Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 53882 times)  

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »
Pairing MFP with fitbit is soo convenient. It's really made a difference in how much I eat and how much walking I do. I'm up to 12,000 steps so far today. I think I might go for a walk so I can hit 15,000.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: June 28, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »
    I am not going to make my 10000 steps today. I would go for a walk, but it is 100 degrees outside.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #177 on: June 28, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
    The hubster and I tried to sneak in a walk between thunderstorms because the temp had cooled off, but then we kept talking to people we met out on the walk; they were in their yards because their power was out because of the prior storm....so we had to finally rush home to get inside.

The first storm was awesome.  One of our neighbors had a tree split in his backyard and thought it might have been lightning.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: June 28, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »
    So which model is best?  Every pedometer I've ever had has bit the dust or been horribly inaccurate.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #179 on: June 29, 2013, 12:15:30 am »
    Yep, OC.. though I lived in Berkeley three times while going to Cal, and earlier lived in Detroit, and Washington, DC and surrounding states too.

You are really on OC girl! I also lived in San Diego (born in Escondido), and went to college in Riverside.

My Fitbit is on! Why don't I have to calibrate it to the length of my steps, like I did my pedometer. I don't think my pedometer was very accurate, so I am going to wear them both for a few days just to compare.

Mine is black.

As for best model, the One is best for me.. actually when I bought mine, the One was a pre-order and the previous similar device was no longer available, I think..  and the less pricey one was and is available, but has fewer functions.

The new one (is it out yet?) is the Flex, which looks cooler but doesn't count flights of stairs and I guess doesn't have a display (which wouldn't matter to those using an I device or smart phone to check progress.  And you can shower with the Flex, but not the One.  The Flex is worn around the wrist, night and day (night if you want to sleep track).  The One can be clipped anywhere you want on your body/clothing and at night is worn around the wrist if you want to track sleep.  The One and the Flex are the same price. 
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:20:04 am by Seamonkey »

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: June 29, 2013, 05:55:02 am »
    I have the zip, which is a bit cheaper, but also doesn't track sleep or stairs, and isn't waterproof like the flex. I'm thinking about upgrading to the one, just for those extra features. Because the flex is worn on your wrist, I read some early reviews that said it wasn't as accurate, but I'm not sure if that's a common problem or not.

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: June 29, 2013, 05:59:36 am »
    I first ordered the Flex but cancelled and got the One for two reasons - 1)  I have so many cute bracelets  ;D and 2) I do a lot of stairs and the One counts them.

I got the burgundy and I wear it in my bra too.  I have occasionally put it in a pocket when I was wearing cargo type shorts.  I enjoy mine.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:29 am »
    Yep, OC.. though I lived in Berkeley three times while going to Cal, and earlier lived in Detroit, and Washington, DC and surrounding states too.

As for best model, the One is best for me.. actually when I bought mine, the One was a pre-order and the previous similar device was no longer available, I think..  and the less pricey one was and is available, but has fewer functions.

The new one (is it out yet?) is the Flex, which looks cooler but doesn't count flights of stairs and I guess doesn't have a display (which wouldn't matter to those using an I device or smart phone to check progress.  And you can shower with the Flex, but not the One.  The Flex is worn around the wrist, night and day (night if you want to sleep track).  The One can be clipped anywhere you want on your body/clothing and at night is worn around the wrist if you want to track sleep.  The One and the Flex are the same price. 

I went to Cal too, just for a couple of semesters of graduate work.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: June 29, 2013, 07:20:10 am »
    Ok.  I must report that while I got a really good deal buying my Fitbit Flex from Brookstone.....
    they are not the best in terms of keeping you informed of status.
    With the 20% off deal they got a lot of orders and went backordered right away.  The manufacturer then promised to catch up and it has taken a while.  When I called Brookstone they said that they had the boxes already labeled and ready to go the minute that the shipment came in from the Fitbit folks.  And their tracking did not work because they don't enter anything until they actually ship. 
    So I forgot about it for a while.  After all they had said early July.  Went back this morning...just because.  It turns out they shipped the 25th.  And UPS turned it over to the post office around here yesterday.  UPS site shows that it was delivered to the "local" post office this morning at 5:43am.  So maybe today or Monday.

I am already familiar with MyFitnessPal, so perhaps I can get it up and running and useful right away.  We shall see.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #184 on: June 29, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
    Yay, Geoff!  Keep us posted.

Forced myself to go out and walk today...the scale and the Fitbit are keeping me honest!  And this group.

Betsy

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: June 29, 2013, 11:08:55 am »
    I am wondering how accurate my Fitbit is. This morning I walked about 1.5 miles (before it gets HOT!), and it registered almost 4000 steps and 450 calories. No way I burned 450 calories. I have noticed that it gives me about 10% more steps than my pedometer, but I know my pedometer is calibrated incorrectly.

It is only 11AM and I am already over 6000 steps, according to Fitbit. I probably won't have any trouble reaching 10000 today, though I am not sure I am putting in all that effort.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #186 on: June 29, 2013, 11:13:19 am »
    Depending on your stride length, a mile is usually considered to be somewhere between 2000 and 2500 steps.  1 1/2 miles would then be somewhere between 3000 and 3750 steps.  So almost 4000 might not be that far off.  Does that number count only the walk, or did you put the One on when you first got up?  If so, it could easily read 4000 steps.  As for the calories, I never even look at that, can't comment.

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #187 on: June 29, 2013, 12:19:55 pm »
    I don't really look at calories either.  Once in awhile I find I'm looking at calories but thought I was looking at steps and I'm walking and nothing is happening, but then I realize my mistake.

Geoff, my Aria scale came from Brookstone that way.. slowly and with a handoff at the post office and it seemed that they made sure it wasn't going to get here early.  But it got here.

Someone Nameless.. I did look at the Flex as an upgrade but the loss of stairs was a deal breaker.  However I also have lots of bracelets I love to wear, and I wear watches so having a band all the time didn't appeal to me.  I also like the display right there on the little device and love when it "talks" to me ;)

Jane, I just got my bachelor's at Cal, as did my brother and sister in law and her brother.  My brother got his MBA there, SIL got hers elsewhere just so she'd have another degree since she was by then directing so many MDs and PhDs.  Not sure if her brother went to Boalt for law school, or not.  They have season tickets for football there, have for years.  I moved back to OC because my then husband transferred to Cal St Fullerton for his bachelors and masters and elsewhere for PhD, so I ended up back in OC.

Wish there had been FitBit when my Dad was still alive.  He walked daily 10 miles, later 5 miles and they lived on a  hill above coast highway and he'd walk down to Corona del Beach and back home, making stops  if he needed to go to the bank or something.. so he'd have been cranking up steps, miles and "stairs" from the streets that had a big incline.  And being a CPA he'd have loved all the stats.  Or not. 

Well I need to get my butt and my fitbit up stairs to get ready to go out..  I have tickets to the last concert of the season of our gay men's chorus, MenAlive and the timing (after the Supreme Court rulings this week on both DOMA and Prop 8 in California) means the guys and the audience are likely to be quite celebratory today.

Hope to park where I can walk in and get a few steps.

Betsy, on your walk where you had to keep stopping to talk to people, at the risk of seeming manic, you could jog in place while talking.. that can really add up and of course is good exercise too.

Hot outside here.. my temp thing online says 80 but it feels a bit higher. 

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #188 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:17 pm »
    Betsy, on your walk where you had to keep stopping to talk to people, at the risk of seeming manic, you could jog in place while talking.. that can really add up and of course is good exercise too.

Well, I can't really jog, in place or not, doctor's order's because my ankle (broken bone) is healing slowly.  Jogging is too much impact.  Walking is ok.  Good point, though, I could fidget.  ;D  Yesterday's walk was more social anyway--I was with the hubster and we always walk more slowly.  I expected to have to stop and talk.

Betsy

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »
    My fitbit keeps track of the total amount of calories I burn everyday, including my base metabolic rate. That means even when I'm sitting around, that number increases. Maybe that's why it seems so high, Jane? If you go to your fitbit dashboard, there's a graph of how many calories you're burning. For me, 4000 steps is only an extra 100 calories or so.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: June 29, 2013, 01:10:47 pm »

Jane, I just got my bachelor's at Cal, as did my brother and sister in law and her brother.  My brother got his MBA there, SIL got hers elsewhere just so she'd have another degree since she was by then directing so many MDs and PhDs.  Not sure if her brother went to Boalt for law school, or not.  They have season tickets for football there, have for years.  I moved back to OC because my then husband transferred to Cal St Fullerton for his bachelors and masters and elsewhere for PhD, so I ended up back in OC.

Wish there had been FitBit when my Dad was still alive.  He walked daily 10 miles, later 5 miles and they lived on a  hill above coast highway and he'd walk down to Corona del Beach and back home, making stops  if he needed to go to the bank or something.. so he'd have been cranking up steps, miles and "stairs" from the streets that had a big incline.  And being a CPA he'd have loved all the stats.  Or not. 

Seamonkey, I got my BA at UC Riverside. Started grad school at Cal, finished at U of Washington. My brother got his BA at Stanford, MA at USC, PhD at UCLA.

If you dad walked "down the hill" to Corona del Mar beach, he was quite a walker! That is quite the incline!  J

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #191 on: June 29, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »
    Oh no, that would NOT have been advisable under those circumstances!!

Yes fidgeting sometimes gains a few steps and even burns a calorie or two, I suppose.

Well, I can't really jog, in place or not, doctor's order's because my ankle (broken bone) is healing slowly.  Jogging is too much impact.  Walking is ok.  Good point, though, I could fidget.  ;D  Yesterday's walk was more social anyway--I was with the hubster and we always walk more slowly.  I expected to have to stop and talk.

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #192 on: June 29, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »
    He walked down Harbor View Drive, then down Goldenrod.. not sure of his exact route to the bridge and then down to the beach and yes, I think he took the stairs  or the driveway down.. didn't go overland.  When my mom was still walking they only went to the benches up above, then would only go on flat places, like he'd drive to Balboa island and they would walk around and then there was a day she had to wait on a bench there and that was it for her walking outside.  Up to the night before she went into the hospital for the last time, she walked a mile inside, with her oxygen, each night.  (she had COPD/emphysema).

I just got the bachelor's .. they didn't have much in terms of degrees for computer design and programming in those days but I tested into a trainee position and went from there.   I had an offer after taking the FSEE?  (I think it was Federal Service Entrance exam) to be hired and sent for a master's but it would have required re-location and I was ready to jump into something different anyway.

As for my Dad, I wish I'd been as dedicated to fitness as he was.  I'm trying to catch up now after the fact, but I'm a natural sloth. 

Off to the concert; the only official "rainbow" thing I had was a very ugly bracelet, that is remaining home and a rainbow Mickey Mouse head pin from Disneyland which I'm wearing, along with my MenAlive 10th Anniversary pin.   They chorus is so excited.. they've sent several emails (also wanting to sell more tickets, of course.. this is  new and larger venue, I guess)..

(still wincing that I suggested that Betsy JOG on her mending legs!!  Ouch.)

Seamonkey, I got my BA at UC Riverside. Started grad school at Cal, finished at U of Washington. My brother got his BA at Stanford, MA at USC, PhD at UCLA.

If you dad walked "down the hill" to Corona del Mar beach, he was quite a walker! That is quite the incline!  J

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: June 29, 2013, 01:55:11 pm »

Off to the concert; the only official "rainbow" thing I had was a very ugly bracelet, that is remaining home and a rainbow Mickey Mouse head pin from Disneyland which I'm wearing, along with my MenAlive 10th Anniversary pin.   They chorus is so excited.. they've sent several emails (also wanting to sell more tickets, of course.. this is  new and larger venue, I guess)..

(still wincing that I suggested that Betsy JOG on her mending legs!!  Ouch.)

I have several tye-dye shirts that make wonderful rainbow attire!

I am pretty sure Betsy is quite forgiving.   8)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #194 on: June 29, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »
    I am pretty sure Betsy is quite forgiving.   8)

*Betsy puts away cattle prod.*

;D

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:20 pm »
    I just got a fitbit award for climbing 10 stairs! Since I live in a one story house with 2 steps into the house, I don't see how I have climbed 10 stairs. I suppose it could mean 10 steps. I have steps 3 steps going into the garage, 2 steps off my front porch, 2 steps off my back deck. I have been to the garage several times today (we have the 2nd refrigerator there) and I have gone out front and back several times, so I suppose I could have "climbed" 10 stairs.

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
    I think the way the stairs work is that it just measures changes in elevation. So, if it thinks you're walking and your elevation changes by some set amount, it counts that as one set of stairs.  My zip doesn't have that capability though, so I have no idea how accurate it is.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: June 29, 2013, 06:06:55 pm »
    Ok so I was surprised that my Flex came today.
    The postman delivered it around 6pm.
    So no instructions with it - go to the website.
    Ok, I can do that.
    Will report the results.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: June 29, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »
    I was just notified that I walked my 10000 steps today. I don't feel that I walked that much, although I had a 1.5-1.75 walk this morning.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #199 on: June 29, 2013, 07:29:09 pm »
    I'm annoyed with myself!  I went out this evening and forgot my Flex.  And even would have gotten some flights of steps.  >:(

Betsy

KBoards.com

• Advertisement