Author Topic: Skinit skins  (Read 1546 times)  

Offline Whidbeyislandgirl

• View Profile
Skinit skins
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:22 pm »
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a skin from Skinit.com? What did you think? Did it leave sticky stuff? How was the fit? Color? Etc? Just found their site and looks interesting.... But I'm a decalgirl fan and I'm not sure how skinit compares.

Thanks for the advice!

Vicki

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jill75

• KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!
      • View Profile
    Re: Skinit skins
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »
    I am also a decal girl and have always loved it. I have seen the SkinIt also but looks good as well but does not know the issues regarding stickiness, etc. They are quite cheap than others but have not tried it.

KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!

Offline jesspark

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:53 pm »
    Wow, it's a shame Skinit only offers skins for the Kindle 2! They have some cute designs (some of the Disney skins are adorable), AND you have the option to create your own custom skins right on the website. The convenience of mytego.com with what looks like the smooth texture of Decalgirl? Not bad!

...Of course, I have a first-generation Kindle, so Skinit is right out for me. I'm also squinting at the options for buying skins: for pre-existing designs, it doesn't appear as though you get any kind of preview of what the skin looks like on a Kindle 2; and for custom designs, it looks like the skin doesn't include the side buttons...? That's really weird.

It's just as well, I suppose -- I need more skin choices like I need a hole in my head.  ;)

Offline Becks

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:26:10 am »
    I have this skinit for my laptop that's been on a few months. I just peeled up 2 corners a few inches to see if there was any residue and I don't see anything.  It went right back down perfectly too.   The colors are nice and vibrant, its perfectly smooth, and it was a nice thickness that made it easy to apply.  I'd buy other things from them in the future.

Offline Whidbeyislandgirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:46:26 am »
    Thank you Becks, that is what I was hoping to hear! They have some wonderful skins..... Damn..... guess I've got some shopping to do!

Offline suicidepact

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:01:15 pm »
    Interesting, but they don't seem to show the skins on the device. And I imagine it's not really a picture, just a rendering, the fact that they don't really show what the skin will look like with that design. It's just a picture with no cutout for keyboard or screen. Is it just my browser, or are other people seeing that as well? If so, I'm hesitant to get a skin until I know what it will look like on a Kindle. Cool designs though. They look good on the other gear.

Offline jesspark

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:09:21 pm »
    Interesting, but they don't seem to show the skins on the device. And I imagine it's not really a picture, just a rendering, the fact that they don't really show what the skin will look like with that design. It's just a picture with no cutout for keyboard or screen. Is it just my browser, or are other people seeing that as well? If so, I'm hesitant to get a skin until I know what it will look like on a Kindle. Cool designs though. They look good on the other gear.

Not just you! I remarked on the same thing just a couple of posts back:

I'm also squinting at the options for buying skins: for pre-existing designs, it doesn't appear as though you get any kind of preview of what the skin looks like on a Kindle 2; and for custom designs, it looks like the skin doesn't include the side buttons...? That's really weird.

Have you tried out the custom skin creator? If so, do the side buttons not appear skinned, or is that just me?

Offline jesspark

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:47 pm »
    I'm also squinting at the options for buying skins: for pre-existing designs, it doesn't appear as though you get any kind of preview of what the skin looks like on a Kindle 2; and for custom designs, it looks like the skin doesn't include the side buttons...? That's really weird.

A screenshot (or two) to illustrate what I'm seeing:

This is the design I was playing around with originally. As you can see, the side buttons are missing entirely.

It's even more obvious in plain black.

I really wish Skinit included actual product photos of skinned Kindle 2s -- or at least renders -- to show what their skins look like on the device. I don't have a K2, but, if I did, there's no way I'd buy a skin that didn't include pieces for the buttons, and that's certainly how it looks to me from the limited information available on the website.

Offline suicidepact

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:09:40 pm »
    No, hadn't tried that, just the pre-made skins (NHL, San Jose Sharks, etc.). I'll take a second look later. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:11 pm »
    I remember someone posting a pix of their custom skinit a while ago (can't remember the thread though, sorry  ???!) - it was a "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" skin, and I clearly remember that there were indeed no side button skins. I seem to recall the person was a bit disappointed by that but overall very happy with his skin.

Offline jesspark

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 02:29:20 pm »
    No problem, suicidepact!  :)

Incidentally, Skinit is one of KindleBoards' affiliates, so, if anyone does want to place an order, doing so via this link should help out KB a bit in the process.

I remember someone posting a pix of their custom skinit a while ago (can't remember the thread though, sorry  ???!) - it was a "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" skin, and I clearly remember that there were indeed no side button skins. I seem to recall the person was a bit disappointed by that but overall very happy with his skin.

Right on, Neo! I just discovered the same thing and came here to post about it.  =)  The Hitchhiker's Guide skin belongs to wilsondm2, and you can see it here.

Offline Sanveann

• Michigan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »
    Yeah, I see what you mean! Some of their skins are lovely, but I wouldn't order, either, unless I knew exactly how it was going to look on a Kindle
    ~ Alexis, mom to Matthew, Eli and the Furry Horde

Offline kindlevixen

• Las Vegas
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Vixen
    « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:17 pm »
    I like their skins, I wish they would do them for Kindle 1s but when I emailed them about it they seemed pretty set not to offer them.  Bummer!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement