Kindle Forum banner

KindleBoards.com... is now KBoards.com!

18K views 162 replies 60 participants last post by  SuzyLiebermann 
#1 ·
Update:

The migration is complete. No electrons were lost in the migration. Hooray!

Update:

On March 7th, we'll be moving the KindleBoards.com site to a new domain name: KBoards.com.

The move should be fairly transparent to all of you, except that you'll have to update any browser bookmarks that you might have for us.

We don't expect any significant changes in the look and feel of the site. All of your threads, posts, signatures, avatars, PMs, etc, will continue to exist.

One expected impact will be that the site search form in our headers won't work well for a few days; it will take a few days for Google's spiders to crawl through the new site and to do the necessary search index updates.

The KindleBoards.com site will be unavailable at 7pm Pacific on March 7th while we initiate the migration. At about 9:30pm Pacific, the new site will become available.

After the conversion, for about two weeks, we'll have the KindleBoards.com address redirect you automatically to KBoards.com. Hopefully this will give you time to update your browser bookmarks.

For the two weeks after that, you'll see a reminder message for a few seconds, and then be redirected to the new site.

After that, when you enter KindleBoards.com in your browser, you'll see a message asking you to update your bookmarks, and offering a link that you can click to get you to the new site.

See less See more
#17 ·
FKAKB.com?

(formerly known as...)

The site where I mod, tvclubhouse.com, started out as Big Brother Fan Club dot com until CBS threatened the orignial owner with lawsuits.  Actually encourged our inevitable expansion beyond Big Brother.

Sadder story is Komen For the Cure threatening a couple of (probably more, I just know of two) small non profits set up by parents of kids with cancer.. one was named Kites for a Cure and the other had for a cure or for the cure in the title, but NO ONE would have mistakenly given money to them thinking they were Komen.  They had already spent money on stationery and such.  Not sure what ever happened, but it sure turned off some people to Komen, and their high priced legal team, before all the hoopla with Planned Parenthood.

Sad when power is used just because it exists.

I await the new name with great anticipation. 

#22 ·
No worry. . . crumbs will be left. :D

Basically, Amazon has often asked sites to stop using the name 'kindle' which is, after all, their trademark. :-\  They've left us alone for 5 years but at some point it's entirely possible they'll send the notice.  It's actually a little surprising we've been left alone as long as we have as we are certainly the premier Kindle fan site on the Net! Sites and blogs with much smaller footprints, albeit different purposes, have been asked to change their names.

Anyway, Harvey, as usual, is prepared.  ;D Given that the rumors are if the notice comes they only give 7 days, Harvey doesn't want to be caught on vacation in Hawaii or something! :eek:

It'll be fine. . .take deep breaths. . .have some chocolate. . . . :)

#24 ·
crebel said:
cattleprodcentral dot com...
;D
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Okay, Okay! I got it!

Hibbing.com

Do I win? Huh, huh?
;D I like both of those...but due to contractual requirements, I have to vote for hibbing.com ;D

My understanding is that under US trademark law, a company has to defend the use of its trademark term or risk losing the trademark. So it does't really bother me that a company does so. Amazon has invested a lot of money in its brand and has the right to defend it. KindleBoards, under whatever name, will still be the best Kindle-lovers' forum on the 'Net. We've got something the others don't have--Harvey and a great membership!

Betsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.