedbrownies.com/2016/02/15/rarity-from-the-hollow-by-robert-eggleton/.

Plus, I felt a little discouraged, so I went to bed earlier than usual last night The novel received another glowing book review, one that compared Rarity to L. Frank Baum, Wizard of Oz (with a little Cheech and Chong style marijuana smoking, but the reviewer was Dutch so that was cool). Except. The review only rated the novel with three stars. Bummer. Then, I discovered that this reviewer rated Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse with only two stars, so. Plus, she said in the review that she was from a wealthy family and the rating made a little more sense after I thought about it. I mean, the text of the review was glowingI hate how star ratings have so much influence on whether one even reads reviews I do it, as well scan for top rated products without bothering to read the entire review. Sometimes.

I submitted another short Lacy Dawn Adventure to a magazine last night. Personally, I have mixed feelings about this story, but its hard to assess ones own work. Ill keep you informed.

A very detailed interview that focused on how a science fiction novel helps to prevent child abuse was published on 2-12-16: http://www.lindseywinsemius.com/blog/writing-for-a-cause-robert-eggletons-story

There's a lot more news since I last posted, but that's it from off the top. Take care everybody and keep on writing!

Dont forget to like: https://www.facebook.com/Lacy-Dawn-Adventures-573354432693864/
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Win a Free Copy of Rarity from the Hollow!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »

Win a free copy of Rarity from the Hollow!

Check out this amazing book blog from Egypt and enter to win.

http://nadanessinmotion.blogspot.com/2016/02/giveaway-for-rarity-from-hollow-by.html?spref=tw
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline maeganalexandriaauthor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
This definitely looks interesting. Gonna check it out! Keep up the good work!

Maegan Alexandria | Blog | Website | Facebook

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
Thanks Maegan,

I appreciate your reply and would appreciate any help that you would give me in the form of advice or information. I'm a retired children's psychotherapist, new to fiction. Rarity from the Hollow is a traditional small press publication, which, of course, means that I'm responsible for its promotion. I'm a total novice, but the novel has has some success. Something about it has now appeared on over eighty blogs or magazines worldwide, in twelve different countries including all over the U.S. and the U.K., Finland, Mexico, Bulgaria, Belgium, South Africa, Uruguay, India, Taiwan, Australia, and Canada.  The giveaway that you responded to is being hosted by a Book Editor who has a blog in Egypt.

After I told KBoard members about the contest, it was announced on the front page of an online newsletter: http://paper.li/Indie__Authors/1309050378?edition_id=9c5514d0-d954-11e5-89c3-0cc47a0d15fd ; and a new spotlight was published on a blog from Arizona: http://www.tmbacorbett.com/2016/02/book-spotlight-rarity-from-hollow-by.html .

I'm looking for more free self-promotional opportunities and if you have recommendations they would be appreciated. I've never spent any money on promotions, not that I'm against it. Even though I've got a lot to be proud of having worked for over forty years as a child advocate, I never made much money at it. Now that I'm retired, there is even less money for paid promotions. So, I'll pass on those types of recommendations if you have any, but, thank you anyway. I've declined to act on several of what sounded like good deals already, if I would have had more money.

Thanks again and good luck in the contest to win a free copy of Rarity from the Hollow! I take everybody's advice very seriously, so if you or anybody else who reads this post has any recommendations on how to promote this project given my financial limitations, please help. If you've read the thread, you know that over half of author proceeds have been donated to child abuse prevention, so its a humanitarian cause, as well as you being a nice person. I hope to get a little return in the future so that I can invest in some low cost promotions and I'll be much more receptive to that type of recommendation in the future.     
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Lacy Dawn Adventures
Re: Religion and Book Reviews
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 06:13:05 AM »
Hi,

When you send out book review requests, do you look for expressions of religious beliefs or affiliations on the blogs? Of course, you look for reviewing interests by genre, which can be a matter of trying to fit into one when your book bends genres. Some book bloggers will make statements in their policies about profanity and sex, and those can be helpful unless your work is on a margin -- a little bit but is it too much for the reviewer?

Recently, I mistakenly sent a review request to a teenager. I didn't know that she was a teen, and her policy included the review of adult novels. Since Rarity from the Hollow is adult literary science fiction, not for the prudish, faint of heart, or easily offended, I feel fortunate that this teen book reviewer was so receptive. Aldana joined in the project to raise funds for the prevention of child abuse by promoting Rarity from the Hollow on her blog with a spotlight: https://perfectioninbooks.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/rarity-from-the-hollow-book-spotlight/ When I shared the news about this post with friends on Facebook, I commented: "Do you remember when we, as teens, marched in the streets, proud and idealistic, to put an end to that ridiculous war. Personally, I haven't changed all that much. Have you? I still believe that there is the power in youth to change their worlds. I hope that a lot of kids check out Aldana's blog and are influenced by her interest in such an important issue." https://www.facebook.com/Lacy-Dawn-Adventures-573354432693864/

More recently, Rarity from the Hollow received a three star book review that read like a five star review until the very end of it. The blogger didn't use stars until it appeared on Goodreads and I was surprised when I read it there. It appears that the blogger's personal religious views and an interpretation of my story were in conflict.  Following are the highlights and there are no negatives other than those included below:

"Truthfully, Im interested in the psychology behind abuse and how it affects the abuser and the victim. In this case, I believe that Lacy Dawns father felt regret and loathed himself each time he switched Lacy Dawn and her mom. From the beginning, I find that Lacy Dawn is a very strong and brave girl, able to stand up to her father for the sake of helping her mother. She grew up before her time and she was fine with it until her adolescence years. The way the book ends was quite unexpected and a little funny at the same time. I agree with the authors mindset that sex should wait until after marriage which sadly, is not something everyone holds on to this days. If there is anything I didnt especially liked in the book was the mention of Jesus as a name randomly created by aliens to be thrown into human lives. When I read that part, I felt that God isnt being taken seriously and I was disappointed with that thought. Other than that, I rather enjoyed this wacky story which is analogous to a roller coaster ride." https://rainbowofbooks.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/book-review-rarity-from-the-hollow/

On first read, I thought that maybe this book reviewer was Muslim. So, I looked closer and found that she had reviewed some Christian books. After I thought about her statement that God wasn't taken seriously in my story, I think that I figured out why she said that. One of the characters, a pot selling neighbor, is in the middle of the manic phase of a Bipolar Disorder episode and Lacy Dawn tells him that, "...Jesus is everybody's friend, not just humans...." I had intended this to mean that God is all powerful, including all sentient life in the universe, and it was a reassurance by Lacy Dawn used to calm down the neighbor -- a comforting statement.

Personally, I think that I'm going to look a little closer at blog contents before sending review requests in the future. I'll continue to send them to book reviewers of all religions, agnostics, atheists.... But, I may tailor the content of my book review requests to acknowledge any content of Rarity from the Hollow which could trigger a reaction based on religious beliefs -- just a thought.

One aspect of the above review which I think was super cool concerned the mention that Lacy Dawn decided to wait until after she was married before having sex for the first time -- a traditional family value. This was the first book reviewer which hit that nail flat on the head. Some reviewers have missed that part of the story all together. A couple have even questioned the relationship between Lacy Dawn occupying the body of an eleven year old girl and an android with more adult-like male characteristics, even though Lacy Dawn is actually hundreds of thousands of years old and has been schooled in all human subjects, including biology, and the fact that the android is genderless, not even a little bump. So, this reviewer's sensitivity to these matters paid off in that respect.

Ideally, all book reviewers would rise above their own personal and religious beliefs when performing reviews -- temporarily adopt the cultural values of the characters while reading the stories. That's what I do when I'm reviewing a book. Since suspension of personal values would be difficult and not likely to occur in most cases, I wanted to share a little food for thought when we are reading or writing book reviews.

Take care and good luck.

BTW, why do quotation marks and apostrophes show up as question marks when you post?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:21:56 AM by robert eggleton »
Robert Eggleton
Lacy Dawn Adventures