Kindle Forum banner

When does PermaFree Starts Drawing Sales, in Your Experience?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SBJones 
#1 ·
I’m running a Freeboksy ad and my free book for kids got 800 downloads to date. Yet, only 1 person bought the second book yet. Of course a few days is way too short to see an uptick, even I realize this :) But it’s a short illustrated book for kids, after all, takes 20 minutes to read aloud.

In your experience, what’s the reasonable expectation for folks to buy the second book?

As always, I start blaming myself and have that urge to re-write urgently... before I do that, would love to hear about your experience and get some valuable perspective.

#3 ·
My only experience is with longer books in series, but the tail on my promos is typically a month or more.

You get the enthusiastic readers within a week, then you languish in the to-read piles for a while like a literary time-release capsule and the buys come in waves after that, usually coinciding with the end of the week or month when folks get paid.

#5 ·
I know I sometimes download books (free OR paid) that I might not read for 6-12 months. I've gone on to buy other works by some of those authors, although even then, not immediately after finishing one book. I take my time on decisions. :)

I think people are quicker to buy books in a series, because they may feel they're reading one long story.

If people read your book, and like it, you should eventually see sales on your other books, though. You just might not be able to tell where they came from, and when.

#6 ·
800 freebie giveaways is not enough to cause a "deluge" of sales. In general, you get 1-2 sales for every 100 copies given away. It's very low especially from advertised freebies.

You also may get a couple of snarky 1-star reviews of people who haven't read the description.

It's not worth it, IMO. I don't advertise my permafree except to genre readers. The sell-through is much higher when people find your book organically, and there are not as many bad reviews either.

Permafree works, but it's a long-term strategy.

#8 ·
Vaalingrade said:
My only experience is with longer books in series, but the tail on my promos is typically a month or more.

You get the enthusiastic readers within a week, then you languish in the to-read piles for a while like a literary time-release capsule and the buys come in waves after that, usually coinciding with the end of the week or month when folks get paid.
This for my novels-

Christa Wick said:
If it is first free in a serial, usually second day -- this is erotic romance. Genre mileage may vary.
-and this for my erotica.

#9 ·
Patty Jansen said:
800 freebie giveaways is not enough to cause a "deluge" of sales. In general, you get 1-2 sales for every 100 copies given away. It's very low especially from advertised freebies.

You also may get a couple of snarky 1-star reviews of people who haven't read the description.

It's not worth it, IMO. I don't advertise my permafree except to genre readers. The sell-through is much higher when people find your book organically, and there are not as many bad reviews either.

Permafree works, but it's a long-term strategy.
I fire off a few promos to a handful of free sites a month just to spike my Free in Fantasy rank.

Part of the beauty of permafree is that you can stagger your promos, creating a continual cycle where you're almost always getting eyes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.