Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55275 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • DH and me
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #650 on: March 20, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »
I am still using my FitBit One but it is not a watch. I wear it on the center inside front of my bra during the day and in a wrist band at night. I participate in challenges via the phone app and like the sleep tracker.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #651 on: March 20, 2016, 09:18:21 pm »
    Oops.  I did not realize fitbit had other devices than watches.  I don't have anything fitbit but thinking about getting a watch.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #652 on: March 20, 2016, 09:41:56 pm »
    I think that most Fitbit devices are worn on the wrist. However I wanted one that I could wear where I could forget about it most of the time. :)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #653 on: March 21, 2016, 05:41:49 am »
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR that I wear daily.  I don't use the HR function, but I got that particular one because I could get it in purple (go ahead and groan, it's OK).  The software was rocky on my Android phone for a while because it wouldn't sync reliably unless the phone was restarted daily.  But after a few Android updates, it's much smoother.  I also have to mention that their customer service is pretty awesome.  I started having trouble with my band because a charge was lasting maybe a day instead of 5 days and they sent a replacement to me.  Now I am still in my original warranty, but it was nice of them to be so responsive.  Since I purchased it from Amazon I also went ahead and got the extended warranty for a little more $$.  The band is pretty stiff when you first start wearing it, but it softens up pretty quickly.  This one also has a small display and you can customize what you see on it when you press the button.  My first screen shows the time and the date so I don't need a separate watch - that is an advantage over my UP24 that I had before.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #654 on: March 21, 2016, 08:14:55 am »
    I wasn't as lucky with the customer service.  My Fitbit One was just out of warranty when I started having problems with it. I contacted them and she wasn't really interested in helping me troubleshoot. She mainly wanted to send me a coupon for a small discount on a new one. That turned me off, so I ended up with an Apple watch. I felt like the One was a good tracker, but forking out another $75 for another year of use didn't sound good to me. I also have the Charge HR but I don't feel it tracks anything very well so I don't use it.

mlewis...I got my Apple watch for $249 and I've seen it on sale for that everywhere lately. It is more expensive than the Fitbit, but it does more...if you are looking for that kind of thing.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #655 on: March 22, 2016, 12:17:49 am »
    I was near an Apple store today, so I went in and looked at their Watch.  I think the lowest price through Apple was $349 [now I see that the 38mm sport one is $299 -- is this a price drop with the newer watch? -- they didn't have the prices on the display at the Apple store Monday] and I didn't think it was worth that much, although if I used many of the features I might like it. 

I saw the lower-priced bands on Amazon.com. 

I don't need this. Don't need this. Don't need this.  [keep saying to self.]
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:48:12 am by mlewis78 »
    New York, NY
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #656 on: March 22, 2016, 12:25:45 am »
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR that I wear daily.  I don't use the HR function, but I got that particular one because I could get it in purple (go ahead and groan, it's OK).  The software was rocky on my Android phone for a while because it wouldn't sync reliably unless the phone was restarted daily.  But after a few Android updates, it's much smoother.  I also have to mention that their customer service is pretty awesome.  I started having trouble with my band because a charge was lasting maybe a day instead of 5 days and they sent a replacement to me.  Now I am still in my original warranty, but it was nice of them to be so responsive.  Since I purchased it from Amazon I also went ahead and got the extended warranty for a little more $$.  The band is pretty stiff when you first start wearing it, but it softens up pretty quickly.  This one also has a small display and you can customize what you see on it when you press the button.  My first screen shows the time and the date so I don't need a separate watch - that is an advantage over my UP24 that I had before.

I like the plum one.
    New York, NY

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #657 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:53 am »
    I think that most Fitbit devices are worn on the wrist. However I wanted one that I could wear where I could forget about it most of the time. :)

I had a One.  I did the same thing--clipped it to my bra.  However, after washing it a few times, it quit working.  ;) That's when I switched to a wristband.  Love my Charge HR.

I also have an Apple Watch.  Love that too for other reasons, though the health data is good, too.  Torn between my HR and the watch.  I put the HR on when I go for long walks.  THere was an app that supposedly updated my Fitbit account with Apple Health data, but that hasn't been working lately.

As far as Fitbit customer service--I have the Aria scale.  It was out of warranty, but stopped working one day.  I called customer support to see what I should do and they sent me a new one!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #658 on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:09 am »
    And apparently the Echo now has a Fitbit skill.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am definitely turning that on soon to see how well it works.

Alexa gets fit
    Stay motivated on your fitness journey with the new Fitbit skill for Alexa. This skill works with Fitbit trackers and smart scales to give you updates on your daily activity, weight, and more.
    http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3028450011&ref=ods_Email_Home_DR_crm_NewThisWeek_Fitbit

To get started, enable the Fitbit skill in your Alexa App. When you've linked your Fitbit account, just ask:
     - "Alexa, ask Fitbit how I'm doing today."
     - "Alexa, ask Fitbit how many steps I've taken."
     - "Alexa, ask Fitbit how I slept last night."
     - "Alexa, ask Fitbit about my exercise."

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #659 on: March 22, 2016, 06:15:40 am »
    Ooh, ooh, ooh!  Off to check!

Betsy

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #660 on: March 22, 2016, 06:32:33 am »
    OK, hadn't played with Skills before on my Echo.  So this was interesting.

Here's what FitBit says about the skill:
    https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-set-up-or-remove-the-Fitbit-Skill-for-Alexa

The easiest way to find the skill is to tap in the search box at the top of the skill page and enter "Fitbit."
    Then enable it.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #661 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:31 am »
    She doesn't seem to want to tell me my steps when I've gone over my goal though. :(

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #662 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:55 am »
    She doesn't seem to want to tell me my steps when I've gone over my goal though. :(

You mean like a spontaneous announcement?  That would be cool.  Still limited, but I would think it will grow.

It's interesting because Fitbit has been very reluctant to share data with Apple's apps.  I guess they don't see Amazon as a competitor.

Betsy

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #663 on: March 22, 2016, 07:13:27 am »
    No, as in when I've met my goal and ask her  how many steps I've taken she replies "You've met your goal for the day. Go You" (at least that's what she said Sunday evening).

Shoot, Amazon sells Fitbits! Apples sells.... iThings. :)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #664 on: March 22, 2016, 07:25:12 am »
    No, as in when I've met my goal and ask her  how many steps I've taken she replies "You've met your goal for the day. Go You" (at least that's what she said Sunday evening).

Hah!  I haven't met my goal yet since I only discovered this today.

Shoot, Amazon sells Fitbits! Apples sells.... iThings. :)

Yeah, but Fitbit made an app to have on my iThing.  And my Charge HR will let me know if I get a phone call on my iPhone.  Would love to see better integration between the Fitbit App and the Health App.  One of the reasons I got an iWatch was because it played well with my iPhone; I wasn't sure the Blaze would.  People ARE going to have iPhone and want Fitbits.  This way, they're kind of forcing people who like real integration away from the Fitbit world right into Apple's world.  *shrug*

Betsy

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #665 on: March 22, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
    Now this evening she's telling me

You've met your step goal. You've taken 12600 steps. Steppin' up in life.

:)

Maybe I asked her in a different fashion or something last night? *scratches head*

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #666 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:46 pm »
    Maybe she's learning!  Maybe she's reading this thread!!!!   :o

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #667 on: March 23, 2016, 05:22:36 pm »
    I was near an Apple store today, so I went in and looked at their Watch.  I think the lowest price through Apple was $349 [now I see that the 38mm sport one is $299 -- is this a price drop with the newer watch? -- they didn't have the prices on the display at the Apple store Monday] and I didn't think it was worth that much, although if I used many of the features I might like it. 

I saw the lower-priced bands on Amazon.com. 

I don't need this. Don't need this. Don't need this.  [keep saying to self.]

Best Buy online is still selling the Apple 38mm sport watches for $249 if you are looking. They have lowered the normal price from 349 to 299 but they still have them marked down to 249 as of right now.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #668 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:48 am »
    I asked for, and received, a Fitbit Charge for Mother's Day. It is thinner then I expected, which is great, and seems to work pretty well. I am going to compare my numbers this week to the numbers off of my One and get a feel for how close the two are.

Setup was a breeze, I didn't have to do anything special for it to recognize and add a second tracker. The One is still listed but not in use.

I like the sleep option on the Charge. I didn't bother with sleep logging on the One because it was a pain. ok so a minor pain, to remember to start the sleep tracker or hand jam the sleep info on the dash board. Not to mention it would have been depressing to see how little sleep I was getting during the Little Mans toddler years. (shudders at quantifying those sleepless nights)

I see this as a test week for the Charge. I want to get a feel for how the steps work. I like the heart rate monitor. I really like the number of hours that you take 250 steps in. I don't see why they couldn't add that for the One.

Now to go and register the stupid thing at work.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #669 on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:12 pm »
    If there are any Jawbone fans lurking here, be advised that Jawbone is reportedly exiting the fitness tracker business in a hurry. If you really want a Jawbone, I would buy one now. But be prepared to perhaps not have good support.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-27/jawbone-ends-tracker-production-may-sell-speakers-reports-say
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #670 on: June 10, 2016, 09:01:55 am »
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-cheat-your-fitbit-try-using-a-puppy-or-a-power-drill-1465487106

How to cheat on Fitbit...including hamster wheels and tapping your Fitbit burdened toe during meetings!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #671 on: June 13, 2016, 06:33:57 am »
    heheheh

I have thought about seeing what would happen if I put my fitbit on the dogs and one on my three year old. I am still contemplating the three year old. My old One has the clip. I could put it clipped into his shorts pocket and see what happens. More because I am curious then anything.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #672 on: June 13, 2016, 06:35:55 am »
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-cheat-your-fitbit-try-using-a-puppy-or-a-power-drill-1465487106

How to cheat on Fitbit...including hamster wheels and tapping your Fitbit burdened toe during meetings!

Love this!

Betsy

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #673 on: July 08, 2016, 09:22:43 am »
    Ok, my current fitbit Flex is wonky.  It does not take a charge always, gets the 2lights on, 1 off, 2 on display which is supposed to mean trouble.  Called customer support who are always nice and helpful.  They indicate that it is over 4 years since my first Flex purchase.  The end of the warranty period (I guess the warrantywas 4 years).  So no more free replacement.  They also said that the average life span of the trackers was 2-3 years with 2-5 being the range that one could expect.  This is the first time that I have heard of this estimate.
    The Flex is one of the low end units and as such is not expected to stand up to extreme circumstances such as hammerinng nails with the arm that it is on.  Other models will do  better.
    So they are giving me a 25% credit towards the purchase of a new unit - any model (fitbit brand of course).
    And free shipping.
    So I think I will replace it either with the new Alta or the Charge.
    Any suggestions?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #674 on: July 08, 2016, 09:33:24 am »
    I know nothing of the Alta, but if you are considering the Charge, I'd get a Charrge HR instead. The price difference isn't great, and the heart rate monitor is a feature you easily  may want later, even if you don't think so now.

What features of the Alta appeal to you?

I have tried several Fitbit devices, but the one I keep wearing is the boring old Zip. I love the battery life, and I don't find stair counting accurate or reliable on fancier devices. I still keep my Charge HR around in case I want pulse or sleep monitoring, but only use it occasionally. 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement