Author Topic: Our 6th Book to Hit #1 Free; Plus Thoughts on Select & Marketing in General  (Read 1701 times)  

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
We've given away well over 1 million books via Select, adding another 110,000+ to that total this past week when we had one book hit #1 and another hit #3. That brings the number of books we've had at #1 Free to 6, and the number to hit in the Top 5 to 10 that I can remember. The current freebies are on Day 5 of being free, with totals of 65,000 and 42,000 freeloads. We have a 3rd book, a novella, with no ad support and 4000 freeloads.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:02:56 pm by PhoenixS »
Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gennita Low

• Spy-fy and military romance: love & flying bullets
      • View Profile
      • A LOW PROFILE
    Re: Our 6th Book to Hit #1 Free; Plus Thoughts on Select & Marketing in General
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »
    As always, Phoenix, your thoughts/strategies/advice are a gold mine of information from which to learn and dissect for use.

I've always stressed that each author has a different path, with different needs and should always modify all the wonderful advice available so that they fit the author's books. It's also so encouraging to see your numbers because it shows that if I learn to market as well as you do, I can make a good living off my new books AND back list ;).

I'm not there yet but each year gets better. I moan a bit about my failures but only here at KB, to my understanding friends. But I'm always trying new ways to see which ones work for my books.

For myself, SELECT hasn't worked since February of this year. The book, a first of a series, has always generated great downloads and did the same this time, but the follow-up sales for the entire series were 1/3 of 2011 sales #s. Not complaining, just something I noted.

OTOH, twe 99ct sales earlier this year have generated good downloads on various platforms and the sales of related books went up. The uptick didn't last long, but at least I know a 99ct sale works.

My current plan is to try making an anthology of my Books 1 and 2 of a series just before Book 5 comes out and selling the antho for 99cts. Hopefully, that will get readers to buy #3 at $2.99 and #4, a short story, for .99cts AND go for the new book at $4.99. Actually, I haven't decided on the $4.99 price--I'm waging an internal war of whether to make it cheap and get maximum sales through impulse buys (and maybe get on the list) OR just have steady sales. From experience, last year, my new $4.99 earned $10,000 the first month and the half it came out, so I'm hoping for a repeat performance (fingers crossed!) for this coming new book.

Anyway, I love your posts and want to thank you for always sharing your information and showing me paths to make it work. I bow to your Inner Businesswoman!
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:16:20 pm by Gennita Low »
    Rooferauthor
    Mutant Poms Mommy Squirrel Whisperer
    NYT and USA Today Bestselling Author

Offline ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:21 pm »
    Bumping this thread.

There are several KBers who share experiences and data and insights that benefit us all. For me, the list includes Phoenix and Ed Robertson and Elle Casey and David Gaughran and Russell Blake.

Just thought this thread deserved more visibility.

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:56 pm »
    HUGE congrats!!!  :)

Offline Shayne Parkinson

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • My Writing
    « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »
    Wonderfully useful thoughts and experiences, Phoenix. Thank you for sharing them. And congratulations!

Offline CLStone

• View Profile
      • Obsession is the Goal
    « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »
    Great information, Phoenix. Would you say when you promote with BookBub or other sites, that you hit those ads venues pretty hard whenever and however often you can for each freebie released, whether permanent or from Select?

New covers and second book release: Coming soon!
    Ask me for a freebie!

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:35:57 pm by PhoenixS »
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline BlankPage

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
    Comment removed due to VS TOS 24/9/2018
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:46:10 am by BlankPage »

Offline Mike Dennis

• Key West
    • From the shadows of Key West
      • View Profile
      • Mike Dennis / noir fiction
    Please. No more "It's a marathon, not a sprint" lectures from people who have sprinted to wild success.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement