Author Topic: War Party - an Action Suspense novel  (Read 12116 times)  

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
    • Author's website
War Party - an Action Suspense novel
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »

In a world where dreams are belittled and apathy has become a staple, War Party proves that one unlikely hero can still make a difference.  Tommy Galiwee, a native-American teen, wants desperately to be a warrior despite having been taught that Indian warriors no longer exist.  Criticized and harassed by his father and tribal elders, Tommy sets out to prove he is much more than an idle dreamer.  Driven by a mysterious vision and seeking to fulfill his dream, Tommy will lead a group of rag-tag friends on an adventure they will never forget; an adventure that will find them pitted against a group of well-funded modern day terrorists determined to seize and destroy the tiny town of Finkle Creek just outside their reservation.  In War Party this one young man will find the inner strength to follow his vision, to do the right thing and prove that true Indian warriors still exist.
War Party is a coming-of-age story where dreams clash with life's harsh realities.  Tommy is a young man on the cusp of.... well, just what, he doesn't know yet, but his focus, brains and clear physical skills are harbingers of greatness to come setting the stage for future adventures.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:45:28 am by jdrew »
J Drew
  visit me at  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Re: War Party - a thriller where the Native Americans are the good guys
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:06 pm »
    jdrew,

Welcome again to the Book Bazaar and congratulations on your new book!

KBoards is a Kindle fan and reader forum.  As you browse KBoards, keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar. (You've posted your book thread in the right place; this is just our standard welcome that we place in all book threads. :)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice). 

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then. You may modify the latest post to reflect new information.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread: Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators 
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    Re: War Party - terrorists and small towns - who can stop them?
    « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01:44 am »
    Okay, so War Party is out there, selling a copy here and there.  But it is the print version that is selling best at 3 times the price.  Why?  And what does it take to get a review - anywhere?
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:01 am »
    Finally got a couple of good reviews.  I guess most people really don't want to take time to review books and I don't blame them.  Still, I'm glad to see some positive feedback.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:00 am »
    War Party is being reduced to $2.99 for the next week.
    Responses I've gotten from readers is that the book is a page turner, some people read it cover-to-cover in one sitting because they couldn't put it down.  Not sure who has that much time in a day that they can devote to reading - wish I did.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    Re: War Party - an action-suspense thriller
    « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:42 am »
    A terrorist plot is underway.  The FBI has clues but theyre several steps behind the terrorist cell.  A newspaper reporter has clues too but cant zero in on the target.  The only one who knows what the terrorists are up to is a Paiute Indian high school boy who saw it in a vision.  Nobody believes him.  Can things possibly turn out well? 

Still priced at $2.99 as an e-book.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:46:39 am »
    Still holding the price at $2.99 for a little while longer.  I hope everyone has something good to read for Memorial Weekend.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:36 am »
    Still holding the price at $2.99.  Looking for reviews - free copy (electronic or print) available for an honest review.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:32 am »
    Finally got another review at Amazon, and a good one at that.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    Re: War Party - an action-suspense thriller getting good reviews
    « Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
    A terrorist plot is underway on American soil.  There are clues but the FBI remains several steps behind the sleeper cell.  A determined journalist has clues too but cant zero in on what or where the terrorists will strike.  The only one who knows what is about to happen is a Native American high school boy who saw it in a vision.  Who believes him?  What can he do? 
    « Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:13:36 am by jdrew »
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:48 am »
    A terrorist plot is underway on American soil.  There are clues but the FBI remains several steps behind the sleeper cell.  A determined journalist has clues too but cant zero in on what or where the terrorists will strike.  The only one who knows what is about to happen is a Native American high school boy who saw it in a vision.  Who believes him?  What can he do? 
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:35 am »
    Terrorists with a lower profile target and they actually plan to get away with it.  Bad news for the people who live there.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 10:12:13 am »
    Here's a short excerpt from War Party.  A larger sample is available at my website.

He sprinted up the last stretch of the footpath and pulled open the creaky wooden door.  The leather hinges sagged reminding Tommy again of needed repairs.  He entered the old house.  Light from the morning sun filtered in through the streaked windows in slivers of gold.  Grandfather stood in the kitchen, banded in the sunlight.
    Tommy, he said with a warm smile the minute he recognized his grandson.  What are you doing here?  Arent you supposed to be off running in the morning?
    Tommy plopped down on the threadbare couch with his back to his grandfather.  Yes, but theres something important I need to talk to you about.  I ran here instead.
    A long run, muttered Grandfather.  It must be important.
    The old man hobbled out of the kitchen, leaning heavily on his cane.  Stiffly he made his way to his favorite rocker and eased himself into it.  Gently rocking back and forth he studied his grandson. 
    Maybe, said Tommy, pausing to collect his thoughts, noticing that his grandfather still wore the same jeans and shirt that hed had on the last time.
    Without knowing where to begin Tommy said, Where do visions come from?
    Grandfather gave Tommy a quizzical look, thought for a minute and then said, The Universe is a strange place, filled with things we cannot see or touch; things that are connected in ways that we do not understand.  Through those connections we get glimpses of things that were or that may be.  We call them visions.  Other cultures have other names.
    It was an answer that didnt help, thought Tommy.  Hed try a different approach.  Can you have a vision without going on a quest?
    Why?  Do you think you had a vision?
    Maybe, thats why I came.  To ask you.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:20 am »
    A short excerpt was in my previous post.  A larger portion is available for free download at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com and there is a Goodreads giveaway in progress which is for the print version not e-book. 
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:50:54 am »
    For an excerpt from War Party, info on future projects, excerpts from my other published works and scheduled appearances visit my website at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:01 am »
    Terrorists have a plan.  The FBI cannot figure out exactly what that plan is.  A newspaper reporter has some clues but not enough to solve the puzzle.  How can a bunch of Native American high school kids do what the FBI cannot?
    Find out by reading War Party.
    For a sample and information on my other published works visit me at my website, www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.  To buy War Party today, use the links below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKMFNCM   Kindle edition
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1480151998 paperback edition
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKMFNCM  Amazon.com.uk
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/war-party-j-drew-brumbaugh/1114707174?ean=2940016243085&isbn=2940016243085  Nook edition
    http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/War-Party/book-sRO-9Mcns0Kd4kmz-rXjBA/page1.html Kobo edition
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id622381135 Apple edition
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 09:08:22 am »
    Four characters all wrapped up in a plot that dashes to the conclusion.
    Excerpts are in previous posts.  A larger sample can be found at my website - link is below.
    Have a great weekend.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 07:02:08 am »
    In a world where dreams are belittled and apathy has become a staple, War Party proves that one unlikely hero can still make a difference.  Tommy Galiwee, a native-American teen, wants desperately to be a warrior despite having been taught that Indian warriors no longer exist.  Criticized and harassed by his father and tribal elders, Tommy sets out to prove he is much more than an idle dreamer.  Driven by a mysterious vision and seeking to fulfill his dream, Tommy will lead a group of rag-tag friends on an adventure that will find them pitted against a group of well-funded modern day terrorists determined to seize and destroy the tiny town of Finkle Creek just outside their reservation.  In War Party this one young man will find the inner strength to follow his vision, to do the right thing and prove that true Indian warriors still exist.
    War Party is a coming-of-age story where dreams clash with lifes harsh realities.  Tommy is a young man on the cusp of. well, just what, he doesnt know yet, but his focus, brains and clear physical skills are harbingers of greatness to come setting the stage for future adventures.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:05 am »
    The world has gotten smaller.  Recently War Party brought responses from India and Japan.  Also I got a nice personal note from someone in CO who said they liked it so much that they read it straight through without stopping.  Every single reader is appreciated, even more when they provide feedback like this.
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:06 pm »
    There really isn't anything quite like positive reviews.  Readers opinions are just about the most important thing to a writer, without readers, authors really aren't very useful.  Rated 5 stars by this reviewer - see below.

"I really enjoy the book, and I think the best way to open my review is with citation from the prologue of the book:
    "In any free and open society there exist individuals who believe they can further their own ideological believes by causing injury and destruction to person and property. these individuals seek to remain invisible in the midst of citizenry, even as they concoct violent schemes against their neighbors...."

So... who are the heroes that are going to stop them or give hand when the harm is taking place?

"....Often they arise from the same unsuspecting people. They are individuals ordinary in every way expect that at the crucial moment, when fate force them to make a decision, they manage to over come the shock and fear to do something noble..."

As we all, unfortunately aware, lately there had been too many terrorist incidents in the US and outside...and the reasons went from religious and revenge to pure madness....But no mater murder is a murder as, no body has the right to kill somebody else.

In the book we find references to the issues as big system like FBI CIA and homeland security have in pinpoint and prevent them.

We also find introductions to different cultures. I really loved to learn a bout American natives in general the Pauite culture In particular. (literally fell in love in the rainbow warrior aspect).
    I hope that the people in the rez's will have more pride in there heritage, which can teach us the "palefaces" much about harmony with nature and between people.

Most recommended!"

Links are below or visit my website to see what else I'm up to.  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 11:02:33 am »
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:06 am »
    War Party
    Read more at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Or buy a copy and read the whole story.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKMFNCM   Kindle edition
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1480151998 paperback edition
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKMFNCM  Amazon.com.uk
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/war-party-j-drew-brumbaugh/1114707174?ean=2940016243085&isbn=2940016243085  Nook edition
    http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/War-Party/book-sRO-9Mcns0Kd4kmz-rXjBA/page1.html Kobo edition
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id622381135 Apple edition
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    Re: War Party - an action-suspense thriller - on sale now
    « Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:45 am »
    War Party is on sale for a limited time.  Here's a sample.

Tommy Galiwee gripped the horse's ribs firmly with his knees and raised himself up high enough to scan the landscape ahead.  His dark eyes burned with fire, his long black ponytail swished in the hot, dry breeze that kissed his dark cheeks, cheeks that already bore traces of weather lines.  Legends of Geronimo filled his head.  For the moment, Tommy envisioned himself as a proud warrior contemplating his enemy and the ensuing battle.  Somewhere hiding among the rocks up the dry wash the white cavalry waited in ambush.  An adrenaline rush surged through Tommy's veins.  The thrill of battle seized him as it did every time he fought the enemy in Cavalry Canyon. 
    Glancing behind him at the imaginary war party waiting for his signal, he raised his right arm high, holding his bow proudly overhead.  With a loud war whoop, he dug his heels into Chief's flanks and the dusty tan, old mustang charged down the dry riverbed.  The horse still had some spunk in him and, drawing intensity from his youthful rider, was momentarily transformed into the warhorse of Tommys fantasies.  While his body rose and fell in tune with the galloping horse, Tommy deftly brought his bow down to ready position.  Expertly he pulled an arrow out of his handmade deerskin waist pouch and nocked it in his well-used Bear 60-lb compound bow.  He drew back ready to fire on the first white soldier he saw. 
    Griping the modern bow, Tommy wondered whether the Apaches could have held off the white onslaught a bit longer if they had had bows like this.
    Down the deepening draw they flew, the walls climbing up around them.  Interspersed between the gray, dried scrub brush, black boulders of volcanic rock littered the dry riverbed forming a natural obstacle course.  Tommy loved to race through the twists and turns on Chiefs back.  The pair dashed down the center of the wash, gliding left then right as they weaved around the bigger rocks.  Chief flowed over smaller rocks in the middle of their path, sailing over them as if he could fly. The faithful horse drew strength from somewhere; his old bones always seemed to grow younger when Tommy took him out for war games.  Maybe the horse, too, dreamed of battle.

For a larger sample from War Party or samples from other works visit my website at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Or to buy War Party at Amazon in the USA
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKMFNCM
    In the UK
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKMFNCM
    For Nook at Barnes and Noble
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/war-party-j-drew-brumbaugh/1114707174?ean=2940016243085&isbn=2940016243085
    Or at the Apple store
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id622381135
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 11:33:20 am »
    War Party sale has only a few days left.  Save $3.00 if you buy before the end of the year.
    For a sample from War Party or samples from other works visit my website at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Or to buy War Party at Amazon in the USA
    In the UK
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/war-party-j-drew-brumbaugh/1114707174?ean=2940016243085&isbn=2940016243085
    Or at the Apple store
    J Drew

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
      • Author's website
    « Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 10:11:06 am »
    December sales were the best month yet for War Party as readers took advantage of the lower price.  Therefore it stays at $1.99 for a few more days.  Thanks to all those who bought a copy.  Feel free to let me know what you think of the book after you've read it by using the contact button on my website at www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com.
    Here are links to buy War Party.

at Amazon in the USA
    In the UK
    Or at the Apple store
    J Drew

KBoards.com

• Advertisement