Author Topic: How not to ask for a review!  (Read 2791 times)  

Offline kisala9906

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
How not to ask for a review!
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »
 I got a message today that left a horrible taste in my mouth! I don't mind reviewing books that I am actually interested in but when the book doesn't interest me I don't see what the issue is in declining.
The topic was HI, willing to help a dying author?
He proceed to tell me that his bank account is dead and he needs reviews on his books. Well I looked at the books and I was not interested so I told him I was not interested in his books and good luck on getting reviews. He kept sending me messages and finally this message.

Wasn't begging for reviews. As I recall I only asked you once. That highly qualifies as begging. and I offered to give you a Pdt free so I don't see what price has to do with it. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by its cover? Probably not. considering you only have one photo...revealing quite a bit. You can keep you personal vendatta against me. Ill just remove you and move on to someone more open minded and less judgemental.

This sort of thing just really, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I did nothing wrong but I am getting made out to be the bad guy. :(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Greer

• View Profile
      • GreerHartley.com
    Re: How not to ask for a review!
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »
    My senior editor gets this kind of thing with submissions all the time. It's not your fault, just try to forget about it. And whatever you do, don't engage with this dude. That way lies madness.

Offline cblewgolf

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
      • Deep Rough
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:33:16 pm »
    Ouch - this was a friendly KB'er?

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »
    Report it. That's just awful.

Sheesh. I hate it when people beg for reviews, or review deals, or any of that kind of stuff. If it's to increase sales or visibility, it doesn't work, OK?

Honesty works. Hard work, and more books.

Offline J Bridger

• Raleigh, NC
    • I write to give myself strength...
      • View Profile
      • Publishing the Paranormal
    « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:46:56 pm »
    Sorry he was mean and snarky. Seems to me that he wasn't very aware of how to approach reviewers to say the least or with basic etiquette.

Offline Mark Feggeler

• North Carolina
    • Author of "The Psi Squad" MG paranormal series.
      • View Profile
      • The Writing Den
    « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »
    Sounds like a real charmer. I've never understood why people think it's okay to go on the offensive so quickly. Oh, well...

Offline jackz4000

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
    People like him give indies a bad name. A shame there are people like him, but there are. Disregard him.

Offline RoseInTheTardis

• Seattle, WA
    • Writing keeps me sane *and* makes me crazy.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:47:47 pm »
    I don't review books anymore for a number of reasons but responses like that from authors (and ones I see around the web) are part of the reason why not. Sheesh. Holy overreaction, Batman!

Offline dalya

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
    PREPARE THE VOLCANO!

WE MUST THROW A FEW NAUGHTY SELF-PUBBERS IN THERE TO SERVE AS A REMINDER TO OTHERS.

Offline kisala9906

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
    PREPARE THE VOLCANO!

WE MUST THROW A FEW NAUGHTY SELF-PUBBERS IN THERE TO SERVE AS A REMINDER TO OTHERS.

LMAO!!!! I was so p*ssed I was ready to take all authors off my GR friends and stop going out of my way to read indie authors. Don't worry I calmed down and reminded myself that most aren't this way. Still tho I have no idea why saying I was not interested in a book sent this guy over the edge! I am not going to like all books.

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
      • Vicki Tyley - Novels of Mystery and Suspense
    « Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
    I get quite a few requests for reviews (my email address is on my Amazon profile) and learned the hard the way that responding is not worth it. I used to reply explaining that erotic sci-fi with paranormal overtones (okay, maybe not, but a genre I don't read) wasn't my cup of tea and wish them well. When I started getting snarky replies, I stopped.

Cheers
    Vicki

Also available from Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords
    Visit Vicki's website: www.vickityley.com

Offline R M Rowan

• View Profile
      • Rowan Graphics
    « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
    Sounds like he's one step from a total meltdown and you got stuck on the receiving end. Can you imagine what would have happened had you agreed to review the book and didn't like it?!  :o

Premade and custom covers at www.rowangraphics.com .

Offline kisala9906

• Las Vegas, NV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:17 pm »
    Sounds like he's one step from a total meltdown and you got stuck on the receiving end. Can you imagine what would have happened had you agreed to review the book and didn't like it?!  :o

Oh I don't want to know!! Every other time I have replied to a request the author has either not responded back again or been very nice and just said thanks. I have decided if I am not interested  I will just delete the message and not reply next time.

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34:20 pm »
    Damn, that the strategy I was gonna use to get reviews. How about if I went with the starving kids angle? that always works when I'm panhandling on the street corner.

Bedrich Pasek VIII | Website

Offline J Bridger

• Raleigh, NC
    • I write to give myself strength...
      • View Profile
      • Publishing the Paranormal
    « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 05:43:32 pm »
    Dayla - so true; just that it's always good for me too to read examples of what NOT to do!

Offline NottiThistledore

• Kidlit author
      • View Profile
      • The Chatswood Spooks
    « Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »
    Oh dear! I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I've had some doozies on my book blog. I once declined a completely mistargeted review requested and received the most appallingly rude response in reply. I've never, ever been called names like that before!

Good for you for dealing with him so professionally, and here's hoping that you don't receive anything like that again in future! :)

Notti Thistledore | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Zelah Meyer

• Europe
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:50 am »
     ???  What?

You are definitely not the 'bad guy' here!  How does declining to review something somehow equal a personal vendetta against someone?  Or justify the author making personal attacks at the reviewer?  That's just some crazy sense of entitlement speaking.

If that is a Kindleboards author and they were contacting you through here (or got your contact details here and are harassing you off the boards) then you should report that to the Admins - that's totally unacceptable behaviour & definitely not what the messaging system was intended for.  (If it was elsewhere, then it may or may not break that site's rules as well.)
    I do not consent to the Vertical Scope Terms of Service.  I joined under the previous ownership and have posted over the years under different Terms of Service.  I do not consent to my name, content, or intellectual properties being used by Vertical Scope or any other entity that they sell or licence my data to.

Offline 60911

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 04:10:25 am »
    PREPARE THE VOLCANO!

There ain't a volcano big enough to rid ourselves of this problem, at least based on all the stories I've heard from reviewers about crazy self-pubbers who go off the rails and threaten reviewers. To the OP, I would echo the others and say that I'm sorry you had this experience.

Offline MLKatz

• View Profile
      • Raft People
    « Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21:30 am »
    I ran a website targeted at a particular demographic for years. Mostly I would get requests for book reviews from pretty professional people or publishers and marketing companies. Sometimes an Indy would ask. MOSTLY the Indy authors were great, and I enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship with them (I'm sure the same is true for the OP).

There was this one guy... (Here comes the story) who wrote something I considered a far right wing rant that he published on Amazon. I didn't want to read it, much less give it any attention by writing any kind or review. I refused by saying the website did not really want to get into any extreme political views. He accused me of violating his right to freedom of speech. I replied by saying his freedom of speech did not extend to violating my freedom to manage my website.

Anyway, the lesson here is to leave well enough alone. Any reviews that come from a reluctant reviewer aren't bound to be good reviews.

You can Facebook MLKatz & welcome to my author Website!
    ```Free Book Beast : We've got the technology! Stop wasting time. Quality Speculative Fiction Freebies Delivered

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
    • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
      • View Profile
      • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
    « Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:35 am »
    It's hard to believe that anyone could react like this. I echo the sentiment of 'what reaction to a bad review'  :o

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
    Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline markobeezy

• DFW, Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 05:40:38 am »
    Reviews=Money

And when you get involved with someone's money, well, that just brings out the worst in people.

Or the best.

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.  ~Dr. Anton Chekhov
    Medicine is my lawful wife and literature is my mistress. ~Dr. Anton Chekhov

bardsandsages

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:22 am »
    Ye gods, I hate "pity marketing." The whole thing is the internet version of panhandling.  :P

Offline AmsterdamAssassin

• Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Fear is the little-death that brings obliteration
      • View Profile
      • Tao of Violence - Amsterdam Assassin Series
    « Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 07:42:42 am »
    Why would any man comment negatively on your cleavage photo?  :o

You know you should never argue with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

"...most realistic depiction of a blind character I have come across..." -Amazon reviewer
    Martyn V. Halm | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+

Offline merryxmas

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 07:53:07 am »
    I got a message today that left a horrible taste in my mouth! I don't mind reviewing books that I am actually interested in but when the book doesn't interest me I don't see what the issue is in declining.
    The topic was HI, willing to help a dying author?
    He proceed to tell me that his bank account is dead and he needs reviews on his books. Well I looked at the books and I was not interested so I told him I was not interested in his books and good luck on getting reviews. He kept sending me messages and finally this message.

Wasn't begging for reviews. As I recall I only asked you once. That highly qualifies as begging. and I offered to give you a Pdt free so I don't see what price has to do with it. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by its cover? Probably not. considering you only have one photo...revealing quite a bit. You can keep you personal vendatta against me. Ill just remove you and move on to someone more open minded and less judgemental.

This sort of thing just really, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I did nothing wrong but I am getting made out to be the bad guy. :(

Did you respond to his message by saying something like "Don't beg for reviews"?  Since the message from them includes the word 'begging' in a defensive way it sounds like you either called him or implied that he was a beggar.  Perhaps not but the message is a response to something else we can't see and that's how it looks with only half the story.

Offline Jan Strnad

• Los Angeles CA USA
    • Under the Endeavor
      • View Profile
      • OneLastTime.org
    « Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 08:00:50 am »
    I can't find the gumption to approach people one-on-one for a review. I've tried it with a website of reviewers (to no avail, so far), but to just walk up and ask someone for a review seems rude somehow.

Providing strange stories to discerning readers since 1972
    Jan Strnad | Facebook | Author Page | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement