Author Topic: An idea for pitching your local newspaper: make it a trend piece  (Read 242 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
An idea for pitching your local newspaper: make it a trend piece
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:24:48 am »
Some local self-publishers and I weren't having much success getting mentioned in our local paper (note, the arts reporter told me that they pitches on a at least a dozen self-published books a week).

We tried a new tactic: pitching them on a trend of writers going indie. It worked out very well! I and three other writers were able to get in today's Tacoma News Tribune. http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/11/22/2907181/writers-going-indie.html.

If you try it, it really helped to have an author in the mix who had traditionally published and then gone indie.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Paul Kohler

• View Profile
    Re: An idea for pitching your local newspaper: make it a trend piece
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:56 am »
    I have thought about approaching my local papers as well.  When you pitched and were accepted, did they write the piece about the four of you, or was it written by one of their writers?  How did you make the pitch?  Email or query letter?

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    Re: An idea for pitching your local newspaper: make it a trend piece
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:19:21 am »
    Paul, it was an email to the reporter with an arts beat. We knew her personally already, so it wasn't entirely out of the blue.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement