Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 53831 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:45 am »
Hey, my new favorite gizmo is my Fitbit One.  I needed a new pedometer, and I had some gift credit so I went for it.  I know we've got others who've used Fitbits.

I love that the Fitbit software syncs up with the My Fitness Pal, too.  That app is much better for doing the food counts, which I'm trying to get better about.

And I've tried the sleep tracker, and it's made me realize that I'm really not getting enough sleep.  Anyone else use the sleep tracker?

Betsy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:16:31 am by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    Re: Fitbit Fans
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:25 am »
    I've had the Fitbit One for a few months now, but only recently have I remembered to put it on when I get up. I've had issues with getting it to sync with the Fitbit App like it's supposed to. Apparently a glitch they are working on. Anyway, I didn't know or remember that it can sync with My Fitness Pal...is it easy to set that up?? I already have that app but haven't done much with it. I will have to check that out.

I haven't used the sleep tracker. I already know I don't get enough sleep and figured a reminder would make me feel even worse. :)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:35 am »
    Which app are you having trouble synching with?  It syncs great with my iPod Touch, most of the time.  Every now and then it's slow.  But I usually check the status with my i'Touch rather than look at the thingy itself.  I have the Fitbit app for the Fire but don't sync it with that as often.

It wasn't hard to set up My Fitness Pal.  I can't remember now--I think I gave Fitbit the password for MFP or vice versa, LOL!  Let me go check...

Here's the answer from the MFP site--you authorize it from the MFP site:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/295-how-do-i-link-my-fitbit-account-with-my-myfitnesspal-account

Betsy
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:16:47 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:42:09 pm »
    DH and I both have the Zip. We do not track sleep with them. I use the old iTouch DH had as an alarm clock through through the "Sleep Cycle" app. It monitors your movements and allegedly starts the alarm when you are coming out of rem sleep. Since I'm still sleepy, I can't say that that works. But it does start soft and gradually increases the volume so I'm not jarred awake.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Online readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »
    I've lost 30 pounds since November thanks to MFP and the Fitbit Zip I got in February... really increased the activity level to do 10,000 steps daily! Unfortunately the Zip doesn't do sleep so we sleep apart. :)

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:39 pm »
    I've been thinking about the Fitbit Flex.  But I don't know.  I've got the media bombarding me with the message that I don't get enough exercise or enough sleep.  Do I really need to pay $100 for a device to tell me the same thing??  ;)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:35 pm »
    I've lost 30 pounds since November thanks to MFP and the Fitbit Zip I got in February... really increased the activity level to do 10,000 steps daily! Unfortunately the Zip doesn't do sleep so we sleep apart. :)

Good for you, readingril!  You're inspiring me!

Betsy

Offline yogini2

• San Diego, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:15 pm »
    My workplace gave everyone who completed a simple health screen with a Zip and $100.  I really like this simple device.  It seems to keep track of my steps accurately.  I used the BodyBugg for about a year and they both basically do the same thing but Zip is less obtrusive and cheaper.  (For us, free). There are other features to the BodyBugg, but the Zip doesn't have a  monthly cost to it like the BodyBugg.  The interesting aspect of Zip is that it will tell you how many calories you can still eat at any given time.  For instance, if I've been sitting for half a day and eaten breakfast, it will say something like "congratulations, you have 350 calories left to eat.  350 calories, I still have two meals to go. It lets me know that I should get off my butt and move a little or whatever food I'm going to eat is going to be a gain and not a loss.

Offline Anita

• Columbus, OH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »
    I've used fitbit for several years.  In fact right now I am wearing both the Ultra and the Flex. I've only had the flex less than a week, so I am doing a silly comparison study  ::)

Tracking sleep with the fitbit has allowed me to see how important the quality of the sleep is for me, versus the length of time spent sleeping.   Because I can *see* the some concrete evidence of my sleep length and quality I have taken concrete steps to improve my sleep quality with yoga, meditation, going to bed earlier and all of that.   I have focused on trying to improve quality over quantity, but watching my sleep patterns over time has shown that I need a certain length of sleep in order to get quality of sleep.

I have found out that after I 'go to sleep' I have approximately a 1.5 to 2 hour period of 'light sleep' before I going into a deep sleep.  Then have another 1.5 to 2 hour period of light sleep before I wake up.  That's okay, and it's normal for me - the trick is to get to bed early enough to allow some solid sleep time in between those periods of light sleep  ;D  and at the same time allow for the fact that I will wake up at least once to go to the bathroom. :(  My body goes through those sleep phases automatically no matter how I may try to circumvent it. 

When I use an alarm clock it wakes me by light, not by sound, so I pretty much always wake up slowly.  Very rarely do I wake up from a sound sleep (i.e. I don't get the morning period of light sleep), but when I do so I wake up tired and frankly a little cranky. 

What I call 'light sleep' is a period that the fitbit report shows as several short 'awake' periods mixed with short 'sleep' periods.  During those times I don't consciously wake up.  Once or twice a night I do wake up consciously and I automatically look at the clock - I have found that the fitbit report is tracking those times correctly.

Quality of sleep is as important to me as quantity. I have found that to have one without the other will leave me tired the next day. If I sleep for 8 or 9 hours, but the quality is poor I will be just as tired as only getting 4 hours of good quality sleep.

Obviously the fitbit is not a scientifically perfect method of sleep tracking, but it is a very useful tool for tracking trends.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:04:11 pm »
    I have a pedometer, and strive for 10,000 steps daily (though fail most days). I am not sure what Fitbit is.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »
    Fitbit is a digital pedometer that connects to your computer or mobile device through Bluetooth.  They have several different ones.  I'm using the "One" which tracks steps, stairs and how many calories you have burned.

Betsy

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:45:14 pm »
    Besty, I can't believe you just posted this!  My wife and I, just today, got FitBits in the mail.  She is signing up because they are having a FitBit competition at work and we're already trying to figure out all of the activities we can do to get the number of steps up. 

This is so awesome.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »
    Bryan,

that sounds like so much fun!  Keep us posted.

Betsy

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:12:46 am »
    Which app are you having trouble synching with?  It syncs great with my iPod Touch, most of the time.  Every now and then it's slow.  But I usually check the status with my i'Touch rather than look at the thingy itself.  I have the Fitbit app for the Fire but don't sync it with that as often.

It wasn't hard to set up My Fitness Pal.  I can't remember now--I think I gave Fitbit the password for MFP or vice versa, LOL!  Let me go check...

Here's the answer from the MFP site--you authorize it from the MFP site:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/295-how-do-i-link-my-fitbit-account-with-my-myfitnesspal-account

Betsy

I'm having trouble syncing with the Fitbit app on my ipad and iphone. According to their customer service, it is a known issue and they are trying to fix it. It used to work fine, but now it says it is syncing but it doesn't. I updated the app on my itouch last night and it said something about them working on the problems in the "what's new" part of the update. Hopefully they get it fixed quickly.

I connected with the MyFitnessPal app and that looks great. I love the barcode scanner for entering the foods...very handy and quick! Now if I can just get the Fitbit info to sync it will be wonderful!

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
    Betsy, In the meantime, I have been going into the Fitbit app and forcing it to sync with my Zip. DH noticed that my Bluetooth indicator doesn't turn on until I do that. There is a brief delay before MyFitnessPal app processes the info from the Fitbit app.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 04:58:34 pm »
    We're getting them set up this weekend and downloading the apps and stuff.  Then we're gonna start walking and I do intend to do the sleep tracking thing.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »
    I have the original Fitbit...and a Body Media, a Nike Fuel Band, and a regular pedometer.

The Fuel Band is worthless. It only registers about a third of the steps I take, and when I contacted Nike support the message I got was "well, yeah, it's only 80% accurate. we're working on that."  ::) The picture shows a quick test I did...I walked 1700 steps, the Fuel gave me fewer than 300.

The other three are all pretty accurate, but I like the Fitbit best. The Body Media is spiffy, but it's so THERE and makes me itch. And the Fitbit's display is such I can check it on the go, unlike the Body Media, and it's spot on as far as steps measured and the calorie burn is within 4-5% of what Body Media says I burn.

I've never tried it for sleep...I did use the Body Media at night for a long time, but it's not like it changed how I slept. On or off, I wake up a lot.

Bonus: using the Fitbit is free. Body Media...nope.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:55:05 am »
    Finally got my syncing problem fixed yesterday without the help of their customer service. They kept telling me to restart my One and remove the app and reinstall, but that wasn't doing anything. So I finally decided to set it up as a new One and start over. I lost all of the data that was on it previously that hadn't synced, but it was worth it to get it working again! Woohoo! I am loving this thing partnered with the MFP app. Love that it tells me what I have left in calories to eat for the day! Now we'll see if it translates into any weight loss over time. ;D

I tried the sleep tracker last night for the first time. It confirmed what I already knew...not enough sleep and I wake up a lot, but maybe if I keep using it I will find a pattern and be able to change something. Not real confident of that, but it is interesting to see the graph anyway.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:57 am »
    Thumper, thanks for the feedback on the accuracy, that's nice to know! 

KindleGirl--I'm glad you like MFP--I saw several people on the forum mention it and it sounded great.  I love it.  Glad you have the sync working now.  Mine hung up a couple times early on but it's been working great now.

Betsy

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:22:44 am »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:07:03 pm »
    Thanks, Pawz4me!

If I lose my One  :o I may replace it with a Flex...

Betsy

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 09:48:13 am »
    I notice there is an update for the iApp...and it also says to reboot the iPhone if you are having problems synching...

Betsy

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »
    I just bought the fitbit flex a few minutes ago! Unfortunately, it's out of stock on amazon right now, so I'm not sure when it will arrive, but I'm pretty excited for it!

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 07:40:18 pm »
    Yay, Jess!

I've been using my Fitbit to help motivate me to get walking again now that my ankle is healing. (Hairline fracture in my ankle a couple of months ago.)  Haven't gotten up to 10000 steps in a day yet, but did get to 8000 one day.

I should get the all clear from the orthopedist this week....

Betsy

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 06:04:57 am »
    I just bought the fitbit flex a few minutes ago! Unfortunately, it's out of stock on amazon right now, so I'm not sure when it will arrive, but I'm pretty excited for it!

Have fun with it! Let us know how you like it after you use it. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement