Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55088 times)  

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #550 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:01 am »
I have not been around this board for quite awhile! I will admit that my Fitbit One has been hibernating for a bit while I made a move and am attempting to get settled in a new home. I charged her up the other day and was glad to find out that I can still walk 10,000 steps! However, she took a tumble in the washing machine. She was only in there a few minutes on delicate cycle (I keep her tucked inside my bra) before I rescued her. She still seemed to work, so I did not worry. However, I wore her all day yesterday, and when I checked my steps last night I only recorded 147! I will try again today to see if that was a fluke, then may have to consider a new one. I am confused by all the "upgraded models" that have appeared since I bought my One. Also, it seems they are available just about anywhere now. I will have to do some price shopping. I have even seen them in Target. Any suggestions for models and best available price? I think I will go with the wrist model this time. I did not use any of the features of the One except for the steps.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #551 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:44 am »
    Jane, I would skip over the FLEX since it has no display and doesn't do stairs, but it is less expensive.  The FORCE was recalled so shouldn't be available. 

Then there is the CHARGE, which is basically a FORCE with better band.. it does everything the ONE does.  It may have some new features too.

The CHARGE HR is a charge with a wristband that is more secure, like a watchband closure, does all the stuff the CHARGE does plus heartrate.  It also does caller id for some phones (not mine).. so it does steps, calories, miles, stairs, heartrate and time.

And the SURGE is a watch with more features like routes.. much more but for me would be overkill physically, price wise and feature wise.. but for a runner with a bigger wrist than mine.. could be good.

I have the CHARGE HR and am really pleased with it.   I'm finding I have to push harder to get my heartrate up even close to desired ranges.. which my doctor says ironically means I have succeeded in exercising enough so my heart doesn't freak out just going up some stairs..

I also like that it is more secure around my wrist than the FORCE was.

I know others have experience to add to this too..   

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #552 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:04 am »
    Thank you, Seamonkey. My One seems to be working again, but now I have my mind set that I really need the Charge. I will keep checking out prices.

Jane

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #553 on: April 27, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »
    Hey, Jane!

Welcome back!  Hope the move went smoothly.

I just switched to the Charge HR after washing my second One.  At least this one won't be attached to my clothes.  I'm finding I really like it.  I decided on the HR as I really like having a HR monitor when I'm doing more vigorous exercise.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #554 on: April 27, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »
    I've been using Fitbits for about three years now! And yeah, on the sleep thing I average 6 hours recorded sleep, and usually I'm still awake for at least .5 an hour of that... sometimes 2-2.5 on a bad night...

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
    P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #555 on: April 27, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »
    Welcome to the Fitbit thread, PD!  What Fitbit do you have?

We also have a Fitbit group if you want to join.  PM me your email address if you want an invite.

Betsy

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #556 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:07 pm »
    I got a Fitbit One to replace my Fitbit One. I like the feature set of the charge HR. But I just don't like wearing a watch! So I'll stick with the Fitbit One. At least I haven't washed it yet--of course now I probably jinxed myself! But if I didn't mind a wristband, I would've gotten a Charge HR. If I remember correctly it's only $20 more than the basic charge, but has significantly more features.

That's a good idea about the phone as a pedometer. I believe my Note 3 has that capability, but I did not think of it while I was on the road. At least I gave my new fit that a good workout today. Over 6 miles, 68 active minutes, and 29 flights of stairs! And I even lifted weights after work. At least Claw is not a sluggard about getting back into things after his trip!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #557 on: April 27, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »
    Not a sluggard, indeed!

I had only 25 active minutes today but Saturday I had 263!  That is definitely NOT a typical day for me.. I walked 12 miles at Relay for Life so I WAS active!

I have my Charge HR set so I see heartrate when I tap it three times (and if I'm clapping enthusiastically..) but the time is the first thing when I push the button. 

pd, good to have another KB fitbitter!!

I like having the HR while I sleep.  So far no spikes in heartrate that would tell me my sats had dropped due to apnea.  Of course I must do a home study with  a pulse Ox to be sure but fingers crossed, all my activity and efforts and weight loss may mean I can stay off cpap and not be risking my heart and brain..

My ONE also suffered the washing machine fate.. not at my house but when I got the FORCE I sold the ONE to an employee at Curves for $20 (quite a bargain and within days the FORCE was recalled but luckily I never had any problems and wore that device for over a year until I got my CHARGE HR)..  anyway she wasn't using the sleep wristband for the ONE but clipping it to her PJs, forgot it at home and her daughter decided to do laundry and in went the PJs AND the ONE.  RIP.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #558 on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:10 pm »
    I don't normally wear a watch either, but I didn't want to keep killing off my Ones. ;D

I have my HR set to tell the time if I tap it twice.  Steps is if I push the button.  I didn't know I could set a "three tap."  Definitely will put that as my HR.

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #559 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:00 pm »
    Betsy, there is nothing official from a three tap, but I'm not the only one to find that three often works better than two...

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #560 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:28 pm »
    Betsy, there is nothing official from a three tap, but I'm not the only one to find that three often works better than two...

Oh, so it's not a separate sequence?  I use two tap and find it works pretty well.  I find a tiny gap between the two taps works best.

Betsy

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #561 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:32 pm »
    I have Fitbit One. Previously I went through two original Fitbits. I have another One hidden in a drawer in just in case...

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
    P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #562 on: April 27, 2015, 08:37:31 pm »
    My Fitbit One apparently survived its short stint in the washing machine. It seems to be working fine now. For those wearing the wrist models, does the band make your wrist sweat when it gets hot outside?

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #563 on: April 28, 2015, 12:10:41 am »
    This band is quite comfortable for me.  I don't even notice it..  it was pretty hot out today and I wore the FORCE for over a year, so through  our summer.

I did like my ONE but I had a few scares when it would come out of its little case.. luckily I always found it.

I really thought I'd never want a band but took to it right away.

Fitbit also supports the use of two different models so someone could go between a ONE and one of the band models.. say if they felt the wristband or watch model was too casual for a formal affair (lol.. this isn't something I worry about at all) then they could wear the ONE for that and the band for other times.

Of course I had always wanted heart rate without a chest strap and now I have it in the HR.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #564 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:13 am »
    Seamonkey,

how often do you charge your HR?  I notice it needs charging more often than my One, which is to be expected.  I think the guide said every five days?  I like to have a consistent "charging" day.  I used to charge my One on Sundays.  I think I'm going to charge the HR overnight on Fridays and Mondays.

Betsy

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #565 on: May 02, 2015, 05:33:54 am »
    My Fitbit One apparently survived its short stint in the washing machine. It seems to be working fine now. For those wearing the wrist models, does the band make your wrist sweat when it gets hot outside?

Mine has been washed 3 times and still ticking

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #566 on: May 02, 2015, 05:35:34 am »
    Mine has been washed 3 times and still ticking

Mine is iffy....

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #567 on: May 02, 2015, 07:18:34 am »
    Mine is iffy....

I am learning my Fitbit that went through the wash is a bit iffy too! I was a bit dismayed last night when I checked my steps and it said 1357. I had been on my feet all day! I guess I need to re-think purchasing a new model. For a few days I was convinced that all was fine.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #568 on: May 02, 2015, 09:11:45 am »
    Betsy, I'm not sure, but I think it is lasting longer if I don't check it too often.. of course at first I just had to check the heart rate constantly.

Since my charging station for my  fitbit is here by my recliner in front of my computer, which is where I am at home unless I'm upstairs in bed.. some nights or days I'll click on that gear on my dashboard and if it is halfway down I'll just put it on the charger (which is attached to an Amazon rapid charger) and top it off.  And of course sometimes it will email me telling me I'm low.. one time it actually said it needed charging right on the device and was very very  low.. Not a helpful answer in terms of actual  battery life.

My Plum small CHARGE HR is going to its new owner today.  I'm selling it for what I paid which was $142.99.. discount but then tax and maybe some shipping.  But she'd pay the full price plus tax around here and have to look for a small.

Sorry about all the flakey washed ONEs.. seems to be an epidemic.  I have a friend with one in rice right now.     

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #569 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:34 am »
    Does anyone know if you can have two fitbits attached to one account? I want the Charge but I cannot use it at work. Not allowed (don't ask, I don't get it but it is treated like a cell phone and we are not allowed to bring those into the workplace). I use my One but I really like the idea of the Charge and I want the heart rate monitor. So I would need to be able to register two fitbits on one account.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #570 on: May 04, 2015, 08:57:12 am »
    My memory is that when you add a Fitbit to your account, it tells you that you can only have one device on an account at a time. Switching is super-easy, but still may be more than you want to do twice a day.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #571 on: May 04, 2015, 09:33:33 am »
    My memory is that when you add a Fitbit to your account, it tells you that you can only have one device on an account at a time. Switching is super-easy, but still may be more than you want to do twice a day.

They've changed that, or at least you can have two different kinds of Fitbits ....there's a link earlier in the thread, and I just read it, too.  I have both my iffy One and my HR on my account.

EDIT:  thought there was a link in the thread, but couldn't find one, here's one:
    http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-use-more-than-one-Fitbit-tracker-with-the-same-account

Betsy
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:48:27 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #572 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:03 am »
    WOOHOOO I'll have to look into it

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #574 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:56 am »
    Claw (and everyone else),

I was reading the link about multiple trackers and came across this, which I didn't know!
    Use MobileTrack for iOS (tracking steps using only your phone) if you forget your Fitbit tracker at home.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/MobileTrack-for-iOS-FAQs

Designed for iPhones beginning with the 5s model, MobileTrack is a feature of the Fitbit app for iOS that uses the M7 chip in the phone to track your basic activity data without the use of a Fitbit tracker.

WHAT DOES MOBILETRACK MONITOR?

Mobile track monitors:
    Steps
    Distance
    Calories burned
    You also have the benefit of using the Fitbit app for iOS. For example you can compete with friends using the leaderboard, send those friends messages, cheers, and taunts, and set fitness goals. For more information, see Using the Fitbit app for iOS.
    MobileTrack does not monitor floors, sleep, or active minutes.

Betsy

KBoards.com

• Advertisement