Author Topic: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)  (Read 55253 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Fitbit Fans (The Official Thread)
« Reply #700 on: January 03, 2017, 08:04:31 am »
The group on the Fitbit page is still active, I'll post a link...

I don't use my Fitbit as often--prefer my Apple Watch, but the group would be good.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #701 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:00 am »
    OK, I've actually started wearing my Fitbit again to take part in challenges, etc. I like the community.

I wear my Apple Watch, too.  So I've got fitness bands on two wrists, LOL. 

If you've got an Amazon Echo, you can use it to check your Fitbit stats:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2009

You can use the Fitbit Skill for Alexa to get updates on your Fitbit stats and progress toward your daily and weekly goals.

To set up or remove the Fitbit Skill for Alexa, see How do I set up or remove the Fitbit Skill for Alexa?
    CAN I TELL ALEXA TO SYNC MY TRACKER?

Alexa can access the data youve already synced, but it cant sync the latest data from your tracker.
    WHAT INFORMATION CAN ALEXA TELL ME?

Alexa can tell your Fitbit stats for today, yesterday, or a specific day of the week that you name. Alexa can only access information you synced from your tracker. For more information on syncing your tracker, see How do Fitbit trackers sync their data?

Alexa can tell you information about the following Fitbit stats:
    Steps taken
    Distance covered
    Active minutes
    Flights climbed
    Hours slept
    Weight
    If you exercised
    Calories burned
    Calories remaining
    Water logged
    Resting heart rate
    Battery life on tracker
    If your tracker does not provide a certain type of information, such as heart rate data, Alexa will not be able to provide that stat.
    HOW DO I ASK ALEXA FOR INFORMATION?

To have Alexa tell you your Fitbit stats, you can ask the following types of questions. You must tell Alexa to ask Fitbit for the information.

To trigger the Fitbit Skill for Alexa, first you must say: Alexa, ask Fitbit.

Then ask Alexa any question about your stats for today, yesterday, or a specific day of the week. Some phrases you can use are:
    How Im doing today
    How I slept last night
    How far I walked
    How many steps Ive taken
    How many active minutes I have
    How many stairs I climbed
    If Ive exercised today
    How many calories I have left
    How much water Ive had
    What my resting heart rate is
    How much I weigh
    About my battery
    You can also ask Alexa to open Fitbit.

All put together, a few phrases you can use to get your Fitbit stats from Alexa are:
    Alexa, ask Fitbit how far I walked yesterday.
    Alexa, ask Fitbit how many stairs I climbed on Monday.
    Alexa, ask Fitbit how many steps Ive taken today.
    HOW DO I SWITCH PROFILES?

If you have more than one user in your Amazon Household Profile, you can ask Alexa to switch profiles so you can access your Fitbit stats. Amazon allows two adults to share a Household profile. For more information and detailed instructions, please visit the Amazon Help & Customer Service site.

Note the following requirements:
    Both people in the Amazon Household must have an Amazon account.
    Both people in the Amazon Household must have the Alexa app on their mobile device.
    Both people must be logged in to their respective Fitbit accounts in the Alexa app.
    To switch accounts you can say, "Alexa, switch accounts." Once your account is switched you can access your Fitbit stats as you normally would.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #702 on: April 26, 2017, 06:25:43 am »
    We have an echo at home but I don't use Alexa for my fitbit. I check my stats on my iPad and find that is enough for me. I can see where it might be helpful to check in with Alexa while developing new exercise habits.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #703 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:40 am »
    Or, if one is too lazy to get up to grab a phone or iPad (where I usually check mine).  I can holler across the room at Alexa.  Of course, being too lazy to get up and walk across the room is kind of contrary to the spirit of the Fitbit, but still....  :D :D :D

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #704 on: June 19, 2017, 10:50:55 am »
    My Charge HR broke, the battery casing snapped off and it was hard to charge it. This of course happened a month after the warranty ended. Fitbit provided me 25% off of a new Fitbit so I choose a Alta HR.

Things that I like:

1) It is much smaller
    2) The sleep feature is far more detailed (It shows you when you were awake, in REM sleep, deep sleep and light sleep.
    3) There is a reading on your cardio vascular health (based on your resting heart rate and a few other factors)
    4) It displays active minutes (the charge might have done this and I was not aware of it
    5) Exchangeable bands. I like that I can get different bands if I want to
    6) The charger is not going to cause my watch to break.

Things I don't like:

1) The display is either vertical or horizontal for all the screens. I like the time on the vertical but would prefer my step count to be horizontal so I can see the exact count.
    2) No altimeter so no stair count. Not a huge deal but I liked that feature.
    3) It is not waterproof, but I suspect that is going to be an issue for any heart rate monitor watch
    4) The vibrate mode is too soft, I barely feel the vibration when I am up and moving.

On the old Charge HR the charging cord was short and I found that it had to dangle on the charger. At least, none of the plus in our house were set in a place where I could charge it without it dangling. The connecting bit ended up being pulled off. At least the Alta charger is more secure and the cord is long enough for me to lay the fitbit down so there is no strain.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #705 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:01 am »
    Well the band "bubbled" and came off the unit just like so many on the fitbit website have complained about.  So my Charge HR is now a pocket device.  That makes the sleep mode useless and the HR mode useless.  But at least I am getting most of the steps recorded.  After the bad experiences with the flex I don't know if I want to try anymore.  The new Charge HR 2 seems to get around the problem with a replaceable band that can't "come apart".  But I am not sure I want to screw around with it.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #706 on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:24 am »
    I am really enjoying my Alta HR, the band can be swapped out and the profile is far slimmer. I miss the steps and the pulse is a bit weak but I love it otherwise.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #707 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:40 am »
    My Charge HR also had the defective band issue.  I switched to a Flex2 because of the waterproof feature, but quickly found that I needed a display, not just flashing lights.  So I have had an Alta for over a year.  It is smaller than the Charge and I can play around with different bands if I want.  I also have a strap that will go around my ankle so I can count riding a bicycle.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #708 on: July 18, 2017, 11:43:15 am »
    ohhh I like the strap idea for spin class

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #709 on: February 03, 2018, 07:59:00 am »
    So how is everyone doing with their fitbits? 
    I notice that many have stopped reporting their steps to the fitbit KBoards group.
    I hope everyone is ok.....?

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #710 on: February 03, 2018, 01:02:32 pm »
    I'm still there (Julie, with the 'stache :D )... and you're beating me!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #711 on: February 03, 2018, 10:00:52 pm »
    I don't do anywhere near as much as I want - but how does one join this group? I tried & got a message "This page does not exist, has moved, or you do not have permission to view it." I can see y'all as members but it won't let me join.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #712 on: February 04, 2018, 05:30:41 am »
    If you PM me your email I can invite you. :)

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #713 on: February 11, 2018, 04:42:11 pm »
    Could someone else add CegAbq to the Fitbit group? I've cleared cookies, re-logged in, and am still having problems with the page!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #714 on: February 11, 2018, 04:58:34 pm »
    I was able to accept Julie as a friend. 
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #715 on: July 05, 2019, 11:24:31 am »
    So is anyone still loggin their time on the fitbit site?
    I had to stop using the fitbit charge HR as it would no longer let me charge the battery.
    I finally got a Charge 3 this week.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #716 on: July 05, 2019, 02:22:58 pm »
    Me! Still aiming to get 10,000 steps daily!

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #717 on: July 06, 2019, 09:56:01 am »
    Me! Still aiming to get 10,000 steps daily!
    Is the Kboards group still there?  I have been away and don't seem able to find it.
    Can anyone supply a link?

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #718 on: July 06, 2019, 12:33:35 pm »
    I'll look. I've forgotten how to access the groups! My steps get automagically logged and I haven't been to the website in ages!

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • DH and me
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #719 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:34 am »
    I lost my Fitbit One at work toward the end of 2016 while my life was crazy. Since I usually have my phone in a pocket of my cargo pants, it was also counting my steps. I used that for a while on the FitBit app while deciding what to order. I eventually decided to not replace my FitBit and stick with the pgobe app (Samsung Health). I also started using Google Fit so that my steps would count to hatch eggs in Pokemon Go. Since that one also tracks Move Minutes and Heart Points, I am working to close the circles on both of those goals. I miss the easy sleep tracking but it is not in my budget.

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #720 on: January 18, 2020, 10:35:59 am »
    I am enjoying the use of my Charge 3.  And I use the Fitbit software to keep track of my progress.
    But I am still unable to connect with any groups.  But then maybe there aren't any out there anymore?

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #721 on: January 19, 2020, 12:27:20 pm »
    It's been so long since I've looked into the Fitbit groups I don't know if I can even find them!

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #722 on: October 19, 2020, 03:44:38 am »
    Is anyone still using their Fitbit watches? I just bought a Fitbit Versa 2 (there is a 3, but the 2 was $50 off on Prime Day last week). I have never owned a smart watch. My iphone is going bad and stopped keeping my steps/miles as of a few weeks ago.  I couldn't even download the fitbit app on the phone just now. I put it in my Kindle Fire 8 Plus.

I registered with Fitbit on the app but have not set the watch up yet. I think it has to charge first and I plugged it in first thing. The instructions with the watch only said to download the app.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #723 on: October 19, 2020, 07:00:02 am »
    I still wear my pretty much all the time.  I am up to a Charge 3 now - the one I have is the original from release day.  Knock wood - this is the longest that I have kept a single Fitbit with a screen.  It was a little flaky when new, but a few firmware updates got it straightened out.
    I can't use the Versa watches; they are too large for my wrist.  DH has one and he says that it syncs with the app just like the other devices.  It just needs to be charged more frequently.
    The app has fairly straightforward instructions for setting the devices up.  The fewer optional things that you turn on, the longer the battery will last.
    Have fun with it.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #724 on: October 20, 2020, 01:03:37 am »
    Thank you, Andra.

I still haven't set it up, but I was preoccupied with getting a walk in and getting an Apple appointment for my battery dead 6s. My landline has also been dead and I just ordered a battery for the V-tech phone. No calls or texts until i get the iphone working. I might get the watch going now while the TV is on.
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

KBoards.com

• Advertisement