Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 271525 times)  

Offline azebra

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • You Say Which Way
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #2400 on: January 10, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »
Nice to see this thread resurrected.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
    • Aussie Artist and Author
      • View Profile
      • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
    « Reply #2401 on: January 12, 2018, 02:02:10 am »
    I applied too. When you say Jan 25-27, do you mean in Australian time or Amazon US time? (ie should the promo price continue into our 28th, which is the US's 27th?)

Since we're Aussies, and it's an Australia day promo, we're going with Australian time zone/dates for this one. In the future we'll have to clarify dates a bit more :)

Thanks for signing up!

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
    « Reply #2402 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:18 am »
    Are there any Aussie writers on here who live near the Parkes Radio Telescope? If so please inbox me!

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #2403 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:06 pm »
    It looks like we can kiss our affiliate gift card money goodbye.
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/amazon-to-block-its-us-website-for-aussie-shoppers-over-new-gst-rules-20180531-p4zikr.html

According to this article, Aussies won't be able to buy from the Amazon.com store after July 1. Since the affiliate program only pays non-US peeps in Amazon.com gift cards or cheque, we're now going to be limited to cheques as the gift card option will be useless. I don't know about you guys, but for me, that's akin to hitting my head against the teller window every time I have to deposit foreign currency cheques. It's an incredibly frustrating experience. I've fired off an email to both the affiliate program and to Amazon asking if the gift card balance can be transferred and if there's another payment option, but last time I asked (granted, it was a few years ago), they said no. If someone knows this has changed, please post.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #2404 on: May 30, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
    What I do is set the affiliate payout threshold really high so it's worth going to the bank for.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #2405 on: May 30, 2018, 09:08:24 pm »
    What I do is set the affiliate payout threshold really high so it's worth going to the bank for.

Thanks for this, Patty.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2406 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:14 pm »
    Thanks for this, Patty.

For Createspace (same issue) I just put all payments on hold manually until it had accumulated to an amount that I consider worth going to the bank for. You save a lot on bank fees that way. It's even better if you can somehow coordinate the two and go to the bank with two big cheques and know that there will be a few thousand $$$ in your account later (er. after the clearing period of six weeks. SERIOUSLY)

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #2407 on: May 30, 2018, 09:26:00 pm »
    For Createspace (same issue) I just put all payments on hold manually until it had accumulated to an amount that I consider worth going to the bank for. You save a lot on bank fees that way. It's even better if you can somehow coordinate the two and go to the bank with two big cheques and know that there will be a few thousand $$$ in your account later (er. after the clearing period of six weeks. SERIOUSLY)

I used to do that but have moved everything off CS because I couldn't stand dealing with the banks with cheques. Even going once every few months was a pain. I moved all my print to IS and KDP for Amazon-only. It was surprisingly easy.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2408 on: May 30, 2018, 09:30:51 pm »
    I used to do that but have moved everything off CS because I couldn't stand dealing with the banks with cheques. Even going once every few months was a pain. I moved all my print to IS and KDP for Amazon-only. It was surprisingly easy.

I refuse to do IS for as long as they will charge me $25 a pop to make changes.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2409 on: May 30, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »
    I refuse to do IS for as long as they will charge me $25 a pop to make changes.

I was with LSI and they were also charging $12/year per title, in addition to $49 per change. I had 10 books on there! No thanks.

There's no excuse for it in the digital age, where we fill out the forms, upload the files and check the results ourselves.

They did try to move me to IS earlier this year, but wanted me to fill out all my account details again instead of transferring it. I said no thanks, closed my account, and am only with CS now.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline AlexandraMoody

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2410 on: May 30, 2018, 10:00:23 pm »
    Another option is to set up a borderless account with Transferwise. It's essentially an online bank account and they give you a US bank account number. There are no charges involved except a small fee when you transfer the money to your Australian account (but they use the real exchange rate so well worth it in my opinion). I set this up a couple of months ago for my affiliate earnings and haven't had any issues so far!

Alexandra Moody

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2411 on: May 30, 2018, 11:11:41 pm »
    I'm loving how easy Payoneer has been, only wish I'd done it sooner- all those years of international cheque pain! Good for CS and affiliate payments.
    Also for Ingram spark, if you are a member of ALLI you get free edits and setup.
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:13:14 pm by Selina Fenech »

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #2412 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:36 pm »
    I was with LSI and they were also charging $12/year per title, in addition to $49 per change. I had 10 books on there! No thanks.

You don't have to pay setup fees! I've got dozens of books there and never paid a cent. There are always promo codes floating around. Right now you can use SELFPUB and all setup fees are waived.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
      • CJ Archer
    « Reply #2413 on: May 30, 2018, 11:17:24 pm »
    There was a reason I didn't want to go with Payoneer but I can't remember why. It's been years since I looked into it. I'll look into Transferwise though, thanks Alexandra.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2414 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:03 am »
    You don't have to pay setup fees! I've got dozens of books there and never paid a cent. There are always promo codes floating around. Right now you can use SELFPUB and all setup fees are waived.

Thanks for that!

In the end, I was only involved with LSI because I wanted local Aussie printing and distribution, but guess what ... it's cheaper for Aussies to order my Createspace books from BookDepository with their free postage.

In fact, ALL of my novels are cheaper in AUD$ on BookDepository than regular trade published paperbacks are in Dymocks.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline TellNotShow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2415 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:26 pm »
    Thanks for that!

In the end, I was only involved with LSI because I wanted local Aussie printing and distribution, but guess what ... it's cheaper for Aussies to order my Createspace books from BookDepository with their free postage.

In fact, ALL of my novels are cheaper in AUD$ on BookDepository than regular trade published paperbacks are in Dymocks.

Always seemed to me that CS "royalties" were only better for us when the book sold on Amazon, but much worse through "expanded distribution".

Problem is, by the time all the Amazon-owned companies have taken "their share" of the sale, we usually end up with a dollar or something from a BookDepository sale through Createspace. Surely LS got you a bigger share of the pie?

Descent Into Madness: 99%

How To Win KBoards Friends and Not Puss People Off: 0.1%

Writing Desk Space Won Back From Dangerous Cat: 0.2%
    All things in moderation

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2416 on: May 31, 2018, 07:18:27 pm »
    There was a reason I didn't want to go with Payoneer but I can't remember why. It's been years since I looked into it. I'll look into Transferwise though, thanks Alexandra.

My reason was the percentage fee on payments received (plus the extra fees) made Payoneer a bit costly for transfers of larger amounts of money. Transferwise does look interesting though.

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2417 on: May 31, 2018, 09:28:41 pm »
    My reason was the percentage fee on payments received (plus the extra fees) made Payoneer a bit costly for transfers of larger amounts of money. Transferwise does look interesting though.

I looked at this quite closely when I signed up. From what I understood, even with the % they charge on incoming/outgoing payments, their stated currency conversion amount is much less than what banks (try not to state and make it very hard to find) snag on their currency conversion. I haven't got time to check right now, but payoneer was something like 2% on top of the standard rate, and banks are generally 4-5% on top of the standard rate. So it actually worked out better from what I could understand of it all.

Plus if you're earning decent amounts, Payoneer have a "VIP" level where they waive a bunch of transaction fees. I don't know the exact amounts or anything, but it was a nice surprise to get that email and bonus after already deciding they were better than getting cheques.

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2418 on: May 31, 2018, 09:47:04 pm »
    Thanks for that, Selina.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2419 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:14 pm »
    Always seemed to me that CS "royalties" were only better for us when the book sold on Amazon, but much worse through "expanded distribution".

Problem is, by the time all the Amazon-owned companies have taken "their share" of the sale, we usually end up with a dollar or something from a BookDepository sale through Createspace. Surely LS got you a bigger share of the pie?

I barely sold anything through Createspace, and I don't think I sold a single copy in Australia.

The low royalty on CS expanded distribution makes sense, because the bookstore has to take a cut over and above the printing cost and CS's profit. (Whether that bookstore  is owned by Amazon or not.)

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Deadish Online
    « Reply #2420 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »

Thanks for that!

I wonder if Amazon's decision to block Australians from international shows will apply to Book Depository too? I'm assuming so, and as a reader I'm gutted. Bright side: at least there's Fishpond, and they offer free postage now. From the US, I assume. :-\

One advantage to going through IS is having paper books distributed to Fishpond and Booktopia online stores - although I don't know, do CreateSpace offer the same channels?

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2421 on: June 01, 2018, 03:34:33 am »
    I just checked, and yes Fishpond have my Createspace-published novels listed, with free postage from the US.

Be nice if Amazon started printing in Australia, although from the pricing it would still cost more here than printing in the US!  Maybe they'd print in Singapore or HK and ship to Australia from there.

I doubt Bookdepository will ban aussies, as they don't have a local presence.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2422 on: June 01, 2018, 03:39:16 am »
    Can you get Payoneer to deposit into your local bank account?

Offline Escapee

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2423 on: June 01, 2018, 06:17:35 am »
    Can you get Payoneer to deposit into your local bank account?

Yep. I've been using Payoneer for Amazon and Createspace payments for years now. The payments are deposited to my Oz account and they have a pretty good exchange rate. They do keep 1% of every transaction, plus corporate fees on top, but my accountant takes all that into account when doing my tax, so at least I get some of the fees back.

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Deadish Online
    « Reply #2424 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
    I just checked, and yes Fishpond have my Createspace-published novels listed, with free postage from the US.

Be nice if Amazon started printing in Australia, although from the pricing it would still cost more here than printing in the US!  Maybe they'd print in Singapore or HK and ship to Australia from there.

I doubt Bookdepository will ban aussies, as they don't have a local presence.

Ahh... it's good that both CS and IS distribute to Fishpond, at least.

Book Depository is owned by Amazon though - hence my concern. Could go either way, I suppose; depends how separate Amazon keeps it from its main business.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement