Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55242 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #675 on: July 08, 2016, 09:38:10 am »
Looks like the Charge HR is eleven dollars more than the Charge on Amazon. Not sure if you buy directly from Fitbit what the difference would be. Both are cheaper than the Alta.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #676 on: July 08, 2016, 10:37:27 am »
    DH has the Alta and I have a Charge HR.  I don't use mine for the HR stuff though.  It was the only one I could get in purple at the time :)
    The Alta is slimmer and doesn't scream "fitness band."  You can also purchase replacement bands in different styles.  And from what Fitbit told me, the Alta is the only one where you can set move reminders.  But DH says that the vibration is pretty faint and he doesn't think that the alarm would wake him up.
    I use mine as an alarm and I like the intensity of the vibration.  I also like having the button to press when I want to start a workout.  On the Alta you have to tap the display and I am abysmal at finding the right spot to tap (disabled that on my Charge HR).  I am on my  3rd Charge HR because the first one stopped holding a charge 8 months after purchase and the first replacement (refurbished) wouldn't hold a charge either.  But the second replacement (new) has been chugging along.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #677 on: July 11, 2016, 05:25:32 am »
    I am torn. I love the HR monitor on the Charge HR but it is not as accurate on the step count. If I am not swinging my arm, it struggles to pick up steps. Since I use my non-dominant hand to carry stuff and hold my 4 year olds hand, I miss a good number of steps. The One is far more accurate as a pedometer but does not have the HR feature and the sleep feature is not automatic.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #678 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:08 am »
    I know what you mean about missing the step count.  With both Flexs that I had, when on an elliptical they would undercount by a lot.
    And when on a treadmill if you hold on with the non dominant hand, you lose count also.

Does anyone have the Surge or the Blaze?  I am wondering how good they are.  I think they are too expensive for me.
    And I am not sure what the Alta brings to the table?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Online Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #679 on: July 11, 2016, 02:57:38 pm »
    I am glad that I am still using my One. Anyone know why the phone sync app is now complaining when the phone GPS is off?

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #680 on: July 11, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »
    Supposedly it's something to do with Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update, something about Google changing the permissions required for bluetooth syncing.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #681 on: July 12, 2016, 07:26:26 am »
    I love the Charge HR because the sleep stuff is awesome and I like the heart rate monitor. I am contemplating moving it to my dominant hand and keeping it listed as my non-dominant hand and see what that does. When I have the asthma back under control (random attack, first time in three years that I have even had an issue) I will swap it to my dominant hand when I go to the gym. I think you can also self program in using the treadmill or elliptical and have that over ride the step count.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #682 on: July 12, 2016, 07:22:13 pm »
    I decided to replace the Flex with a Charge HR.  Fitbit is giving me 25% off and free shipping.
    Hopefully it will be a little bit better than the Flex were.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher

Online Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #683 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:42 am »
    Supposedly it's something to do with Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update, something about Google changing the permissions required for bluetooth syncing.
    Thanks! That explains why it syncs anyway.

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #684 on: July 30, 2016, 02:34:54 pm »
    Got 10,000+ steps 3 days this week. A new record for me.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #685 on: July 31, 2016, 06:04:00 am »
    Congratulations.....that is great.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #686 on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:55 am »
    Go, Balaspa! Geoff, how is the Charge HR working for you?
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #687 on: July 31, 2016, 07:35:43 pm »
    Go, Balaspa! Geoff, how is the Charge HR working for you?
    I like it thus far.  It does record stairs which the Flex does not.  And it is more accurate than the Flex on steps.  I have not yet investigated the HR part, but I think it will help me to better my exercise efforts.

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
      • View Profile
      • My Eclectic Range
    « Reply #688 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »
    I have a Fitbit HR, and I like it a lot. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't record my steps when I walk for an hour or so through Sam's Club or the large grocery store where I like to shop. I always use a cart, partly because I've had both knees replaced and I have a bad back. The cart relieves some stress (plus I don't want to carry the things that I buy in a small basket).

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #689 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »
    I have a Fitbit HR, and I like it a lot. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't record my steps when I walk for an hour or so through Sam's Club or the large grocery store where I like to shop. I always use a cart, partly because I've had both knees replaced and I have a bad back. The cart relieves some stress (plus I don't want to carry the things that I buy in a small basket).

They can fall short on stairs step count as well. I have a Charge HR, but sent it into semi-retirement in favor of my Zip. I liked the sleep tracking on my HR, though.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #690 on: August 23, 2016, 05:18:13 am »

I've also discovered that if I loop the dog leash around my wrist, the Charge HR doesn't count steps correctly.  It is WAY under.  I guess because my hand/wrist isn't moving?
    I found that if I fidget when I push a grocery cart, I'm more likely to get an accurate count, but I can't seem to figure out how to fidget when walking the pup without losing control of the leash.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #691 on: August 23, 2016, 05:27:10 am »
    They can fall short on stairs step count as well. I have a Charge HR, but sent it into semi-retirement in favor of my Zip. I liked the sleep tracking on my HR, though.

I noticed that it does not record when I am pushing the stroller or a grocery cart. I figured out that I need to push the cart with one hand while swinging the arm with the Fitbit for about five or six steps and then it picks up the steps. Strangely enough, it records most of my stroller walks as cycling on the exercise page. It is easy enough to fix but I figure that it is because the arm is not moving as I get the steps in.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #692 on: August 23, 2016, 05:32:40 am »
    I bought an Alta and did a comparison with my Zip and found activities like walking the dog and pushing a grocery cart showed less steps with the Alta than the Zip.  If I loop the Alta around a belt loop or put it in my pocket when doing those activities the counts are very similar.

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
      • My website
    « Reply #693 on: September 10, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »
    Still wearing mine! Dropped a lot of pounds and have been routinely getting 10,000 plus at least 3 days a week.
    The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #694 on: September 25, 2016, 06:25:37 pm »
    I had a Zip & at Mother's Day upgraded to an Alta. Didn't want the Charge because my wrists are just too small (I'm only 5' tall) & I look like a kid wearing her dad's humongous sports watch.
    I don't find the Alta very responsive when trying to scroll through the different readouts ... but at least the vibration when I get a text or phone call let's me know something is up.
    I have used the alarm function & it does generally wake me up ... but since I am a serial 'snooze' button-pusher, that function doesn't work too well for me either.
    My zip didn't work too well & I would forget to put it in my pocket, so at least with the Alta, I wear it more reliably.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #695 on: September 26, 2016, 05:00:22 am »
    I have three alarms set for the morning so I tend to get up although there are days that I sleep through all three. The good news, my job is pretty flexible so they could care less when I arrive. I try and get in to work with enough time so that I can go to the gym and take a shower before going to pick my son up from Day Care.

I aim for 12,000 steps a day. This is more realistic during the work week when I can get up and take 10 strolls as my smoke breaks. I tend to get far fewer on the weekends.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #696 on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:28 am »
    We spent a week at the beach in August and I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out how to take my charge with me when we were playing in the water.  In the end I settled for wearing it walking down there and on any beach walks and putting it in a plastic bag in my beach bag when getting in the water.  I didn't want to take a chance with it.  Now a month later Fitbit introduces the Flex 2 which is waterproof... Guess what I'm getting when my Charge HR dies??  I've never used the HR feature since it drains the battery so quickly so I don't think I'll miss it.  But I've gotten used to a display so maybe the little lights will just annoy me - we'll see.

Thanks to the puppy (and putting the tracker in my pocket on walks) I've been getting 10,000 steps most days and have dropped 15 pounds since July.  It's nice to see some progress :)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #697 on: December 30, 2016, 11:01:47 am »
    So I can now say that I like the Charge HR quite a bit.
    I don't seem to be developing the battery problems that I had with all 3 of the Flex models that I had.
    I do use the HR to guage if I have worked hard enough, not just long enough.
    I also have enjoyed checking my sleep patterns using both the Flex and the Charge HR.  I have found it interesting to determine how well I have been sleeping.  I feel that I now sleep like a rock and the fitbit seems to agree with that.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #698 on: December 30, 2016, 11:09:12 am »
    I got an Alta last March & liked it pretty much - being a small woman, the Charge just seems too big for my wrist.
    But this past Tuesday I permanently lost it  >:(
    Have decided to try a different brand altogether that is about half the cost and see whether I like that one or not - but I'll keep watching this thread.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #699 on: January 03, 2017, 07:56:51 am »
    Well, my Charge HR bit the dust a few months ago - the band actually came apart around the face.  I replaced it with the waterproof Flex 2, but as I suspected, not having a display drove me crazy.  I gave it about two weeks and then caved and bought an Alta when Amazon had them on sale.  I really like the form factor of the Alta - it doesn't feel as bulky as the Charge.
    I am keeping the Flex 2 for beach trips :)

Do we still have a FitBit group around here somewhere?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement