Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55090 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #600 on: May 13, 2015, 08:42:54 am »
They recommend wearing it as high as three fingerwidths away from the wrist, and probably farther is fine, too.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #601 on: May 13, 2015, 09:12:02 am »
    I'm at least two fingerwidths and sometimes move it a bit higher up.

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #602 on: May 13, 2015, 10:58:45 am »
    I have a Charge HR since Feb & I love it! I didn't realize how few steps I was doing in a day just working on the computer & piddling around the house. The fitbit definitely keeps me in check & makes me get up and move more!

Betsy, sent you a request to the fitbit group.  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #603 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:22 pm »
    Yeah, the directions recommend 2-3 fingers above the wrist when exercising to better get the heart rate, but otherwise it says to move it down the wrist.  Mine sits slightlly above where I would wear my watch.

It definitely isn't counting steps accurately today. I'm a little disappointed in that aspect. Since I have 3 levels here I am doing steps all the time so it's nice to know how many I've done each day. Anyone else notice this problem?

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #604 on: May 13, 2015, 02:20:55 pm »
    I assume you mean stairs..  there are times I definitely don't get all the flights of stairs I should, especially at home.  The little altimeter is supposed to give you a flight if you go up 10 feet all at once, but it just doesn't always do it.  Sometimes it seems to help if I keep walking after I get upstairs and raise my arm as I go.  This may be superstition, though. 

Sometimes  you can get free stairs if there is a really windy condition.. something about pressure.  They say altimiters are only so accurate, even in aircraft..

My friend with the plum HR I sold her has gotten a few stairs and hasn't done any, but only a very few.

I try not to mourn the lost stairs and keep doing stairs.  I'm only at 12 so far today.  I did 8 floors/16 flights at the hospital while waiting for my patient to have radiation today.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #605 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:27 pm »
    That is such a cute corgi, Kindlegirl!!

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #606 on: May 13, 2015, 03:22:29 pm »
    Sometimes  you can get free stairs if there is a really windy condition.. something about pressure.  They say altimiters are only so accurate, even in aircraft..

I didn't realize that! My mom is got credit for 25 floors the other day and she didn't do any! She did walk about 6 miles outdoors though & it was a windy day.

Speaking of floors, I earned 3 new badges yesterday.... Lighthouse, Ferris Wheel & Helicopter!  ;D I was tempted to go for the 100 floor badge but was just too tired... maybe one day when I have more spunk. lol  ;)

I don't always get credit for floors either, I know that I was shorted 2 floors today for sure.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #607 on: May 13, 2015, 03:32:26 pm »
    I almost never get the floors when I wake up in the middle of the night and head downstairs to the bathroom and back up to bed.  I guess it thinks I am sleeping.  Well actually it knows I am not sleeping.  Not a big deal.

I've done the 100 floors in a day once but that is pretty rare.  A bunch of those were also two at a time.  I do that when I have two reachable railings.  Does more for arms, legs and cardio.  My doctor says that is great but try not to lean forward too much.. so I try.  And of course when I'm done, I go wash my hands after all that railing gripping. 

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #608 on: May 13, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »
    Wow, that's awesome Seamonkey! My goal is to accomplish 100 floors at least once.  ???  One stair at a time is hard enough for me, no need to do two at a time, lol.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #609 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »
    I only do that on certain stairs..  not at  home where I have NO railings. 
    But for going from the basement to 7th, for example, at a hospital, two at a time is actually better for me than one at a time.  But of course I worked up to that!

You will get to 100.. seems like you are pretty close already.

I'm amazed by some people who do that regularly!!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #610 on: May 13, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »
    I got 100 flights of stairs in one day one time. I doubt I'll ever do that again! I've gotten over 50 flights several times, but it's still not regular. I do frequently get in the 20s or 30s . My Fitbit is pretty accurate on stairs I seldom if ever don't get credit. Occasionally it gives me credit that I don't deserve I will have 20 or more flights of stairs added when I have Not climbed any. Occasionally I think it is from elevators every once from a bus ride. The bus ride, which was up to Machu Picchu, gave me credit for over 200 flights of stairs in 30 minutes! :)
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #611 on: May 14, 2015, 06:00:39 am »
    That is such a cute corgi, Kindlegirl!!

Thank you, Seamonkey. She was our sweet little Leah. We lost her in December and miss her every day.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems with stairs. I find it funny that people are getting credit for stairs they aren't even doing, yet I can't get credit for the many that I do! :D I did google it yesterday and they appear to know they have a problem with it counting too many for people and are working on an update. That doesn't help me, but at least it will help all of the others. I'm not sure what to change to help make mine count. It is what it is I guess.

Can you wear both the One and Charge at the same time or will it confuse the app? I just want to compare the readings. I know there will be some difference, but not sure I'm getting all the steps either because when I'm walking around the house I'm usually carrying things and my arms aren't swinging. It seems if my arms are bent and not moving, it's not counting steps. I'm really liking the Charge HR, so I'm hoping I can get it to be relatively accurate. Being off a little doesn't bother me, but big differences would.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #612 on: May 14, 2015, 07:08:15 am »
    Yes, you can wear them both at the same time.  I wondered about this, and also wore both of mine on the same day, but apparently the software is smart enough to know that and compensates, 'cause it didn't double my steps.  I also found somewhere where they say that, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:  I don't think this is the thing I read before, but it does talk about the compensation, though they also say they don't recommend wearing more than one:
    http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-use-more-than-one-Fitbit-tracker-with-the-same-account

Betsy
    « Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:11:13 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #613 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34:42 am »
    Awhile back, Betsy mentioned that some smart phones could track steps and provide that information to the Fitbit app. I looked, and it ends up that it is mostly only users of new iPhones who can do this. There is only one Android phone that can do this, and it is an obscure one. More info here:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/MobileTrack-compatibility/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #614 on: May 14, 2015, 08:42:00 am »
    Thanks, Claw!

It works quite well on my iPhone 5S, by the way.  I had to leave my HR home yesterday as it needed charging--but I still got credit for the steps at lunch out!  So yay!

Betsy

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #615 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »
    That is nice for IPhone people..   I don't want to say iPhonies because some of the nicest and unphoney people have them...

I know you can alternate wearing two different trackers but interesting that you can wear both and it doesn't double..

I think stairs have been somewhat flakey as long as I've had a FitBit.. which I guess is only coming up on 2.5 years.  I think I got my ONE in December 2012 

I just know that it really encourages me to move more and was one factor in my weight loss.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #616 on: May 15, 2015, 05:28:33 am »
    Yes, you can wear them both at the same time.  I wondered about this, and also wore both of mine on the same day, but apparently the software is smart enough to know that and compensates, 'cause it didn't double my steps.  I also found somewhere where they say that, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT:  I don't think this is the thing I read before, but it does talk about the compensation, though they also say they don't recommend wearing more than one:
    http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-use-more-than-one-Fitbit-tracker-with-the-same-account

Betsy

Thanks for the info, Betsy. I'll be curious to see how they compare.

My One has always been pretty accurate with the stairs. Maybe I can train my Charge HR to start counting them better. :D

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #617 on: May 15, 2015, 05:39:20 am »
    Awhile back, Betsy mentioned that some smart phones could track steps and provide that information to the Fitbit app. I looked, and it ends up that it is mostly only users of new iPhones who can do this. There is only one Android phone that can do this, and it is an obscure one. More info here:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/MobileTrack-compatibility/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle
    That is nice for IPhone people..   

I'd suggest that the Android folks contact Fitbit and ask for it to be available on more devices:
    http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #618 on: May 15, 2015, 08:47:15 am »
    Betsy, I don't have any smart phone and so my encouragement was always for KINDLE FIRE apps.. which have improved some since I started.. at first they didn't work so well at all.  But to be honest I mostly just use the dashboard on my deskop anyway.

And I do like the information it provides.

I keep reminding myself that what is important is that I do the work, walking, working out, stairs, good nutrition,  and not what I get credit for doing.  But those numbers and stats and graphs are so alluring  :P
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:49:28 am by Seamonkey »

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #619 on: May 15, 2015, 09:11:58 am »
    I keep reminding myself that what is important is that I do the work, walking, working out, stairs, good nutrition,  and not what I get credit for doing.  But those numbers and stats and graphs are so alluring  :P
    I think that this may be the main reason that I prefer the One and wearing it where I do not have easy access to it (center of chest inside clothing). I think that results in me focusing on my activity and not the FitBit. I think that I would be too distracted by the visible technology. ;)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #620 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »
    Of course everyone is correct that it is the activity that counts, not the numbers ratcheting up on your little Fitbit. But those numbers are such a great motivator , and I know that watching them encourages me to do more of the activity that I really need! Ain't the human mind wonderful sometimes?

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #621 on: May 15, 2015, 03:45:20 pm »
    Well when I had my ONE, I was checking it all the time anyway...

And they are great motivators! 

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #622 on: May 15, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
    Kindlegirl, it is such  a loss, isn't it.??

That picture I use is not my current cat, Katniss, though she is a similar, but larger fluffy black cat, but that is my old Critter, who lived almost 23 years and was the sweetest cat, ever.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #623 on: July 15, 2015, 08:38:24 am »
    As of a couple of hours ago, there was a deal for Prime members for a  $25 credit buying a Charge HR. If you are a Prime  member and want a Charge HR, this may be your moment.

I bought a Charge HR from Amazon a week ago.  I called, and they gave me a $25 credit anyway! Bravo Amazon!

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #624 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:40 pm »
    I love that you got that deal, Claw!!!  I really like the HR and that is a nice deal on it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement