Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55238 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #575 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:36 pm »
Interesting. I've been thinking of switching from Android to iOS, this may be another reason. Almost a year before I can get a new phone, though....

The past week or two has been tough on Fitbit Ones. I bought a replacement for my lost One from Best Buy about a week ago. Thursday night, the display no longer worked. It still was recording activity, still reported in when I synced. I found instructions for resetting the One, and they didn't help. Friday morning, it wasn't working at all. Saturday I returned it to Best Buy, no problem even though I hadn't kept the receipt. I was careful to get a different color in case there was a bad batch!

Then I forgot to take it to work today, *sigh*
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #576 on: May 04, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
    Yes you can deflnitely have two trackers on one account now, as long as they are different models. 

Sounds like MamaProfCrash cannot have any cell phone at work.

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #577 on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:07 am »
    Yup, no cell phones at work. Annoying but thems the rules.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #578 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:29 am »
    Actually, I can't even imagine trying to work with internet or cell phones .  We still had phones and some people still abused them but mostly, most of us were working.   Of course internet and phones are essential tools for some jobs and self employed people have flexibility but I wasn't self employed and kind of happy I had less temptation.  (But of course I wouldn't go back to not having a cell phone available and would hate to lose internet!!!)

But.. it is too bad about something like a fitbit.  Many companies are encouraging their staff to exercise, take stairs, etc.  I think it might even help with what they pay to insure said employees.  This is especially true in hospitals where some have encouraging signs about taking stairs and some have contests for number of steps and issue or provide some sort of pedometer or fitness device.

The Apple Watch and other devices that access internet of course complicate things!

All three of my volunteer jobs have rules about cell phones.  Two kind of require that we have them but one of those specifies that the phone be off when we are driving and never used while driving, even hands free (SilverStreak, which is a service where volunteers drive older seniors to various places they need to go).  The other   (American Cancer Society, where Road to Recovery drivers take cancer patients to and from treatment) doesn't mention much about cells, but it helps us communicate with our patients).  I do always have mine off when I drive.

For volunteering at the shelter, the rule is no cell phones, we should be concentrating on the cats (or dogs or bunnies, etc).  But that isn't as strictly followed.  Still we are definitely expected to not be texting and to leave the building if we have to take or make a call.. and thankfully that works.  Of course the public coming to SEE the animals are typical phone calling, texting, photo-taking humans.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #579 on: May 05, 2015, 02:13:00 pm »
    Sounds like MamaProfCrash cannot have any cell phone at work.

Yeah, I was directing my post about the cell phones at Claw and others who may be traveling without their Fitbits for whatever reason.  I was pleased to read that--wish I'd known during the time I was Fitbit-less.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #580 on: May 06, 2015, 06:07:03 am »
    I get the no devices rule at work. I don't have a problem with it except that it limits some of what we can do. So I want to listen to certain music or the like but I can't. And then I go to my gym where the 19-25 year olds who work there spend most of their time talking to each other or playing on their phones and not checking on the clients working out. It is a more upscale gym, Koko Fit Club, where you work out on your own but the trainers are there to help with form questions and to make sure people are safe. Most of the time I have to notify them when I see someone using awful form. This has been brought to the attention of the management but they don't do anything about it. The site manager is normally talking and playing on her phone and when the higher level managers are there they change their behavior.

It is amazing to see how much the world has change since the technology has come out. It is kind of crazy. People think I am nuts for not having a smart phone, I can't use it at work and I don't need it at home, and I think I can get by just fine the few hours of the day I am not at work or home. How do you live like that? I don't text, hate it. I don't need to check Facebook 24/7. I like to and when I am bored at work and my work is done I do look on it but I can live without it. I don't get the need to be connected all the time. Nor do I get the need to pay for that type of data.

We used to live just fine without checking on the score or our friends status or the news every five minutes.

Take a break to yell "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU SILLY KIDS"

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #581 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:00 am »
    I didn't use to text; but I hate phone calls so I like texting very much now.  I feel like I'm less of a beck and call girl. :D  I can answer the text at my convenience.  But I just got my first smartphone in October (inherited the phone itself).  Before that I texted on my iPad.

Enjoying the smartphone.  I keep in touch with family using Facebook.  Looking up stuff when I wonder "what's that?" Dad always said, "look it up!" :D

Poor employees are poor employees.  I daresay if those people didn't have their smartphones, they'd be doing something else to ignore their customers.  That's been going on long before smartphones.

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #582 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:25 am »
    I think with Smartphones it has gotten worse and even the formerly polite are on them.

I love technology but I can look things up on my computer.. or my Kindle Fire (but only when I'm on wifi and currently that is down at home..), I check one facebook page daily, to see what the shelter is promoting event wise and which animals were adopted that day, but I don't even have a facebook account.

I do like to play games on my Fire. 

I have a dumb flip phone which is almost always off but is essential if I need to be on call for a patient or need to call someone when I'm out and of course if I need to call auto club (AAA in other states).

It is interesting.  The annoying behavior is creeping up in age.  Our senior advocate at one hospital says she had always reminded people at an event or lecture to mute their devices but NOW there is a mass reaching into purses and pockets that didn't use to happen even just several years ago as everyone has a device.  I know I have to make sure my Fire is muted, but I know my phone is off.

And now when a phone does start playing a ring tone it is likely to be someone of any age.     

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #583 on: May 06, 2015, 08:14:01 am »
    The Charge HR sounds interesting so I did some checking and I'm having a hard time locating anything but black! Why is it so difficult locating a size small in anything other than black? Were they just released recently? I know they revealed the new ones, but I thought that had been a little while ago. I currently have the One and love it, but hate having to remember to switch it out when I change clothes. I clip mine on my pants pockets.  I'm not sure I'd like wearing a band all of the time, but I could probably get used to it.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #584 on: May 06, 2015, 08:49:11 am »
    I thought the same thing when I had my ONE but I loved the FORCE, no reaction despite the recall, and I just LOVE the CHARGE HR!!

No problem wearing a band all the time.  and if you have a ONE you can switch back and forth now that that is supported by FitBit.  I sold my ONE for $20 and the woman's daughter washed it, so no option here but that is okay.  I'm CHARGE HR all the way.

The Plum ones are being delivered from pre-orders so I'd think they would soon be available.  I sold mine for what I paid for it to a friend at Curves and she is loving it! 

I have the Small black.  Got it at Kohl's and got $30 Kohl's cash since I had other purchases and it was a Kohl's cash day.   

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #585 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:24 am »
    I would have gotten a plum one if they'd been available but now I'm kinda glad I didn't.  I think the black one is very elegant and high techy looking.

Betsy

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #586 on: May 06, 2015, 05:07:24 pm »
    Target is offering free earbuds or something with purchase of a Fitbit over $100.

http://www.target.com/sb/fitbit-sports-outdoors-featured-brands/-/N-557v0Z55dw7?ref=tgt_email_DB505061&emseq=24494945&link=fitbit

Betsy

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #587 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:32 pm »
    I would have gotten a plum one if they'd been available but now I'm kinda glad I didn't.  I think the black one is very elegant and high techy looking.

Betsy

I do like the plum one better but was hesitating on the black.  I suppose black would actually go with more clothes and not look odd. Nice to know it looks elegant...hard to tell that in pictures.  I do like the blue color they show but I don't know when that one is releasing. 

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #588 on: May 06, 2015, 07:41:30 pm »
    I like the blue as well, but who knows when that will be available. 

I'm happy with the black one and the plum is very nice as well.

I figure the function is most important. 

I had the blue (sort of) Force and it didn't match as much as my CHARGE HR but it worked well for me for a year. 

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #589 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »
    Next question....one site says a small fits up to 6.2" wrist and others say 6.5".  Can anyone say for sure what it fits? My wrist measures 6.5" so it's borderline. I don't want it tight, but on the otherhand, I don't want it to be bulkier than it needs to be either.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #590 on: May 06, 2015, 08:21:28 pm »
    I saw a post on the forum saying that they had changed the sizing chart somewhere and this person said they got one that was too small.

I have a small but my wrist is 5 1/16"  I use the third hole with 5 remaining.  I'm thinking  you might want the next size up. 

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #591 on: May 08, 2015, 05:13:53 am »
    Thanks, seamonkey. I will probably try the large, judging by reviews I've read.  It looks like Best Buy has restocked them. Now I'm just deciding if I should do it or not.  :-\

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #593 on: May 08, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »
    That was interesting and the link from there about fitbit in Ireland, the female exec there..

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/40666-wit2015

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #594 on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:37 am »
    Woohoo! My Charge HR is arriving today. Looking forward to trying it out and seeing if I like the wristband. I opted for the black one afterall. I did like the plum one, but figured the black would match more and be less noticeable.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #595 on: May 12, 2015, 05:28:36 am »
    Woohoo! My Charge HR is arriving today. Looking forward to trying it out and seeing if I like the wristband. I opted for the black one afterall. I did like the plum one, but figured the black would match more and be less noticeable.

Woohoo, KG!!!!

Wearing mine now...454 steps so far this morning (I'm doing a lot of computer work, like KB, this morning).

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #596 on: May 12, 2015, 10:23:31 am »
    Wearing mine too (but then I always am wearing it).

Glad to have another HR user around.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #597 on: May 13, 2015, 05:36:39 am »
    I got my HR later in the afternoon and it wouldn't even turn on so I had to charge it before playing. I got it up and running early in the evening so I haven't had much time to notice stuff, but I have noticed a couple of things:

1) It doesn't seem very good at counting stairs. Maybe it's a fluke so far, but I've done at least 12 sets of stairs this morning and it says 2.

2) It did a better job at logging my sleep than my One did. I was wondering if it was going to automatically know when I went to sleep because I was laying down reading before bed. Surprisingly this morning when I looked at the stats it had my sleep times exactly right!!

3) I'm loving all of the new info I can get from this thing! I know I only gained the HR info, but it seems the app has so much more info now.

I'm used to wearing a watch, but I never wear a watch when I am home. I'm hoping I get used to it, because right now I can't wait til my shower and I can take it off! It just seems to get in the way when I am doing things. Because of the hard part of the device that sits on top of my wrist, it doesn't want to bend around my wrist very well. It bows out before it actually goes down around my wrist....hard to explain but I'm wondering how people with really small wrists can wear this thing. Seems it would stick out way too far. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing all the stats it collects today!

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #598 on: May 13, 2015, 07:39:41 am »

It bows out before it actually goes down around my wrist....hard to explain but I'm wondering how people with really small wrists can wear this thing. Seems it would stick out way too far. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing all the stats it collects today!

You have expressed my concern about getting the HR. I currently have the One. My wrists are very small, about 5.75". I am afraid the small HR will still be too big.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #599 on: May 13, 2015, 08:23:15 am »
    I have a very small wrist.. just a hair over 5" at the smallest place and I wear the HR higher than that, as recommended and even beyond where the band rests I measure 5.5" at most.  Yes it bows out a bit but it is stable and hasn't been a problem for me (and I also worried about it).  I use the third possible hole toward the center.

The friend who has the plum HR I sold her has a small wrist as well and is totally fine with hers.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement