Author Topic: What features would you like to see Amazon implement?  (Read 9227 times)  

Offline Michael_J_Sullivan

• Fairfax, VA
    • View Profile
What features would you like to see Amazon implement?
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:44 am »
Just did the survey about reviews - thanks for posting that by the way.  And it made me think of what things I would want from Amazon with regards to the page.

I think their "also bought" is one of the most powerful means of discoverability but sometimes it is dominated by the author's works. I wish they would split that into two bars.

1. that has only "other authors" in it
2. one that has books by the author in question in it.

That way I can see what other books are their most popular, but I have more space to find similar authors that I might like to read.

Does anyone else have any other ideas they would like to see on the page?
Wikipedia | Amazon | Twitter | Blog/Website |  Bundled Hollow World DRM-free ebooks with purchase of print or audio

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ElisaBlaisdell

• View Profile
      • One Word After Another
    Re: What features would you like to see Amazon implement?
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:09:10 am »
    Let authors know how many views their book pages, (and author page) are getting.

Offline Michael_J_Sullivan

• Fairfax, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:16:40 am »
    Let authors know how many views their book pages, (and author page) are getting.

Oh...that's a good one!
    Wikipedia | Amazon | Twitter | Blog/Website |  Bundled Hollow World DRM-free ebooks with purchase of print or audio

Offline RJ Kennett

• Houston, TX
    • Certified Zombie Linguist
      • View Profile
      • RJ Kennett - Author
    « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:25 am »

Exactly. It would give us an idea of how many product views convert to sales. That information could tell us to rework the blurb or the cover. And if there aren't many pageviews, then it tells us we have a marketing problem. It would help us target a fix. Now, we just guess.

I'd also like to know how readers found my book; direct click on an external link, searching through categories, via the also-boughts, keyword search (and which keywords) - all of that would help us from a marketing perspective.

RJ Kennett | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Book Master

• Sevierville Tennessee
    • Every Word Counts
      • View Profile
      • BookMaster007
    « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:45:40 am »
    Change the Refund Policy for Returned Books to 24 hours! I read many Authors being sandbagged by Readers purchasing their books, keeping them just long enough to read, and returning them for their money back.A book isn't a hairdryer or a new pair of shoes. Once the book is read, it has served its purpose to the reader.
    It is unfair to the Authors. In all fairness, it should be set in stone to an hours limit. I'm sure many would love for Zon to correct this return policyon ebooks.

BM                  

Offline NicWilson

• Vancouver, WA
    • Softly Softly Catchee Monkey
      • View Profile
      • NicolasWilson.com
    « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:47:11 am »
    I'd love the ability to program sales ahead of time, same way you schedule a Select promotion, and for there to be a strikethrough for those sales, so customers understand the deal being offered. Having to completely republish every time with a new price is just clunky, and I have to figure it's making more work for them, too. But yeah, data on the traffic to our books/pages would be really helpful, too.

Nicolas Wilson | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Adirondack Mountains, Northern NY (almost Canada)
    • BillSmithBooks.com, Outlaw Galaxy &Star Wars books
      • View Profile
      • www.BillSmithBooks.com
    « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:50:12 am »
    1) As a reader, I would love to be able to buy non-DRMd books and directly download them (like Smashwords, Weightless, Baen, Drive-Thru, Angry Robot, Book View Cafe and many others offer) WITHOUT having to use the proprietary Kindle app.

(Kind of like how Amazon does with MP3s...this isn't a radical notion, Amazon already does this with other digital products.)

I would buy a LOT more books from Amazon that way.

2) Add word count to the book listings (maybe with a description for readers, IE, "Most readers read about 15,000 words an hour." or even do an automatic words=reading time listing for each book -- (45 pages, 15,000 words, reading time: one hour)

The page count thing seems to be pretty inconsistent.

I know this would not work in every case due to the varied natures of some books...but this might still be a useful guide for many readers.

3) Please, PLEASE fix the Amazon forums -- give us a way to see a master forum page/listing and the individual categorized threads, the way Kboards is organized.

4) Restricting reviews to people who have purchased books could clean up a significant amount of the BS that goes on with fake reviews, both good and bad.
    Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series and several Star Wars books. Visit him at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Blogging at www.BillSmithBooks.blogspot.com. The Outlaw Galaxy series features free-wheeling space fantasy action-adventure...fun for readers of all ages. Outlaw Galaxy: Little Wind and Other Tales (short story collection) is now FREE at most retailers.
    Bill Smith | Outlaw Galaxy: Hunter\'s Truth and Other Tales | BillSmithBooks.com | BillSmithBlog.com

bardsandsages

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:58:35 am »
    4) Restricting reviews to people who have purchased books could clean up a significant amount of the BS that goes on with fake reviews, both good and bad.

Except most of the for-profit review seller sites now include in their pricing the "cost" of the book and buy it specifically to get the "verified purchase" label.

And though we have had this conversation elsewhere on KB, it also would prevent legitimate book reviewers who get comp copies from leaving reviews, thus destroying the ability of authors who use giveaways on Goodreads and elsewhere to generate reviews.

bardsandsages

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:00:09 am »
    I would just be happy if Amazon would allow the ability to actually "show" a sale price instead of having to play price-matching games with other vendors.

Offline 16205

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:00 am »
    1. An upgrade to the reports, such as all countries visible on one page and totals for everything.
    2. The ability to offer sales (where the regular price has a strike-through) without having to price match to make it happen.
    3. Integration of Createspace into KDP, so there's just one place to go to make changes/uploads etc. Under 'Bookshelf', perhaps there are two choices, ebooks and print books. For those who don't use CS, no problem, just use whatever service you choose. For those that do, it would be less clicks to check stats and manage print copies.

:D

vhfolland

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:33 am »
    1) As a Kindle for PC user, I'd like to be able to buy books on a PC other than my own. If I see an ebook during my lunch hour at work, I'd like to be able to buy it at work, and have it added to my account to download to my library when I get home. Instead I just get a page reading "This computer does not have a Kindle device on it" and a request to load the software on before I can purchase. This might be a UK issue, but with the cloud I really don't understand the problem.

2) Kindle gifting -
    a) catch the UK up with the US and
    b) allow gifting books straight from the KDP dashboard to users in regions the book is available in. It would make sending review copies a lot simpler.

Offline Ashy

• North AL
    • Creative Cyclone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:04:53 am »
    Book-specific gift certificates

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
      • The Descendants
    « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:28 am »
    Just give us literally everything the *much smaller* DriveThru Fiction does:

- Bundling for your own books and multiple authors' books.
    - Coupons
    - detailed book data such as what else was bought with your books
    - incremented volume numbering (2.2, 2.3)
    - commission system for on-site promos.
    - Paypal payment option
    - ability to price as free natively
    - absolutely nothing resembling SELECT or Borrows.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
    The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline nico

• View Profile
      • Elizabeth Cole, Historical Romance Author
    « Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:19:52 am »
    I'd like to see:

1. Coupon codes for discounts on ebooks.

2. Support for ePub format, drop mobi/KF8 (never going to happen)

3. Regional sales stats (by State, Province, etc)

That's what i have off the top of my head.
    (representing) Elizabeth Cole | author website | twitter | facebook | amazon | apple
    Join "The Zodiac" and try Elizabeth Cole's books for FREE

Offline ElisaBlaisdell

• View Profile
      • One Word After Another
    « Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 09:30:27 am »
    Exactly. It would give us an idea of how many product views convert to sales. That information could tell us to rework the blurb or the cover. And if there aren't many pageviews, then it tells us we have a marketing problem. It would help us target a fix. Now, we just guess.

I'd also like to know how readers found my book; direct click on an external link, searching through categories, via the also-boughts, keyword search (and which keywords) - all of that would help us from a marketing perspective.

And all this helps Amazon sell more books.... win/win

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
      • View Profile
      • Wyrm Tales Press
    « Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:45 am »
    I'd like to know on both Author Central and Create Space the dates of the book sales, not just the total sales. It would help me a lot to have a better feel for which of my promotions are having an effect.

bardsandsages

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 09:43:19 am »
    I'd like to know on both Author Central and Create Space the dates of the book sales, not just the total sales. It would help me a lot to have a better feel for which of my promotions are having an effect.

Books sold through CS are reported based on sales to retailers, not customers. i.e. If BN orders ten copies of my book on October 1st, Createspace will record those sales as of October 1st. If it takes BN three months to sell those copies, it doesn't matter as I was already paid for them. This is even sometimes true with sales made directly to Amazon. Sometimes Amazon buys copies of a title to keep in inventory. So if Amazon buys five books on 10/5, that will show up on your Createspace report almost immediately. But Amazon might not sell those copies for two weeks.

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • Terrence OBrien
    « Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 10:05:18 am »
    "At the end of the day they are JUST the distributor of my story or book. I'm the one who put blood and sweat and time into the damned thing and here they are kind of making off with the bulk of my money. Grrrrrrrrrr"

I'm just the author, and am easily replaced. Amazon is not easily replaced, and without Amazon the financial value of my product would be close to zero.
    When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
    terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
    For UK Readers At Amazon UK
    For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
      • View Profile
      • Wyrm Tales Press
    « Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 10:09:19 am »
    Interesting.

On Saturday, I had sold no paper books; on Sunday night, I'd sold 4. I may sell 4-6 paper books in a month total, so I thought that was rather cool to have that many be sold, but I was wondering why that happened.

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
      • View Profile
      • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
    « Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 10:13:57 am »
    I'd like to be able to set a different royalty in the US and the UK. They are different markets. We seem to be a bit more cheapskate than you right now.

Offline Deke

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 10:15:33 am »
    --auto update...so I revise my book as easily as I revise a blog.
    --motion-graphics so I can animate my covers and illustrations.

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 10:21:22 am »

This.

I'd also like to see how many clicked on the "Look Inside."

I did hear of a way to get a crude count of clicks on your product page, although I haven't tried it. As part of the product description, put in a short author bio with a picture of yourself that's uploaded from another site (that keeps a view-count). If you don't share that picture link with anyone else, the view count should give you an idea of how many times it loaded to the Amazon product page. However, I've also heard this won't work if you already have an Amazon author page.

Offline Jan Thompson

• USA
    • JanThompson.com/books
      • View Profile
      • JanThompson.com/books
    « Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 10:24:55 am »
    I want Amazon to:

On the book page description:
    - List word count for novels in addition page numbers that are subjective to printed book dimensions.
    - Differentiate publishers listed under "Publisher" on the book page so I can tell if the book is really self-published or published by a small press or independent publisher. Right now there's no way to differentiate bc self-publishers can arbitrarily name their imprints or DBA.
    - Allow readers to choose what 10% of sampling they want. Right now it's the first 10% of the book. I want to be able to sample the middle section of the novel. I've read too many books that are perfect in the first 30% and then fizzle out the rest of the novel and I've wasted my money.

For authors:
    - I want Amazon to lift the $9.99 upper limit on 70% royalties to match tradpubs which seem to be listing their ebooks in the $11.99 - $15.99 range. What royalties do they get? How come indies can't go there e.g. for bundles and trilogies and 12-book series without losing the 70% royalties? Maybe Joe Nobody has done some statistical analysis on this? :-)
    - On the author page, to allow authors to create a Series section so that I, as a reader, can see all the books in the series instead of ALL the books the author ever wrote. Many indie authors write multiple series and right now they're all jumbled together. Or maybe I'm not looking at the page the right way -- someone can correct me here.

For Kindles:
    - Allow Kindle App users to be able to sort ebooks into subfolders so I can separate my ebooks by genres or "must read" vs "later" :-)

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
      • View Profile
      • Terrence OBrien
    « Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:28 am »
    Give me a file with one record per day showing date, title, market, and sales. Then I can manipulate the data myself.
    When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
    terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
    For UK Readers At Amazon UK
    For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Cherise

• View Profile
      • dogaliens.com
    « Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:40 am »
    I wish KDP would send me one daily email with my sales figures like CreateSpace does, so I could quit checking sales and get back to writing. Absent that, at least integrate all the different sites on this daily email report, with a grand total for all. I hate having to drop down to all the different sites to check sales numbers.

Seconding the wants for:
    scheduled sales price with strike-through of regular price
    price changes without the need to republish
    analytics so we know how shoppers found our book page and how many found it vs bought
    lift the $9.99 upper limit on 70% royalties
    Book-specific gift certificates
    Allow co-authors to set up a profit share agreement like they have on ACX.  So co-authors could state 50\50 share or 25/25/25/25 share... and KDP would pay them their share, directly

Do NOT want:
    Readers to be able to tell at a glance that I am self-published
    readers to choose what 10% of sampling they want (They will sample the entire book instead of buying.)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement