Author Topic: Salt 'another gem amidst the many children's books'  (Read 7754 times)  

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
  • Writer of children's fiction & adult short stories
    • View Profile
    • Helen Laycock | Children's Author
Re: Salt 'another gem amidst the many children's books'
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 02:55:22 AM »
As the winter wind howls outside, why not sit by the fire and be transported to a summer of mystery and adventure at the Cornish coast withSalt

Suitable for boys and girls, it is available as both a kindle (1.80 / $2.76) and a paperback (4.37 / $8.00) edition and has had some great reviews.

A holiday at Pirates' Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be... He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar 'cursed' gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet. Stranger still, why has a dead man been spotted in the town? With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled... but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

And here are a few quotes from reviews:

'I'm reluctant to give five stars to anything, but Salt really nails my number one criteria, keep me interested and engaged.'
'Gripping read, highly recommended for middle grade'
'Salt is one of those stories that pulls the reader into the action.'
'many twists and turns'
'an enchanting read'
'Vivid imagery and nicely flowing prose add to the strengths of the narrative'
'Having recently read and reviewed another of Helen Laycock's books, "Mandrake's Plot," I can once again assert that this is another gem amidst the many children's books'
'Your heart will be beating as you go along with Toby and his new friend Hattie as they piece together clues and encounter dangerous obstacles.'
'Helen Laycock has woven a whimsical tale'
'Salt is not what I expected, but it was so wonderfully well written that the characters truly came alive.'
'The characters are very believable and realistic'
'The narrative flows well and the focus on the main characters keeps the storyline easy to follow.'
'The author is very precise in setting the scene and providing rich descriptions of places and people'
'Strange happenings after dark, secret tunnels, a new friendship with a mysterious girl, what else would any kid want from a summer vacation in a seaside village. How about getting the chance to solve a baffling mystery? The main character, Toby, gets it all, and so will the reader.'
'What could be better than reclaiming a man from the dead, cursed booty and outwitting many a menacing foe?'
'The plot is well thought out and as the adventure begins, the story unfolds, coming to a swift resolution by the end'
'It is exciting and once again I am reminded of the work of Enid Blyton.'
'Both girls and boys will be attracted to this high-adventure story'
'Helen Laycock's books are most definitely recommended'

If your children enjoy it, please would you consider leaving a review on Amazon. Thank you.

Helen Laycock | Children's Author
http://helenlaycock.wix.com/helen-laycock
:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:38:20 AM by Helen Laycock »

More books available on my Author Page. Happy Reading!
Helen Laycock | Blog | Facebook | UK Author Page | US Author Page | Twitter | Website - Fiction in a Flash | Website - Children\'s Books

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 06:37:17 AM »

You can read the first chapter of the seaside mystery, Salt, here:

https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/409906-salt

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:59:14 AM by Helen Laycock »

Helen Laycock | Blog | Facebook | UK Author Page | US Author Page | Twitter | Website - Fiction in a Flash | Website - Children\'s Books

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
Forget the chill of winter and take a holiday with Toby at Pirates' Cove. Here, a host of mysterious goings-on keeps Toby and his new friend, Hattie, occupied, but little do they know, they are also in danger.

Salt

~A seaside mystery for readers of 8 - 12~

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:39:07 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
***** SALT is currently on promotion. From 27th - 31st July, it can be downloaded FREE! *****

Salt

From July 27th - 31st, 'SALT', a seaside mystery for readers of 8 - 12, will be ‪#‎free‬ to download worldwide as a Kindle edition.

Everyone knows Salt gives you high blood-pressure, and this edge-of-your-seat adventure is no exception...

A holiday at Pirates Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be
He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar cursed gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet.
Stranger still, why has a dead man been spotted in the town?
With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

You can read a couple of extracts here on my children's website:
http://helenlaycock.wix.com/helen-laycock#!salt/c1rl0

REVIEW EXTRACTS:
'I'm reluctant to give five stars to anything, but Salt really nails my number one criteria, keep me interested and engaged.'
'Having recently read and reviewed another of Helen Laycock's books, "Mandrake's Plot," I can once again assert that this is another gem amidst the many children's books'
'many twists and turns'
'an enchanting read'
'Your heart will be beating as you go along with Toby and his new friend Hattie as they piece together clues and encounter dangerous obstacles.'
'so wonderfully well written that the characters truly came alive'
'The characters are very believable and realistic''rich descriptions of places and people'
'The narrative flows well and the focus on the main characters keeps the storyline easy to follow.'
'Strange happenings after dark, secret tunnels, a new friendship with a mysterious girl, what else would any kid want from a summer vacation in a seaside village. How about getting the chance to solve a baffling mystery? The main character, Toby, gets it all, and so will the reader.'
'What could be better than reclaiming a man from the dead, cursed booty and outwitting many a menacing foe?'
'The plot is well thought out and as the adventure begins, the story unfolds, coming to a swift resolution by the end'
'most definitely recommended'

All I ask is that in return, you will consider leaving a review. Thank you.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:39:29 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
Another mention, if I may, of Salt

Suitable for readers aged 7 - 12

A holiday at Pirates' Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be . . .

He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar 'cursed' gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet.

With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled . . .  but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

Available worldwide as a Kindle (1.80 / $1.49) or paperback (4.37 / $6.80) edition.
FREE on Kindle unlimited.

Other children's books by Helen Laycock:
Glass Dreams, Mandrake's Plot, The Secret of Pooks Wood, Martha and Mitch, Song of the Moon, Mr Charlie Chumpkins and The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins, A Mouthful of Chuckles (Poetry)

Books for adults are also available.

Just click on the link for your country:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:39:46 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
As the autumn wind begins to blow, why not sit by the fire and be transported to a summer of mystery and adventure at the Cornish coast withSalt

Suitable for boys and girls, it is available as both a kindle (1.80 / $2.76) and a paperback (4.37 / $8.00) edition and has had some great reviews.

A holiday at Pirates' Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be . . .  He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar 'cursed' gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet. Stranger still, why has a dead man been spotted in the town? With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled... but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

'many twists and turns'
'an enchanting read'
'Salt is not what I expected, but it was so wonderfully well written that the characters truly came alive.'
'The author is very precise in setting the scene and providing rich descriptions of places and people'

If your children enjoy it, please would you consider leaving a review on Amazon. Thank you.

:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:40:02 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
Here are a few tasters ofSalt  from my children's website:

http://helenlaycock.wixsite.com/helen-laycock/salt

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:59:39 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2017, 03:57:15 AM »

Hattie moved the torch to the left of the wall. Here, a tangle of electrical wires disappeared into the vertical blackness, and to the left again was the door they had come across previously. As the children edged closer, they could see that its hinges were on the right and the ringed handle was on its left.

'Shall we?' ventured Toby, now a little nervous.

'We most certainly shall.' Assertive Hattie reached out for the rusty black ring. It turned surprisingly easily, to the right with a slight scratching sound. The door opened inwards, scuffing on the flagstones as it did so.

Hattie shone the torch into the black chasm that now lay ahead of them. Perhaps she wasn't feeling so confident after all. Nevertheless, she wasn't going to show it.

'Come on then,' she whispered, leading Toby into the darkness. Their footsteps were deadened on the tunnel floor, for, indeed, it was a tunnel in which they now found themselves. Hattie, holding the torch in her right hand, used her left palm to feel the rough, curved surface of the rocky wall. Toby, beside her, was holding Hattie's arm with his left hand while Rufus swung from his right.

After a few minutes, during which the children said not a word, they came to a fork. There was a choice of three paths to take.

'This is where our little friend can help us,' whispered Hattie. Toby put Rufus's cage down and opened the door. He seemed reluctant to come out, and stood on his threshold warily. If there had been more light, the children would have noticed Rufus's nose twitching as he took in the dank scent of the tunnel.

Then, gingerly, he stepped out, his bracelet still glowing. Hattie softly bent down to talk to him and his nose hovered, mid-twitch.

'Now, Rufus,' she whispered, 'we need you to show us the way back. So remember your route.'

Hattie straightened up and Rufus took off. He snaked his way through the tunnel that led off to the extreme right and the children padded along behind. Occasionally, Rufus stopped to sniff something interesting on the ground, but it seemed they were travelling a long way through this network of underground tunnels. They met fork after fork, and always Rufus went to the right, until the last fork when he headed for the centre. Again, he stopped to sniff and the children stopped behind him.

As Toby looked around he could have sworn that a faint glow was coming from around the bend in the tunnel. He quickly scooped up Rufus and popped him back into his cage. Rufus didn't seem to mind at all. He started to clean himself.

Hattie was about to ask Toby why he had put Rufus away, when he put his hand over her mouth and brought his mouth close to her right ear.

'Don't say a word,' Toby whispered in his softest voice. 'I think there's someone there.'

Salt

for readers of 8-12

Available as a Kindle or paperback edition

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:36:41 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:49 AM »
As the sun begins to shine, get ready to be transported to a summer of mystery and adventure at the Cornish coast withSalt

Suitable for boys and girls, it is available as both a kindle (1.80 / $2.34) and a paperback (4.37 / $8.00) edition and has had some great reviews.

A holiday at Pirates' Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be . . .  He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar 'cursed' gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet. Stranger still, why has a dead man been spotted in the town? With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled... but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

'many twists and turns'
'an enchanting read'

:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:40:37 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »
Everyone knows Salt gives you high blood-pressure, and this edge-of-your-seat MG adventure is no exception...

UK Paperback: 4.37 Kindle: 1.80

US link:Salt

US Paperback: $8.00 Kindle: $2.39

Worldwide links:

A holiday at Pirates' Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be . . .
He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar 'cursed' gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet.
With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled . . . but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

SUITABLE FOR READERS OF 8-12

You can read a couple of extracts here on my children's website:

http://helenlaycock.wixsite.com/helen-laycock/salt

REVIEW QUOTES:

'many twists and turns'

'an enchanting read'

'rich descriptions of places and people'

'most definitely recommended'

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:41:35 AM by Helen Laycock »

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2018, 04:45:42 AM »

This exciting seaside mystery for MG readers is available worldwide.

UK: Kindle
1.80 Paperback 4.37
US: Kindle $2.48 Paperback $8.00

FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »
How do you like my Salt Pinterest page?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/helen_laycock/mg-books-salt-by-helen-laycock/

I think it represents the elements of the story perfectly!

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2018, 12:45:54 AM »
For information about all my children's books, please visit:

Salt (U.K.) *****
Salt (U.S.)  *****

Suitable for readers aged 7-12

For Toby, a holiday at Pirates' Cove is nothing like he expected it to be...
With the help of Hattie, a strange local girl, her dog Scamp and Rufus, the intelligent rat, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled. Why are there mysterious beach fires and eerie singing at night? What is Hattie hiding? Why has a dead man been spotted in the town and why are the children in such grave danger?

~This is one of nine children's books by Helen Laycock. Check out the other threads.~

Offline Helen Laycock

• South-East England
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 04:04:10 AM »
A splash of sea and a sprinkle of secrets...

Summer is here, so why not season it with a little Salt, a seaside mystery for MG readers?

Here's an  extract to whet your appetite:

Outside the cellar door, Hattie grabbed Tobys arm. Wait, she said. She began to rummage around in a broom cupboard and emerged with a sturdy black torch. Hattie flicked the switch.
Bingo. It works.
Toby began to fumble with the door catch.
One more thing, said Hattie, opening Rufuss cage. Here, look. She took out of her pocket a tubular bracelet and slipped it over Rufuss neck.
Its a glow-in-the-dark one, she explained. I got it from a fairground.
Toby was impressed. Clever girl. You think of everything... Smartie pants!
Hattie gave him a friendly slap on the back, and, having put Rufus back into his cage, the pair made their way down the rickety staircase once again, shutting the cellar door behind them.
As before, a small pool of dim light illuminated the steps and a patch of floor at the bottom of them. It was quite eerie down there.
Rufuss green bracelet began to glow inside the cage. Hattie switched on the torch and a bright circle of light spread itself over a tall cupboard which had been covered with a cloth, giving it the appearance of an odd-shaped spectre. Next to it, on the floor, was a coil of thick rope and then further away still was a packing case with paintings leaning against it and balanced on top of it.
Behind that was the stone wall at the back of the cellar. Hattie allowed the beam to travel up it. The children could see some sort of pipe and could hear a steady dripping noise.
Hattie moved the torch to the left of the wall. Here, a tangle of electrical wires disappeared into the vertical blackness, and to the left again was the door they had come across previously. As the children edged closer, they could see that its hinges were on the right and the ringed handle was on its left.
Shall we? ventured Toby, now a little nervous.
We most certainly shall. Assertive Hattie reached out for the rusty black ring. It turned surprisingly easily, to the right with a slight scratching sound. The door opened inwards, scuffing on the flagstones as it did so.
 Hattie shone the torch into the black chasm that now lay ahead of them. Perhaps she wasnt feeling so confident after all. Nevertheless, she wasnt going to show it.
Come on then, she whispered, leading Toby into the darkness. Their footsteps were deadened on the tunnel floor, for, indeed, it was a tunnel in which they now found themselves. Hattie, holding the torch in her right hand, used her left palm to feel the rough, curved surface of the rocky wall. Toby, beside her, was holding Hatties arm with his left hand while Rufus swung from his right.
After a few minutes, during which the children said not a word, they came to a fork. There was a choice of three paths to take.
This is where our little friend can help us, whispered Hattie.
Toby put Rufuss cage down and opened the door. He seemed reluctant to come out, and stood on his threshold warily. If there had been more light, the children would have noticed Rufuss nose twitching as he took in the dank scent of the tunnel.
Then, gingerly, he stepped out, his bracelet still glowing. Hattie softly bent down to talk to him and his nose hovered, mid-twitch.
Now, Rufus, she whispered, we need you to show us the way back. So remember your route.
Hattie straightened up and Rufus took off. He snaked his way through the tunnel that led off to the extreme right and the children padded along behind. Occasionally, Rufus stopped to sniff something interesting on the ground, but it seemed they were travelling a long way through this network of underground tunnels. They met fork after fork, and always Rufus went to the right, until the last fork when he headed for the centre. Again, he stopped to sniff and the children stopped behind him.
As Toby looked around he could have sworn that a faint glow was coming from around the bend in the tunnel. He quickly scooped up Rufus and popped him back into his cage. Rufus didnt seem to mind at all. He started to clean himself.
Hattie was about to ask Toby why he had put Rufus away, when he put his hand over her mouth and brought his mouth close to her right ear.
Dont say a word, Toby whispered in his softest voice. I think theres someone there.
Leaving Rufuss cage on the ground and switching off their own torch, Toby and Hattie slid along the right-hand wall of the tunnel. It was cold, rough and damp and there was now sand beneath their feet. As they got closer to the source of light, they began to hear voices.

Amazon links

Salt
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Helen-Laycock-ebook/dp/B006P194FA/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
Kindle:1.80 (and FREE on Kindle unlimited) Paperback:4.37

Salt
US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P194FA/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2
Kindle: $2.58 Paperback: $8.00

Website page: https://helenlaycock.wixsite.com/helen-laycock/salt

Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/helen_laycock/mg-books-salt-by-helen-laycock/