Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 53830 times)  

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2013, 02:56:24 pm »
I don't enter all that much, I guess.. that's a sedentary activity in itself.  I haven't noticed any giant amount of steps earned while driving and I do drive quite a bit.  But I'll have to check it on the speed bumps in my complex.  It also misses steps at times, too, so I figure it evens out.  I wear my One at the waist so that really isn't moving around when I drive, as a flex around the wrist might.

I have seen, rarely, the One give credit for an elevator ride.  Mostly it does not, but one time I purposely tried jjogging in the elevator while it went up 6 floors (I was alone) and it did give me I think 4 stairs.  However it fairly often cheats me out of flights of stairs I have taken, far more than any I've earned on elevators.  This may have been fixed.  Yesterday I took the elevator 5 floors to my dentist (I was late) and got no credit, but then after my appointment I went to my car and got some information for my hygienist and then I took the stairs up to floor 5 and it accurately credited me with 5 floors.  When I came home it did not credit me with going upstairs.  I've never bothered to adjust it for stairs, even the day I did 83 flights (actually a few more).

I'm going to try to log in my steps before/after a drive just to see what happens.

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: June 21, 2013, 05:28:09 pm »
    Or take a look before you drive and see what happens.

Offline corkyb

• Albany, NY
    • My yorkie angel
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: June 21, 2013, 07:03:13 pm »

You all are making me wish I ordered the one.  I ordered the flex. Mis it goi g to lg any exercise besides walking?

Plus Brookstone has royally screwed up my order and can't seem to locate my item number as an actual order,

100th person to post 1,000 times

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #128 on: June 21, 2013, 08:08:36 pm »
    If you have a fitbit account, Corky, you should be able to log in exercises besides walking (that's what I have to do with my One).

Sorry your order is screwed up!  Can you get information from your credit card company?

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: June 22, 2013, 05:39:52 am »
    Hopefully you can find the info. I linked my fitbit account to the myfitnesspal account and track through my fitness. I am going to keep track of steps before and after elliptical workouts. I read the fitbit doesn't do a good job of tracking those. And I'll have to resume exercises with weights on stairs.

Oh, I take back my criticism of the sleep tracking. It's not bad. It's kind of cool to see how often you toss and turn.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: June 22, 2013, 06:17:09 am »
    We just got back from vacation in Maryland and I have to say I definitely think it adds steps for driving. We were in the car 8 hours or so to get there and it said I had 6000+ steps when we got there. We did make stops and I did walk, but I doubt I had anywhere near that many on a day spent mostly in the car. I did look at the One on the way back though while we were driving and it wasn't adding steps at that point, but I didn't watch it a lot.

On the other hand, we logged 32,000 steps (13.5 miles!) on one of the days in DC! It sure felt like it by the end of the day too. The kids had fun guessing how many steps we had taken along the way at various times of the day. We had some Metro trips in there too, which undoubtedly added to that total, but we covered tons of ground that day so I'm not going to worry about the small number of steps it added for that. That will be my lifetime record for one day I predict. I don't plan on walking 13.5 miles per day very often!

When I exercise other than walking, I do add it into MFP since the app says it is not good at tracking that stuff. When I do the workout with weights I just add it as cardio because it is with Jillian Michaels and you definitely have your heart pumping the whole time!

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: June 22, 2013, 06:40:04 am »
    Hey Corky, have you called Brookstone customer service?
    I got my order in later than I thought I did (a different story) and had the confirmation number from the paypal order.  But I never received an "invoice" thing from Brookstone. So every time I put the order number in on their site to track it, they said I did not have an order.  It turns out they don't "put it into the system" until they get ready to ship.  And they are backordered on the flex now - expect to get a couple of thousand of them in early July.  They promise that they already have the boxes and labels done and just waiting for the goods to put in them. 
    Just to be sure though I would call them.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: June 22, 2013, 07:53:27 am »
    I would suggest on longer trips recording you are in the car. I will probably that for anything over 30 minutes but that is me.

I can see how following all of this could be slightly addictive.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #133 on: June 22, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »

I don't see a difference.. if I just note down the number before I drive and check after.  I certainly am not hitting So  Cal streets and freeways while watching a device! 

I'm in the car more days than not, driving my patients to and from treatment and I haven't noticed inflation from driving.

I have seen reports like the ones above, but I'm just not getting that result from my One.  Now if I had it strapped around my wrist, I can see where that would be more likely, but I wear mine at my waist any time I'm wearing a garment with a waistband..  I definitely get my biggest numbers when I walk, not when I drive.  And at Curves for the movement between stations.  I agree, it would be questionable to log 6000 steps while mostly in the car!!  The Metro would be interesting.. if you were sitting down the whole time.  When I was on jury duty, our courthouse has escalators for the first three floors and I got nothing from just standing and ascending but if the way was clear and I walked up while ascending, then I'd get steps and stair credit.  Just standing still I got nothing.  Again, jogging in an elevator while it ascends will convince the One that you are doing stairs since you are stepping and rising.

With the Curves equipment there are only a couple of machines that produce steps.. the stepper is one of those.  I just move around between machines.. if the center of the floor isn't busy, I'm moving around, keeping my heart pumping and logging steps. 

These devices are fascinating.

Betsy, has your scale said "hi" to you yet?

This morning Mine said "Hi" and then said to step off, then said it was thinking and something else, then produced the weight and %.

Not that it speaks out loud, mind you.  I guess this is part of the new version that downloaded the other day while I was standing on the scale.  Entertaining.. now if I would be dropping weight that would be more entertaining, though my fat% has dropped.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »
    Mine was adding steps in the car. I took it off and laid it flat but still got steps.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: June 22, 2013, 02:40:20 pm »
    And it says I climbed 52 flights of stairs. I played softball and did a lot of crouching during the game. I did some squats picking up the baby. I have not climbed any stairs.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: June 22, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
    I hadn't noticed any inflated numbers from driving on a normal day, but then I'm not usually in the car that long either. I wear mine on my waistband also and when I checked in the car the other day it wasn't logging steps while driving, so I'm assuming it would take larger bumps to cause it to count it as steps. 

It sounds like they all have their own quirks, but all in all it's a good ballpark idea of where you are at.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #137 on: June 22, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »
    Mama, sounds like yours wants to encourage you :)  Sometimes mine doesn't give me credit for a full flight of stairs (not as often any more, though.. I wrong to them and did download an update.

52 flights?  Wow!  When I did 83 I really did even more.  But it certainly sounds like you were being active and that's the main point.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: June 22, 2013, 07:56:20 pm »
    Yup. That is the point. :-)

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #139 on: June 24, 2013, 05:22:18 pm »
    Hmm, for sleep tracking you can set it to sensitive or normal (normal seems to work better) but don't see that for anything else.  Anyway, guess I'm happy with mine not throwing in massive extra numbers.

I actually remembered to check today.  I drove 5 miles, did not get anything added to my miles for the day (Some people have claimed they got miles while driving) and I got 6 free steps, possibly due to speed bumps.  I'm not worried about 6 steps out of 8000 but definitely wouldn't want addition of large numbers.

I did get the Hot Air Balloon Badge last night when I hit 2000 flights of stairs.. sounds silly but I did do a couple of flights since I knew I was that close.  Any incentive..

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #140 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:08 pm »
    Yay for the Hot Air Balloon badge!  I have hardly any badges.   :(

Betsy

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: June 24, 2013, 06:00:09 pm »
    It does a good job on the elliptical. I added the eliptical to myfitnesspal with the time I was on the machine. Right now that time is being double counted. No biggie, I am simply sticking to the lower number of calories.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: June 24, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
    It does a good job on the elliptical. I added the eliptical to myfitnesspal with the time I was on the machine. Right now that time is being double counted. No biggie, I am simply sticking to the lower number of calories.

After a short time MFP app should adjust the exercise total for you. Mine always does but it takes a short time for it to make the adjustment and show up.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:44 am »
    OK, so this thing has me doing stupid stuff, like starting laundry at 9 PM so I can get in one more flight of stairs and extra steps. Then walking a few laps in the house to get to 10,000 steps for the day.

I am really liking it. I didn't bother looking at my sleep data for last night. After 7 nights of 60-120 minutes of crying, I decided that the grand cry it out sleep experiment was over and rocked baby boy back to sleep. There is only so much that I can take and his time crying was not diminishing in the middle of the night. ugh

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:53 am »
    I am getting ready to swing over to the Fitbit side. I have only started to do my research, so I am a real newbie. I wear a pedometer, but I know it is not very accurate. I need to spend some time reviewing the models of Fitbit. Where is the best place to purchase?

With the FB One, how do you wear it to bed to track sleep patterns?
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:15:44 am by Jane917 »
    Words with Friends: Jane917

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #145 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:40 am »
    You get a flat black wrist band with a pocket and velcro closure to wear.  Works pretty well...

Betsy

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: June 27, 2013, 10:07:18 am »
    Where is the best place to purchase?

I've gotten mine at Amazon. When I was in the market, Amazon had them for the same price as FitBit, plus free shipping for Prime. My Target ad the following week also had the same price.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:41 am »
    I got mine at Amazon.  I got my Aria scale through the Brookstone/Groupon promotion posted about here.

Betsy

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:26 am »
    I got mine through Amazon. Look at them carefully, the Fitbit One is sold for $85 and $99

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: June 27, 2013, 11:12:50 am »
    I got mine through Amazon. Look at them carefully, the Fitbit One is sold for $85 and $99

I only see the $99 model.

Did anyone get extra safety leashes?
    Words with Friends: Jane917

KBoards.com

• Advertisement