Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 53881 times)  

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
Re: Fitbit Fans
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 11:18:48 am »
This looks like an interesting device.
And I have been using MFP and think it is a great app - but you can use the website if you just have a laptop.  The dietician at the cardiac rehab center recommended it.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 06:26:00 am »
    This looks like an interesting device.
    And I have been using MFP and think it is a great app - but you can use the website if you just have a laptop.  The dietician at the cardiac rehab center recommended it.

That's good to know that a dietician is recommending the MFP app. I am really finding it handy. I love going to the website and adding a recipe to it and letting it figure out all of the nutrition info. for me, then adding it to my daily log.

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 06:33:33 pm »
    My wife and I set ours up over the weekend.  We are now walking like crazy and dancing around the house...LOL.  It has totally sparked the competitive instincts in us and we've become active.  I have no clue how anyone gets 10,000 steps, though.  Sheesh, even walking around and then going for walks around the neighborhood, I just keep coming in around 8,000 steps.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »
    My high day so far has been 8000 steps.  But the orthopedist today said I could walk for exercise* (good thing, I'd been walking) but nothing to jar the ankle.  So I'm going to try to start working up to my 4 miles, which for me is 10000 steps.

Betsy
    *got a "non-displaced" fracture to a bone in my ankle in February; still healing.
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »
    Once I get my fitbit (still no word on when they will ship!), I'm planning to go for the 10,000 steps/day goal as well. The fitbit actually links up with a program through my health insurance, and I get rewarded for getting over 10,000 steps/day. I read that's somewhere around 5 miles, and I walk 3 miles/day just commuting to work, so I think I'll be able to get 10,000 with a short walk in the evening.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »
    The number of steps per mile varies from person to person, depending on your stride (which is somewhat dependent on your leg length).  Most pedometers that I've used have you measure a set distance--for example extend a tape measure its full length, or some other measured distance, and count the number of steps it takes to cover that ground using the stride you use when walking.  My stride is 25 inches, or roughly 2.1 ft.  10,000 steps x 2.1 feet per step = 21000 feet covered.  21000 feet/5280 feet per mile = 4 miles (or close enough).  So that's why I use 4 miles.

The important thing, though, is getting the 10000 steps.  (And if it's only 4 miles for 10000 steps, and you're already walking 3 miles, you should have no problem getting the 10K.  That's great that your health insurance has a program.

Betsy

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:47:17 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »
    I've had my fitbit one  since late last year.

It really is a great incentive to move around.. I'm more active between machines at Curves, I take stairs much more, I can do two sets of stairs in the house while I microwave for 1 minute :)

I've only been to 10K steps once, but if I get over 5K I'm happy, and usually go beyond that.

My pattern with Kindles was to upgrade often (K1, K2, DX, K3g, Original Fire, Fire HD 8.9") so why don't I have a Flex?    Stairs!!    I love that the One counts flights of stairs and my all time high day had me doing 83 flights of stairs!

I'm also not sure I want a band around my wrist 24/7.  I wear a watch daily and kind of like bracelets too.

The sleep tracker.. well right away I saw that I was getting poor sleep quality and waking up many times during the night.  My doctor asked if I wanted to do a sleep study.. not really, but I did.  I had few reasons to have one (that I knew of) but the test showed moderate to severe sleep apnea and I've been on cpap since then and sleep has greatly improved, once I got the right mask.

I just use the Dashboard on my computer and it auto synchs or I force a sync.  using the dongle and of course charge using the dongle.

I love that it alerts me to a low battery, on the fitbit, by email or on the website.

I also love the little off the wall messages that display at random times.

I've been very happy with it and the couple of times I've left it at home by accident, have felt petulant and bereft. Petulant in that I don't want to go climb stairs while waiting for a patient (several local hospitals have some great stairs to climb).. but luckily I rarely forget my little pal.

My insurance (and I think all Blue Shield medicare plans and other companies as well, but not Kaiser) pay for a basic gym membership, or Curves, you just have to go 8 times a month for them to keep paying.  And I get 2000-2500 steps going around the circuit twice (not on most machines but in between them where I dance around like a fool).

My cat is used to me dancing around at times while we play with wand toys.  She looks like she thinks I've gone mad.

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:39 am »
    I bought a good pedometer (Omron) several years ago to do the 10,000 steps thing.  After wearing it a few days, I was very surprised to find I was surpassing 10,000 steps in the course of a normal day.  Assuming it was accurate, of course.  I guess that's what walking dogs and chasing young kids around does for you.  Unfortunately, I know I'm not getting anywhere near that amount now.  Which is why I'm considering getting a Fitbit.  Or maybe I should just dig the Omron out?

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 05:38:40 am »
    Seamonkey...thanks for pointing out that the Flex doesn't count stairs. That's why I went for the One when I made the purchase last December. We live in a 2 story house with a basement so I am constantly going up or down it seems. I was curious to see how many times I made the climb. The count seems pretty accurate, although it seems to miss a flight or two here and there. Laundry days are really crazy on the stair counts!

The wrist band of the flex sounds handy sometimes, but I also don't know if I'd like it around my wrist 24/7. I like that I can pretty much hide the One while clipped on my jeans and I don't know it's there. Although I am afraid I will forget it there and end up washing it with my jeans! But since I now use it along with the MFP app to track calories, etc. I tend to remember it as I want every step to count so I can earn more calories!! I usually hit 10K steps each day unless it's a lazy day for me.

The little messages are fun but I usually miss them because I'm not looking for them. I usually catch my name but not the message before that.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:11 am »
    My Fire's TTS has really gotten a work-out, as well as the treadmill, since I've gotten the Fitbit. When I'm off I try to use the treadmill in the a.m. with whatever I'm currently reading / listening to via TTS , and I walk the dog in the afternoon on nice days to whatever my current Audible listen is. Not sure as I'll get that walk in today as there are storms predicted and the sky looks very threatening.

I really like the Zip since it uses a lithium battery and I don't have to worry about finding the time to charge it. The battery life still looks really good per the website and I've been using the Zip since February 27th.

I'm also addicted to tracking @ myfitnesspal.com. Haven't missed a day there since I started in October. If my internetz died, I'd probably become very despondent. LOL

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
    I ususally miss the message as well!  But now and then I catch them and they are pretty funny.

I live in a townhome so the stair feature is great.  It does cheat on you now and then..  last night I was at a hospital for a seminar and there was a nice stairway, open in the lobby of the pavilion building where the seminar was held (I've been to that building for a colonscopy and carotid artery ultrasound in the past) and I got there early so I was going up and down the stairs and sometimes it would give me two flights (long stairs) but sometimes just one.

One of the speakers came over to me and said I wouldn't need that part of her talk, about exercise and exercising at odd moments instead of just sitting.  She is in charge of their employee health program and also works with patients (last night's theme was individual risks for cancer and prevention and also things to do during treatment.. exercise is still very helpful).  They put pedometers on every employee!  And they get cash incentives for certain milestones like 10,000 steps.

After I was on cpap, by the way, the fitbit started reporting much higher sleep numbers and percents, fewer wake ups, etc.

I would like to think I could get more steps in if I wasn't driving cancer patients so much, but to be honest, the days when I'm not driving are sometimes my lowest days in terms of numbers, unless I'm volunteering at the shelter where I'm walking and on my feet, even working with cats.  I tend to go to Curves on days I'm out driving so that adds in numbers.

Strangest number.. I took an elevator but since I was alone, I was jogging in place for the whole ride and it gave me credit for a couple or stairs.  I do take the stairs instead often. 

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 08:36:28 am »
    I bought a good pedometer (Omron) several years ago to do the 10,000 steps thing.  After wearing it a few days, I was very surprised to find I was surpassing 10,000 steps in the course of a normal day.  Assuming it was accurate, of course.  I guess that's what walking dogs and chasing young kids around does for you.  Unfortunately, I know I'm not getting anywhere near that amount now.  Which is why I'm considering getting a Fitbit.  Or maybe I should just dig the Omron out?

The Omron is a good pedometer....I have one.  I like the tracking on the Fitbit better, but it was a pricey jump.  But I wanted the ease of tracking and synching with my iPod Touch.

Betsy

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:01 pm »
    How on earth does anyone do 10,000 steps?  Sheesh...
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
    Unless you're in a job where you do a lot of walking (a nurse at a hospital, for example), you usually have to suplement your normal walking by a walk just for exercise that makes up the difference.  I need to add an exercise walk of at least two miles in addition to a normal day.  If it's a day where I do a lot of computer work, I may need a three mile walk.

Betsy

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 04:28:47 am »
    Today, we're off to King's Dominion. Should get a lot of steps today!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 06:23:02 am »
    Yay, Liz!  Let us know how many you get.

Betsy

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 06:38:14 am »
    I actually hit 15,000 steps on Thursday! But yes, I walked 3 miles on the treadmill and went to the mall that day in addition to my normal walking around the house. The mall wasn't as much as I hoped it would be, but it did add up a bit. I was hoping that shopping was more of a workout than it turned out to be. ;D  With 4 kids to clean up after and 3 floors in the house I can usually get a decent amount just trying to keep up with things around here, but I could see how having a desk job, etc. would really squash the possibilities.

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 08:10:57 pm »
    Yay, Liz!  Let us know how many you get.

Betsy

14,492!  DH got 17,791! But we're convinced some of that are the coasters, little man didn't want to ride many so I sat out with him. Still, that's a lot of steps, and my legs are now reminding me of that.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
    I ended up canceling my order for the flex because I had no idea when it was eventually going to ship and the reviews said it could be a bit inaccurate. Instead, I ordered a zip and today was my first day wearing it. I'm loving it so far! I got it synced up with my health insurance program and myfitnesspal (which I only recently discovered) and so far today, I've walked a little over 8000 steps so taking a quick walk in the evening to hit 10,000 seems reasonable.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:10 pm »
    Currently there is a great deal on the One or the Flex from Brads deals as follows:
    Drop the price of the Fitbit Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker Flex Wristband or the Fitbit One from $99.95 to $79.95 via code MEMDAY20 at Brookstone.com. Better yet, get this $50 Brookstone Groupon voucher code for $25 and add it at checkout to cut your total to $29.95 for a net price of $54.95 plus $9.99 shipping. You cannot get either model for at least $30 more anywhere else. Sales tax is charged in most states.
    I just ordered mine and my cost was $70 which included $5.50 sales tax and $9.99 shipping and handling.  Pretty good deal.

just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 07:55:52 pm »
    Good deal, Geoff!  I'm almost tempted to get a second one for a backup!

Betsy

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
    I have been reading this with a lot of interest.  I am a Weight Watchers member, so I have been using their Active link monitor.  What I like about it is that it converts exercise to earned points which is a huge incentive.  Though, if I wasn't WW, I would probably use the Fit Bit, cause I think it has more features. 

My company has an on the move program every year in June/July and I joined this year.  They made it impossible not to join...I get free fitness center membership for those two months (company fitness center). But wait, that's not all...if I walk 6000 steps a day or exercise for 15 minutes a day and make sure I record it each week, then I get a $50.00 Amazon GC.  But wait, that's still not all....if I get 12,000 steps a day or exercise for 30 minutes a day, I get a $100.00 Amazon GC.  I have been keeping track and I am going for the 30 minute exercise.  I do about 50 minutes a day and at most am getting 11,000 steps.  I want that GC too badly.  Think of all the ebooks I can get!   :D

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 11:54:44 am »
    Oh wow, that's an awesome deal, Geoff. I'm tempted to get one of them for myself and try it out...

I am loving my zip so far! I earned a second one with the points I earned from using the first one (through Humana's health program), so I'm giving that one to my husband. I accidentally left the zip in my pants pocket on Saturday when I did laundry. It came out of the washer with a : P face on screen, which made me laugh. It was fine, thankfully. Won't make that mistake again! So far, I'm having no trouble getting over 10,000 steps every day, even if I have to do laps around the apartment in the evening (which drives my husband CRAZY). :D
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:57:25 am by ◄ Jess ► »

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:59 pm »
    Gave hubby the Fitbit Aria for his birthday. He set it up on Sunday and now the scale syncs with our Fitbit accounts. He said that our old scale was off because the Aria said he was 3 lbs less than on Friday. My weight was close. Said I went up a pound. :(

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »

Geoff, great deal!  Welcome to FitBit

I'm tempted by the Aria but my scale is upstairs in one end of the condo and my wifi is downstairs in the middle.. not sure about synching.  And I have a perfectly good scale that also gives fat % and water %.

How did I miss a BradsDeal on fitbit??  I get the emails daily..  it is tempting to buy a backup One, especially since the Flex isn't a step up, or even level, for me, wanting to track stairs.

I have to walk over 4 miles in a day to get to 10,000 steps.  I'm happy going over 5000 most days.

Now a deal on the Aria would have me snapping fast at it.  
    « Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:00:43 pm by Seamonkey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement