Author Topic: Outlander Overload!!  (Read 4931 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
Outlander Overload!!
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:03 am »
You know you need a break from reading the Outlander series when this happens to you:  Last Sunday, I went with DH to a Rock/Gem/Mineral show.  While there, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen for almost 20 years and he was telling us that he has been buying gemstones because he's afraid our economy might "go south".  He said, "I plan on using them if our current currency loses its value."  And my very next thought was.... or you could use them to help you through the stones.  I thought.... OH NO!!  My brain has turned to parritch.  But, dinna fash..... it may be four more years before the next Outlander book comes out and you'll re-read the whole series once again.  There is hope that my Outlander brain might return to its pre-Outlander condition before then.
     Anyone else have Outlander brain after these last 10+ months??   ::)    Dinna fash.......

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    Re: Outlander Overload!!
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:51:26 am »
    That is too funny.  I have read enough books in between that that hasn't happened to me. 
    I'll keep that in mind though when I get back to the series.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:22 am »
    Oh, yes.  I absolutely know what you mean.  I'm rereading all the Stephanie Plums to "cleanse my palate." 

Offline stitchbug

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:44:44 am »
    I just barely started book 2!

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:25 am »
    I just barely started book 2!

It's good you are taking a break in between.  Our club started in December of last year and we're still discussing the most recent book.  We started out taking a week between books, but then we wanted to finish up before Echo was released.

It was great.  We had some wonderful discussions.  Even books that I wasn't crazy about took on a whole new meaning when I talked about it with the other members. 

Offline stitchbug

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
    I've been reading some of the discussions from book 1. It's very interesting to hear how others interpret things. I love book discussion!

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:16:53 am »
    I've been reading some of the discussions from book 1. It's very interesting to hear how others interpret things. I love book discussion!

The discussions have been wonderful and very helpful.  Someone would write about something I had totally missed..... or they'd post about something that made absolutely no sense to me and then it would be clearer.  It was just so fun to hear about others enjoying parts that you enjoyed.... or disliking things that you were grumbling about too.  I wasn't sure how an online discussion would work.... but Gertie was masterful in the way she handled everything for us and it's been a joy.  Keep reading with us and post when you can..... we'll be here!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:29 am »
    The discussions have been wonderful and very helpful.  Someone would write about something I had totally missed..... or they'd post about something that made absolutely no sense to me and then it would be clearer.  It was just so fun to hear about others enjoying parts that you enjoyed.... or disliking things that you were grumbling about too.  I wasn't sure how an online discussion would work.... but Gertie was masterful in the way she handled everything for us and it's been a joy.  Keep reading with us and post when you can..... we'll be here!!

Thanks, PG.  You know I've had a blast with you guys and the club. 

Maybe after the first of the year, I'll talk to Betsy about doing another club. 

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:54:36 am »
    I am considering going back and starting over with Outlander. 
    I would love to get it on audiobook.  I need to check my library.
    But I think there are so many things I missed, it would be a good
    idea to go back and read it a bit slower.
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:32 am »
    deb

I'm due for a reread soon.  I need to get back to the Outlander roots.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:27:13 am »
    deb

I'm going to re-read Outlander too after a little break  I've never tried audio books, but I think Outlander would be the perfect one to start with.  I'm going to check with my library also.  When I read Outlander this last time for the start of our book klub... I thought I needed to make all kinds of documentation etc so I'd be able to respond to Gertie's wonderful questions and everyone's comments.  I think I spent more time outlining and documenting than I did actually reading.... and it really almost ruined the book for me.... it was just too distracting.  So, I'm looking forward to just taking my time - like you, Deb - and "savoring" the book.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
    I'm going to re-read Outlander too after a little break  I've never tried audio books, but I think Outlander would be the perfect one to start with.  I'm going to check with my library also.  When I read Outlander this last time for the start of our book klub... I thought I needed to make all kinds of documentation etc so I'd be able to respond to Gertie's wonderful questions and everyone's comments.  I think I spent more time outlining and documenting than I did actually reading.... and it really almost ruined the book for me.... it was just too distracting.  So, I'm looking forward to just taking my time - like you, Deb - and "savoring" the book.

I'm sorry.  I thought I made it clear there was no obligation to answer the questions.  Yes, you must savor and enjoy. 

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:25:44 am »
    I'm sorry.  I thought I made it clear there was no obligation to answer the questions.  Yes, you must savor and enjoy. 

No.... you made it absolutely clear that the questions didn't have to be answered..... it was just me thinking that was how I wanted to approach it.  I soon changed my mind and stopped the outlining/note-taking..... and just enjoyed the reading.  I'm just a very detail-oriented (okay, anal) person but the Outlander series broke me of that while I was reading it.  WAYYYYY too many details for me to even begin to keep track of!!  I'm sure that's why I was often frustrated  when I couldn't remember a character or event.... usually I can..... but not in the Outlander series.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:53:08 pm »
    No.... you made it absolutely clear that the questions didn't have to be answered..... it was just me thinking that was how I wanted to approach it.  I soon changed my mind and stopped the outlining/note-taking..... and just enjoyed the reading.  I'm just a very detail-oriented (okay, anal) person but the Outlander series broke me of that while I was reading it.  WAYYYYY too many details for me to even begin to keep track of!!  I'm sure that's why I was often frustrated  when I couldn't remember a character or event.... usually I can..... but not in the Outlander series.

Okay.  Glad to hear it.  This is some blockbuster series. 

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:42 pm »
    I am finishing up Outlander on audio now.  It is so very good.
    I'm so glad I decided to listen to this one.
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline vickir

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:45 pm »
    The original post is just too funny. I had a similar experience once when I heard someone's name that is a planet in Star Trek and made a mention about it. Later realized it isn't a real planet, it's on Star Trek!

Offline PhillipA82

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:55:34 pm »
    lol that sounds like fun

Offline jean95404

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:40 am »
    I started the series, in what, 1994?  Have read all of them through the years.  About a month ago I put them ALL on my Kindle and started re-reading them again.  Finished the last one last week.  Two thoughts, it is MUCH easier to read them on Kindle since they are all in the 1000 page neighborhood, and two, I got much more enjoyment out of them.  I think it was because four years between the books almost requires you to re-read the previous book to get a full sense of continuity of the storyline.

For a few days after reading the last book, I admit that I was still thinking of Claire, Jamie, Bree, Roger and Jemmy as though they were people I knew in real life.   

Looking forward to the September releases of Jamie's book.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
    We had an author join the boards today, Marsha Canham.  She has a series that reminds me of Outlander.  So if you have read all of the Outlander series and you're looking for more, I'm thinking her books might be just the thing. 

WwF  DRA60

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 02:54:01 pm »
    We had an author join the boards today, Marsha Canham.  She has a series that reminds me of Outlander.  So if you have read all of the Outlander series and you're looking for more, I'm thinking her books might be just the thing. 

How interesting.  I've read two of her books. Excellent.

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »
    After posting her book here, I looked on Amazon and at the bottom of the page in the readers who bought this area it lists all of Gabaldon's books.  So I was right to connect them here.
    (I always get worried when I make suggestions.)
    deb

WwF  DRA60

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »
    After posting her book here, I looked on Amazon and at the bottom of the page in the readers who bought this area it lists all of Gabaldon's books.  So I was right to connect them here.
    (I always get worried when I make suggestions.)
    deb

I read Blood of Roses and Pride of Lions. You were right to recommend Marsha. Very good reads.

I went over to her thread to welcome her.  Thanks for letting us know.

Offline theaatkinson

• Canada
    • Fiction to the Left of Mainstream
      • View Profile
      • GonzoInk
    « Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »
    You know you need a break from reading the Outlander series when this happens to you:  Last Sunday, I went with DH to a Rock/Gem/Mineral show.  While there, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen for almost 20 years and he was telling us that he has been buying gemstones because he's afraid our economy might "go south".  He said, "I plan on using them if our current currency loses its value."  And my very next thought was.... or you could use them to help you through the stones.  I thought.... OH NO!!  My brain has turned to parritch.  But, dinna fash..... it may be four more years before the next Outlander book comes out and you'll re-read the whole series once again.  There is hope that my Outlander brain might return to its pre-Outlander condition before then.
         Anyone else have Outlander brain after these last 10+ months??   ::)    Dinna fash.......

LOL. just found this forum!

I read the series at least three times, and Outlander, at least 4 times. It's like meeting old friends, and I never re read books. must be Jamie.

I keep looking to see if it will get turned into a movie, since time travellers wife did and though TTW was awesome, any book that can coerce me into quadruple reads is an alll time hitter in my 'book'

ha.

Fiction to the left of Mainstream| Phoenix is FREE
    Thea Atkinson | get more freebies

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »

LOL. just found this forum!

I read the series at least three times, and Outlander, at least 4 times. It's like meeting old friends, and I never re read books. must be Jamie.

I keep looking to see if it will get turned into a movie, since time travellers wife did and though TTW was awesome, any book that can coerce me into quadruple reads is an alll time hitter in my 'book'

ha.

Yes, another Outlander fan. You might enjoy looking at our book club forum. We did the entire series over 10 months.  It was a lot of fun sharing the books.

Essential Entertainment picked up the movie option last November and Randy Wallace (Braveheart) did the screen treatment. There has been nothing new since.

Offline theaatkinson

• Canada
    • Fiction to the Left of Mainstream
      • View Profile
      • GonzoInk
    « Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 03:38:23 am »
    Yes, another Outlander fan. You might enjoy looking at our book club forum. We did the entire series over 10 months.  It was a lot of fun sharing the books.

Essential Entertainment picked up the movie option last November and Randy Wallace (Braveheart) did the screen treatment. There has been nothing new since.

Well now I feel like I did when I was waiting for the next book. good news, (of sorts) indeed.

Fiction to the left of Mainstream| Phoenix is FREE
    Thea Atkinson | get more freebies

KBoards.com

• Advertisement