Author Topic: Amazon hit my price point!!  (Read 911 times)  

Offline Malweth

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
Amazon hit my price point!!
« on: October 19, 2009, 04:37:31 pm »
Amazon finally hit my price point! I got my 1st Gen Kindle last Thursday (I even paid the extra $3.99 for overnight shipping). I'm pretty well used to the interface and accessory software for it now. I have a lot of old e-books that I've been busily converting over. I used to read nearly exclusively on a PDA (originally a Palm III, then a Tungsten and finally a Dell with Windows Mobile). The Kindle is a bit different, but so far I'm more pleased with it than the PDAs. It does less than mini-Windows, but what it does it does better!

Now that I have a family (two kids, the youngest 1.5 mo old) I don't buy quite so many toys (of my own) and those I do buy I lust over for months or years. The Kindle is one of those, but its original price -- and subsequent price drops -- kept it pretty well out of range. I do save coins (which all go to Amazon via Coinstar) and get my Visa rewards in Amazon GCs, so the $150 refurb K1 was just about perfect. (Saving more than that is tough - with my book buying habits). In fact, that range will keep me in a Kindle if they last at least a year or two. Some of the accessories are already on my Christmas list -- an Oberon cover and a Kindle book light.

I don't buy a lot of "reading" books any more, as I've been without a good reading medium for a while. That should change somewhat. What books I do buy are usually related to my Masters degree in Electrical Engineering (nearly finished) or for work (Cisco Press, etc). It will be nice to have some of these options on the Kindle -- I've already successfully converted one I had in other formats. The Kindle will be a lifesaver for trips, though -- my wife can attest to my insane packing habits (easily up to 30 lbs of books)!

I've mainly been in the Fantasy / Sci-Fi genres, though suspense novels (the latest Dan Brown I read in about 2 days) tend to keep me happy now. I also like many classics (they're free - so I'm sure I'll be reading some "fine" literature). I'd like to find new books to read.

I haven't done much writing, but since I heard about it a couple of years ago I've wanted to try the NaNoWriMo. School has gotten in the way, but if all goes well I'll be writing in it next November.

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit!
Code: [Select]
My life is made of patterns
that can scarcely be controlled.
                   -- Paul Simon

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Re: Amazon hit my price point!!
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:43:25 pm »
    Malweth,

great introduction!  Congratulations on your Kindle and welcome to KindleBoards!

Lots of good recommendations for books in the Book Bazaar and the Book Corner--many of them free or nearly so, so you'll never be without a book to read!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:46:40 pm »
    Ramble away; we love it.
    Welcome to KindleBoards.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:15:38 pm »
    Welcome to kindleboards, and be sure and share your free book finds with us.  I have found most free books and "good price" books are actually better than some of the touted best sellers.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:28 pm »
    Welcome to KB! =)

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:05 pm »
    Howdy Malweth and welcome! Congrats on getting your Kindle!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Kindlboards. A fellow member, Instint, has a great 'getting started' post. In addition to his 'getting started' post, as I've gone along, I've found a couple of extra ways to keep up with freebies & bargains for the Kindle:

(1) I've got Kindleboards' "The Book Bazaar" bookmarked on my FireFox 'Bookmarks Toolbar' (that way it's "front & center" all the time for a quick one-click). Then anytime of day I can click there & "immediately see" whether there have been any new posts to the current months' "Free E-books:<name of current month>" and "Bargain Book Finds:<name of current month>"

(2) I also use RSS to feed several blogs into my Google Reader (with a special folder just for ebooks) that are known for trolling for free books; I check these through the Reader several times a day (just a quick glance can tell me whether there is anything new to take a look at; many of these are mentioned in Intint's "list of additional sites for Book Lovers"):
    Books on The Knob
    Finding Free eBooks
    Free Books Plus
    Suvudu Free First Book Library

(3) and the post Free & under $1 books available from Amazon

I sure hope you enjoy Kindleboards as much as I do.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:50:20 am »
    We are so glad you found KindleBoards, Malweth! We have many areas that you probably will like. Have you been to The Book Corner yet?  That's the area for discussions about books (naturally). That's also where you will find threads about books Recommended by our Members and a list of additional sites for Book Lovers.
    Then there is the Book Bazaar where our member/authors post about their books and hold discussions about writing, publishing and many other topics. That is also where you will find Bargain Books and even Free Books threads where you can find reading material at low or no cost!
    If you have a question about your Kindle or it's usage, check out the FAQ or the forum about Tips, Tricks and Trouble Shooting . Or, just ask your question. We have many helpful and knowledgeable people here at KB  and we feel there is no such thing as a "dumb" question.
    Another popular place is Let's Talk Kindle, where all things in the Kindle world are posted about. Be sure and check out the Photo Gallery, where pictures of members, pets, flowers, landscapes or just almost anything interesting can be found.
    Have you been to the Accessories area? There you will see information about covers, skins, lights, bags, stands and many other items to allow you to personalize your Kindle.
    Looking to just kill some time while you are waiting for your Kindle or if you have your kindle, want to try something different? Try INFINITY Game - Word Association or The "INFINITY" Thread: KEEP POSTING...Ready, Set,... GO!!! in the Not Quite Kindle area.
    Sorry for the long post, but there is just so much to do, learn and like about KindleBoards that I just get carried away. :)
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:01:28 am »
    ditto...what he said. ;) Welcome.
    Fight the Battle-Win the War

KBoards.com

• Advertisement