Author Topic: Amazon sales graphs  (Read 589 times)  

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
    • View Profile
Amazon sales graphs
« on: December 28, 2019, 11:55:28 pm »
Amazon sales graphs are a little tricky.

:o

Did ya ever wonder if you're getting rooked as a author?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CatherineM

• Never judge a book by its cover.
      • View Profile
    Re: Amazon sales graphs
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:03:06 am »
    an author is what I meant.  ;D

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 04:54:03 am »
    Can you give an example of what you mean?  I have my own opinions on the matter, but not sure if what I see is what you see.

Also, you can always edit your posts, so you don't have to use a second post to correct.   8)
    Jena

Offline jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:07 am »
    I see no valid reason the Zon, or any other retailer, would screw with the graphs. There's no way it would benefit them.

There are obviously lags in reporting from time to time, which would be a natural for a massive company with overloaded servers or heavier than usual traffic.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:01:28 am »
    My question, which occurred to me again this morning is as follows:

We're at the end of the month.  According to the KDP report, my month-to-date "royalties earned" is $XX.  And yet the payment that I get from Amazon never seems to match that dollar amount.    ???
    Jena

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:08:17 am »
    I ignore the pretty bar graph, which is terribly deceptive and misleads many newcomers to the KDP platform. (Its sole value IMHO is alerting me to the crediting of Expanded Distribution sales, usually toward the end of the month but in December on the 17th. It's a red bar, very exciting.)

The graph is past-30-days, meaning that books fall off the back end as they are added to the front. Since this means that sales can actually decline over time, newbies conclude that they have been robbed of past earnings.

Then too, the graph shows orders, and not all orders convert to sales, again frightening the newbies.

Instead, rely on the Month-to-Date report, which can be trusted. (The prior month is always available through the drop-down menu.)

Happy 2020! -- NJ
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:48:25 am »

We're at the end of the month.  According to the KDP report, my month-to-date "royalties earned" is $XX.  And yet the payment that I get from Amazon never seems to match that dollar amount.    ???

And it shouldn't for two reasons. One, if you're in KU it's using an estimate KU rate that probably won't match the actual rate. Two, if you have sales in any country with a currency other than the one you get paid in the amounts you get paid from those other countries will vary from the estimate because from what I can tell Amazon uses the exchange rate in place at the time they make payment which can most certainly move over the course of two months between the estimated amount and the payout. (As opposed to Google, for example, which appears to use the exchange rate in place on the day of the transaction.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 07:33:13 pm »
    And it shouldn't for two reasons. One, if you're in KU it's using an estimate KU rate that probably won't match the actual rate. Two, if you have sales in any country with a currency other than the one you get paid in the amounts you get paid from those other countries will vary from the estimate because from what I can tell Amazon uses the exchange rate in place at the time they make payment which can most certainly move over the course of two months between the estimated amount and the payout. (As opposed to Google, for example, which appears to use the exchange rate in place on the day of the transaction.)

The vast majority of my sales (at least 95%) are in the US.  Also, only two of my books are in KU, and they're not my 'best-sellers.'  So, I'm not quite sure what that means.
    Jena

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 07:49:39 pm »

Two words: Exchange rates.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:52:34 am »
    The monthly report is what you want to go by. The graph is an estimate at best. There is a lag time between when the reader buys a book and when their payment is actually posted. Sales on the graph might have actually occurred in the previous month and sales today and tomorrow, might not be shown on the graph until January. There's a reason why Amazon pays 60 days after the month of sale. To eliminate any slow bank reporting, and to insure accuracy.

That's just one thing that could cause a variation between the graph and the report.

Another could be that the report is available on the 15th after the month of sales and reports sales from all over the world. If you were to convert those pounds and euros to dollars using a currency calculator (as I do every month), they might be a little different six weeks later when the payment is made. Currency exchange rates fluctuate constantly.

That's just two and there are a lot more. Stick to the report for accuracy and the graph for an estimate until the report comes out.
    My Bestselling, 18-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  5-volume Charity Styles Series, also bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, wherever books are sold. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
    Wayne Stinnett | Website | Facebook | Amazon Author Page | Twitter | Talk Write Podcast | Ship's Store

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 03:52:29 am »
    The vast majority of my sales (at least 95%) are in the US.

But are they? Because sales in countries without their own store are on the .com site, and they are often not at the higher royalty but the lower one. So, it looks like you'll get that 2.07 or whatever, but in reality you'll get what the royalty is at 35%.

No report gives a money amount for KU reads, we only know what those are once the rate is determined at the 15th of the month. You are only seeing "sales" totals, and that may be lower than you expect due to exchange rates and sales on .com from non-US countries.

It's confusing, for sure, and often frustrating.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement