Author Topic: Sharing Your Kindle  (Read 5046 times)  

Offline Spiritdancer

• View Profile
Sharing Your Kindle
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:15 am »
Isn't it funny how attached we get to our Kindles?!  My daughter is home from college and started reading Dead Until Dark on my Kindle (Brigit) while I was at work.  She just left to go babysit and I let her take Brigit with her (since I am supposed to be working anyway).  I was like a nervous mother with a newborn...Be careful, watch that she doesn't fall out of the case (still using the one it came with until hopefully I get my Oberon one for Christmas), keep it out of the reach of the kids, etc!  Now that they are gone...my daughter and Brigit  ;)  I feel like something is missing!  First time I think I've been without my Kindle since I got it.  I think I have a serious addiction!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    Re: Sharing Your Kindle
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:07 am »
    That series is very addicting. I am still waiting for my mom to notice all the charges I made to purchase the whole series.

Offline jah

• new york
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:12 am »
    Isn't it funny how attached we get to our Kindles?!  My daughter is home from college and started reading Dead Until Dark on my Kindle (Brigit) while I was at work.  She just left to go babysit and I let her take Brigit with her (since I am supposed to be working anyway).  I was like a nervous mother with a newborn...Be careful, watch that she doesn't fall out of the case (still using the one it came with until hopefully I get my Oberon one for Christmas), keep it out of the reach of the kids, etc!  Now that they are gone...my daughter and Brigit  ;)  I feel like something is missing!  First time I think I've been without my Kindle since I got it.  I think I have a serious addiction!

You nicer then me, I don't let anyone borrow my kindle, Most time I don't let Faith out of my sight

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:39:30 am »
    After trying to share with my daughter for two weeks, I bought her her own. I believe Kindles are inherently unshareable.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline jah

• new york
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:43:02 am »
    After trying to share with my daughter for two weeks, I bought her her own. I believe Kindles are inherently unshareable.

L

I glad that I not the only one who feel like that :)

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:50 am »
    there are a select few who have held Melia. My fellow book-loving friend, my aunt, and my uncle (who now demostrates my kindle at family christmas parties) other than that people can look and touch. I also let my professors hold my kindle.

luckily I am an also the only big reader in the family cuz I don't share electronic device devices with my family. If something out of the ordinary happens to the device everyone blames me. (even when I live on the other side of the state while going to college)
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:47:12 am by Vegas_Asian »

Offline WolfePrincess73

• Colorado
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:46:22 am »
    Share??? My Kindle??? Somebody must be smoking crack!  :D  ;D

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:48:59 am »
    My wife and I have no problem sharing; she has it from 6:00 a.m. until midnight and I can use it the rest of the time.

Offline Spiritdancer

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:19 am »

L

I completely agree!  As soon as I can afford another one she'll be getting her own...probably for her next birthday.  I'll just have to check her bag when she leaves to go back to school!   ;)

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:00:37 am »
    You nicer then me, I don't let anyone borrow my kindle, Most time I don't let Faith out of my sight

I'm with you!  The only time I let my daughter borrow Bibi she had to stay about 4 feet from me.  Other than that?  Forget it.  I'd love to get her one of her own but Christmas gifts were already purchased.  I might try to get her one after Christmas, and after shipping times are reasonable again, for her birthday and Christmas '09.
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline vg

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:03:53 am »
    I'm the same way - noone touches Emerson!  I do have a friend who bought her own after traveling with me and seeing what a great thing Kindles are.  I thought I would be a good pal and loan her my saddle medge leather cover until she could get one of her own (I also have the black leather).  Well,,, that was over a month ago and I don't have my cover back.  Let this be a warning to the rest of you - don't even loan your accessories.  I love that cover -they don't make them anymore, and I don't know if I will ever get it back.   :'(

Offline Mikuto

• Foster City, CA
    • One can never be too well-read.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:00 am »
    I'm planning on loaning it briefly to my roommate so she can read a story from the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, but I've always been pretty bad about...erm..sharing.

Maybe it's because I like to keep my stuff in pristine condition, maybe it's because I've lost some things that were borrowed by other people, whatever, I just like to keep my stuff to myself.
    Not once in my life has my train of thought taken a straight path between point A and point B without stopping to visit Y and F along the way.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:03 am »
    My wife and I have no problem sharing; she has it from 6:00 a.m. until midnight and I can use it the rest of the time.

How generous of Mrs. Jeff.  You are one lucky guy. 

Vampyre

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:34:54 am »
    Nonononononononoooo!  Sharing is out of the question.  borrow my car?, no probs..need a few bucks? no problem..put the Kindle down slowly gently and move away slowly.

I do not share my tooth brush and no one touches the Kindle.

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
    I'm planning on loaning it briefly to my roommate so she can read a story from the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, but I've always been pretty bad about...erm..sharing.

Maybe it's because I like to keep my stuff in pristine condition, maybe it's because I've lost some things that were borrowed by other people, whatever, I just like to keep my stuff to myself.

I adore EQMM!!  Was a subscriber for about 15 years, then let it lapse because I was running out of reading time.  Same with Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine.  One of the big pluses for Kindle over any other ereader was that I can get my mystery mags again.  I'm so excited!  I haven't actually subscribed yet... I've got 6 pages of content to wade through first, but I will be on board with them shortly.
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline Wells83

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:14 am »
    I've offered to share my Kindle with my boyfriend but so far he has yet to take me up on it.  I don't read exclusively on my Kindle, so if I'm reading an old fashioned book, I wouldn't mind if he wanted to use Clementine.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 11:55:17 am »

I think you've hit the nail on the head here Leslie. Maybe because kindle owners by definition tend to be avid readers who feel the need to have a book on hand no matter where we are or what we're doing. Sharing a kindle means having to go for an undefined period of time without having your reading material available to you. That is traumatic for us! Not to mention how a relationship with a friend or relative might be impacted if anything bad happened to the kindle while in the other person's possession. You know the old saying about never loan money to a good friend? Well I think that might be doubly true about kindles.

Offline Mnemosyne

• Atlanta
    • Doesn't speak Destiny
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 12:04:09 pm »
    No one else has gotten to hold Sawyer yet but me. I actually wouldn't mind sharing him with Mr. Nemo, but he still turns his nose up at him.  ::)(grumble "Waste of money..." grumble) I asked him if he would like me to get himAmerican Lion Kindlized for Christmas, and got a haughty snort.
    Oh well. More Sawyer for me!

Nemo

Just Finished: "Nefertiti"

Reading: "The Heretic Queen"

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
    I let my 14 year old grandson read Twilight on mine but I didn't know what to do with myself. I told him I would buy him one, he thought it was cool. I don't think that is what he said but I can't remember the teen lingo.  :)

Linda

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:58 pm »
    It hasn't been an issue for BJ and me, yet. He has such a backlog of DTB's, while I was mostly caught up. That may all change once he is through with those Fire and Ice things that he refuses to say that he hates.   LOL.

Or I may just have to continue to "find" books that he has not read yet....hrmmmmmmmmm.

If that doesn't work, he may end up getting one for his birthday. It is in July, so maybe by then the backlog will have stopped.

Offline kim

• Minnesota, USA
    • Member #701
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:18 pm »
    I think Kindles are like a puppy dog; they are loyal to only one owner.

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:52 pm »
    I think Kindles are like a puppy dog; they are loyal to only one owner.
    Ummmm.... our puppy dog is fanatically devoted to both of us.
    At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:23 pm »
    I let my daughter download the first Twilight books when she was here Thanksgiving so I could show her how it works. Next thing I know she is reading while I am cooking and 2 1/2 days and another downloaded Twilight book later, I finally got my Kindle back! Those 2 1/2 days were agonizing! Kindles were not meant to be shared!

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »
    I let my daughter download the first Twilight books when she was here Thanksgiving so I could show her how it works. Next thing I know she is reading while I am cooking and 2 1/2 days and another downloaded Twilight book later, I finally got my Kindle back! Those 2 1/2 days were agonizing! Kindles were not meant to be shared!
    What a tragedy!  :'(

At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
    After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline BMW

• My rescued babies - Tartan 11 & Jasmine 13
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 11:25:03 pm »
    I have 2 books on Cady that my husband would love to read:
    http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Window-Lincoln-Rhyme-Novel/dp/B0013A1J74/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1229497781&sr=1-3
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Bodies-Left-Behind-Novel/dp/B001KM0Y0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1229498377&sr=1-1

however, as I bought my daughter a Kindle for Xmas and she is coming home for the holidays, he will have to borrow HERS to read them!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement