Author Topic: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 271431 times)  

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Deadish Online
Re: The AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #2425 on: June 01, 2018, 11:16:58 pm »
Ahhhhhh I just realised that a) Ingram Spark distribute to Amazon AU; and b) Book Depository products are available on the Amazon AU site as well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2426 on: June 01, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
    When you make a Payaneer acount, do you just change your bank details on Amazon, and they pay into your Payaneer account? What about US tax? I know we pay 5% already if you gave Amazon your tax file number, but does going the Payaneer route change that?
    I write 2600 words per hour!

Offline Escapee

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2427 on: June 02, 2018, 07:01:20 am »
    When you make a Payaneer acount, do you just change your bank details on Amazon, and they pay into your Payaneer account? What about US tax? I know we pay 5% already if you gave Amazon your tax file number, but does going the Payaneer route change that?

Yep, you just need to change your bank account on Amazon. Payoneer will send you an email once they have your US account set up. It will have the routing number, swift code and account number you need to input. I have my Aus royalties going directly to my Aus account, since it is sent by EFT rather than wire transfer and doesn't cost anything in fees and charges. No point sending that to Payoneer. You'll have to select which countries to send the royalties to the US account on Amazon, though. The tax won't change. It'll still be the normal 5% and you don't have to change anything at all.

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2428 on: June 02, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »
    Yep, you just need to change your bank account on Amazon. Payoneer will send you an email once they have your US account set up. It will have the routing number, swift code and account number you need to input. I have my Aus royalties going directly to my Aus account, since it is sent by EFT rather than wire transfer and doesn't cost anything in fees and charges. No point sending that to Payoneer. You'll have to select which countries to send the royalties to the US account on Amazon, though. The tax won't change. It'll still be the normal 5% and you don't have to change anything at all.

Thanks!

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2429 on: June 02, 2018, 08:58:56 pm »
    When setting up your Payoneer Account with Amazon, do you do it through KDP, or do you use the option to link Amazon with Payoneer via the option in your account on Payoneer?

I checked out the Payoneer option, and it only seems to allow you to choose one Amazon store and one account. That would be annoying if all of the stores had to go through one or two bank accounts via Payoneer.

Instead, I added the bank accounts Payoneer gave me via Global Payment Service option and used the bank details from the US, EU in KDP and had the stores either go to the US bank, or the EU one. Was that they right way to do this?

On a side note, the United Kingdom bank didn't work, as Amazon wants an account number that is longer than the one Payoneer gave me.

Also, istn't it sad Amazon won't transfer to Paypal, when pretty much every other online retailer pays out in Paypal if you want them to. I don't get it.

Thanks!

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2430 on: June 02, 2018, 09:06:35 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:23:47 pm by Forgettable »

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2431 on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:24 pm »

Also, istn't it sad Amazon won't transfer to Paypal, when pretty much every other online retailer pays out in Paypal if you want them to. I don't get it.

Eggsactly!

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2432 on: June 02, 2018, 11:11:53 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:23:28 pm by Forgettable »

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #2433 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:14 pm »
    Paypal is (or at least was) owned by Ebay, one of Amazon's biggest competitors. It's not surprising Amazon doesn't use that platform.

I can never get over how stupid childish these companies are.

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2434 on: June 02, 2018, 11:27:15 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:23:00 pm by Forgettable »

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2435 on: June 02, 2018, 11:29:50 pm »
    I'd be happy with an Amazon-backed mastercard/visa debit card. They can brand it, send me the card, and give me the option of banking all my royalties/affiliates/whatever into that account. Also, it would be nice if they would deduct AMS spend from there BEFORE the 5% tax is deducted, since the AMS is a business expense, no?

Ahh, utopia. I guess I'll just have to write one instead.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2436 on: June 03, 2018, 04:55:24 am »
    Paypal is (or at least was) owned by Ebay

I think they got a divorce.

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2437 on: June 03, 2018, 05:15:44 am »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:22:34 pm by Forgettable »

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2438 on: June 03, 2018, 06:23:31 am »
    Probably a bit early for this, but does anyone (particularly anyone in Melbourne) use an accountant for their book stuff? My day job and financial life is straightforward enough that I don't need one for that, but I did have a good one last financial year - good except he was damn near impossible to get in touch with when I was trying to get my tax bill paid off* before the deadline. I could just go to HR Block I guess, but if anyone in Melbourne has an accountant who's used to doing small (measly small) business stuff, especially anything to do with self publishing, I'd love to know.

(*You might wonder why, if he was a good accountant, I ended up with a tax bill at all. Turns out my day job didn't tell the ATO about my HECS debt. Whoops!)

Shane Carrow

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #2439 on: June 03, 2018, 01:31:34 pm »
    Probably a bit early for this, but does anyone (particularly anyone in Melbourne) use an accountant for their book stuff? My day job and financial life is straightforward enough that I don't need one for that, but I did have a good one last financial year - good except he was damn near impossible to get in touch with when I was trying to get my tax bill paid off* before the deadline. I could just go to HR Block I guess, but if anyone in Melbourne has an accountant who's used to doing small (measly small) business stuff, especially anything to do with self publishing, I'd love to know.

(*You might wonder why, if he was a good accountant, I ended up with a tax bill at all. Turns out my day job didn't tell the ATO about my HECS debt. Whoops!)

I have used Accounting Solutions, Bairnsdale for years. Excellent service and they know their stuff. I've never met them personally - all done by email. Easy peasey. Link: http://www.accountingsolutionsvictoria.com.au/

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
    « Reply #2440 on: June 03, 2018, 01:51:34 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/Colin-Perryman-Accounting-Services-115468709133801/
    Colin Perryman. He works remotely if needed and has loads of experience in the creative industries. Hes also very nice and quite affordable.

Cozy Fantasy / Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
    Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2441 on: June 05, 2018, 04:05:21 am »
    Createspace have been slowly adding to my Euro balance for about 7 years now without getting to the 108 Euro threshold required to issue a cheque. If Payoneer can wring that out of them it's worth a try.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    « Reply #2442 on: June 06, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »
    I have used Accounting Solutions, Bairnsdale for years. Excellent service and they know their stuff. I've never met them personally - all done by email. Easy peasey. Link: http://www.accountingsolutionsvictoria.com.au/
    https://www.facebook.com/Colin-Perryman-Accounting-Services-115468709133801/
    Colin Perryman. He works remotely if needed and has loads of experience in the creative industries. Hes also very nice and quite affordable.

Thanks!

Shane Carrow

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #2443 on: June 07, 2018, 02:30:26 am »
    Createspace have been slowly adding to my Euro balance for about 7 years now without getting to the 108 Euro threshold required to issue a cheque. If Payoneer can wring that out of them it's worth a try.

Payoneer are really good for getting those smaller payments :)

I recently thought about moving to Transferwise but you need an ABN. I've got one but the letter they sent me with it on is back home in Australia so it might take a while before I can open an account.

Offline Forgettable

• View Profile
    « Reply #2444 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:45 am »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:18:35 pm by Forgettable »

Offline Book Cat

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2445 on: June 09, 2018, 04:02:01 am »
    Does anyone know hot to set up a United Kingdom bank account on Amazon? I am using Payoneer, and trying to add the British bank details into KDP, but the account number does not have enough numbers in it. Amazon says it has a minimum of 15, and yet the account number on Payoneer is only 8 numerals long.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I am also not sure why no royalties have been paid into my US account. The EU one got paid within a few days of me setting up the account, but the US one has nothing. I think Payoneer said Amazon was transferring money to it, and yet none showed up and it does not show up under the "payments" tab in Reports on KDP.

I am confused. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2446 on: June 09, 2018, 04:36:54 am »
    I just used the US account for all currencies (barring AUD and those which are over 100 a month anyway)

If you think about it, US authors get paid their euros/mexican whatevers/brazilian reals when the balance reaches US$10, and don't need separate accounts for them all. We're doing the same thing.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2447 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:05 am »
    Payoneer are really good for getting those smaller payments :)

Just confirming amazon KDP and Createspace have indeed coughed up all those small EU/JPY/whatever amounts they've been accruing on my behalf. I just got a large batch of emails from them.

The oldest amounts are from 2012.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #2448 on: June 14, 2018, 03:38:46 am »
    If you think about it, US authors get paid their euros/mexican whatevers/brazilian reals when the balance reaches US$10

I get payments of less than $10 every month. Indeed, I once got a payment of 97 cents from the BR store.
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #2449 on: June 14, 2018, 04:23:31 am »
    I get payments of less than $10 every month. Indeed, I once got a payment of 97 cents from the BR store.

Thanks! That's good news indeed.

I was probably thinking of Createspace, because I thought one of them had a min $10. Ohh .. maybe it's the amazon affiliates account?

Anyway, better in my pocket than theirs!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement