Author Topic: CYBERDROME: A High-Tech Science Fiction Thriller (FREE TODAY 10/5/13)  (Read 17766 times)  

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Rhea - The Official Website
A disturbing glimpse into a digital future, not far from now.

Mathew Grey is a brilliant scientist who accidentally unleashed a man-made plague
that ravaged Americas heartland, and now threatens the rest of the planet. Riddled
with guilt and running out of time, he decides to use a dangerous technology to
enter a computer-generated reality called Cyberdrome, hoping to unravel a mystery
that could be the key to Earths survival.

Alek Grey was an athlete whose career was cut short by a near-fatal accident.
Now he is a software hacker with the unique ability to outsmart the best Artificial
Intelligence programs of his day. When he is called in after one of his programs
inadvertently attacks Cyberdrome, he is shocked to learn that both his father and
ex-fiance have become trapped inside the simulation, unable to be removed
without risk of death.

Alek knows of only one way to rescue the people he loves, but will he risk all of
humanity to save them?

CYBERDROME

by Joseph Rhea and David Rhea

United States: www.amazon.com/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
United Kingdom: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Canada: www.amazon.ca/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Germany: www.amazon.de/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
France: www.amazon.fr/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Spain: www.amazon.es/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Italy: www.amazon.it/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Japan: www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
Brazil: www.amazon.com.br/dp/B0012Q6G5Y

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome - the award-wining near-future technothriller now $2.99
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:49:30 am »
    Joseph--

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book and your first post! 

I've added an image link to the Kindle edition of your book.  :D  It looks really interesting.

We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature.  Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, most of our authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to PM us if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators

The fine print:
    Please add to this thread when you have news about your book rather than start a new one, it helps the members who are trying to follow you.  You may have a separate thread for each of your books.  You may respond to all posts, but if there have been no member posts, we ask that you wait a week before "bumping" the thread by posting back-to-back posts of your own.  And we ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead. All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. From time to time our site rules may change; be sure to check Forum Decorum for the current guidelines and rules. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:07:39 am »
    Thank you for the warm welcome, Ann, and also for adding my Kindle book image.  :)
    I am not here just to plug my book and am genuinely interested in helping all ebook and Indie authors with their pursuits.
    I see ebooks as the reading choice of the 21st century and I think the Kindle is the first, and best, step in that direction.

Sincerely,
    Joseph Rhea

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
      • View Profile
      • Red Adept Publishing
    « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:36:34 am »
    1) Just how important are "product tags" at amazon?
    2) Regarding Amazon's rating system, is it better to have a hundred ratings averaging out to 4-stars, or a dozen 5-star ratings? In other words is a higher rating more important than more ratings?

1. I have heard that the 'tags' make your book come up higher on searches.

2. It's much better, IMHO, to have lots of reviews all over the spectrum. All 5 star reviews makes them appear to be 'fake'. I'm not saying that's true of anyone, just repeating what I have heard from other readers.

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:00 am »
    2) Regarding Amazon's rating system, is it better to have a hundred ratings averaging out to 4-stars, or a dozen 5-star ratings? In other words is a higher rating more important than more ratings?

As a reader, I actually often prefer 4-star reviews to 5-star.  So many 5-star reviews just say, OMG, this is the bestest book ever, everyone should read it!!!!  I almost always look at the lowest-rated review(s) to see what that person didn't like about the book, and that is helpful information to decide whether or not I would like the book.  I would be much more likely to try a book that is a solid 4-stars with many intelligent reviews than a book with just a few 5-star reviews that don't tell me anything.
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
    Where have I been?  I just read the beginning of the first chapter of this.  It looks really good, and the writing excellent.  1-clicked!
    (Now my TBR list is a little long, so I can't promise when I'll get to it)  ;)

Might want to modify your thread title to reflect the 0.99 price.

Carol Hanrahan

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome - the award-wining near-future technothriller now on Kindle
    « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:18:17 am »
    Where have I been?  I just read the beginning of the first chapter of this.  It looks really good, and the writing excellent.  1-clicked!
    (Now my TBR list is a little long, so I can't promise when I'll get to it)  ;)

Might want to modify your thread title to reflect the 0.99 price.

Thanks Carol!
    JR

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:04 am »
    Since I tend to avoid "direct marketing" of my book (preferring to just chat about writing and let others find me that way) I forgot I even started this thread - my first one here on KindleBoards. Also, since the moderators recommend you promote yourself once a week using your original post, I am about 8 weeks behind, so I'd better get started.  ;)

So, I finally went to see James Cameron's movie, "Avatar" last weekend, and saw first hand what many reviewers have been telling me since it opened. There are so many similarities between Cyberdrome and Avatar that my chances of ever getting a film deal are nearly zero now. Anyone reading my film treatment will say, "been there, done that--by Cameron!"  

Similarities include a protagonist in a wheelchair (who uses an avatar to escape his confinement and ends up wanting to stay in his new body), an interface room that is nearly identical in both design and function from what my brother and I created 10 years ago, and Pandora's inhabitants look like a cross between my Blue Sentinels and a cat-like creature I call a CeeAut. Other similarities include a aircraft called a Dragon, and a drop ship that is functionally identical to one of our aircraft. There are numerous others, but you get the idea...

Now, I'm not saying that James Cameron--or one of his CGI designers--ever read our book or even saw some of the many images we have had online during the past 12 years (at www.cyberdrome.org), but the existing similarities will kill a potential film deal unless I rewrite the whole thing. So, thanks Jim! Thanks a lot!  :'(

So, to turn this thing around and make a bad thing into a good thing, if you liked Avatar, maybe you should give Cyberdrome some consideration. On the flip side, if you did NOT like Avatar, maybe you will like Cyberdrome, because, even with the technical similarities, the actual stories are quite different (and you read books because of the story right?)   8)

Anyone else faced a similar dilemma where a new book or movie featured elements of your own book, making your original story look like a copy of theirs? (Thank goodness for copyright dates!)

Offline Archer

• Alterra
    • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:11 am »
    Ooh...bummer!  :-\

Y'know, though, this might help you in some ways. As Avatar fandom swells, many more readers might find you. I hope that's the case. Your story is no doubt very different, even though there are almost too many similarities for comfort. Fiddlesticks!

I think we all harbor fears that someone somewhere is coming up with the same ideas we are. You're right...thank heavens for copyright dates!

Well, WE all know you were the first!

'Cyberdrome--often imitated, but never equalled. Buy the original here!'
    NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:27 am »
    Ooh...bummer!  :-\

Y'know, though, this might help you in some ways. As Avatar fandom swells, many more readers might find you. I hope that's the case. Your story is no doubt very different, even though there are almost too many similarities for comfort. Fiddlesticks!

I think we all harbor fears that someone somewhere is coming up with the same ideas we are. You're right...thank heavens for copyright dates!

Well, WE all know you were the first!

'Cyberdrome--often imitated, but never equaled. Buy the original here!'

Thanks for the positive words (again!), Archer.

I had a similar problem back in 1999 when I had an older version of Cyberdrome online when "The Matrix" first came out. During the next 6 months I had numerous comments calling my story a Matrix rip-off, which of course was silly, since I had my story online a year earlier. But, I dealt with it, and even changed my story to make it less-matrix-like.  I guess it is my fault for taking so long to complete the book, but it's something I have learned to deal with. It is really weird however, how many things in Avatar look like they were copied (or "inspired") by images from my book, but whether it was or not, it is certainly not something I would ever peruse legally. That's not how I want to make a name for myself, if you know what I mean. Plus, when you put things online for everyone to see, you can't complain if someone important sees them, and is inspired by them. I have been inspired by every book I have ever read and movie I have ever watched, so I would be hypocritical to complain.

Also, as you say, maybe I can use the similarities to boost my own sales--not that I'm complaining since sales of the Kindle version of Cyberdrome have been averaging 10 copies a day for the past 3 months, which considering it's a science fiction Indie book (smaller readership) and priced at $2.99 (inexpensive, but not giving it away for a dollar), is something I'm quite happy with...

Anyway, thanks again for posting!

Offline Archer

• Alterra
    • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:48:05 am »
    Well, you have LOTS of fans who know your work is original. I like scifi, and I'm going to add your book to my Kindle collection.
    Too many people enjoy using the word 'rip-off'. You're exactly right...we are ALL inspired by those who have gone before. I'm looking forward to reading Cyberdrome!  :D
    NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:04 am »
    Well, you have LOTS of fans who know your work is original. I like scifi, and I'm going to add your book to my Kindle collection.
    Too many people enjoy using the word 'rip-off'. You're exactly right...we are ALL inspired by those who have gone before. I'm looking forward to reading Cyberdrome!  :D

Thank you again, Archer.
    I spent a year rewriting the first act to make Cyberdrome more accessible to a wider "non-SF" audience, so hopefully an established fantasy author like yourself will be able to enjoy it. Actually, I must have done something right, since one reader just last week told me that "parts of it felt like a fairy tale, rather than a more sophisticated scifi."  I made a decision to write Cyberdrome as a classic "Mythological Hero's Journey" (See Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"). As Carl Jung said, "The repeating characters of the hero myth, such as the young hero, the wise old man, the shape-shifting woman, and the shadowy nemesis, are identical with the archetypes of the human mind, as shown in dreams. That's why myths, and stories constructed on the mythological model, are always psychologically true." If you are familiar with this concept (and I'm sure you are), you will probably recognize each of these archetypes throughout my book.

I should also add here that I am in the middle of your novel, Elfhunter (Elfhunter: A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is), and I have to say you have crossed the same boundary that I tried to, by writing a true fantasy novel that can be enjoyed by a traditionally hard-science fiction reader like myself. Kudos to you!
     ;D

Offline devilmafia

• View Profile
      • clickinsmedia
    woo whooo

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    heard this might be free coming up, im in for free
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline Emily King

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    heard this might be free coming up, im in for free

It's definitely worth paying for, so go for it!  ;D  Seriously... it's only $2.  Or, try a sample first to see if you like it.

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    It's definitely worth paying for, so go for it!  ;D  Seriously... it's only $2.  Or, try a sample first to see if you like it.

Emily,
    I owe you (and Peter Salisbury) a great deal for your numerous kind words regarding the book.
    Thank you again!
    JR

Offline Emily King

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    It's really no problem - I genuinely enjoyed your book and don't mind telling people about it. 

I also have a hard time understanding why people want something for free, when it only would cost $2 in the first place.  That's half of a foo-foo coffee at Starbucks, or even loose change, for many hours of enjoyment (or more if you're a re-reader like I am). 

Out of curiosity, are there any other books in the works?? :)

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    It's really no problem - I genuinely enjoyed your book and don't mind telling people about it.  

I also have a hard time understanding why people want something for free, when it only would cost $2 in the first place.  That's half of a foo-foo coffee at Starbucks, or even loose change, for many hours of enjoyment (or more if you're a re-reader like I am).  

Out of curiosity, are there any other books in the works?? :)

Emily
    Regarding other books in the works: Cyberdrome was written as the first half of a two-part story (that's why I left Alek and the other in the situation they were in at the end of the book (don't want to spoil it for anyone). The second book is fully outlined (in excessive detail) but not started yet and it will take Alek and Maya to places you can't imagine. I am also working on another novel and a short story, both taking place in the far future on an ocean-planet (a planet cover entirely by water), and also another short story taking place in a post-apocalyptic near future (this one I might also try writing as a screenplay.)

What I need is for Cyberdrome to become so popular that it will be optioned as a movie, so that I can afford to go on a 2-year sabbatical from my career job and finish all of these writing projects. Is that asking too much?  :-\

Offline Emily King

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome - the award-wining SF technothriller now on Kindle
    « Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:41:34 am »
    How much is it going to cost in iBooks? I know I can read it in the kindle app on the ipad but the shelf in iBooks looks so empty! :)

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome - the award-wining SF technothriller now on Kindle
    « Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 07:52:18 am »
    How much is it going to cost in iBooks? I know I can read it in the kindle app on the ipad but the shelf in iBooks looks so empty! :)

Hi Emily
    I am keeping all digital version of Cyberdrome as $2.99 across the board (though I may have a sale now and then). Also, both the Kindle version and Smashwords ePub version (for Sony eReader, Apple iPad, and most other readers) are near-exact copies of my paperback, including all section-break graphics and more importantly, the 20-page CGI image gallery at the end (for those who like seeing some of the machines and locations described in the book.) I think it helps to let people know that the book is the exact same price and the exact same "look" wherever you get it and for whatever eReader you use. That's just me...
    Thanks for asking!
    Joe

Offline liannallama

• Huntington Beach, CA
      • View Profile
      • My blog
    Re: Please do NOT buy a copy of Cyberdrome!!
    « Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:57 pm »
    Thanks for making me smile and saving everyone a dollar so we can all have nicely-manicured hands!

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome: >> Now $1.99 <<
    « Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 07:35:32 am »
    Hi Gang,
    As I was doing my taxes this week I realized that I've already made more money off my book in the past 3 months than I thought I would make in the entire year (this was just supposed to be a pay-for-itself-hobby). So, I've decided to "give back" to the community who helped make this happen by lowering the price of Cyberdrome to $1.99 for a while. If you haven't heard of it yet, it's a science fiction thriller that's been compared to a number of movies like TRON, The Matrix, and even Avatar, but it's actually quite different from any of them. Don't take my word for it--check out the reviews, download a sample, and see links below for more information.

Thanks all!
    Joseph Rhea

Links:
    Amazon: www.amazon.com/CYBERDROME-ebook/dp/B0012Q6G5Y
    Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/books/view/7021 ( use coupon code MH98T )

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    Re: Tax break! >> Cyberdrome now just $1.99 <<
    « Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 09:00:42 am »
    I got my copy a while back.
    Have now started to read this book.
    I am about a third of the way into it.
    Very innovative and well-thought out.

Definite Tron overtones.

Will provide a review here when I am finished.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    Re: Tax break! >> Cyberdrome now just $1.99 <<
    « Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »
    I got my copy a while back.
    Have now started to read this book.
    I am about a third of the way into it.
    Very innovative and well-thought out.

Definite Tron overtones.

Will provide a review here when I am finished.

Just sayin......

I appreciate the comments, Geoff, and looking forward to reading your review.
    With the new Tron sequel coming out this December, maybe it finally won't be so bad to be compared to the original movie! Although from the trailer I saw a few days ago, it seems like the sequel is almost a derivation of my book (hacker son enters cyberspace looking for his father, etc.) Luckily I have the copyright date to keep people from saying I copied the new movie as well. ;)

Offline Joseph Rhea

• scientist/scifi author
      • View Profile
    Re: Cyberdrome: the SF Thriller is now just >> 99 cents !! <<
    « Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:43 am »
    As I stated last week, I lowering the price of my science fiction thriller, Cyberdrome, down to 99 cents. This price is good for both the DRM-free Amazon Kindle version and the Smashwords Epub version (using coupon code WV76R). I am promising here in writing that I will keep it at this price until at least June (when the new royalty changes go into effect.) Go to www.Cyberdrome.org to see all the buying options (you can even buy a DTB version if you want! ;) )

Other than bumping this thread once a week or so (or stopping by just to chat), I won't be doing any more promoting on any of the forums, (going to be spending my tiny amount of free time working on the next project) so if you are one of the nearly 1,400 nice people who have already downloaded the book in the past 4 months, please tell others if you liked it. I will be returning the favor for all of my favorite Indie books as well!

Finally, I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take a moment to add my book the Master list of free & under $1 titles available from Amazon thread located at the top of this board (authors are not supposed to add their own books to the list). Thanks in advance.

Cheers all, and thanks!
    Joe

KBoards.com

• Advertisement